• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The audio delay for me was so bad I had to come up with a whole new setup.

Question: with local dimming, is anyone experiencing flickers/quick adjustments? I’ll notice sometimes when it cuts to a new shot, I’ll see the area of the display under a dark section dim as if it was on a light switch. It’s not subtle and kinda distracting. Is this just the nature of local dimming?

It doesn’t happen all the time, just randomly on specific shots (but I notice it in pretty much all video content 1080 and 4K HDR.

The local dimming in this set is good, but not great.

Rtings suggested if they could improve the algorithm it would make the TV an even better value.

"Unfortunately, it darkens the moving white highlight too much compared to the Sony X900E. It is easier to see on the smaller highlights, but the behavior is present event with the bigger one. The darkening is more obvious when the moving highlight crosses the limits of each dimming zone. It seems the algorithm is a bit too aggressive here."

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have opportunity to get Samsung KU7000 55" for $400 off Craigslist. Should I get that over this?

No. The KU7000 a bare bones TV with no local dimming and can't even offer judder free 24Hz content. That will make ANY TV worthless to me. But, I care more about 4K bluray playback than gaming.

TCL is a better TV with more features. Spend the extra and get the P605 or P607. The big name TVs (LG, Samsung, or Sony) don't become better TVs than the P607 until you have to spend over $1000.

There is simply no better TV for this price point than the P607 (605).

Having said that, if I had $1300 to blow and could choose between this TV and/or the Sony 900E, I would choose the 900E. If I had $2000 to blow I would get the Sony 930E.

Karish

No. The KU7000 a bare bones TV with no local dimming and can't even offer judder free 24Hz content. That will make ANY TV worthless to me. But, I care more about 4K bluray playback than gaming.

TCL is a better TV with more features. Spend the extra and get the P605 or P607. The big name TVs (LG, Samsung, or Sony) don't become better TVs than the P607 until you have to spend over $1000.

There is simply no better TV for this price point than the P607 (605).

Having said that, if I had $1300 to blow and could choose between this TV and/or the Sony 900E, I would choose the 900E. If I had $2000 to blow I would get the Sony 930E.

I don't really watch blu-rays -- surprised by your answer nonetheless. I thought KU7000 at $400 was a killer deal :/

SaintR

I'm sure the answer is no but does either the Netflix or Vudu app on the tv output in Dolby Atmos to a compatible receiver?

Still having trouble updating this thing for local dimming in game mode. Can't find anyone else with this issue. Should I wait for another big update, or should I return it for another model soon?

//ARCANUM

The local dimming in this set is good, but not great.

Rtings suggested if they could improve the algorithm it would make the TV an even better value.

"Unfortunately, it darkens the moving white highlight too much compared to the Sony X900E. It is easier to see on the smaller highlights, but the behavior is present event with the bigger one. The darkening is more obvious when the moving highlight crosses the limits of each dimming zone. It seems the algorithm is a bit too aggressive here."

ah cool, i can live with it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with my set. What are you guys running your local dimming at? Low, medium, or high? I'm currently rolling with medium.

//ARCANUM

I'm sure the answer is no but does either the Netflix or Vudu app on the tv output in Dolby Atmos to a compatible receiver?

Vudu does, I believe. When we rented KONG SKULL ISLAND the other night, it had the Dolby Atmos logo next to the dolby vision one. We don't have an atmos setup, but the logo was on the rental page. (Dobly vision worked great FWIW.)

Atmos will of course vary from movie to movie.

As for Netflix, I'm not sure.

RedAssedApe

Banned

afaik netflix only uses dolby digital plus

Still having trouble updating this thing for local dimming in game mode. Can't find anyone else with this issue. Should I wait for another big update, or should I return it for another model soon?

contact tcl support. they seem to be pretty quick at responding to inquiries

KageMaru

I thought Vudu supported Atmos, no?

Is there an option for a factory reset? I would try that first. Also have you tried both wifi and a cable connection?

ah cool, i can live with it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with my set. What are you guys running your local dimming at? Low, medium, or high? I'm currently rolling with medium.

I run mine on high. I read a suggestion to set it on medium so the local dimming is less aggressive but it hasn't bothered me yet on high.

I thought Vudu supported Atmos, no?

