• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Rainy

Banned
Sorry for bumping the thread but I just have a quick question regarding the Allium Orb system. I just got the game over BF, so just started.

So essentially there are a whole bunch of different extractors you have. Each extractor is connected to a different element (so I'm guessing a droplet extractor will give you water-related artes, etc.) and you gain different artes, skills, and ability bonuses as you gain elemental ore? And eventually you'll get all the abilities on an extractor so you move to another one which has different abilities, etc?

I just wasn't sure if I understood the game's explanation.

Sorry for bumping the thread but I just have a quick question regarding the Allium Orb system. I just got the game over BF, so just started.

So essentially there are a whole bunch of different extractors you have. Each extractor is connected to a different element (so I'm guessing a droplet extractor will give you water-related artes, etc.) and you gain different artes, skills, and ability bonuses as you gain elemental ore? And eventually you'll get all the abilities on an extractor so you move to another one which has different abilities, etc?

I just wasn't sure if I understood the game's explanation.

You seem to understand it. You can get everything, it's just a matter of what you get first. Switching up extractors to spread it out a bit, is generally a good idea. You eventually get better extractors that level multiple elements at once or level a particular element at a higher rate.

Rainy

Banned
You seem to understand it. You can get everything, it's just a matter of what you get first. Switching up extractors to spread it out a bit, is generally a good idea. You eventually get better extractors that level multiple elements at once or level a particular element at a higher rate.

oh okay that sounds sweet, thanks!

Bladenic

Excellent.

Also, what is the best weapon choice for Ludger? They cover so many artes that it's both exciting and moderately daunting.

You should always switch up based on the enemy weakness. And you should switch mid combo to increase the weakness combo and do more damage. But generally I start off battles with swords cuz they're the fastest/Ludger moves the fastest with them.

Ultimadrago

For seasoned Tales vets:

I'm in the
Epsilla Ruins fractured dungeon
and there are these glowing blue pillars that play music when we check them. Are they playing various tunes from past Tales games? Cute Easter Egg if so.

I can't tell because I couldn't recognize any of the songs. I have a feeling most of them are from games before my time.

In other news: Changing teams constantly for story is as annoying as I imagined.

For seasoned Tales vets:

I'm in the
Epsilla Ruins fractured dungeon
and there are these glowing blue pillars that play music when we check them. Are they playing various tunes from past Tales games? Cute Easter Egg if so.

I can't tell because I couldn't recognize any of the songs. I have a feeling most of them are from games before my time.

In other news: Changing teams constantly for story is as annoying as I imagined.

It is and it is. :D

Ultimadrago

I never grow tired of Muzet's tethering skits. Sexual innuendo skits are hilarious simply because of how drastically they contrast to the general tone of skits/Tales.

Anyways, trying to make some legwork in the game to get to a part where I can grind dice for the big monies. I've been sending too much time doing side quests!

I just started playing this yesterday and am about ten hours in. Not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Ludger feels like such a non-entity this far, and the debt system is really annoying. The story is really weird so far too.

Maybe this is the problem with direct sequel Tales games...I had similar issues with Dawn of the New World, though that at least had Marta, Tenebrae and Emil interacting with each other a lot instead of a silent protagonist.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I just started playing this yesterday and am about ten hours in. Not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Ludger feels like such a non-entity this far, and the debt system is really annoying. The story is really weird so far too.

Maybe this is the problem with direct sequel Tales games...I had similar issues with Dawn of the New World, though that at least had Marta, Tenebrae and Emil interacting with each other a lot instead of a silent protagonist.

It takes time to open up I do agree but about 20 hours in I was absolutely loving it. It takes the Tales games to some dark places and really pushes quite far with how light hearted the games usually are.

It takes time to open up I do agree but about 20 hours in I was absolutely loving it. It takes the Tales games to some dark places and really pushes quite far with how light hearted the games usually are.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Given the nature of what the characters are doing (trying to be vague so as not to spoil), it feels like the idealistic characters from the previous games are acting REALLY out of character in some spots.

Was this written and directed by the same people who did Xillia 1?

Bladenic

Still can't get over how hilarious Muzet's entire side story was.

