• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

just got the cameo ending and debt ending
and with that im done with the game
ok guys next Tales on the list are
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles,Tales of Eternia, or Tales of Phantasia(PSX)
until i pick up Hearts R in November these are the Tales games i have left to play unless the Destiny PS2 translation is finished soon(or Rebirth)

LuuKyK

Just got the game yesterday and I am loving it.

The new cities/ares are great. I love Duval, as small as it is. And that bridge that connect both worlds is very cool looking as well.

I felt right at home when I heard muttons, fresh muttons there too. Lol

I am still a bit confused about the debt system, like can I just, keep paying? I am afraid to miss something if I overpay or something. Are there missions tied to the "tier" of debt you are in?

Btw, Nova is completely nuts. Lol

RalchAC

It's near the end of chapter 13. Also, it'd be better to kill the elite monsters after you're done with the game since you need to kill 18 of them under 2 minutes.

Mmmm, i think I've reached that point. They basically tell you
if you want to fight Chronos using the Chromatus or not. I obviously choose to not use it. And I didn't use it during the fight just in case. Now Elle isn't in my party so I don't have the bar unlocked

Albin's chapter 4 was quite sad and seeing
great spirit Aska being so jealous of Milla
in Milla's chapter 4 was a lol. The story they tell there was quite interesting though.

Can somebody tell me without spoilers what's the point of no return in the game? I have a game save at the end of Chapters 10 and 12 just in case.

Edit: Damn phone

Saphirax

Mmmm, i think I've reached that point. They basically tell you
if you want to fight Chronos using the Chromatus or not. I obviously choose to not use it. And I didn't use it during the fight just in case. Now Elle isn't in my party so I don't have the bar unlocked

Albin's chapter 4 was quite sad and seeing
great spirit Aska being so jealous of Milla
in Milla's chapter 4 was a lol. The story they tell there was quite interesting though.

Can somebody tell me without spoilers what's the point of no return in the game? I have a game save at the end of Chapters 10 and 12 just in case.

Edit: Damn phone

There's a save point before the last fight. You can't miss it. Once you obtain the clear save data it just throws you to that save point.

Falk

that puzzling face
I am still a bit confused about the debt system, like can I just, keep paying? I am afraid to miss something if I overpay or something. Are there missions tied to the "tier" of debt you are in?

Each main chapter is locked behind one paywall (lol)

Paying again before finishing that next main chapter nets you rewards, although the prices keep going up (proportionally to rewards from job postings) so you spend roughly the same amount of time getting bonus rewards regardless of where you are in the story. Some of the items are really helpful but on the other hand paying off all the debt is much easier during post-game, so it really doesn't matter how much or how little you pay, either way.

Paying everything off leads to a secret/bonus ending.

edit: You won't miss red missions. White missions are randomly generated.

Soriku

Btw, Nova is completely nuts. Lol

I'm not sure what happens if you pay enough to unlock like two chapters in a row (which won't happen unless you grind a lot and pay often), but you advance through chapters by talking to a specified character and choosing to advance through the main story. The debt just lets you unlock the next story event (and new areas), but you choose to advance yourself.

Often you'll just pay for a chapter and Nova will ask you for money, but you'll unlock item bonuses you can pick up at Ludger's apartment. Don't overpay if Nova's not bugging you (if she does it frequently, pay a large sum and she'll go away).

Not sure if they're missable, but I try to do the red quests (white quests are generic/repeatable and don't appear on your job completion list) ASAP. They're not hard to do.

LuuKyK

Each main chapter is locked behind one paywall (lol)

Paying again before finishing that next main chapter nets you rewards, although the prices keep going up (proportionally to rewards from job postings) so you spend roughly the same amount of time getting bonus rewards regardless of where you are in the story. Some of the items are really helpful but on the other hand paying off all the debt is much easier during post-game, so it really doesn't matter how much or how little you pay, either way.

Paying everything off leads to a secret/bonus ending.

edit: You won't miss red missions. White missions are randomly generated.

I'm not sure what happens if you pay enough to unlock like two chapters in a row (which won't happen unless you grind a lot and pay often), but you advance through chapters by talking to a specified character and choosing to advance through the main story. The debt just lets you unlock the next story event (and new areas), but you choose to advance yourself.

Often you'll just pay for a chapter and Nova will ask you for money, but you'll unlock item bonuses you can pick up at Ludger's apartment. Don't overpay if Nova's not bugging you (if she does it frequently, pay a large sum and she'll go away).

