• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

RedAssedApe

Banned
While it's not 1k+ nits like many HDR fans would like it's comparable to a lot of other HDR tv's, there aren't a ton that get over 1k nits.

Even the A1E doesn't get over 700 nits brightness and the color gamut is comparable to the X930E, which is a $1,800 tv.

Guys I own this TV. lol

I'm talking about the people who are asking about whether they should buy this or go cheaper (i.e. S series) which don't have local dimming, don't have wide color gamut, edge lit, and have like half the nits that this TV has.

Ashby

Yea and that was without fald in game mode... that's what I've been noticing it's not really necessary for games, the contrast is great. Will withhold final judgment when I see an hdr game.

But man can not wait to see this thing with XOX and HDR 4k games.

No PS4?

Klocker

Nada. Almost bought a Pro or an S after I got this TV but the upgrade even for sdr 1080p games was substantial from my Visio E series that I decided to wait.

By the way the E series looks phenomenal for movies at 1080p and streaming and even cable TV but this thing destroys it in games even on regular xbox

vg260

Yea and that was without fald in game mode... that's what I've been noticing it's not really necessary for games, the contrast is great. Will withhold final judgment when I see an hdr game.

But man can not wait to see this thing with XOX and HDR 4k games.

If you haven't seen it already, Gamersyde has a Forza 7 4K/HDR 60fps video. You can put it on a USB drive and watch it directly with HDR enabled.

Klocker

If you haven't seen it already, Gamersyde has a Forza 7 4K/HDR 60fps video. You can put it on a USB drive and watch it directly with HDR enabled.

Ya, it's on a USB stick in my TV as we speak, forgot about that, need to have another look and play with FALD settings, thx.

not sure if it's the same as game rendered direct HDR?

vg260

Ya, it's on a USB stick in my TV as we speak, forgot about that, need to have another look and play with FALD settings, thx.

not sure if it's the same as game rendered direct HDR?

Not sure. You can also try 4k/HDR video on the YouTube app, and it seems like it recognizes HDR. Again, not sure how the source info is interpreted

i own this tv. :p

i was commenting on the conversation above

Oh, sorry. Seemed like you were going to be one of those people who say were wasting our money buying this tv. My bad.

How does it look from 9ft away?

It looks fantastic as long as your centered. I SIT about that far from the screen when I'm watching YouTube or movies but I tend to move in closer when I'm gaming just because I want to take advantage of all that high resolution, hdr goodness.

No. It's not.

If you want a bonafide better TV, the only real option is a Sony X900E, whichs costs over $600 more! EDIT: Just saw you say $900!!! Get that NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're not willing to spend that much then this TV is the better option than pretty much anything else.

It basically goes like this:

If you've got less than a $1000 or less to spend, get a P605/607. Save the $400.
If you've got $1500 or less get the X900E
If you've got $2000 or less get the X930E
Beyond that get an LG or Sony OLED.1

The above applies to 55" If you want a 65" you had better be prepared to spend at least an extra $500.

I would still wait until the 605 is in Stock instead of getting the X800D. The X900E is a much better TV with great peak brightness, wide color gamut, and good input lag. The main concern I'd have with the TV is the use of Android as the OS. The link below is full of people who have the X900E, so you should be able to get a good idea from the posts there:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1403745

Thank you! I'm getting the x900e :)

JaggedSac

No. It's not.

If you want a bonafide better TV, the only real option is a Sony X900E, whichs costs over $600 more! EDIT: Just saw you say $900!!! Get that NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're not willing to spend that much then this TV is the better option than pretty much anything else.

It basically goes like this:

If you've got less than a $1000 or less to spend, get a P605/607. Save the $400.
If you've got $1500 or less get the X900E
If you've got $2000 or less get the X930E
Beyond that get an LG or Sony OLED.1

The above applies to 55" If you want a 65" you had better be prepared to spend at least an extra $500.

Vizio P 55 is pretty good at $900, especially if the TV will be used for more than gaming.

KageMaru

Speaking of PS4 HDR games, that is a *way* shorter list than I was expecting. Kinda bummed now!

Yeah other than Horizon Zero Dawn, Resogun, BF1, Wipeout, and the Uncharted games, the rest of the HDR implementations have been meh to just OK. It's even worse on the PC where it's horribly inconsistent and even when it works, I'm not sure it works right. I'm hoping support is more widespread once the 1X is out. Most of the games shown at MS' conference seemed to support HDR.