Muzét and Gaius were both great here, loved them. Didn't care for Gaius's character quests though.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Given the nature of what the characters are doing (trying to be vague so as not to spoil), it feels like the idealistic characters from the previous games are acting REALLY out of character in some spots.

Was this written and directed by the same people who did Xillia 1?

Kind of agreed, which is why I have the most issues with the ending.
Seems very weird to me that not one of them said "fuck making a choice give us another option" and I personally wanted to beat the shit out of Mass Effect 3 export

Falk

that puzzling face
Muzét and Gaius were both great here, loved them. Didn't care for Gaius's character quests though.

Gaius' side story really seemed so shoehorned in to get a non-existent point across. Not to mention it was predictable as hell.

Regarding the actions of the party and Ludger's job...I still find it incredibly out of character
that they just destroy fractured dimensions, killing millions of people, without even making an effort at finding an alternative. They just take the word of the obviously evil (they even comment he looks like a bad guy) president of Spirius.

Same here, started the game about a week ago and I'm around 13 hours in. I really like the darker feel of the story this time around, but the "half-hearted silent protagonist" thing they did for Ludger makes a lot of the cutscenes painfully awkward.

Debt system gives me flashbacks to No More Heroes.

As far as DotNW goes, Xillia 2 does something right that DotNW didn't: the returning cast members got new clothes. It bugged me endlessly in Dawn the old cast somehow hadn't changed their clothes in two years. (Though how they handled that with Regal was kind of amusing)

Same here, started the game about a week ago and I'm around 13 hours in. I really like the darker feel of the story this time around, but the "half-hearted silent protagonist" thing they did for Ludger makes a lot of the cutscenes painfully awkward.

Debt system gives me flashbacks to No More Heroes.

As far as DotNW goes, Xillia 2 does something right that DotNW didn't: the returning cast members got new clothes. It bugged me endlessly in Dawn the old cast somehow hadn't changed their clothes in two years. (Though how they handled that with Regal was kind of amusing)

The new designs all look 'off' to me, though. Especially Jude with his new hairstyle.

The thing is, with the silent protagonist, he doesn't seem to be very well integrated with the other cast members - he comes off as an observer more than a member of the group.

I think I'd like this game a lot more if it weren't a sequel to Xillia and were an original Tales entry instead.

Regarding the actions of the party and Ludger's job...I still find it incredibly out of character
that they just destroy fractured dimensions, killing millions of people, without even making an effort at finding an alternative. They just take the word of the obviously evil (they even comment he looks like a bad guy) president of Spirius.

I will say this: he "worked" best of all the trope-flipped-so-often-it-becomes-a-trope of the Tales Anti-villians the series has had. They just had to work a few details better.

Xenoflare

Finally started new game+, I really enjoy hearing Ludger''s voice in the game. I love the fact that he
also calls out the linked partner's name during a linked arte

I somehow equipped
Milla with her Maxwell attire instead of her "default" costume, now Alt Milla looks exactly likes prime Milla, even with that sylph hair, ruined a bit of the immersion for me there harhar. Seems like your costume equips carry over if you decided to inherit all the fashion items. Ludger started with the no jacket one during the beginning of the game

Ugh why can't the Yuri costume for Jude a DLC on the store.

Ultimadrago

Finally inching closer to the game's end. Still planning on finishing the EX Dungeon and paying off the debt.

Some thoughts:

- I don't like Ludger. Having a somewhat "silent, but not" character was a lame idea. I hate his stupid face when he makes expressions as well. I hope the Tales team never does this again. On the bright side, weapon switching is neat.

- Why did I not work on Muzet's character story earlier? Had me laughing.

- No Nova! You will not make me take back the mean things I said about you! You won't...*sniffle*

Finally inching closer to the game's end. Still planning on finishing the EX Dungeon and paying off the debt.

Some thoughts:

- I don't like Ludger. Having a somewhat "silent, but not" character was a lame idea. I hate his stupid face when he makes expressions as well. I hope the Tales team never does this again. On the bright side, weapon switching is neat.

- Why did I not work on Muzet's character story earlier? Had me laughing.