Not sure if they're missable, but I try to do the red quests (white quests are generic/repeatable and don't appear on your job completion list) ASAP. They're not hard to do.

Oh, ok.

I literally just started the game and played for three hourd or so. Lol I think I left when I finished chapter 4. Thats why I am worried about these things. But yeah I am trying to finish off the red missions as soon as I get them and the white missions for easy money and to improve the shop ranking or whatever. I am sure I will understand the flow of things sooner or later.

Thanks for the answers though. :)

Falk

that puzzling face
To clarify a little, the impression I got is that the figure on each payment is dependent on how far along you are in the main story. As in if you're in Chapter 1, each additional payment is 10,000 (pulled that number out of my ass) and will be 10,000 until you proceed to Chapter 2, where each payment is 15,000 (again, pulled that number out of my ass).

It doesn't seem to matter how few or many times you pay that '10,000' or '15,000' etc., because whenever you finish a main chapter you'll still need to subsequently clear exactly one paywall before you're allowed to proceed with the next chapter in the main story.

(I actually wonder what happens if someone is crazy enough to grind out 20 million early in the game though)

edit: And of course, I just remembered Chapter 1 and 2 doesn't actually have payments because it was prior to that part of the story. You get what I mean though

(I actually wonder what happens if someone is crazy enough to grind out 20 million early in the game though)

Nothing happens, the plot progression payment is separate from the main debt payment. You'll still get your chapterly debt, but won't be bugged otherwise.

Cess007

Nothing happens, the plot progression payment is separate from the main debt payment. You'll still get your chapterly debt, but won't be bugged otherwise.

Yeah, that sucked. At soon as i got the debt i grinded a bit thinking i could skip some future story payments :(

Falk

that puzzling face
No, but then you wouldn't be asked for 150k when your debt is less than 150k.

I'm guessing the game would just skip the paywalls to letting the next chapter start immediately.

Finalow

k, I won't go for the platinum this time. too much tedious, boring and I want to play something else.
I'm also not very fond of the post-game, the EX dungeon looks nice at first but then you realize that you just have to go through those 2 fucking rooms again and again so it gets repetitive and boring pretty quickly. still better than Xillia 1 EX dungeon though. you don't even fight
the spirit Shadow but just 2 cameo characters
, if I'm not mistaken.

..and they could have at least changed the color of the EX giganto monsters.

Soriku

So say you payed off the 20 million at the beginning, what does the figure look like? You're still charged 10k or 100k or whatever, it just won't count towards the 20 mil since you already payed that off?

Peff

You can't pay the entire debt, apparently the last 100 gald has to be paid in person and apparently the event only triggers after you finish the game. I imagine if you somehow got to 19,999,900 via cheat codes or insane, INSANE grinding it'd just remain at 100 gald left.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yes, the question is still valid re : "what happens when you get to that point?"

Like I said, I'm assuming the game would just skip the paywalls and allow you access to each subsequent main chapter when you completed the last. I'm not crazy enough to try to confirm my hypothesis, though. Platinum is enough for me.

RangerBAD

Is there any way to get
a power and elemental combo on Victor
?
When he starts using Sanctuary and is getting 50k health back it sucks.

Protag

Banned
just got the cameo ending and debt ending
as with that im done with the game
ok guys next Tales on the list are
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles,Tales of Eternia, or Tales of Phantasia(PSX)
until i pick up Hearts R in November these are the Tales games i have left to play unless the Destiny PS2 translation is finished soon(or Rebirth)

Phantasia, then sympho, then eternia

You can't pay the entire debt, apparently the last 100 gald has to be paid in person and apparently the event only triggers after you finish the game. I imagine if you somehow got to 19,999,900 via cheat codes or insane, INSANE grinding it'd just remain at 100 gald left.
Yes, the question is still valid re : "what happens when you get to that point?"

Like I said, I'm assuming the game would just skip the paywalls and allow you access to each subsequent main chapter when you completed the last. I'm not crazy enough to try to confirm my hypothesis, though. Platinum is enough for me.

It remains at 100 gald, but you still have to make the normal plot progression payments every chapter. Those payments always happen.

Cess007

Just finished the chapter 12:

At first, i though the chapter wasn't as emotional as some people here was saying, but then i hit the scene with Elle crying over the soup. And daaamn! My feelings! I really have come to love Ellie and found her dialog and behavior so fitting to what it was happening to her.

