• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think someone noted that the roku ui now defaults to having fald turned on? is that accurate? i guess i'll see if i can see the corner flashlighting in the netflix menus lol

Dubz

I was just at Costco and saw this fro $414 or $444 can't remember. I would love I get this set but I want a 65" TV.

Yeah so I just tested game mode after the update, with FALD turned on, and I can report there is no noticable difference in input lag vs the normal game mode from before. I'm playing Superbeat Xonic, a rhythm game that requires some amount of precision, and I left all the in-game settings the same as before. No difference in lag that I can tell, I'm still getting SUPERBEATS on every note. Fucking sweet.

//ARCANUM

Watching my first 4K Blu Ray via Xbox one s on the P607. It kinda looks like it has a 120hz smooth motion effect going on but I see no settings to for anything like that to disable it. Maybe it's just the movie (WarCraft) is so CGI heavy it feels that way?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think someone noted that the roku ui now defaults to having fald turned on? is that accurate? i guess i'll see if i can see the corner flashlighting in the netflix menus lol

Still see flash lighting in the roku Netflix ui so I don't think fald is on like someone claimed.

Watching my first 4K Blu Ray via Xbox one s on the P607. It kinda looks like it has a 120hz smooth motion effect going on but I see no settings to for anything like that to disable it. Maybe it's just the movie (WarCraft) is so CGI heavy it feels that way?

This movie is amazing in 4K! I just popped it in my Xbox One S because of your post and I'm watching it now. There was some talk earlier about there being some "smart" smoothing or whatever based on some of TCL's responses to Amazon customer questions, but I dunno... it does not look like "soap opera effect" to me, because my last TV had that and it was terribad for movies. I can see that this is a normal movie amount of FPS anytime there is a pan around and stuff.

Also, I used some picture settings from a recent AVS Forum post since all mine got reset after the update, and I'm keeping it this way because it's awesome. I tweaked a few things for my set anyway which are posted below... along with original source for credit (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ers-thread-no-price-talk-62.html#post54546922)... Also FUCK WARM YELLOW PISS MODE, normal 4 lyfe.

NON HDR
TV Brightness Brighter
Picture Mode Normal
Direct

Advanced
Local Contrast: High

Backlight 100
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 53
Tint +2
Color temp Normal

HDR
TV Brightness Brighter
Picture Mode BRIGHT HDR (if Dolby Vision, DV Bright)
Direct

Local Contrast HIGH

Backlight 100
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Sharpnes 15
Color 80
Tint 0

Color temp Normal

For HDR you have GOT to bump that color setting up to 80, which may seem uncomfortable to think about, but trust me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

It's a 60Hz TV.

JG5253

Its just the motion handling. Avsforum found a good improvement by turning off noise reduction and changing sharpness to 0

So this TV was my first foray into firmware upgrade-able TVs. I turned it on upset that all of my calibration settings had been reset... I didn't realize the TV would update itself, I figured I had to manually do that! I will eagerly await rtings updated calibration guide (assuming they will update it)

KageMaru

This movie is amazing in 4K! I just popped it in my Xbox One S because of your post and I'm watching it now. There was some talk earlier about there being some "smart" smoothing or whatever based on some of TCL's responses to Amazon customer questions, but I dunno... it does not look like "soap opera effect" to me, because my last TV had that and it was terribad for movies. I can see that this is a normal movie amount of FPS anytime there is a pan around and stuff.

Also, I used some picture settings from a recent AVS Forum post since all mine got reset after the update, and I'm keeping it this way because it's awesome. I tweaked a few things for my set anyway which are posted below... along with original source for credit (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ers-thread-no-price-talk-62.html#post54546922)... Also FUCK WARM YELLOW PISS MODE, normal 4 lyfe.

NON HDR
TV Brightness Brighter
Picture Mode Normal
Direct

Advanced
Local Contrast: High

Backlight 100
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 53
Tint +2
Color temp Normal

HDR
TV Brightness Brighter
Picture Mode BRIGHT HDR (if Dolby Vision, DV Bright)
Direct

Local Contrast HIGH

Backlight 100
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Sharpnes 15
Color 80
Tint 0

Color temp Normal

For HDR you have GOT to bump that color setting up to 80, which may seem uncomfortable to think about, but trust me.

Aren't the colors really oversaturated with these settings?

So this TV was my first foray into firmware upgrade-able TVs. I turned it on upset that all of my calibration settings had been reset... I didn't realize the TV would update itself, I figured I had to manually do that! I will eagerly await rtings updated calibration guide (assuming they will update it)

Not sure they will update the calibration settings if the only major change is enabling FALD in game mode.

ParityBit

Aw man, resetting my settings kinda screwed me because I never wrote them down. Thankfully there are not many to change, but I have no idea what I had set!

So with game mode .... what is the difference between that and non-game mode now? Other than a reduction in lag? I will turn it on all my game inputs

JG5253

Aw man, resetting my settings kinda screwed me because I never wrote them down. Thankfully there are not many to change, but I have no idea what I had set!

So with game mode .... what is the difference between that and non-game mode now? Other than a reduction in lag? I will turn it on all my game inputs
In the roku phone app there's an expert picture setting with a bunch of options

ParityBit

Do you guys play around with the white level numbers and stuff? Or is that specific to ech TV? I have seen people post various numbers. I am wondering if I should even touch those.

funcojoe

In my experience as a photographer for over a decade getting everything as realistic as possible with an image doesn't mean it's going to be pleasing to the eye.

I think the rtings calibration should be used as a guide and from there tweak to what you like.

I'm still not completely satisfied with my settings but for most av enthusiasts they are calibrating for what they deem the best picture for cinema/movies. Games imo are a whole different ballpark.

Obviously I would put the color up some from 50, as to how much , you should know when you're going into overblown mode.

Brightness I would either keep at 50 or knock it down a tad, the higher you go with it you're battling the contrast and will bring out shadows that shouldn't be.

Sharpness again is personal preference, I think at zero the picture is too dull, I personally like a sharp image. I'm going to experiment with this today but 15-20 sounds about right.

SOLDIER

My parents are currently shopping for a TV for their living room. They want something that's 4K and around 60', but also want something inexpensive.

Will this TV satisfy them, even though they have zero plans to use it for gaming? As far as watching movies and cable TV goes, is this still a great value or are there similarly-priced TVs that would better suit their needs?

Klocker

Has anyone else tried to calibrate this TV on an Xbox One?

Neither the brightness nor the contrast eyes show up at all in any mode is there a reason for this? picture looks great but it just doesn't calibrate with the Xbox One sample pictures

KageMaru

Do you guys play around with the white level numbers and stuff? Or is that specific to ech TV? I have seen people post various numbers. I am wondering if I should even touch those.

I would like to but not without some kind of calibration tool. There are too many options and factors for me to keep track of everything by eye. Every set and display environment is different so we can copy numbers and expect them to turn out the same.

Odd, I actually turned the color down to 45 in SDR mode because I thought they were too strong. I'll have to try the settings later when I have a chance.

Another odd choice with those settings is the use of sharpness. Every calibration guide I've seen suggests having sharpness set to 0 since we're working with digital signals.

My parents are currently shopping for a TV for their living room. They want something that's 4K and around 60', but also want something inexpensive.

Will this TV satisfy them, even though they have zero plans to use it for gaming? As far as watching movies and cable TV goes, is this still a great value or are there similarly-priced TVs that would better suit their needs?

If they are OK with a 55" this TV is great with movies. I own 3 UHD HDR movies on Vudu and they all look amazing. SDR content looks great as well.

Has anyone else tried to calibrate this TV on an Xbox One?

Neither the brightness nor the contrast eyes show up at all in any mode is there a reason for this? picture looks great but it just doesn't calibrate with the Xbox One sample pictures

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I don't know if that's common with HDR displays or if there is something lacking with the test or TV. I even tried changing the color setting to 10 bit to see if that makes a difference and nope. Speaking of that setting, should we have the Xbox set to 10 or 8 bit color knowing the TV uses a 10 bit display?

ParityBit

So for some reason I have a display in the upper left (Netflix) telling me the time/audio/video info. How do I get rid of it?

Salamande

So for some reason I have a display in the upper left (Netflix) telling me the time/audio/video info. How do I get rid of it?

I had the same problem. Back out to the video description (the screen right before playing) and hit the asterisk button once. That should get rid of it.

//ARCANUM

So when I turn on the TV (with the remote) it comes on and brings me to the main menu, but then it takes like 5-8 seconds for the remote to start responding. In the upper right corner of the screen I can see it says "connecting" during that time period. Any idea what it's about? I mean, I could understand "connecting" to the remote.... but I used the remote to turn it on lol.

Anyone else have this?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Been seeing tcl trying to get their name out there. Seems like they are doing tv giveaways and social media promotion through influencers. Also seen some events being sponsored by them as well as heard radio spots while driving in la.

So when I turn on the TV (with the remote) it comes on and brings me to the main menu, but then it takes like 5-8 seconds for the remote to start responding. In the upper right corner of the screen I can see it says "connecting" during that time period. Any idea what it's about? I mean, I could understand "connecting" to the remote.... but I used the remote to turn it on lol.

Anyone else have this?

The internet probably

Anyone else have this?

The connecting message is it connecting to your wireless or wired network depending on the kind of connection you setup. Not sure that should be messing with the remote at all.

//ARCANUM

Hey all! Got a couple questions:

- Had a weird thing happen tonight while watching Game Of Thrones through the HBO NOW app built into the tv.

