• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey guys, I've been thinking about maybe returning this TV and getting the LG 43UD79-B monitor instead. It's a 43" monitor with an IPS screen and should have better viewing angles and color than the TCL, albeit without HDR. Less input lag too and the built in speakers are supposed to be awesome.

Does anyone think it's worth just keeping the TV or should I go for this? HDR doesn't really impress me and the smaller size would actually work better in my setup.

Please tell me this is a joke post.

Returning the TCL for a vastly inferior LG would be the dumbest stupidest decision you could possibly make.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Please tell me this is a joke post.

Returning the TCL for a vastly inferior LG would be the dumbest stupidest decision you could possibly make.

Could you maybe clarify why that seems to be so stupid and how that monitor is so inferior?

I'm seeing good reviews for that monitor, although I'm also seeing people mention some horrible PWM flicker issues, so I'm probably not going to bother.

My son broke my 4k TV set about 8 months ago and I've been hesitant to replace it until I find a good deal. I found a new Samsung UN55KU6290 for $299 on clearance. Anyone have this? I'm wondering how good it would be for 4k gaming.

Norse

My son broke my 4k TV set about 8 months ago and I've been hesitant to replace it until I find a good deal. I found a new Samsung UN55KU6290 for $299 on clearance. Anyone have this? I'm wondering how good it would be for 4k gaming.

What does rtings.com say about it?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Could you maybe clarify why that seems to be so stupid and how that monitor is so inferior?

I'm seeing good reviews for that monitor, although I'm also seeing people mention some horrible PWM flicker issues, so I'm probably not going to bother.
No HDR. IPS panel vs VA panel on the TCL.

It's a no brainer.

It makes an excellent monitor.

thatJohann

Saw this tv in person in Best Buy today and wasn’t impressed sadly. Must be the weird overhead angle they had the tv on. Also it looked pretty fat for a modern tv and big bezels. Not a good first impression. :(

Saw this tv in person in Best Buy today and wasn’t impressed sadly. Must be the weird overhead angle they had the tv on. Also it looked pretty fat for a modern tv and big bezels. Not a good first impression. :(

Yeah I don't think the tv would really pop in store without the right content, and it's certainly not a looker in the style department, but for 4k/HDR content there isn't a better deal right now.

Yeah I don't think the tv would really pop in store without the right content, and it's certainly not a looker in the style department, but for 4k/HDR content there isn't a better deal right now.

Yeah, it's just looping a shitty demo and has god knows what settings.

My criteria for a TV besides picture is whether or not I can lift it myself. I can easily lift this one, so I don't really care if it's a little thicker or has dull bezels that are a little bigger than normal.

Klocker

Should I have Xbox S output 10bit or 8bit to this panel?

I know it is a 10bit panel but have seen different opinions on this.

Also 4'2'2 color space on or off

Thx

vg260

Thx

Good question. I have no idea either, but I checked everything I could and set it to automatic/standard color space and the max color depth.

So these don't seem to sell in Canada, but im considering grabbing a 4k TV at some point later in the year, what would you guys reccomend that's comparable and available in Canada or alternatively what specs should i be looking at to get something comparable?

It's stupid because that monitor is inferior in every way except the viewing angles. No HDR support and the color gamut is probably garbage compared to the TCL TV.

KageMaru

Thx

Is there an automatic option for those settings?

422 is the color format for HDR over HDMI.

HDR benefits are diminished in very bright lighting conditions. The fact that it's VA panel makes viewing angles more narrow. You won't find anything better than this TV unless you are willing pay $1200+ to be able to improve on it and it's most likely not worth it until you hit the $2000+ OLED TVs.

vg260

So don't use RGB?
Now I can't even remember what the options were. Sorry if I was remembering incorrectly.

If someone can clarify the best settings for Xbox ans PS4 too it would be awesome.

Klocker

No auto mode. Just says these options are available on your panel. So I assume all are usable for games? I wont watch Blu Ray media on it really

Edit. To clarify I do use standard, not pc space

KageMaru

So don't use RGB?
Now I can't even remember what the options were. Sorry if I was remembering incorrectly.

If someone can clarify the best settings for Xbox ans PS4 too it would be awesome.

I'd just set the PS4 to all automatic if you have this TV. Not sure about the Xbox since I don't have one to check.

RGB is 4:4:4 which HDMI 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth to support in 4K HDR at 60fps. So when displaying HDR content, the system will send a 4:2:2 signal to the TV. This is better and more accurate than 4:2:0.

Klocker

I'd just set the PS4 to all automatic if you have this TV. Not sure about the Xbox since I don't have one to check.

