• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just curious the built in Netflix app uses Dolby vision. Do TVs that only support HDR 10 get HDR instead of Dolby Vision on Netflix? I watched Meridian on YouTube which uses a HDR10 codec while the version on Netflix uses Dolby Vision. They both looked good but the TV had a brighter more natural look while watching it on YouTube which I preferred. Does HDR10 content display brighter or was the YouTube version enhanced?

Anything with Dolby Vision that is played back on a non-DV equipment will revert to HDR-10

FlipCup

Neo Member
Perhaps I am losing it but I am looking to verify that my Netflix app is running at 4K. I am watching Narcos. Does anyone know how to do that with the Roku remote? I pressed the "*" button but it did not show me anything.

Anything with Dolby Vision that is played back on a non-DV equipment will revert to HDR-10

I understand that,all the Dolby vision content on Netflix is not really impressive. The HDR10 content on Amazon and YouTube has looked great. Since this TV is only a 10 Bit panel and only around 750 nits which is close to the requirements of HDR10. Would running Dolby Vision content (which requires a 12 bit panel and 4000 Nits) instead of HDR10 content cause the screen to be more dark.

In other words I wanna see what HDR10 Netflix looks on the TV instead of Dolby vision. To see if there's any difference.

sneaky77

Perhaps I am losing it but I am looking to verify that my Netflix app is running at 4K. I am watching Narcos. Does anyone know how to do that with the Roku remote? I pressed the "*" button but it did not show me anything.

before you hit play on the series there will be a logo in the netflix page of what quality is using

Soroc

Try pressing the "OK" button I think.

Edit: Disregard, looks like that only works when using an input like the PS4 Pro.

KageMaru

I think if you hit the "*" button before clicking on play, it will display your info to the top left but there is no way to toggle it on and off while playing a video AFAIK.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What I think will be happening is that TCL ultimately probably wants to do what Vizio did and compete with the big boys by moving beyond the "value" label and into the price range where they can sell TVs for $1000+ . If you recall Vizio was known as the cheap Walmart brand back in the day, but now they are a serious competitor to Samsung, Sony and LG.

The one feature this TV lacks is a true 120Hz panel.

It's possible they might have made that more difficult for themselves by making the P607 TOO good of a value.

The only feature this TV lacks that would make it absolutely perfect is a 120Hz refresh rate like my previous TV had. It handles 24Hz content well enough, but I do notice some slight ghosting and judder during scenes with a lot of movement that were much smoother on my previous TV which was true 120Hz.

I hope TCL can accomplish this.

TheShocker

^^^

I couldn't agree more. This TV has better blacks, better colors, over all better image IQ (4k vs 1080p) and just as good of input lag as my previous tv. I just can't get past the motion blur. I feel like some sort of motion smoothing option could help, since it isn't terrible. I just notice enough to bitch about it on here. I am most likely returning this in hopes to get a true 120Hz panel.

RedAssedApe

Banned
well you also get into the compromise of motion smoothing options introducing input lag no? i don't think a 120 hz panel is the solution...

if you absolutely can't stand the motion, the solution is buy an old plasma until technology (hopefully) gets better :)

ParityBit

I really love this TV.

I am in the process of trading my PS4 for a Pro with Amazon, but I have questions and chat was USELESS. Language barrier was horrendous.

I get excited whenever this thread pops back up because it means someone else is joining the 4k future.

I really love this TV.

I am in the process of trading my PS4 for a Pro with Amazon, but I have questions and chat was USELESS. Language barrier was horrendous.
Just trade it to gamestop. There offering $120 cash or credit today. That's $3 less than Amazon but it's a lot less hassle.

ParityBit

I get excited whenever this thread pops back up because it means someone else is joining the 4k future.

Just trade it to gamestop. There offering $120 cash or credit today. That's $3 less than Amazon but it's a lot less hassle.

My main questions are do I need to box and original papers and stuff? Also, what do I need to send in? I can't find any of that. Like controller....I think I got a headset with it? I do not know.

KageMaru

My main questions are do I need to box and original papers and stuff? Also, what do I need to send in? I can't find any of that. Like controller....I think I got a headset with it? I do not know.

Not sure about Amazon but Gamestop takes everything without a box. The cables, controller, and system should be all you need to trade it in.

With gamestop you need: system with hard drive, power cord, hdmi cord and functional controller. If the controller has torn plastic on the sticks you need to have a cover for them or buy the covers at the store. Amazon I have no idea what they want. System has to be able to go online.

ParityBit

Okay so is this okay?

• console
  • controller (does it matter which I give? I have a couple and no idea what is the original)
  • Charging cable (does it matter which? I just found one which looks brand new but no idea if original)
  • Power cord

I do not have the headset, papers or box

Okay so is this okay?

• console
  • controller (does it matter which I give? I have a couple and no idea what is the original)
  • Charging cable (does it matter which? I just found one which looks brand new but no idea if original)
  • Power cord

I do not have the headset, papers or box

You need an HDMI cable as well, sorry If I forgot to mention that.
Controller, doesn't matter if it's the original or not.
I forgot about the charging cord as well but it doesn't matter if it's the original or not.
You do not need the headset, papers or box.

KageMaru

Rtings updated their review acknowledging FALD works in game mode now but no mention of input lag changes. Guessing it's safe to say no changes with the lag.

Testing DJMAX Respect right now, game mode with FALD on, and default in-game timing settings. Just made a max combo on a sight-read chart. If there is any lag it must be crazy crazy low.

Rtings updated their review acknowledging FALD works in game mode now but no mention of input lag changes. Guessing it's safe to say no changes with the lag.

Rtings emailed me back today saying they will update the review with updated results, I'm guessing it should be posted sometime this week.

ParityBit

You need an HDMI cable as well, sorry If I forgot to mention that.
Controller, doesn't matter if it's the original or not.
I forgot about the charging cord as well but it doesn't matter if it's the original or not.
You do not need the headset, papers or box.

I wish I could do this with Amazon for the credit to go with my points!

TheShocker

well you also get into the compromise of motion smoothing options introducing input lag no? i don't think a 120 hz panel is the solution...

if you absolutely can't stand the motion, the solution is buy an old plasma until technology (hopefully) gets better :)
Very true. I replaced a Panasonic plasma with this TV, so that will be going in the living room.

//ARCANUM

My wife and I watched about an hour of THE FIFTH ELEMENT UHD Blu ray tonight. That movie and this tv are gorgeous. I seriously can't believe the value in this thing for the price tag.

ParityBit

Not sure what you mean by points but gamestop is offering $120 cash for ps4, so you can still buy from Amazon if you want.

I have an Amazon credit card, so as rewards I get Amazon points. That being said, I can easily find other things to use those on! I could just trade in the old one for a new Pro at Gamestop I guess. Is stock pretty solid at this point or should I call ahead?

Also, how do I best prep/wipe/save my crap on my old one before trade-in?

KageMaru

Rtings emailed me back today saying they will update the review with updated results, I'm guessing it should be posted sometime this week.

Cool thanks. I'm really interested to see the updated results. Not sure if it's all in my head but sometimes there appears to be an ever so slight bit of additional lag when turning FALD on in game mode. Could really be my imagination though. I hope they test and cover ever setting of the mode.

My wife and I watched about an hour of THE FIFTH ELEMENT UHD Blu ray tonight. That movie and this tv are gorgeous. I seriously can't believe the value in this thing for the price tag.

I bet that movie looked great in UHD. Any chance it supports HDR?
I'm guessing it doesn't.

Sugarmonkey

Just wanted to give everyone in this thread a shout-out for all the helpful info. It's definitely made my experience with this TV better, and it's nice to have people to ask when I have dumb questions (like if my TV was going to catch on fire after I turned it on due to the "new electronic smell").

