• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Red-Town

What do you guys think of the Sony XBR A1E 65"? Came close to getting it today and it comes with a free PS4 pro (I already own one)

RedAssedApe

Banned
This has more to do with Netflix, I've watched 3 Dolby Vision movies on VUDU and they look incredible. While everything I've watched on Netflix looks like trash.

Yup this is what I've read as well. Doesn't sound like a tv issue. Seems to vary by content as well.

I've seen these shows recommended:

Meridian, Chef's Table, and season 2 of Daredevil

Klocker

This has more to do with Netflix, I've watched 3 Dolby Vision movies on VUDU and they look incredible. While everything I've watched on Netflix looks like trash.

Oh that's goof to hear sucks for my Netflix stuff but I was concerned I was gonna be disappointed with TV in general on DV. Going to try a vudu DV soon.

HDR on Amazon LeMans show looks amazing but the episodic shows look flat imo.

Hoping games in HDR are not crushed

Edit.. yea Meridian looked pretty good but was brighter and looked better on YouTube than on Netflix which again was too dark

Oh that's goof to hear sucks for my Netflix stuff but I was concerned I was gonna be disappointed with TV in general on DV. Going to try a vudu DV soon.

Edit.. yea Meridian looked pretty good but was brighter and looked better on YouTube than on Netflix which again was too dark

Ya meridian looked great on YouTube and darker on Netflix. Vudu UHD cost 10$ to rent which is expensive. I purchased guardians of the galaxy 2 yesterday for 25$ on vudu and its the most impressive UHD movie I've watched. Kong skull island also was great.

KageMaru

Certain games are better than others. Turning on HDR in infamous produces some crushed blacks for example. I don't think it's a problem with any set since I've read complaints from people on other TV sets.

Certain games are better than others. Turning on HDR in infamous produces some crushed blacks for example. I don't think it's a problem with any set since I've read complaints from people on other TV sets.

Horizons HDR is implemented great, while the last guardian I thought I was gonna go blind when I stepped outside. HDR is a new thing and will take a bit for developers to grasp it and make it effective.

KageMaru

Horizons HDR is implemented great, while the last guardian I thought I was gonna go blind when I stepped outside. HDR is a new thing and will take a bit for developers to grasp it and make it effective.

Yeah outside of Resogun, Horizon has one of the best implementations of HDR. I heard Forza Horizon 3 is also really good, so I can't wait for the 1X to come out to try that. Shame MS never added HDR to the PC version.

HDR on the PC is weird anyways. I thought you had to have the HDR switch turned on in the display settings but both RE7 and Shadow Warrior 2 display HDR just fine without the toggle switch turned on. I can't get HDR to work right in Mass Effect Andromeda to save my life.

Sugarmonkey

GUYS. I've had this tv for about 2 weeks and have been super happy with HDR content on my slim and through the tv app streaming. I just traded in my slim for a Pro and oh.my.god. Horizon Zero Dawn looks so fucking good it's blowing my mind. So happy I got this TV. 600+280 for the slim trade in for 4K HDR comfy couch content? Amazing.

For the life of me I can't get my PS4Pro to output on HDMI 2.0, I can get 4k display on 1.4 but that's it. Losing my mind trying to figure it out! Really want to experience Horizon in HDR. Any tips? I've tried playing with the settings all night.

RedAssedApe

Banned
For the life of me I can't get my PS4Pro to output on HDMI 2.0, I can get 4k display on 1.4 but that's it. Losing my mind trying to figure it out! Really want to experience Horizon in HDR. Any tips? I've tried playing with the settings all night.

Set the hdmi input on the tv to 2.0 and everything else on the PS4 settings to auto. Doesn't horizon also have a hdr toggle in game?

thatJohann

are you guys setting up the PS4 Pro with every display setting in Auto in RGB Range etc? what about the TV? what settings do I need to fiddle with to ensure True HDR 10 and 4K etc.

Set the hdmi input on the tv to 2.0 and everything else on the PS4 settings to auto. Doesn't horizon also have a hdr toggle in game?

Once I set the TV to HDMI 2.0 the screen image on the PS4 Pro disappears, no image will show and the tv says no input until I switch it back to HDMI 1.4. I've tried with HDCP on and off, all settings to automatic, and also set it to 4K YUV setting. PS4 won't let me select the option to set HDR on.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Once I set the TV to HDMI 2.0 the screen image on the PS4 Pro disappears, no image will show and the tv says no input until I switch it back to HDMI 1.4. I've tried with HDCP on and off, all settings to automatic, and also set it to 4K YUV setting. PS4 won't let me select the option to set HDR on.

is it updated to the latest firmware?

RedAssedApe

Banned
PS4Pro is updated to 4.73 firmware and the TV updated when I hooked it up tonight but I'm not sure if it's the latest firmware or what is the latest firmware.

just meant the ps4 pro itself. everything sounds fine. assuming you used the hdmi cable that came with the pro? try the other hdmi ports?

It's not the HDMI cable that came with the Pro but one that I bought off the Amazon rated for this sort of thing. Maybe the cable is poor.

