• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars official thread ~ Going across the border!

-PXG-

JCX said:
How does this compare to Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs Capcom 2?

Don't even bother comparing to SFIV. Marvel is a better comparison, since they are both in the "Versus" series. Both games have larger health bars, longer combos, and characters that seem to more "broken" than "normal" fighting games. And of course, the overall zaniness. TvC, at least so far, isn't as deep as MvC. IMO, that's a good thing. These games are more about fun, than anything else (hell, that's how all games should be).

It's a three button game, with context sensitive maneuvers. Sounds odd, but works very well. The term is over used, but, it's one of those, "easy to pick up, hard to master" games. Don't expect to get really good fast or people able to pick anyone and know how to use them right off the bat. I recommend using a Classic Controller (preferably a Pro, or one with a Nyko grip if you have one). You can get a stick, but I don't it's really necessary, due to the simple nature of the controls.

Big One

Banned
JCX said:
How does this compare to Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs Capcom 2?
It isn't as deep as SF4, but honestly I think this game is a lot better than MVC2. It's a lot more balanced seemingly so far in the very least, and it plays a lot better. I'd rank TVC about the same I'd rank SF4 which is a solid 9/10.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Holy shit I'm ready to play for reals now -- I've been taking screenshots and doing combos for like a week now and ready to actually get some real FIGHTS!

jrricky said:
How to freakin start combo strings... :/

The gamecube controller kills my fingers...Im tryin to play with classic controller.

Ahhh thats actually covered in the gameplay guide area but ill explain it briefly. Pretty much every character has a "chain combo" that is easy to perform. You just tap, Light, Medium then Hard and it will all combo together. So on the gamecube controller you can tap Y, A, then X and you'll get a real simple chain combo. From there you can tack on a special move and with many characters you can also start a launcher by doing down-forward + X after the 2nd or 3rd hit.

Once you get past the basic combo phase of course a lot of it becomes character specific though. My suggestion would to just pick a couple characters you find appealing and try to do the chain combo I mentioned above and add on a special move to the end. This wont make you be a top player and win EVO but it will get you started.

-PXG-

heavy Baselard ( qcf AT -ok in air) is such a bitch move. Long distance grabs :lol Haven't tested it out to see if you can block it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Wow, I just bought a classic controller (I didn't want to wait for a CCPro) this thing is fucking painful! 20 minutes of play and it feels like my fingers and hands have been through a wood chipper :lol shiiieee

Threi

notag
who would be the best non-roll partner for karas? I'm thinking casshan right now (sacrifice beefy combos for anti-air assists) but right now im using ryu. any thoughts?

jlevel13

As other's have said, it's a versus game, so closer to Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, but not as crazy, since (among other things) you only have a two character team and there's what, half the roster. It's simplified, there's depth, but not SFIV depth. I'd sort of put it in the middle ground between the two games, so if you enjoyed one or the other, there's a good chance you'd find enough to like in this one too.

Nelo Ice

Banned
haunts said:
My friend code for ppl who wanna play: 3653-1856-2137

friend codes... -_-;

added im a complete scrub though :lol
well at least im in the bay too so the connection shouldnt be bad

my fc is 2665-3522-2560

Poyunch

jlevel13 said:
PounchEnvy - for hyper combos, you rotate the d-pad/stick in the required motion, and at the end of that motion you press any two attack buttons. Practice a bit and you'll get the hang of it (go to the practice room and just keep doing it for a bit). So it's like a quarter of a circle forward (for instance) and as you are reaching that forward position, press two buttons.
Thanks! It's a bit late right now so I'll try tomorrow.

Nelo Ice

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
So this game good for a casual fighting fan? I usually hate getting involved in metagames and such.

hell yeah :D
i dont understand any of the higher tier stuff but u can feel like a complete badass in this game without knowing what ur doing :lol

Shapingo

Ippatsuman has the weakest special ever. The baseball bat shots baseballs that do less damage then a single strong attack. Polimar is too slow to do anything. Also Ryu can spam fireballs/Super fireball at Yami and he can do nothing about it. He is cheap as hell.

RedBoot

I think I said it jokingly when Frank was announced that he would make the game worth purchasing a second time, but holy crap, I didn't realize it would be true. Everything about his character is awesome. He has the same forward kick in this game that I used all the time in Dead Rising. All of his special moves are useful in some way. His supers are hilarious. Hell, he summons zombie-filled shopping carts. He's pretty much going to be an auto-use on my teams from here on.

Still need to unlock everyone else, but this game is much better than the original. Beating Yami is so much less painful (in the jpn version, if you didn't have a fireball character, things got rough). You get a decent amount of money every time you beat the game now, enough to buy 2 costumes and a few character bios every instance. Several characters (PTX and Yatterman in particular) feel a lot better.