JaggedSac

Yeah other than Horizon Zero Dawn, Resogun, BF1, Wipeout, and the Uncharted games, the rest of the HDR implementations have been meh to just OK. It's even worse on the PC where it's horribly inconsistent and even when it works, I'm not sure it works right. I'm hoping support is more widespread once the 1X is out. Most of the games shown at MS' conference seemed to support HDR.

Can't wait to play Gears and Halo in hdr.

Ashby

I bought The Last Guardian at launch and have been meaning to actually boot it up so seeing it's one of the few games that has HDR support makes me want to get around to that. Then again maybe just wait for when I get a PS4 Pro for that since it's supposed to have much better performance there.

I bought The Last Guardian at launch and have been meaning to actually boot it up so seeing it's one of the few games that has HDR support makes me want to get around to that. Then again maybe just wait for when I get a PS4 Pro for that since it's supposed to have much better performance there.

I played it on a pro and thought it had pretty bad performance sooo....

vg260

The Rtings review is really good in breaking down the pros and cons of this set. If you have dealbreakers, that's a good site to use for reference.

I'm pretty pleased with this set. I was going to wait until some time next year or so to replace my aging DLP, but this TV was just dead on the sweet spot of what I was looking for. This is a big step up in the areas I wanted coming from way older tech. If you're coming from a high-end LED 1080p screen, or don't have speakers or a soundbar, you may not be super impressed, but it feels like a real solid value for gaming when the next best step ups are considerably more and actually have higher input lag.

Honestly, I'm not really seeing anything in HDR that's game-changing for me. I probably couldn't tell you which movies/games/videos were in HDR if I didn't know prior. I feel like the HDR thing is a bit oversold, honestly, but hopefully I find some content that proves me wrong. I wish there was an enable/disable toggle so you could easily compare, but I guess it's a limitation of the source device/material. I probably wouldn't recommend rushing out to buy this just an HDR set if that's the only improvement over your current one, but your opinion may vary.

I can notice the clouding issue/grey uniformity not being great. I tended to notice it on the skyline of some racing games when the screen pans and the sky should look uniform, but it was hardly a deal breaker for me. I don't think I've ever had a TV without some some of quirk or con.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The Rtings review is really good in breaking down the pros and cons of this set. If you have dealbreakers, that's a good site to use for reference.

I'm pretty pleased with this set. I was going to wait until some time next year or so to replace my aging DLP, but this TV was just dead on the sweet spot of what I was looking for. This is a big step up in the areas I wanted coming from way older tech. If you're coming from a high-end LED 1080p screen, or don't have speakers or a soundbar, you may not be super impressed, but it feels like a real solid value for gaming when the next best step ups are considerably more and actually have higher input lag.

Honestly, I'm not really seeing anything in HDR that's game-changing for me. I probably couldn't tell you which movies/games/videos were in HDR if I didn't know prior. I feel like the HDR thing is a bit oversold, honestly, but hopefully I find some content that proves me wrong. I wish there was an enable/disable toggle so you could easily compare, but I guess it's a limitation of the source device/material. I probably wouldn't recommend rushing out to buy this just an HDR set if that's the only improvement over your current one, but your opinion may vary.

I can notice the clouding issue/grey uniformity not being great. I tended to notice it on the skyline of some racing games when the screen pans and the sky should look uniform, but it was hardly a deal breaker for me. I don't think I've ever had a TV without some some of quirk or con.

some games have an HDR on/off toggle (naughty dog games and horizon come to mind). or you could technically just turn off HDR in your console settings if you want to a/b something.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thank you both! Unfortunately they did not have the 605 in stock. I did not buy the Samsung either. I did find the Sony X800D for $600 at frys. I'm also considering the newer X900E at $900. Any thoughts on those? Thanks in advance!

where did you find it for $900? Is it the 55" or 49"?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

HDR is nice, but I don't really think it makes or breaks games right now.

Personally I feel that Deus Ex Mankind Divided looks worse with HDR.

vg260

some games have an HDR on/off toggle (naughty dog games and horizon come to mind). or you could technically just turn off HDR in your console settings if you want to a/b something.

I don't have those, but Infamous does have an on/off setting in options. I messed with it a bit, but that was before I tweaked the TV settings. The hardest part for me is knowing if the settings I chose are maximizing the effect. I can never really tell how the black levels are supposed to look, and when they are "crushed".

I'm happier with the colors in general than I thought I would be with an LCD, so HDR is not a big deal for me.

I don't have those, but Infamous does have an on/off setting in options. I messed with it a bit, but that was before I tweaked the TV settings. The hardest part for me is knowing if the settings I chose are maximizing the effect. I can never really tell how the black levels are supposed to look, and when they are "crushed".

I'm happier with the colors in general than I thought I would be with an LCD, so HDR is not a big deal for me.

Crushed blacks means that they have noticeable layers. Think of of jawbreaker, except shadows instead of candy lol. They can also be described as halos. Horizon is the game for hdr. If you go on netflix and search for hdr then have some cool stuff on there. I recommend hibana spark. It's set in Japan and the colors are fucking insane. I didn't like the show very much but I kept watching just to see more of Japan. There's also the 4k channel on youtube. I believe all of there videos are 4k, hdr.

HDR in games has been pretty hit or miss for me. I don't notice it at all in knack 2.

Edit: when it comes to settings for hdr just keep the backlight turned up to 100. Outside of that I dont have much advice since I havnt figured it out myself.

KageMaru

Can't wait to play Gears and Halo in hdr.

I knew Halo was getting a 4K update but I haven't seen anything about it receiving HDR support as well. That game should be a great showcase for the technology if true.

After spending a lot of time swapping in and out of HDR, I'm a huge fan. Being able to toggle back and forth in my games and I have been able to see the benefits. Even with games that don't have a toggle in game, I switched HDR on and off in the PS4 settings to see the difference. You start to get used to HDR to the extent that SDR looks off and it takes a second for your eyes to adjust.

Edit:

Crushed blacks means that they have noticeable layers. Think of of jawbreaker, except shadows instead of candy lol. They can also be described as halos. Horizon is the game for hdr. If you go on netflix and search for hdr then have some cool stuff on there. I recommend hibana spark. It's set in Japan and the colors are fucking insane. I didn't like the show very much but I kept watching just to see more of Japan. There's also the 4k channel on youtube. I believe all of there videos are 4k, hdr.

HDR in games has been pretty hit or miss for me. I don't notice it at all in knack 2.

Edit: when it comes to settings for hdr just keep the backlight turned up to 100. Outside of that I dont have much advice since I havnt figured it out myself.

Yeah Horizon is one of the best HDR games out there. Infamous has a pretty poor implementation, causing crushed blacks.

Klocker

4k HDR channel YouTube has a Last of Us HDR v SDR comparison (in HDR) and it is stark but I find it hard to believe that the SDR side would look that bad, washed out on SDR mode of TV.

I'm guessing it is due to SDR side being displayed in HDR mode?

KageMaru

4k HDR channel YouTube has a Last of Us HDR v SDR comparison (in HDR) and it is stark but I find it hard to believe that the SDR side would look that bad, washed out on SDR mode of TV.

I'm guessing it is due to SDR side being displayed in HDR mode?

Yeah that's why it looks so bad. I honestly don't know why they did the comparison since I'm sure they knew it wouldn't come out well. The only real way someone can see a comparison done right is by having two screens side by side.

HDR is new and some games do it right and some do it wrong. Mass effect and Lost Legacy look amazing in HDR, while games like last guardian and infamous are terrible. Also played some battlefield 1 tonight to test out the HDR and it also looks great. Frostbite engine seems like the have HDR down.

Spasm

PSA, firmware version 4135 is once again available via live update.

Even though I did the USB method, checking for updates still downloaded something, but then said I was already up to date; 7.7.0 build 4135-30.

Edit:
Is this the FALD-capable Game mode update?!
Yes. The second one, in fact. The first one was also pulled (4111-50), but never reappeared, like this one has.

Ashby

Even though I did the USB method, checking for updates still downloaded something, but then said I was already up to date; 7.7.0 build 4135-30.

Is this the FALD-capable Game mode update?!

Spasm

someone on avs was complaining that its not lol...but i'm not sure. thats the version i'm on but i installed it when it was released weeks ago
Oh this would suck, lol. I wonder if he's looking for the setting in anything but the HDMI inputs. It only shows up there.

KageMaru

Edit:

Yes. The second one, in fact. The first one was also pulled (4111-50), but never reappeared, like this one has.

Wonder what's been corrected/fixed from the initial release. Tempted to do a factory reset on my TV to receive this update.

Can someone confirm this update has FALD enabled in game mode?

Just to confirm the 55P605 is the same as the 607 just with a different remote?

Yup and you get most of the same features by using the Roku app on your phone.

Top Bottom