DirtyLarry

PS4Pro is updated to 4.73 firmware and the TV updated when I hooked it up tonight but I'm not sure if it's the latest firmware or what is the latest firmware.
Sounds like you may need a new HDMI Cable. I never shared this part of my setup story as it did not seem terribly relevant (and it was partially my fault), but when I first set everything up, neither my One S or PS4 were displaying on the TV. I thought I had a faulty receiver even though it supports everything. Thought I even got a bum TV. After about an hour of almost losing my shit I did some real Googling and I found a thread on AVS forums and one person who had the same exact issues as me said ultimately he had to use a new cable. Lo and behold I swapped out the cable for a new one (I happened to have some leftover from an Amazon order) and they both worked right away and I have been enjoying HDR ever since. If you have one laying around and have not tried it, you have nothing to lose. But for me, it was as simple as a new cable fixed the issue.

In other news and the reason I came to the thread, just got off the phone with their support and I immediately followed the call up with an email with my Case # and 3 images of the TV as they requested, all showing the dead pixel. I was told it would take anywhere from 7-10 business days to hear a response, but hopefully I hear back sooner. Fingers crossed and wish me luck.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What do you guys think of the Sony XBR A1E 65"? Came close to getting it today and it comes with a free PS4 pro (I already own one)

I'm curious why you're coming to a thread devoted to a $600 TV asking about $3000+ TV. I doubt anyone posting/reading in this thread would have ever considered the A1E as an option.

Having said that, according to the reviews A1E is the cream of the crop as far as Sony OLEDs go, but the LG C7 is rated better on rtings.com

If you can afford it, I see no reason to not get the A1E or LG C7.

I would without hesitation if I had the dollars.

Sounds like a HDMI cable issue, use the one that came with the pro

I'm not sure if I have the one that came with the Pro anymore. I have at least 4 different HDMI cables laying around I can try with and do some testing.

Thanks everyone for the help! Going to try again tonight after work.

DirtyLarry

Welp, looks like I am not getting a replacement from TCL.
e71c.jpg

I am more than likely just going to live with it. I will explore what it means to get a new one from Best Buy, but if it means I need to return it myself, it is a no go on my end. For starters I do not have a car big enough myself to return it. Also if I have to go through Best Buy it is not guaranteed I will get a better replacement, in fact it could be worse, and then I am just possibly in this neverending cycle of trying to get a good set.

Well that sucks.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
e71c.jpg

I am more than likely just going to live with it. I will explore what it means to get a new one from Best Buy, but if it means I need to return it myself, it is a no go on my end. For starters I do not have a car big enough myself to return it. Also if I have to go through Best Buy it is not guaranteed I will get a better replacement, in fact it could be worse, and then I am just possibly in this neverending cycle of trying to get a good set.

Well that sucks.

Are you crazy, bring the tv back and get a replacement. I couldn't live with a dead pixel.

Take a cab if you have too.

FaintDeftone

I'm seriously considering buying this TV. I've been doing a lot of research on a 4K upgrade for my 40'' Samsung 1080p TV and this seems to be a great value. I was eyeballing the Sony 49'' X900E but I didn't really want to spend $1200 on it.

I'll swing by Best Buy tonight and look at the display model. If I'm happy with what I see then I may grab it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
e71c.jpg

Well that sucks.

You really seriously have no means to return it? Do none of your friends have a truck? I find it hard to believe that it's that much of a hassle to repackage it and exchange it.

Cut the crap and find a way to exchange it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Does this TV have a black level/RGB setting (i.e. limited/full)? I feel like the blacks might be getting crushed. Do those type of settings apple to both SDR and HDR?

Not quite sure if its just the HDR when streaming or what since I know people have complained about Netflix DV being too dark. Was watching Manchester by the Sea last night on Amazon Prime using HDR10 on Roku app and blacks were super black and it was hard to make out any shadow detail. Like the bar scene near the beginning was more like he was in a club than a bar. SDR version on the PS4 app didn't have those issues albeit that thing is only 1080p/SDR.

e71c.jpg

Well that sucks.

Wait...how'd you get it home in the first place if you didn't have a car that fit? Was it a bb.com home delivery order? If so, if you call them for an exchange they'll send over someone to do the pickup and swap for you. Not sure if they offer that for items purchased in a B&M store but wouldn't hurt to ask either. I mean a Geek Squad truck would probably be able to do something like that?

e71c.jpg

Well that sucks.

Just call best buy dude. It's not hard. they will offer you a replacement no questions asked. If for some reason they do ask tell them the screen randomly turns off or something. But really they won't ask until they are picking up your old tv. Then tell them you need it delivered and they will schedule a delivery for you.

I'm seriously considering buying this TV. I've been doing a lot of research on a 4K upgrade for my 40'' Samsung 1080p TV and this seems to be a great value. I was eyeballing the Sony 49'' X900E but I didn't really want to spend $1200 on it.

I'll swing by Best Buy tonight and look at the display model. If I'm happy with what I see then I may grab it.