Online seems pretty good so far. I had barely any lag in ~6 matches, and my router's in a different room than my Wii. Ryu's pretty common online so far, hopefully that'll change as people get used to the Tatsu characters. Well, I guess hoping for less Ryu is impossible, but maybe we'll see more Tatsu guys over time.

Gotta get Joe and Ai unlocked soon, I wanna use them. I gotta find out how to get the Doronjo Pig icon too, that one is awesome.

jrricky

Banned
So I set the difficulty bar WAY up to watch what the computer does with combo strings and....wow...:/

EDIT: My mains are Ken and VJ BTW...

one_kill

Planning to get this tomorrow... but not sure if I should buy a classic controller. Anyone played it with the Wii remote and/or the Wii remote and nunchuck? How does it fair against playing with a classic controller?

Nelo Ice said:
hell yeah :D
i dont understand any of the higher tier stuff but u can feel like a complete badass in this game without knowing what ur doing :lol

Got it. I really want to support Capcom on one of their more significant Wii efforts. I'll pick it up when I finish NMH2.

ccbfan

Man anyone know some options with zero.

He was the character I'm most excited about but I can't do crap with him.

I just can't seem to make him effective. My combos are weak, his defense is weak, his supers suck and he's not super fast for someone so weak.

I'm liking Polimar though.

I might main him and ryu if I can't get my zero going. The two got some great chemistry.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
haunts said:
My friend code for ppl who wanna play: 3653-1856-2137

friend codes... -_-;

Mine is 3137-7944-8822, If you add me, send a PM for confirmation. And everyone needs to post their friend codes in the TvC thread in the online forum!

It's so lame that both players have to enter friend codes to get them to register.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
one_kill said:
Planning to get this tomorrow... but not sure if I should buy a classic controller. Anyone played it with the Wii remote and/or the Wii remote and nunchuck? How does it fair against playing with a classic controller?

Buy a Classic Controller. Don't play with the remote/nunchuk. Seriously. It's useful for so many other games besides TvC, anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Red Scarlet said:
I have never heard of any of the Tatsunoko characters/shows/media. Have fun though guys.

Because knowledge of the characters is the only important thing ever.

I almost shat my pants when I remembered this was supposed to arrive today but when I went down to check I found nothing :( I guess it'll arrive tomorrow with Overkill and a new copy of Galaxy.

N4Us

Glass Soldier said:
I almost shat my pants when I remembered this was supposed to arrive today but when I went down to check I found nothing :( I guess it'll arrive tomorrow with Overkill and a new copy of Galaxy.

Same here. :[

I'm trying to hold myself from running to Gamestop and grabbing a copy.

jrricky

Banned
I still don't understand why in this day and age I cannot repick my character that I selected in 2d fighters (besides smash)...:-/

Nemesis_

Red Scarlet said:
I have never heard of any of the Tatsunoko characters/shows/media. Have fun though guys.

You're missing out. A lot, especially if you're foregoing this based on that. =(

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Killa Sasa said:
Haunts, hook up some VJ BnB's, all I know how to do is mash buttons in the air :lol Air Joe is cool but i want MOAR

I'll try to get you some VJ combos soon -- let me talk to one of my guys. I'll probably crank out a handful of videos this week.

Vgamer

Choppasmith said:
What's wrong with looking at them as "new" characters for you to learn more about?

Ya thats how I look at it. I have never heard of them either so I just see them as new characters. Cool to try them all out and find their strengths and weaknesses.

TheFreshPrince

If I want to wait for a pricedrop on the stick...what's my next best option?

Gamecube or Classic controller? I feel like both will suck, but what is the lesser of the two evils?

Mafro

Got my copy today in the UK. Ryu is a monster in this:lol

Just had the one game of online so far and it was smooth and lag-free, and I won:D

I'm glad I bought a classic controller pro for this.

Vgamer

TheFreshPrince said:
If I want to wait for a pricedrop on the stick...what's my next best option?

Gamecube or Classic controller? I feel like both will suck, but what is the lesser of the two evils?

I think the CC would be a better choice as the button layout is better for this game IMO. It sucks that the CCpro wont be out for a few months yet in the US as that is the controller I really want. :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Frank is difficult to play as, but once you master him, he plays off quite well!

Anyway, this is the health chart of all the characters in the game, courtesy of Rockeits of SRK:

1.) Gold Lightan ~71,500hp

2.) PTX-40A ~65,000hp

3.) Alex, Tekkaman ~54,500hp

4.) Kaijin no Soki ~52,000hp

5.) Frank West, Tekkaman Blade, Casshan ~49,500hp

6.) Ryu, Batsu, Doronjo, Polimar ~48,000hp

7.) Chun Li, Viewtiful Joe, Ippatsuman ~46,000hp

8.) Morrigan, Saki, Joe the Condor, Jun the Swan, Ken the Eagle ~44,000hp

9.) Megaman Trigger, Yatterman-1, Yatterman-2 ~42,000hp

10.) Roll, Zero ~40,000hp

11.) Karas ~37,500

Top Bottom