Vudu does support Atmos, but on the TV, wouldn't that have to go over HDMI-ARC in order to get sound from the TV to the receiver? If so, then it won't work since Atmos doesn't work over HDMI-ARC. You would need a box capable of outputting Atmos to your receiver to get Atmos from Vudu.

IcyStorm

Could I just buy the P605 and then buy a new remote from Roku (with a 3.5mm jack) and have it be the same thing as the P607? Or do the remotes that Roku sells only work with Roku's boxes?

//ARCANUM

Vudu does support Atmos, but on the TV, wouldn't that have to go over HDMI-ARC in order to get sound from the TV to the receiver? If so, then it won't work since Atmos doesn't work over HDMI-ARC. You would need a box capable of outputting Atmos to your receiver to get Atmos from Vudu.

Does Atmos work through optical? You could take optical out from the TV right?

SaintR

Does Atmos work through optical? You could take optical out from the TV right?

Just looking at the Netflix help site on Atmos it looks like it's currently only working on Xbox One,
Xbox One S, 2017 LG OLED TVs. And to get it to output from the Xbox it says to:Connect your Xbox to a Dolby Atmos capable audio system via HDMI.

So I guess Atmos does work through HDMI-Arc. Hopefully they'll be an update to get Netflix Atmos capability on the TV and allow us to output it as it seems VUDU has it in this set as some people are saying.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just looking at the Netflix help site on Atmos it looks like it's currently only working on Xbox One,
Xbox One S, 2017 LG OLED TVs. And to get it to output from the Xbox it says to:Connect your Xbox to a Dolby Atmos capable audio system via HDMI.

So I guess Atmos does work through HDMI-Arc. Hopefully they'll be an update to get Netflix Atmos capability on the TV and allow us to output it as it seems VUDU has it in this set as some people are saying.

Yeah, some TVS will output it via HDMI Arc.
I wish the 2016 LG OLEDs did. :(

RedAssedApe

Banned
oh. well poop.

That's kinda funny then that the TV app supports it when there's no way of outputting it from the TV apps lol.

even if the app supported it, i don't believe you can get DD+ let alone atmos over optical. the bandwidth requires hdmi iirc

K1ng P3n

Could I just buy the P605 and then buy a new remote from Roku (with a 3.5mm jack) and have it be the same thing as the P607? Or do the remotes that Roku sells only work with Roku's boxes?

If you can't buy the remote you could just use your phone for private listening through the Roku app

TB14

Tempted to upgrade from my plasma to one of these. Having an internet connection anywhere near capable of streaming 4K content would help. As it stands, 720p/1080p is a rare enough occurrence. Currently getting 1685 kbps down and 509 kbps up. Only ISP available, ~$60/m, 150GB cap... America!

KageMaru

Ahhh I see, thanks.

It would probably be easier to download the app on your phone and use that instead. I tried it out and it worked great.

Tempted to upgrade from my plasma to one of these. Having an internet connection anywhere near capable of streaming 4K content would help. As it stands, 720p/1080p is a rare enough occurrence. Currently getting 1685 kbps down and 509 kbps up. Only ISP available, ~$60/m, 150GB cap... America!

Wow that's horrible. It's disgusting how far behind America is with their internet infrastructure.

If you have a 1S or are planning to buy a 1X, you at least have a 4K bluray player.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't really watch blu-rays -- surprised by your answer nonetheless. I thought KU7000 at $400 was a killer deal :/

That TV sells for $700-$900 new. So based on it's original price, then yes it's a good deal. But even at $400 you're better off spending the extra $200 and getting a better TV since compared to other TVs it's not a good value IMO.

If the price of the 55P607 is too high for you then spend the $400 on the TCL S series, which is the model below the P series is an excellent choice also. It is also a MUCH better choice than the KU7000.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

Stay away from the KU7000

Karish

That TV sells for $700-$900 new. So based on it's original price, then yes it's a good deal. But even at $400 you're better off spending the extra $200 and getting a better TV since compared to other TVs it's not a good value IMO.

If the price of the 55P607 is too high for you then spend the $400 on the TCL S series, which is the model below the P series is an excellent choice also. It is also a MUCH better choice than the KU7000.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

Stay away from the KU7000

OK thank you very much I will stay away from it.

DirtyLarry

I posted in the thread the other day I was picking this TV up as a hold over to OLED's dropping in price as I needed a second TV for my house.

