• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom coming to North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
duckroll said:
So now when the game bombs hard, and Capcom says they're not going to anymore of this, are you guys going to get even angrier that Kaibutsu decided not to buy that game? I really hope so, because if the combined anger is high enough, maybe we can use that to solve the world's energy crisis! :lol
if the game falls short of their projections by less than 100 copies (aka it sells 901 copies) I feel we are entitled to ask for a ban! :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
duckroll said:
So now when the game bombs hard, and Capcom says they're not going to anymore of this, are you guys going to get even angrier that Kaibutsu decided not to buy that game? I really hope so, because if the combined anger is high enough, maybe we can use that to solve the world's energy crisis! :lol

People don't think the game is going to bomb?

duckroll

borghe said:
if the game falls short of their projections by less than 100 copies (aka it sells 901 copies) I feel we are entitled to ask for a ban! :lol

You'll only have yourself to blame, because you didn't buy 10 copies yourself! :lol

thefro

Lyte Edge said:

I think it'll do decently.... considering Brawl's on the system you'd think there might be an audience for another good fighting game. The Capcom v.s. series also has a pretty hardcore fanbase.

Lyte Edge

thefro said:
I think it'll do decently.... considering Brawl's on the system you'd think there might be an audience for another good fighting game. The Capcom v.s. series also has a pretty hardcore fanbase.

Nobody knows what the hell "Tatsunoko" is, unlike the Marvel-licensed games. Cross-Generation Of Heroes also wasn't that great a seller in Japan IIRC, and the arcade version cracked the top 10 like once.

Yes, it's a rail-shooter and that could explain the poor sales, but when a Resident Evil game bombs hard on the Wii, what makes you think a niche fighting game will fare better? I guess the hope is that the hardcore fighting game fanbase will embrace the game and purchase it instead of pirating it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fun fact - The Japanese are getting the US VERSION WITH JAPANESE TEXT. UAS was intended to be US only until Japanese players requested to have the game as well. So essentially what US is getting is what Japan is getting too.

DR2K

Banned
ITT we buy fighting games for their animated endings.

Udon does great work, if their comics are any indication. Hopefully they replace the endings, the Jp ones were nonsense.

Lyte Edge

Dr. Muganda said:
Instead you get low-quality stills of deviantartesque fanart.
Bad tradeoff anyway.
Not buying this shit.

You are really not buying it because of the endings? :lol

By the way- The original has low-quality stills of deviantartesque fanart and even lower-quality art in the animated portions that follow!

MoxManiac

Dr. Muganda said:
Instead you get low-quality stills of deviantartesque fanart.
Bad tradeoff anyway.
Not buying this shit.

You're not going to buy a fighting game because of crappy art in the endings? Hmm?

edit: curse you lyte!

Volcynika

Lyte Edge said:

I know it will then Capcom will go "WTF Wii owners, we tried!" and then I will chuckle a bit because of the whole Tatsunoko thing not being known in the US. (this is one of the factors, also stuff like lack of adverts and such)

DR2K said:
Udon does great work
Yeah man!
nex5e8.gif

Tracing capcom art is where it's at.

I don't know that anyone can argue that replacing animated endings with Udon art (which varies wildly in quality) is a good thing. It's certainly not a reason to pass on a game all things being equal.

But I would like to know why they passed on the endings. If it's something legal, okay, but that would be shortsighted and dumb of them. If it's a case of Udon being cheaper than making new endings for the new characters, which I assume is the case, and deciding to remove everything to make all the characters uniform, that's bullshit.

But I generally don't like things being removed from games.

DR2K said:
More like this.
Yeah, looks like shitty fanart from deviantart. Poor anatomy, composition and use of colors.

I can randomly pick any capcom artwork from the last 20 years and it'll still look better no matter how dated it is.
255rfp2.jpg

I haven't heard much about the music being cut. Which Tatsunoko music tracks are they cutting? Some of those were really fun renditions. Hopefully at least the Gold Lightan theme will remain.

I figure they'll cut Roll's music on the Capcom side too but that would be a good thing.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
not fussed either way but, has it been 100% confirmed that some mini games etc taken out or is GAF acting on assumption?

Lyte Edge

Space A Cobra said:
I haven't heard much about the music being cut. Which Tatsunoko music tracks are they cutting? Some of those were really fun renditions. Hopefully at least the Gold Lightan theme will remain.

I figure they'll cut Roll's music on the Capcom side too but that would be a good thing.

It appears that they have removed all of the character themes and replaced them with stage-specific themes instead. I'm fine with this since I didn't particularly care for any of the Tatsunoko side's themes.

Lyte Edge said:
It appears that they have removed all of the character themes and replaced them with stage-specific themes instead. I'm fine with this since I didn't particularly care for any of the Tatsunoko side's themes.