This TV continues to impress and I gotta say I love the roku interface and want it in every TV I purchase moving forward. It's basically a Roku Ultra built in which retails for 100$. This TV is a must buy at 600$.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm guessing it doesn't.
No idea why you would think it doesn't but yes the 5th Element 4K bluray supports HDR.

Here is the best part:

ALL 4K bluray films support HDR as it is mandatory for the format.

KageMaru

No idea why you would think it doesn't but yes the 5th Element 4K bluray supports HDR.

Here is the best part:

ALL 4K bluray films support HDR as it is mandatory for the format.

I assumed it didn't since it's not shown or mentioned to support HDR on the Amazon page for the movie. Will definitely have to order this and other movies when I pick up a 1X.

//ARCANUM

Cool thanks. I'm really interested to see the updated results. Not sure if it's all in my head but sometimes there appears to be an ever so slight bit of additional lag when turning FALD on in game mode. Could really be my imagination though. I hope they test and cover ever setting of the mode.

I'm guessing it doesn't.

It indeed supports HDR!

ParityBit

Has anyone traded in the PS4 to Gamestop? I am wondering what I need to do before bringing it to them in terms of backing up saves and/or wiping it? I have read do not wipe it, but what about my account?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

I'm guessing it doesn't.

I watched it on my Sony 65x900e and thought the movie looked passable in 4k. Decently the weakest 4k uhd Ive watched so far.

Yes it supports hdr.

I am planning to buy 2 4k tv's for my living room. My wife and I both game and we are going to buy 2 Xbox One X's when they come out. We are thinking about getting this TV but I am really worried about it only being 60 HZ. Is there another TV that people can recommend for around the same price that is 120 HZ and also good for gaming, or is 60 HZ not a huge deal breaker? Thanks for any help.

Edit: I should have said we are looking for 2 65'' TV's and hoping to spend less then $2000 total.

KageMaru

It indeed supports HDR!

Awesome thank you. I wish it was labeled on the package on Amazon.

I watched it on my Sony 65x900e and thought the movie looked passable in 4k. Decently the weakest 4k uhd Ive watched so far.

Yes it supports hdr.

Well that's disappointing. The movie seems like the perfect fit for 4K HDR.

I am planning to buy 2 4k tv's for my living room. My wife and I both game and we are going to buy 2 Xbox One X's when they come out. We are thinking about getting this TV but I am really worried about it only being 60 HZ. Is there another TV that people can recommend for around the same price that is 120 HZ and also good for gaming, or is 60 HZ not a huge deal breaker? Thanks for any help.

Edit: I should have said we are looking for 2 65'' TV's and hoping to spend less then $2000 total.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sensitive to stuttering and I haven't noticed any issues when playing games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Awesome thank you. I wish it was labeled on the package on Amazon.

I don't know what he is smoking or what he expects but the Fifth Element looks absolutely fantastic in 4K. Type in google "Fifth Element 4K bluray review" and you will see it being met with unanimous praise by all the main review sites.

RedAssedApe

Banned

i have the older brother sb4551. i tried using hdmi arc but there was audio lag. currently using optical and have had no issues.

i guess it also depends if you care about hdmi cec functionality? i don't since i can control everything using my harmony remote and never use the roku remote.

i have the older brother sb4551. i tried using hdmi arc but there was audio lag. currently using optical and have had no issues.

i guess it also depends if you care about hdmi cec functionality? i don't since i can control everything using my harmony remote and never use the roku remote.

Can I still get DD 5.1 through fiber optic?

//ARCANUM

I have this soundbar system and had a ton of trouble with it. Basically, the TV's ARC won't properly pass through 5.1 to the soundbar. Audio comes out of all speakers but it's just a flattened mix with all audio from all speakers (ex: dialogue comes out of rear speakers). I had to go optical out of my PS4 and Xbox One into an optical switch into the sound bar. (I even did optical out of the tv too so I could get audio from the smart tv apps). The Nintendo Switch I did pass through from the soundbar back to the tv. It's a bit of a mess, but was the ONLY way I could get HDR and 5.1 to work. (The soundbar doesn't pass through HDR, and the TV's ARC doesn't properly pass through 5.1.)

Edit - to clarify: on PS4 if I used PCM I got what I described above. If I selected Dolby or DTS, I got terrible lag. The Xbox wouldn't even allow me to select anything other than stereo. Didn't even recognize the passthrough.

Bluray.com's review

Making that largely needless comparison to the Blu-ray anyway -- and the "Mastered in 4K" version at that -- does indeed show just how special a presentation this really is. While the 1080p disc is of reference quality for that format, the UHD destroys it in every way imaginable. Immediately, the striking difference in textural detail is obvious. Rocky formations and skin textures are practically smeary by comparison on the Blu-ray. The elevation in detail is substantial and the increase in color depth and saturation, even if the image is a bit darker overall, is obvious. On the slight downside, a few high contrast edge halos are visible, very minor print debris is exhibited at times, and effects shots show their age and limitations (though such is inherent to the elements). Nevertheless, this is easily a reference UHD and Sony continues to dominate the arena with its classic, shot-on-film re-releases that truly demonstrate UHD's full potential.

A lot of the videos on YouTube that are labeled hdr don't seem to actually display in hdr on the tv. It seems very random which ones actually activate hdr. I can tell because the hdr notification doesn't display in the corner. Any suggestions?

I have this soundbar system and had a ton of trouble with it. Basically, the TV's ARC won't properly pass through 5.1 to the soundbar. Audio comes out of all speakers but it's just a flattened mix with all audio from all speakers (ex: dialogue comes out of rear speakers). I had to go optical out of my PS4 and Xbox One into an optical switch into the sound bar. (I even did optical out of the tv too so I could get audio from the smart tv apps). The Nintendo Switch I did pass through from the soundbar back to the tv. It's a bit of a mess, but was the ONLY way I could get HDR and 5.1 to work. (The soundbar doesn't pass through HDR, and the TV's ARC doesn't properly pass through 5.1.)

Edit - to clarify: on PS4 if I used PCM I got what I described above. If I selected Dolby or DTS, I got terrible lag. The Xbox wouldn't even allow me to select anything other than stereo. Didn't even recognize the passthrough.

If I run optic out of the TV to the sound bar for all my game systems will it sound fine?

Has anyone traded in the PS4 to Gamestop? I am wondering what I need to do before bringing it to them in terms of backing up saves and/or wiping it? I have read do not wipe it, but what about my account?

I have, yeah. Absolutely wipe it. De-link your account and reformat the hard drive.

For save backups, if you have PS+ just ensure that everything uploaded to the cloud correctly. If you don't have PS+, you can back up the entire hard drive (Games and all) to an external.

ParityBit

I have, yeah. Absolutely wipe it. De-link your account and reformat the hard drive.

For save backups, if you have PS+ just ensure that everything uploaded to the cloud correctly. If you don't have PS+, you can back up the entire hard drive (Games and all) to an external.

If you wipe it, what do they do to verify that it works? I do have PS+ so anything special to do to back the saves up? I never really looked to see if they were local or in the cloud.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Thanks for the link. So there are UHD and 4K versions of movies? I think that's where I was getting confused before. So every UHD movie must support HDR but not the same for 4K Remasters?

The "mastered in 4K" version is the Blu-Ray.
It just means the source has been mastered in 4K before being put onto a 1080p BD.

The UHD version of course is the original 4K version.
And it does look good.

Bishop_83

Neo Member
Thanks for the link. So there are UHD and 4K versions of movies? I think that's where I was getting confused before. So every UHD movie must support HDR but not the same for 4K Remasters? .
The last "Fifth Element" released on a regular Blu-ray was mastered from a 4K source and downconverted to the 2K/1080p resolution of Blu-ray.

All UHD Blu-ray movies have HDR. UHD (Ultra High Definition) is just the name for the 3840x2160 / 4K Resolution.

Top Bottom