It arrived today. I got the 55P605 from Best Buy. It replaced a Vizio M65C1, so I did drop 10 inches, but the room I was in, 65" was a tad too big. Just a tad though.

I do have a dead pixel. One lone dead pixel. It is on the bottom to the right of center. Only noticeable on a dark screen, but it is no doubt there. I have not decided if it is enough for me to try and get a replacement, but it may be. The TV is on right now though and I do not see it. It really is only when it is a dark solid color screen, which in the grand scheme of things does not happen often. Still though, it kind of bothers me it is there.

In regards to the picture, it is right along with what I expected. On par with my Vizio, even a tad better. The real star, and new functionality for my household, is the HDR capability. So far I really like the HDR, and I do notice a pretty significant difference between the HDR content and non HDR content. I see why a lot of people may be confused with HDR, as it does make things more uniform is the best way I would describe it, but I personally believe I am one step closer to seeing the image as the developers intended. I no doubt see the difference, and if anything it kind of ruins non HDR content.

Checked out Forza Horizon 3 on my One S, it looked great.
I also was seeing if I could notice any input lag at all, and I could not. I did enable Game mode.

I am watching TV with my wife now but when she falls asleep I will fire up the PS4 Pro and check out Horizon ZD.

I do appreciate the fact the TV displays a nice big HDR icon on the top right to let you know it is enabled. I also thought it would drive me bonkers having to use the Roku App on my phone to get to the advanced settings, but I not only do not mind it, I now wish more devices had a corresponding app. Just makes shit easier overall.

So yeah, for what I expected and what I paid, I feel I have made a great purchase. I will definitely wait upwards of a year for OLED's to become the norm, drop down at least 50% from where they are currently, and take it from there. For now, I finally have HDR, and I have just as good, if not even a slightly better, picture than I had with the Vizio.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I posted in the thread the other day I was picking this TV up as a hold over to OLED's dropping in price as I needed a second TV for my house.

It arrived today. I got the 55P605 from Best Buy. It replaced a Vizio M65C1, so I did drop 10 inches, but the room I was in, 65" was a tad too big. Just a tad though.

I do have a dead pixel. One lone dead pixel. It is on the bottom to the right of center. Only noticeable on a dark screen, but it is no doubt there. I have not decided if it is enough for me to try and get a replacement, but it may be. The TV is on right now though and I do not see it. It really is only when it is a dark solid color screen, which in the grand scheme of things does not happen often. Still though, it kind of bothers me it is there.

In regards to the picture, it is right along with what I expected. On par with my Vizio, even a tad better. The real star, and new functionality for my household, is the HDR capability. So far I really like the HDR, and I do notice a pretty significant difference between the HDR content and non HDR content. I see why a lot of people may be confused with HDR, as it does make things more uniform is the best way I would describe it, but I personally believe I am one step closer to seeing the image as the developers intended. I no doubt see the difference, and if anything it kind of ruins non HDR content.

I also was seeing if I could notice any input lag at all, and I could not. I did enable Game mode.

I am watching TV with my wife now but when she falls asleep I will fire up the PS4 Pro and check out Horizon ZD.

I do appreciate the fact the TV displays a nice big HDR icon on the top right to let you know it is enabled. I also thought it would drive me bonkers having to use the Roku App on my phone to get to the advanced settings, but I not only do not mind it, I now wish more devices had a corresponding app. Just makes shit easier overall.

So yeah, for what I expected and what I paid, I feel I have made a great purchase. I will definitely wait upwards of a year for OLED's to become the norm, drop down at least 50% from where they are currently, and take it from there. For now, I finally have HDR, and I have just as good, if not even a slightly better, picture than I had with the Vizio.

Replace it. It will bug you until the end of time if you don't

Frizz Frazz

Neo Member

My second set(returned original) had the same problem of not getting the update. Support was somewhat helpful.

Go to https://tvupdate.roku.com/index?p=select and download the file to usb. You're going to have to do a factory reset now to get to that part for the code entry. But make sure you don't do the initial setup/connect to internet. After that go to setting and do the update, manually from the usb. Hope this helps.

SaintR

The roku website doesn't seem to sell the enhanced remote for the roku TV's on their website, at least not one with a power button on it. And the TCLUSA website doesn't seem to sell it either so I'm not sure where you'd be able to get It.

Amazon seems to sell 3rd party roku remotes with a power button on them but can't tell if they have a 3.5mm jack.