My bestbuy had no content running on the TCL when I stopped by my bestbuy. Just some demo mode that displayed the stuff the TV offers. They also had it way up high, it wasn't a good display for the TV.

e71c.jpg

Well that sucks.

Have you tried massaging the dead pixel away with your finger? I've been able to get rid of dead pixels on a few LCDs with this method.

vg260

Does this TV allow you instantly switch between inputs or do you have to navigate the Roku on-screen menu to do so?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Does this TV allow you instantly switch between inputs or do you have to navigate the Roku on-screen menu to do so?

if you have a universal remote you can program it to do it. i don't think the roku remotes have an input change button though although i only have the 605 IR remote.

you have to go back to the roku home screen and select the input. at least you can pin the input tile to the top.

As far as I can tell you have to use the roku menu to change inputs. It's pretty fast though. There are 4 buttons on the remote for Netflix, Amazon, HBO now and sling that can be used to switch to said app but I always forget that the buttons are there.

vg260

if you have a universal remote you can program it to do it. i don't think the roku remotes have an input change button though although i only have the 605 IR remote.

you have to go back to the roku home screen and select the input. at least you can pin the input tile to the top.

Ok thanks. So, you could program inputs to specific buttons on a Logitech Harmony IR remote? That's what I would want to do.

KageMaru

So seeing as how rtings still hasn't changed the input lag in the review, you guys think it's safe to say the lag isn't effected by the last update?

My bestbuy had no content running on the TCL when I stopped by my bestbuy. Just some demo mode that displayed the stuff the TV offers. They also had it way up high, it wasn't a good display for the TV.

My best buy didn't even hold them in the store. You had to order them and wait a few days for pickup.

I'm not sure if I have the one that came with the Pro anymore. I have at least 4 different HDMI cables laying around I can try with and do some testing.

Thanks everyone for the help! Going to try again tonight after work.

First different HDMI cable I tried worked! The cable I was using is only 3 weeks old from Amazon too. Definitely returning it back to them now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Red-Town

I'm curious why you're coming to a thread devoted to a $600 TV asking about $3000+ TV. I doubt anyone posting/reading in this thread would have ever considered the A1E as an option.

Having said that, according to the reviews A1E is the cream of the crop as far as Sony OLEDs go, but the LG C7 is rated better on rtings.com

If you can afford it, I see no reason to not get the A1E or LG C7.

I would without hesitation if I had the dollars.

Sorry, didn't know where else to ask. Just curious as I was thinking of getting the TCL but I read people complaining about the viewing angle.

kn1ves24

Well I ordered one from Best Buy, I'll be able to pick it up early next week. Are people here basically following the tuning guide from rtings? Mainly going to play games on this TV with the occasional movie. Waiting to start Horizon until I get this set up.

FaintDeftone

So I decided to grab the TV today at Best Buy. After testing with the PS4 Pro, I'm extremely happy with the picture quality. Horizon looks nuts in 4K HDR.

Here's my problem. Each corner of the TV has a good amount of light bleed. I fiddled with the settings and couldn't really correct it. I was playing Hellblade and the light bleed is pretty distracting. Any way to help this or is it just a result of the type of screen it has?

e71c.jpg

Well that sucks.

Get an Uber to take you and the TV to Best Buy

KageMaru

Well I ordered one from Best Buy, I'll be able to pick it up early next week. Are people here basically following the tuning guide from rtings? Mainly going to play games on this TV with the occasional movie. Waiting to start Horizon until I get this set up.

I used rtings suggested settings for HDR and mostly did the same for SDR. Only thing I changed was moving the colors down from 50 to 45 because they looked too saturated at the default setting. Turned off noise reduction, left gamma at 2.2, and didn't mess with any of the color or white balance yet in the advanced options on the Roku app.

So I decided to grab the TV today at Best Buy. After testing with the PS4 Pro, I'm extremely happy with the picture quality. Horizon looks nuts in 4K HDR.

Here's my problem. Each corner of the TV has a good amount of light bleed. I fiddled with the settings and couldn't really correct it. I was playing Hellblade and the light bleed is pretty distracting. Any way to help this or is it just a result of the type of screen it has?

Do you have local dimming on?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sorry, didn't know where else to ask. Just curious as I was thinking of getting the TCL but I read people complaining about the viewing angle.
If you can afford an A1E then by all means get that.

It's just odd seeing someone stuck between buying a $600 TV and a $2000+ TV.

An OLED TV is the ultimate in quality, BUT I am hesitant to believe it will ever go down significantly in cost as the cost advantages in LED are great.

Plus I have read (no links ATM) about other TV technologies being developed that offer near OLED picture quality at much less cost.

That's one of the reasons I bought this TV is because I know it will tide me over until I can afford a more premium TV.

FaintDeftone

Not after the most recent firmware update.

I'll have to play around with it some more when I get home. So local dimming will definitely cause this? I love the TV so far but the light bleed is definitely an issue for me right now. It took me out of the experience a bit while playing Hellblade.

Top Bottom