Also, i can't be the only one as soon as we learned that fractured dimension was set on the future, i knew Victor was a future-fractured version of Ludger

RalchAC

At first, i though the chapter wasn't as emotional as some people here was saying, but then i hit the scene with Elle crying over the soup. And daaamn! My feelings! I really have come to love Ellie and found her dialog and behavior so fitting to what i was happening to her.

Also, i can't be the only one as soon as we learned that fractured dimention was set on the futgure, i knew Victor was a future-fractured version of Ludger

Ti be honest, I had been toying with that idea and thinking Elle may be
the last waymarker
since the chapter where you go to the ruins. It seems I wasn't too far from the truth.

Finally finished the game. I'll give the game credit for daring to be so incredibly dark. Just, wow. Pours it on so heavy at times that I can see how it might turn some people off. From halfway onwards as you slowly piece things together and especially from when you meet Victor onward it's emotional torment. "Yay! I can pay off my debt a bit so I can proceed to the next soul-crushing incident!"

Despite the fact that I HATE Alvin so so so much for putting me through such crap in the first game even his story
with Presa
almost made me feel bad for him. Almost. But he can still go die in a fire. He serves zero purpose in this game. Zero. He never performs a necessary function. Not a single one and I never felt compelled by his abilities enough to ever voluntarily put him in the party. A complete waste of space and there for continuation purposes from the first game and nothing more.

My overall take on this game is that the first was completely wasted since only now do I actually care for any of the characters. The concept of alternate variations of key plot turns in the first game was written quite well. Considering your final party has 3 people guilty of genocide and a former murderer, jeez these guys trust each other a lot.

Muzet wins the universe. Time for NG+, and wow the trophies are going to take work. The ones for using each character's unique battle skill several hundreds of times each are simply awful and was hoping they wouldn't put in the exact same trophies for those as the first game.

demidar

I do love how much actual blood there is in this game.

When Nachtagal got iced in Xillia 1 there was hardly a hint of blood (if my memory doesn't fail me).

CentroXer

Banned
wow this is how you make a jrpg with good minigames. Takes me back to golden saucer and triple triad. Poker is simple and addictive, and you can actually win some neat prizes! (take note ni no kuni with garbage prizes)

Finalow

I do love how much actual blood there is in this game.

When Nachtagal got iced in Xillia 1 there was hardly a hint of blood (if my memory doesn't fail me).
Xillia 1 (as any other tales of game I think?) didn't have any blood.

to be honest I didn't see much here, and not as much as I wanted. you know, cutscenes, when they fight. I don't know, I only remember a couple of scenes (one before the 2 final endings and the train section at the beginning) having some blood.

-
I think that the game does give you (big) hints towards that chapter 12 plot twist.

wow this is how you make a jrpg with good minigames. Takes me back to golden saucer and triple triad. Poker is simple and addictive, and you can actually win some neat prizes! (take note ni no kuni with garbage prizes)
how is Xillia 2 a "jrpg with good minigames", or how is it even comparable to stuff like the golden saucer.
it just has one minigame, a bland poker game which uses the same formula as any other poker minigame that I've seen in plenty of jrpgs. it has a catchy music when you play it, at least.

anyhow, the spoiler thread is pretty much dead. linking just in case someone here missed it, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129140378#post129140378

Zafir

At first, i though the chapter wasn't as emotional as some people here was saying, but then i hit the scene with Elle crying over the soup. And daaamn! My feelings! I really have come to love Ellie and found her dialog and behavior so fitting to what it was happening to her.

Also, i can't be the only one as soon as we learned that fractured dimension was set on the future, i knew Victor was a future-fractured version of Ludger
I think that the game does give you (big) hints towards that chapter 12 plot twist.
Yeah, I felt it did.
I mean the opening even kind of hints at it with the uncanny resemblance. Then there's the cooking thing(and cat/pocketwatch to a lesser extent) which so heavily hints at it. Like I just don't think they'd have made such a big deal about that otherwise. The whole lake being different sealed the deal really. How she mentions it had water in, but it didn't in the prime dimension suggesting she's from a fractured dimension. It also meant you kind of knew you were at that dimension when you finally got to it, because it happened to be the one which had water in the lake. The twist that got me was the fact he wanted to kill you though. Like I didn't expect that until the dead body's.