Well as someone who does, that sucks but if they're just gonna replace them with generic Capcom CPS-2 style songs (Which most of the music kinda already was) then I'll be content.

Not like I don't already have Cross Generation anyway.

Edit: Smiley bothered me. Now it is dead.

Lyte Edge said:
So Alex's Jazzy NYC arrangement was removed?

:( :( :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dr. Muganda said:
Yeah, looks like shitty fanart from deviantart. Poor anatomy, composition and use of colors.

I can randomly pick any capcom artwork from the last 20 years and it'll still look better no matter how dated it is.
255rfp2.jpg

While you don't have to be retarded to be wrong, you are both.

Posting this again for relevancy:

Compare the original CGoH:
2e5urvc.jpg

and grabbed from the stream
30lglea.jpg

Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer the UDON art over the original ending art. More vivid coloring and extra background detail plus extra cameo FTW!

I am sad they had to remove the animated cutscenes, that's some crazy ass licensing issues. But at least they're just 20 second extensions. If this were like SFIV's where they were quite substantial to single player I could understand. But they weren't.

I'm actually happy the win quotes have been fully translated (unlike other VS games where they just half-assed it) I actually think THAT'S more important than some measly little 20 second clip. That and the fully detailed character profiles look like they've made it in as well.

In short, between character themes, mini games and short animated clips as opposed to New characters, gameplay tweaks, and fully translated text, I take the latter any day.

And I don't know why people think somehow getting the Japanese version they can still get everything. Niitsuma has confirmed character themes are out in the Japanese blog, plus we've already seen Japanese footage that shows the stage themes are the same.

Kaibutsu

Choppasmith said:
Posting this again for relevancy:

Compare the original CGoH:
2e5urvc.jpg

and grabbed from the stream
30lglea.jpg

Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer the UDON art over the original ending art. More vivid coloring and extra background detail plus extra cameo FTW!

I am sad they had to remove the animated cutscenes, that's some crazy ass licensing issues. But at least they're just 20 second extensions. If this were like SFIV's where they were quite substantial to single player I could understand. But they weren't.

I'm actually happy the win quotes have been fully translated (unlike other VS games where they just half-assed it) I actually think THAT'S more important than some measly little 20 second clip. That and the fully detailed character profiles look like they've made it in as well.

In short, between character themes, mini games and short animated clips as opposed to New characters, gameplay tweaks, and fully translated text, I take the latter any day.

And I don't know why people think somehow getting the Japanese version they can still get everything. Niitsuma has confirmed character themes are out in the Japanese blog, plus we've already seen Japanese footage that shows the stage themes are the same.

Thanks for the update. Good to get definite confirmation about the Japanese release being the same as the U.S. I Don't like the Udon art as much as the original

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Listening to the Interview with the Tatsunoko V Capcom producer he hasn't said any mini games missing ratehr they are 're-implementing' them. this strikes me a upgrading them, not gettting rid of them.

The more I think about it, the more I think the amount of hoops that had to be jumped through to sort out liscensing etc to release this game in the west to what i think will be "ok" sales and not mega sales like SFIV, I am just happy the game is coming out.

Still I could be wrong about the amount it sells let's see :D

EDIT : I find the use of the word RETARDED/RETARD offensive just as much as people find other derogatory phrases that are banable on GAF.
I may sound overly PC but that is just me

GuardianE said:
While you don't have to be retarded to be wrong, you are both.
You just got some very bad taste. How anyone with more than half a brain can see anything besides shitty fanart in the udon works is beyond me. Their pictures ooze "amateur", you can see they have no idea what they're doing. Wonky art, no sense of composition at all. And their comics have no flow. Self taught amateurs.

Hero

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't know that anyone can argue that replacing animated endings with Udon art (which varies wildly in quality) is a good thing. It's certainly not a reason to pass on a game all things being equal.

But I would like to know why they passed on the endings. If it's something legal, okay, but that would be shortsighted and dumb of them. If it's a case of Udon being cheaper than making new endings for the new characters, which I assume is the case, and deciding to remove everything to make all the characters uniform, that's bullshit.

But I generally don't like things being removed from games.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the UDON art replacement endings are superior to the original. And I also don't think it makes sense that Capcom's logic was that they were too cheap to get animation for the new characters. If that's all it was, they could've retained the animated endings for all the original CGoH characters and just done UDON art stills for the new characters. I would think it would have more to do with showing any hand drawn Tatsunoko characters in animation form. Remember this game is a licensing headache and I'm actually surprised Capcom actually went through with this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
UDON is made up of different artists.

Also, if it's any consolation, why not check my playlist in Youtube for the music? Also, the new music isn't bad. If anything, they're good (as heard in the new Orbital Ring stage).

It annoys me more that the character specific themes are gone now than the endings. It is just a feature that got left behind, and I always wanted it back. That being said, if the new music is good, then I won`t care as much.