DirtyLarry

Replace it. It will bug you until the end of time if you don't
Yeah, you are right. Going to call later on today.

On another note, has anyone been able to add this as a TV on the XBox One OS? For when you use Cortana to turn XBox On and all of that? I tried adding it several times, both manually and let the One do it, and it never sent a successful mute to the TV. So I no longer can control my entertainment center with the One.

If you were able to add it as your TV on the One, if you can share the TV Code you used, it would be appreciated.

The roku website doesn't seem to sell the enhanced remote for the roku TV's on their website, at least not one with a power button on it. And the TCLUSA website doesn't seem to sell it either so I'm not sure where you'd be able to get It.

Amazon seems to sell 3rd party roku remotes with a power button on them but can't tell if they have a 3.5mm jack.

There were a few listings on eBay for like $25 a moth or so ago, but sellers must have figured out that there was quite a market for them and jacked up the price to about $100.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, you are right. Going to call later on today.

On another note, has anyone been able to add this as a TV on the XBox One OS? For when you use Cortana to turn XBox On and all of that? I tried adding it several times, both manually and let the One do it, and it never sent a successful mute to the TV. So I no longer can control my entertainment center with the One.

If you were able to add it as your TV on the One, if you can share the TV Code you used, it would be appreciated.

It would be one thing if you bought it used for a fraction of the new price, but since you got it new it needs to be pristine.

See if you can fix the dead pixel first though. There are tons of guides.

SaintR

There were a few listings on eBay for like $25 a moth or so ago, but sellers must have figured out that there was quite a market for them and jacked up the price to about $100.

Good lord a $100 bucks! What would happen if let's say this remote falls and breaks? There must be a way to order a replacement direct from TCL despite it not showing on the website

Stiler

I exchanged mine because of DSE and they had no problems doing it, sent out a delivery and picked up the one I was returning no problem and the one I got in exchange had a much cleaner picture with no where near as dark corners as before.

Definitely should try it, can't hurt really.

Good lord a $100 bucks! What would happen if let's say this remote falls and breaks? There must be a way to order a replacement direct from TCL despite it not showing on the website

Up to $109 when I looked a few minutes ago. Newegg and Walmart both have listings for it for under $30 but both are out of stock. Not available on Amazon either. I would imagine TCL sells them, but I wonder of when you contact them they would ask for the serial # of your tv and then not sell you the 607 remote because the serial # is attached to a 605?

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's really not that bad. If you look for. Im sure TCL will improve it with another update

Similar to screen issues its going to depend on how sensitive you are. Personally I find it pretty noticeable when watching something dialogue heavy. If I a/b between hdmi arc and optical I can definitely hear a delay in the former.

For example when navigating the PS4 UI, the tones that play when you move around the tiles. On HDMI Arc sometimes the tones don't play at all or you only hear the the faint tail end of the tone. Its most noticeable when you go from playing no sound.

I'm not sure if its the tv passthrough or my sound bar as others have reported the issue on other TVs. I noticed that there is no delay when I set the PS4 to use LPCM instead of bitstream dolby or bitstream dts. So that's what has me thinking its the soundbar since the later would mean that the soundbar is doing some decoding correct?

I'm not so sure a TCL firmware would do anything.

JG5253

I believe HDMI-ARC sends out DD+ signal which is capable of sending Dolby Atmos out as well

edit: Found the thread on avsforoum http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...olby-digital-plus-dd-atmos-over-hdmi-arc.html

kn1ves24

Sorry I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times before but I'm hoping a few of you will humor it be asked again.

Short story: The allure of a decent 4K/HDR set for under 700 USD has got me itching to buy.

I currently own a 55" Samsung H7150 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2014-led-tv-h7150-series

I really have no complaints with this TV and everything still works fine. I don't use the 3D functionality at all. I also do not use the "smart" functionality, I have separate devices for streaming/casting. My only problem with this TV is the resolution which is 1080p and obviously no HDR.

My question I have for everyone, is the TCL a marked improvement over my current TV? I basically use this TV exclusively for gaming with the occasional streaming of movies/tv shows. I have a PS4 Pro and a gaming PC capable of running games at 4K. I'm basically asking if I buy the TCL does it do a good enough job with 4K gaming that I'll feel justified in the purchase.

And just so I am clear the P605 is identical to the P607 except for the remote, correct?