CentroXer

Banned
how is Xillia 2 a "jrpg with good minigames", or how is it even comparable to stuff like the golden saucer.
it just has one minigame, a bland poker game which uses the same formula as any other poker minigame that I've seen in plenty of jrpgs. it has a catchy music when you play it, at least.

because simple is better. Poker is something that I find easy and fun to jump into. Yeah it's one minigame, but it is awesome.

Soriku

I picked up a rather good combo for Ludger off GameFAQs that lets you build up the weakness gauge easy (I wish the normal combo time limit lasted longer...):

Power charge 2/3 + Normal Attack + Azure Edge + Moonlight Assault x2 + Thousand Swords x2 + Energy Shackle + Linked Arte

Finalow

My god. I always thought it was "MUSHROOMS, FREEESH MUSHROOMS!" It's totally mutton though. How did I never notice

Edit: The signs were everywhere http://mutton-fresh-mutton.tumblr.com/
lol.

tumblr_n6utm8KmeE1t5d8fwo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6utm8KmeE1t5d8fwo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbmder9NwP1rsj2slo1_400.gif

because simple is better. Poker is something that I find easy and fun to jump into. Yeah it's one minigame, but it is awesome.
well sure, you might love it but it's still a generic poker minigame copy-pasted from ToV or any of the other 500 jrpgs that have a similar minigame.

demidar

I fought the final boss and I guess I won a battle I wasn't supposed to because a Mystic Arte came out of nowhere and killed everyone.

What a cop out.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought I was done but ended up making a ton of progress today:

*got to lv 102
*cleared elite tag & party modes in the coliseum
*messed around in the ex dungeon (I don't think I'll ever finish this though - I only have affection high enough to bring in 3 other people, let alone everyone lol)
*killed all the ex elite giganto monsters except for 4
*bought awesome gear from the secret shops in nala lava tubes & felgana mines
*beat the game again but tried to choose to save Elle instead, but still got the same ending
*defeated Pluto

Cess007

Might as well put a spoiler tag in some of those man :/

Anyway, just finished chapter 15
Oh man! What is this game doing to my heart??? That last anime custscene of Julius and Ludger :'(!!!!! Really liked Julius as a character, wish he had more time on screen or joined your party at some point. Also, the battle against Julius still was really hard for me, i think i died like 10 times before i give up and used the Chromatus. I think tomorrow i'll finish the last Character Chapters and left the final chapter to the Monday

Btw, maybe i didn't pay attention back then, but i swear to god, i finished the first Xillia and never heard the "Fresh Mutton" thing! Now that i put attention (due all the jokes here, i wanted to know what you guys were talking about), i can't stop hearing it all the time D:

Soriku

Oh shit, the rectangles in the Epsilla Ruins in chapter 10 play past Tales music! Only in the red sector apparently though.

I heard you don't go back there again, so I'm gonna keep another file.

RalchAC

Might as well put a spoiler tag in some of those man :/

Anyway, just finished chapter 15
Oh man! What is this game doing to my heart??? That last anime custscene of Julius and Ludger :'(!!!!! Really liked Julius as a character, wish he had more time on screen or joined your party at some point. Also, the battle against Julius still was really hard for me, i think i died like 10 times before i give up and user the Chromatus. I think tomorrow i'll finish the last Character Chapters and left the final chapter to the Monday

Btw, maybe i didn't pay attention back there, but i swear to god, i finished the first Xillia and never heard the "Fresh Mutton" thing! Now that i put attention (due all the jokes here, i wanted to know what you guys were talking about), i can't stop hearing it all the time D:

Did you read my mind when you wrote this post? I feel the same as you. Daaamn, chapter 15 has had me in the verge of tears for like 5 minutes.

I did a couple of times too, but that was because the boss has an arte that erased like 3/4 of my Hp :p

I can't unheard the fresh Mutton thing either.

I don't know how awesome Persona 5 is going to be, but this game is definitely one of my favorite JRPGs

CentroXer

Banned
I found Jude and Milla be the worst characters in this game. I wish they had ditched them for the sequel. Jude is dull as usual and the
fake
milla is just annoying.

Alvin + Gaius = Boss.

Falk

that puzzling face
Milla
didn't have a lisp so I was inclined to say she was better than the original. And then shit happened and real Milla came back and didn't have a lisp either and had bigger hooters.

Top Bottom