While watching it looked and sounded fantastic. Was getting 5.1 audio. About halfway through, I'm guessing HBO's servers were hammered (because GoT had just dropped) and the quality started to tank (I'm pretty sure it was HBO because my speed tests were still showing super fast speeds - like 300Mbps +). After some buffering, it comes back and 5.1 is gone....

I closed the app and went back in and we were still getting low quality streaming video and no 5.1....

So, is 5.1 tied to streaming quality? Like if it has to drop, will it just drop out surround sound? Or was something weird going on.

- I also noticed local dimming a LOT more when the visual quality was lowered. Like I can almost never notice local dimming but when the quality was lowered, it almost looked like I could see sections of the display like "clicking off" to do the local dimming. It was very distracting.

Also, one more thing with local dimming - It acts really strange in credits. I get how the tech works, but has anyone else noticed in credits that it basically creates a vignette around them where in the middle they're perfectly white and then when you get closer to the edges they get darker? It feels like the local dimming is going too far. (I only really notice this when white credits over a black screen.) I also notice it in the Xbox One settings menus (as it's basically just white text/boxes over a big black screen).

TheShocker

Any recommendations for handling motion blur? I set this up today, replacing my 2010 Panasonic G20. The input lag is a non issue and is great, but I am seeing some slight ghosting. Light, dark, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have game mode on and noise reduction off. Is it just my eyes ability to pick it up or am I missing a setting on the TV/app itself? I also installed the latest firmware.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Any recommendations for handling motion blur? I set this up today, replacing my 2010 Panasonic G20. The input lag is a non issue and is great, but I am seeing some slight ghosting. Light, dark, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have game mode on and noise reduction off. Is it just my eyes ability to pick it up or am I missing a setting on the TV/app itself? I also installed the latest firmware.

It sounds like your eyes just aren't used to the lower motion resolution coming from plasma. This TV is only 60hz and doesn't have any motion smoothing options.

I was like this too as I came from a kuro. Think I'm used to it now but it still sometimes jarring for some games. Don't really notice it as much when viewing content.

What are the dimensions of the package the 55" version of this tv comes in ?
Also are the feet pre-installed ? Can the feet be installed by only one person ?

Norse

Also are the feet pre-installed ? Can the feet be installed by only one person ?

One person can handle it. TV's are super lightweight now days. If I could install my 1080p 65" Vizio legs alone I'm sure you can handle a little 55" by yourself.

RedAssedApe

Banned

55x34x7

Yes. How I did it was I took the tv out of the box and laid it flat on the box so that it was elevated and I could screw on the feet. The tv only weighs 38lbs so I don't see any problems for your average person lifting it. Unless you have short arms. Tv is 49 inches long so I just hugged it to lift it onto my stand.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I came from a 120Hz panel and this is a 60Hz panel and I can notice how less smooth the image can be.

Most of the time I am fine with it, but the lack of true 120Hz is the only knock I have against this TV. I would have paid an additional $100 for it.

TheShocker

It sounds like your eyes just aren't used to the lower motion resolution coming from plasma. This TV is only 60hz and doesn't have any motion smoothing options.

I was like this too as I came from a kuro. Think I'm used to it now but it still sometimes jarring for some games. Don't really notice it as much when viewing content.
I notice it the most when playing games, which is my primary reason for getting the tv. Some games are better than others, but I'm on the fence about returning it or seeing if I can adjust. Everything else about the tv is way better than my G20.
I came from a 120Hz panel and this is a 60Hz panel and I can notice how less smooth the image can be.

Most of the time I am fine with it, but the lack of true 120Hz is the only knock I have against this TV. I would have paid an additional $100 for it.
input lag is great. It's motion blur that's bothering me. I too would have paid more for a 120Hz panel.

Been waiting for Open box - was it listed online?
I honestly don't know. They had a x900e open box as well and that is listed online, but I didn't look prior to going in the store, which kind of influenced an impulse buy.

vg260

Does 120 Hz help if you're only running games at 60 fps max? Doesn't running a TV like this add a lot of lag if you use 120Hz smoothing, or will it still help with blurring at 60Hz even if off?

//ARCANUM

Does 120 Hz help if you're only running games at 60 fps max? Doesn't running a TV like this add a lot of lag if you use 120Hz smoothing, or will it still help with blurring at 60Hz even if off?

It's a 60Hz tv. There is no 120hz motion smoothing.

//ARCANUM

It's kinda frustrating that I can see local dimming essentially happening on certain shots. Meaning that I can see it dim in a flash sometimes. It's distracting and disappointing. Anyone else notice this sometimes?

Is this just the reality of local dimming?

Just curious the built in Netflix app uses Dolby vision. Do TVs that only support HDR 10 get HDR instead of Dolby Vision on Netflix? I watched Meridian on YouTube which uses a HDR10 codec while the version on Netflix uses Dolby Vision. They both looked good but the TV had a brighter more natural look while watching it on YouTube which I preferred. Does HDR10 content display brighter or was the YouTube version enhanced?

Top Bottom