My second set(returned original) had the same problem of not getting the update. Support was somewhat helpful.

Go to https://tvupdate.roku.com/index?p=select and download the file to usb. You're going to have to do a factory reset now to get to that part for the code entry. But make sure you don't do the initial setup/connect to internet. After that go to setting and do the update, manually from the usb. Hope this helps.

That did the trick. Thanks for the help! Now I can finally enjoy game mode.

Just another quick question, has anyone been able to get that PS4 PDP Universal Remote to work on this thing? I've tried several RCA codes (what TCL was named before they rebranded themselves) but I haven't been able to get any luck connecting it.

JG5253

Sorry I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times before but I'm hoping a few of you will humor it be asked again.

Short story: The allure of a decent 4K/HDR set for under 700 USD has got me itching to buy.

I currently own a 55" Samsung H7150 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2014-led-tv-h7150-series

I really have no complaints with this TV and everything still works fine. I don't use the 3D functionality at all. I also do not use the "smart" functionality, I have separate devices for streaming/casting. My only problem with this TV is the resolution which is 1080p and obviously no HDR.

My question I have for everyone, is the TCL a marked improvement over my current TV? I basically use this TV exclusively for gaming with the occasional streaming of movies/tv shows. I have a PS4 Pro and a gaming PC capable of running games at 4K. I'm basically asking if I buy the TCL does it do a good enough job with 4K gaming that I'll feel justified in the purchase.

And just so I am clear the P605 is identical to the P607 except for the remote, correct?

Honestly in your case and use I think it would be worth it. The PQ is great for movie/Tv shows and has one of the best if not the best input lag for HDR gaming and regular gaming. Roku Smart TV is great and my girlfriend loves it because its easy to use instead of messing with the PS4. This past weekend Planet Earth 4k HDR through Plex and it honestly wowed me. As more games adapt HDR. I think it will be easily justified. You're correct. The only difference is the remote and I believe the bezel color

DirtyLarry

It would be one thing if you bought it used for a fraction of the new price, but since you got it new it needs to be pristine.

See if you can fix the dead pixel first though. There are tons of guides.
I was actually coming to post as now I am wondering if it is perhaps a stuck pixel, as it is way, way less prominent in HDR (which I see as a good thing), so thanks for the suggestion, I am going to look into a guide.

I exchanged mine because of DSE and they had no problems doing it, sent out a delivery and picked up the one I was returning no problem and the one I got in exchange had a much cleaner picture with no where near as dark corners as before.

Definitely should try it, can't hurt really.
This is very good to know. Thank you. Going to see if it is perhaps a stuck pixel first, as I am starting to think it may be, but if not think I am going to take this route Vizio did the same thing for me and it was a great service. Was really impressed and they waited to make sure the replacement was worth it.

EDIT - Found multiple guides for stuck pixels. Went with two options. The JScreenFix and the manually pressing/tapping on it did not fix it. I do believe it is officially a Dead Pixel. Going to call tomorrow and see what is up. It really sucks as everything else is pretty damn great about this set. My wife claims she cannot even see the dead pixel so is wondering why I am even bothering, but damn it I know it is there. Even if I cannot see it most of the time, if the screen is black or dark I see it right away since I know where it is. The only positive is I know these companies do not send out defective sets as a replacement, so I guess it is a win win.

Also I played some Wipeout Omega Collection before. Damn it looked fantastic. So incredibly happy with this purchase, especially with the price.

? Is the trailer in 4k or something? It says it doesn't release til 4/22.

Also, is this not getting a 4K UHD Blu Ray release? Only digital?

The movie launched today on VUDU they have digital rights to the Dolby Vision version and it looks incredible.

Digital release 8/8 Vudu Dolby vision exclusive
Physical release 8/22 UHD blu ray with HDR10

DeeBatch

I have opportunity to get Samsung KU7000 55" for $400 off Craigslist. Should I get that over this?

KU7000 is good it also has WCG and does HDR. TCL wins with local dimming and brightness of hdr. TCL is fantastic budget set , KU7000 can't do judder free 24p playback real deal breker.

RedAssedApe

Banned
For those that have soundbar lag with hdmi arc, do you have it on the roku tv apps?

Don't seem to have the noticeable lag on the roku streaming apps compared to audio from the PS4. Does that mean the issue is more likely either the PS4 and/or tv and probably not the soundbar?

Top Bottom