If the gameplay as good, they could just roll the credits and I wouldn`t care (though it better have good credits music...the last time that ever happened that I can remember is Tekken 2, so I am not getting my hopes too high)

Also thanks Ookami-kun for the utube playlist. I will enjoy listening to this for the next hour or two.

buddy of mine recently made me pay closer attention to this game. i'm pretty stoked now, but it's a huge disappointment for me that there's no English voice acting except for one character that I don't care about. I was really looking forward to hearing some smarmy english voice overs for Viewtiful Joe, but no dice. Japanese voice actor does a decent job, but can't even come close to comparing to the original actor. *sigh*

Oh well, game looks dope. I will buy it so that I can yell at people for not buying it when it bombs, even though it's Capcom's fault for not localizing a damn thing about the game, from the character voices to the characters themselves.

Does the game not have online modes in Japan, or did I make that up? I'm curious if we'll have any idea how good the online is before the game comes out.

autobzooty said:
Does the game not have online modes in Japan, or did I make that up? I'm curious if we'll have any idea how good the online is before the game comes out.

The version coming out in the US is a "turbo" version of the original Japanese release. Unfortunatly, the "turbo" in this case means added net play, so there is no pass precendent for this games online preformance. We will have to wait, and pray.

jufonuk said:
Listening to the Interview with the Tatsunoko V Capcom producer he hasn't said any mini games missing ratehr they are 're-implementing' them. this strikes me a upgrading them, not gettting rid of them.

The more I think about it, the more I think the amount of hoops that had to be jumped through to sort out liscensing etc to release this game in the west to what i think will be "ok" sales and not mega sales like SFIV, I am just happy the game is coming out.

Still I could be wrong about the amount it sells let's see :D

EDIT : I find the use of the word RETARDED/RETARD offensive just as much as people find other derogatory phrases that are banable on GAF.
I may sound overly PC but that is just me

it will certainly not sell SF4 numbers and I hope that capcom don't expect SF4 numbers as well.

regarding your edit: I'm 100% with you there. It's like calling someone "aidsed" or HIVer.
it's very offensive and disrespectful for people with handicaps.

TheShampion said:
It annoys me more that the character specific themes are gone now than the endings. It is just a feature that got left behind, and I always wanted it back. That being said, if the new music is good, then I won`t care as much.

Shit, can't believe I forgot they did this =/

oh well

iamaustrian said:
regarding your edit: I'm 100% with you there. It's like calling someone "aidsed" or HIVer.
it's very offensive and disrespectful for people with handicaps.

To be fair, "retarded" is not the PC term for anything. It comes from the latin "ritard" meaning slow. Calling people with handicaps "retard" is just as bad, if not worse, than calling people without handicaps "retard."

To those people that are mad about the missing character songs or endings, the Japanese version wont have them either. So you'll have to track down the original version.

I don't think that the game will bomb per se, it feels like a "slow burn" game to me. A large number of potential players wont know about the game at release, and I think that once those people see friends playing the game (hey what is this? it looks cool, etc), they'll be likely to pick it up.

I've gotten a few of the Brawl players at my school interested in the game. I think that after I told them that the game is coming out in the US with new characters and online, they said they will pick it up.

I think this is worth picking up. Although I'll miss the character songs, which I think is the biggest loss, the fact that the game is coming out with new characters and online play and gameplay tweaks makes it worth it to me, I couldn't care less about the endings; in the old game, you'd only play arcade mode like 4 or 5 times to get the console exclusive characters, and then you'd never see the endings again (or just watch them in the gallery).

viewtiful_dru said:
I think this is worth picking up. Although I'll miss the character songs, which I think is the biggest loss, the fact that the game is coming out with new characters and online play and gameplay tweaks makes it worth it to me, I couldn't care less about the endings; in the old game, you'd only play arcade mode like 4 or 5 times to get the console exclusive characters, and then you'd never see the endings again (or just watch them in the gallery).

This does bare repeating for accurate truth. The sticks came into work the other day and a colleague and myself were just looking at them and getting a good sense of the quality. In comparison to the standard Hori stick I'd have to say it looks and feels even sturdier. The art is really impressive up close and personal.

Vgamer

This is probably really old news that everyone else already knows about, but I was just looking on Amazon and if you pre-order this game they will give you a $10 credit for your next game purchase through amazon. They are charging $46.99 so with the $10 credit that means its really only $36.99. I was on the fence about getting it but with that deal I pre-ordered!

MoxManiac

Vgamer said:
This is probably really old news that everyone else already knows about, but I was just looking on Amazon and if you pre-order this game they will give you a $10 credit for your next game purchase through amazon. They are charging $46.99 so with the $10 credit that means its really only $36.99. I was on the fence about getting it but with that deal I pre-ordered!

Oooh, nice, free release date delivery with amazon prime too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom