• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

KageMaru

A lot of the videos on YouTube that are labeled hdr don't seem to actually display in hdr on the tv. It seems very random which ones actually activate hdr. I can tell because the hdr notification doesn't display in the corner. Any suggestions?

I've seen that. I'm thinking these videos are not really HDR and the uploader has no idea why they are talking about when posting the video.

The "mastered in 4K" version is the Blu-Ray.
It just means the source has been mastered in 4K before being put onto a 1080p BD.

The UHD version of course is the original 4K version.
And it does look good.

Awesome, that makes sense. Thanks.

The last "Fifth Element" released on a regular Blu-ray was mastered from a 4K source and downconverted to the 2K/1080p resolution of Blu-ray.

All UHD Blu-ray movies have HDR. UHD (Ultra High Definition) is just the name for the 3840x2160 / 4K Resolution.

I know UHD is a name for 4K lol but thanks for also explaining the rest, I do appreciate it.

It's been a long time since I've paid attention to movies on disc. With every UHD blu-ray required to support HDR, I'm surprised there aren't more HDR movies on the digital platforms.

ParityBit

I have, yeah. Absolutely wipe it. De-link your account and reformat the hard drive.

For save backups, if you have PS+ just ensure that everything uploaded to the cloud correctly. If you don't have PS+, you can back up the entire hard drive (Games and all) to an external.

Well, I did an activate/deactivate to make sure it was deactivated my account, then did a full format. 2 hours left. Hopefully I did this correct and it will be ready tomorrow so I can swap it for a Pro....

Stiler

A lot of the videos on YouTube that are labeled hdr don't seem to actually display in hdr on the tv. It seems very random which ones actually activate hdr. I can tell because the hdr notification doesn't display in the corner. Any suggestions?

The HDR channel is where you'll find a lot of great true HDR videos,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve7_yAZHFNipzeAGBI5t9g

A lot of other ones on youtube are titled "HDR" but they aren't actually hdr.

If you watch a video that says HDR in the title but the HDR notification doesn't pop up on the tv then it's not actually hdr.

//ARCANUM

i think ppl often confuse ultra hd with hdr

UHD = 4K resolution
HDR = high dynamic range

You can have a UHD Blu day that doesn’t have HDR on it, right? Just means it’s 4K resolution but doesn’t have enhanced range. Or am I incorrect?

So I decided to go with the tcl TV's. But when I use the Netflix app and switch between videos the screen goes black for a few seconds. It is driving me nuts does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Stiler

So I decided to go with the tcl TV's. But when I use the Netflix app and switch between videos the screen goes black for a few seconds. It is driving me nuts does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Are you using an a/v receiver? If you are this kind of thing is usually caused by your video settings in the receiver.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
UHD = 4K resolution
HDR = high dynamic range

You can have a UHD Blu day that doesn’t have HDR on it, right? Just means it’s 4K resolution but doesn’t have enhanced range. Or am I incorrect?

This was answered on the previous page.

You will not see any movie released on 4K bluray without some form of HDR.

Technically, you can have 4K without HDR and they can put 4K video without HDR on a 4K bluray disc, but the governing rules of the Bluray Disc Association require that all movies released on 4K bluray MUST have HDR.

Let me repeat:
All movies released on 4K bluray MUST have HDR.

All movies released on 4K bluray MUST have HDR

DirtyLarry

So I picked this set up as a hold over until OLED drops in price. Got the Best Buy model without the Advanced Remote. It arrives Monday.
I am sure I will have a few questions, specifically how to use the Roku app to access advanced settings if I cannot figure that out. I probably will though, just like being prepared and knowing what to expect.

So I rented the UHD version of Kong Skull Island off of VUDU last night and watched it along with my new 5.1 set up and damn was it an incredible experience. HDR has that movie theater look, pair that along with my surround sound system and I gotta say it was a damn good experience.

FlipCup

Neo Member
Quick Question for anyone here that may know the answer. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser 175 hooked up to my P607. They are connected via the 3.5mm cable between the TV and headphone base.

Is there an option that when I want to listen to the TV without the headphones, I can disable the headphones? As of now, I have to unplug the 3.5mm cable from the TV each time I want to hear the TV without the headphones.

Thanks!

Spasm

Costco now has the 55" TCL C-Series which afaict, differs from the P-Series in few key areas... No FALD (edge-lit), premium audio (lol), but interestingly, will be available later in 75" while the P maxes out at 65".

Edit: Good news, Rtings is reporting that FALD now works with game mode on the P, and has updated their review.

Edit2...beaten by KageMaru.

Well, I did an activate/deactivate to make sure it was deactivated my account, then did a full format. 2 hours left. Hopefully I did this correct and it will be ready tomorrow so I can swap it for a Pro....

That's exactly what I did for the two PS4s I traded to GameStop. They'll go through the quick setup process, won't activate a PSN account on it, and will install/play a game from disc to confirm it works. My gamestop went with Mighty No. 9 I think because it could install and play within something like 2 minutes. After that, they wipe it again after you leave.

Quick Question for anyone here that may know the answer. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser 175 hooked up to my P607. They are connected via the 3.5mm cable between the TV and headphone base.

Is there an option that when I want to listen to the TV without the headphones, I can disable the headphones? As of now, I have to unplug the 3.5mm cable from the TV each time I want to hear the TV without the headphones.

Thanks!
I was looking for the answer to this a few weeks ago. I do not believe it is possible without unplugging it.

ParityBit

That's exactly what I did for the two PS4s I traded to GameStop. They'll go through the quick setup process, won't activate a PSN account on it, and will install/play a game from disc to confirm it works. My gamestop went with Mighty No. 9 I think because it could install and play within something like 2 minutes. After that, they wipe it again after you leave.

I just did a trade check online and it says I can get $150 for it. I printed out the sheet as proof (Says it is good today)

So I guess today is as good as a day as any!

kareem01899

Neo Member

Thanks!

If you have the P607 you should be able to plug in the headphones into the 3.5mm port of the remote for private listening.

Dealer A

Neo Member
I bought the p605 about a week ago. I like it so far.

Pros:

-Crazy good latency. I'm getting under 1 frame when I test it with my HDMI NES. It's noticeable compared to the Sony w600b that I am coming from. It's one of the main reasons I bought the TV and the reason I'm not taking it back to the store.
-Roku. I've never used Roku before and it's really great. Everything is extremely intuitive and easy to find. The controls are quick with very little loading.

Cons:

-It does have some really obvious gray uniformity issues. It also displays some pretty bad light bleed when on a black screen. It's distracting when playing games in 4:3 with a black background. My old Sony was much better in this respect, but I think I can get used to it.
-Only 3 HDMI inputs, c'mon.
-Remote seems not 100% responsive all the time.
-I am finding myself constantly adjusting the picture settings depending on what I am watching or playing. Maybe it just takes a while to find something that works, but my favorite "Horizon" settings didn't work well for "Bloodborne"

Thoughts:

I am a little underwhelmed by the offerings of 4k so far. I expected a jump comparable to the day I bought my first LCD HDTV, but it's far short of that. I like this TV and I think it's a good purchase, but I wish my expectations would have been a little bit more in check. Hopefully the PS4 Pro sees some more games that really take advantage of the system.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I bought the p605 about a week ago. I like it so far.

Pros:

-Crazy good latency. I'm getting under 1 frame when I test it with my HDMI NES. It's noticeable compared to the Sony w600b that I am coming from. It's one of the main reasons I bought the TV and the reason I'm not taking it back to the store.
-Roku. I've never used Roku before and it's really great. Everything is extremely intuitive and easy to find. The controls are quick with very little loading.

Cons:

-It does have some really obvious gray uniformity issues. It also displays some pretty bad light bleed when on a black screen. It's distracting when playing games in 4:3 with a black background. My old Sony was much better in this respect, but I think I can get used to it.
-Only 3 HDMI inputs, c'mon.
-Remote seems not 100% responsive all the time.
-I am finding myself constantly adjusting the picture settings depending on what I am watching or playing. Maybe it just takes a while to find something that works, but my favorite "Horizon" settings didn't work well for "Bloodborne"

Thoughts:

I am a little underwhelmed by the offerings of 4k so far. I expected a jump comparable to the day I bought my first LCD HDTV, but it's far short of that. I like this TV and I think it's a good purchase, but I wish my expectations would have been a little bit more in check. Hopefully the PS4 Pro sees some more games that really take advantage of the system.

Probably because the remote in the 605 is IR and requires line of sight. I had to use an IR repeater with my Harmony hub as my soundbar blocks the IR receiver at the bottom of the tv.

ParityBit

everything on the ps4 video settings on auto. set the hdmi input on the tv to use hdmi 2.0

Thanks! I am hoping to get this trying this tonight after the wife goes to bed!

One fishy thing did happen when I brought my old PS4 into exchange. I went to Gamestop and I dropped it on the counter. While they were looking it over, I entertained my son so he would stay out of the hair of other people there. He is only 3 1/2 but loves to fool around with the consoles.

Anyways, they called me over and showed me a ripped thumb pad. I was very surprised and I thought that there was no way it was mine. I keep my stuff in great shape and this had some scuffs that did not look familiar. They said I could just swap the one from the PRO and that would work.

So instead I said no, drove home and got my other controller and swapped that one. I still have NO idea if that was really my controller ..... but I am leaning to something funky happened when I was not paying attention.

In any case, I have my Pro and it was unopened and a fresh new controller.

I haven't been able to get local dimming (called local contrast in the settings) to work in game mode. My TV says it's fully updated, and it says it's running version 7.6.6 build 4152-30. Isn't version 7.7 supposed to add local dimming to game mode?

Mine is the P605 if that matters.

I haven't been able to get local dimming (called local contrast in the settings) to work in game mode. My TV says it's fully updated, and it says it's running version 7.6.6 build 4152-30. Isn't version 7.7 supposed to add local dimming to game mode?

Mine is the P605 if that matters.

Go to setting and update the TV

Leedogg

It's been a long time since I've paid attention to movies on disc. With every UHD blu-ray required to support HDR, I'm surprised there aren't more HDR movies on the digital platforms.

UHD Blu-rays discs are not required to support HDR. The movie Bad Santa 2 is just one example that does not have HDR on the UHD Blu-ray disc.

UHD = 4K resolution
HDR = high dynamic range

You can have a UHD Blu day that doesn't have HDR on it, right? Just means it's 4K resolution but doesn't have enhanced range. Or am I incorrect?

Yup, that's right. If it doesn't have HDR it would just be the 4K resolution upgrade.

Yeah I think it's technically allowed so I think you can but at the moment I can't think of any discs that have actually come without HDR so far.

Probably won't happen much since they are pushing the combo of 4K and HDR together now. Could be wrong though if there is one somewhere that's been released like that, maybe one of the first ones if any.

Edit: Actually here's one, one of the super early 4K blu-rays
IMAX: Extreme Nature Collection 4K Blu-ray

All movies released on 4K bluray MUST have HDR

I believe the requirement is that all movies that contain any form of HDR must also always include the more widespread basic HDR10. For example a 4K blu-ray is not allowed to come with just Dolby Vision.

It's telling me I'm already fully updated.

After shutting it down, it now says I'm running version 7.6.2, but local dimming still isn't usable in game mode. The local contrast and dynamic contrast tabs are greyed out.

Go to settings then system update and click check now. Should update to 7.7.0 Build:4111

I have the P605 also

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Is the P605 effectively the same as the P607, just smaller?

So I've finalized my decision to get this tv but do we have any more concrete info on when the 65 inch will ship? I know I would like the 55 but man i would love the 65 but I don't want to wait all the way until November or December.

funcojoe

So I've had the set now for over a month and have been playing Uncharted, ratchet and clank, and horizon in hdr and I absolutely love it.

For me gaming with this tv came before movies/tv, with the low input lag and my want of hdr/dv gaming, the price couldn't be beat.

I'm am more then satisfied and look forward to hdr gaming on the 1x as well.

With that said , I see a lot of posts here and on avs forum about settings and Dolby vision bring to dark, or the picture in general is too dark. I just want to say to perspective buyers that hdr and Dolby vision are never going to look uniform on different media or games due to the way the developers, or director grade their respective projects.

This isn't like calibrating a tv and that's what you use for everything. I've been color grading, and a professional photographer for over a decade and I can tell you from one project to the next things change. I may want to crush the blacks, I may way to desaturated the image, and in all honesty I think everyone needs to understand that until we are given full calibration of the hdr settings what you have to accept is that you more then likely will be changing settings based off the different media you're watching or playing. Changing them to your personal preference, this is the first set I've calibrated and feel that I have to adjust daily. That's just the nature of hdr right now.

Outside of hdr yes you can dial in a setting that you prolly won't have to mess with again.

Just wanted to let the newer guys to hdr know what to expect.

vg260

The TCL website lists a 50" version, but it looks like it's not available. Are they planning to release it later?

I might cave later in the year, but the 55" leg span is a bit too wide for my current stand, which I like and don't want to get rid of. I assume you can take off the feet and buy a VESA table mount?

Also, if you buy the version with the remote with headset feature, does that mean it does not use IR at all? I use a Logitech Harmony remote, and would want it to be IR-based.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The TCL website lists a 50" version, but it looks like it's not available. Are they planning to release it later?

I might cave later in the year, but the 55" leg span is a bit too wide for my current stand, which I like and don't want to get rid of. I assume you can take off the feet and buy a VESA table mount?

Also, if you buy the version with the remote with headset feature, does that mean it does not use IR at all? I use a Logitech Harmony remote, and would want it to be IR-based.

I have a VESA mount for it and it works well.

hao chi

Heh, I just saw this thread a few days after deciding to buy the 605. I can't wait to get it, but I'm waiting until I can start moving into my new apartment later this month to buy it.

//ARCANUM

The P605 has the update.

How bad is the ARC audio delay to a sound bar?

The audio delay for me was so bad I had to come up with a whole new setup.

Question: with local dimming, is anyone experiencing flickers/quick adjustments? I’ll notice sometimes when it cuts to a new shot, I’ll see the area of the display under a dark section dim as if it was on a light switch. It’s not subtle and kinda distracting. Is this just the nature of local dimming?

It doesn’t happen all the time, just randomly on specific shots (but I notice it in pretty much all video content 1080 and 4K HDR.

Top Bottom