- No Nova! You will not make me take back the mean things I said about you! You won't...*sniffle*

It seems like it might have just been a one off thing. Since the main character of the next Tales of game (Sorey) is not a silent protagonist. I agree that it was weird having one as a main character in a Tales game.

ok finished...
food for thought..
ludger as a silent protagonist didn't really cut it for me.. would have appreciated a chattier mc, but ok..
luger in the finale instead..
i mean.. ok.. go home or go big, but ultimately there's no happy ending for him..
1) he kills his friends, postpone his brother death and "sacrifice" the spirits.. utterly bad..
2) he save the world and himself and let his sort-of-daughter die... poor guy..
3) he save the world and elle, sacrificing himself as a bonus... unlucky god?

I would have preferred if there was some excrugiatingly difficult condition to get him to "keep" elle AND live, though i admit that it would break the "logic" flow of things when (if) elle was ever born out of him directly..
anyway solid game, happy to have played it :)

Falk

that puzzling face
2) struck me as the most legit ending

I mean, it was a fractured Elle. Too bad, hard luck but regardless of whatever bond they may have developed during the game, she still wasn't meant to exist. Same as fractured Milla, fractured Agria, fractured Presia, etc. Basically deal with it. Not to mention actual Elle (presumably) comes later

But yeah as Tales (and JRPGs) go Xillia 2 was pretty messed up overall. It's not so much bad things happen (they do in every JRPG) as much as it is
you directly cause bad things to happen

Ludger dying is considered the true ending so Ludger gets a bad end regardless of which ending he chooses!

Well expect the Hero ending, ha

But all the endings still make Xillia 2 my favorite Tales game

Anbec7

I just a hold of both Xillia and Xillia 2....
So far they have been quite a good experience since I'm fairly new to the Tales games.

Any tips? so far I have been using Alvin a lot more than Jude or Milla (Don't know why really)

I just got to the Coliseum and finished all the beginner class with everyone, it's fairly addicting. Also Teepo Roar destroys everything there

Also how long is the game? I got sidetracked yes but... I just don't see it ending soon which is kinda nice at the moment

Cornbread78

Been awhile, but I'm finally getting around to playing this now. Anyone have any tips for the chapter 5 boss
electrical orb
?

Thing is destroying my party in seconds...

Wagram

Is the auto text advance bugged? I really don't like that events are proceeding naturally without my input. I have it set to off, but it's doing it anyways.

Sweet, TY!

Is there any way to "farm" affinity?
Playing the poker mini-game and trade your chips in for friendship potions in Duval. Double down and try your luck. It helps if you have any Silver or Gold dices for a better start. Just win eight double downs in a row for maximum profit.

Cornbread78

Holy shit, this battle with
Victor
is utter bullshit. Everytine you get any momentum going, he just uses a Mystic Arts and rekts you. WTF.

Bladenic

Holy shit, this battle with
Victor
is utter bullshit. Everytine you get any momentum going, he just uses a Mystic Arts and rekts you. WTF.

Yeah Xillia 2 has some tough bosses. I would recommend setting Milla and Rowen (that big shit ball of doom preferably) to spam spells while Jude also hangs back too. The best way to beat him (well any boss) is to triple charge then get a huge damage multiplier and either unleash a mystic arte (can be wonky sometimes with not letting the enemy get out of the stun) or unleash chromatus and make sure to keep the stun going. I haven't played in forever but there is a way to keep enemies perpetually stunned in Chromatus as to ensure the damage multiplier remains and chain an attack into a mystic arte.

Cornbread78

Yeah Xillia 2 has some tough bosses. I would recommend setting Milla and Rowen (that big shit ball of doom preferably) to spam spells while Jude also hangs back too. The best way to beat him (well any boss) is to triple charge then get a huge damage multiplier and either unleash a mystic arte (can be wonky sometimes with not letting the enemy get out of the stun) or unleash chromatus and make sure to keep the stun going. I haven't played in forever but there is a way to keep enemies perpetually stunned in Chromatus as to ensure the damage multiplier remains and chain an attack into a mystic arte.

Yeah, I finally beat him with a similiar strategy, which only allowed him to kill Lugar when he used his mystic arts.

That scene afterwords with Elle was pretty well done IMO as well.

Top Bottom