RGB is 4:4:4 which HDMI 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth to support in 4K HDR at 60fps. So when displaying HDR content, the system will send a 4:2:2 signal to the TV. This is better and more accurate than 4:2:0.
Thx, But also send 10bit color from Xbox?

KageMaru

Thx, But also send 10bit color from Xbox?

I could be wrong but I think that only applies to the dashboard. Even with 8-bit selected, I would think that the Xbox would still send a 10-bit signal when displaying HDR content. If it didn't, you would see banding artifacts when showing HDR.

Sorry I can't give a solid answer and I'm the furthest thing from an expert on all this anyways. =p

Klocker

Ok thanks I saw no discernable difference whether I had 8 or 10 on quick visual inspection.

Will leave it at 10 I suppose

Thx for the info. You're more of an expert thank me ;-)

Vlaphor

Got a couple questions myself, and I'm hoping someone here can answer them. I bought an hdr-less 4k Samsung TV a while back on clearance, and it's fine, but I've been looking more and more into HDR support and these TV's seem like the right spot between price/hdr/input lag...but I have certain requirements for a TV.

One is that I use my TV as my computer monitor, so any idea how the 50 in (edit: there is 50 in version, just 55. That'll work on my setup, but I'll need to move stuff around and clean off my desk, which I've been needing to do anyway) would work with that. I have my TV on the other wide side of a table and use it that way.

Also, I have an older 5.1 receiver that I've been needing to upgrade for a while, since it only does 1080p. I have my video card display port connected to an Display Port to HDMI converter which plugs directly into my TV and another HDMI cable which plugs into my receiver for 5.1 audio. It's janky and occasionally requires maintenance, but it works. If I get a new TV, i'll probably need to get a new receiver as well. If I plug the computer directly into the receiver via hdmi and plug that into the tv, what am I looking at in terms of lag and feature set? My current resolution is 4k 60 4:4:4 and while people talk about converters creating input lag, I certainly don't notice anything. I have my PS4 and my Switch plugged into the old receiver, since 1080 is enough for them.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to get as much info as I can before I buy. Thanks.

enewtabie

Great tv. Got mine Saturday. Squeezed it in the back of an Honda Accord. Xbox looks freaking much better than it ever did on my old tv. Got the Best Buy one for $599

thatJohann

Does the Best Buy version have a different remote than the Amazon version P607 vs P605?

I read somewhere that the Amazon version P607 has a headphone jack in the remote control. Is that true? What other differences between Best Buy version and Amazon version?

enewtabie

Does the Best Buy version have a different remote than the Amazon version P607 vs P605?

I read somewhere that the Amazon version P607 has a headphone jack in the remote control. Is that true? What other differences between Best Buy version and Amazon version?

P607 has a headphone jack. P605(BB Model) does not.

JG5253

Big bezels? Bezels are kinda thin. Must be different set

JG5253

Yeah, it's just looping a shitty demo and has god knows what settings.

My criteria for a TV besides picture is whether or not I can lift it myself. I can easily lift this one, so I don't really care if it's a little thicker or has dull bezels that are a little bigger than normal.
Thickness is one of the last concerns I look for TV sets

Saw this tv in person in Best Buy today and wasn't impressed sadly. Must be the weird overhead angle they had the tv on. Also it looked pretty fat for a modern tv and big bezels. Not a good first impression. :(

Very thin bezel on this TV. I saw it at my local bestbuy as well and I wouldn't judge the picture by that. The image at bestbuy made me question my purchase as well but once i got home and adjusted the settings to my liking, I fell in love with the picture quality.

You can use the roku app on your smartphone and basically get every feature that's missing from the p605 remote. The actual TVs are exactly the same.

55" the biggest this goes? My folks are in the market for a new TV.

55 is the only size.

KageMaru

Got a couple questions myself, and I'm hoping someone here can answer them. I bought an hdr-less 4k Samsung TV a while back on clearance, and it's fine, but I've been looking more and more into HDR support and these TV's seem like the right spot between price/hdr/input lag...but I have certain requirements for a TV.

One is that I use my TV as my computer monitor, so any idea how the 50 in (edit: there is 50 in version, just 55. That'll work on my setup, but I'll need to move stuff around and clean off my desk, which I've been needing to do anyway) would work with that. I have my TV on the other wide side of a table and use it that way.

Also, I have an older 5.1 receiver that I've been needing to upgrade for a while, since it only does 1080p. I have my video card display port connected to an Display Port to HDMI converter which plugs directly into my TV and another HDMI cable which plugs into my receiver for 5.1 audio. It's janky and occasionally requires maintenance, but it works. If I get a new TV, i'll probably need to get a new receiver as well. If I plug the computer directly into the receiver via hdmi and plug that into the tv, what am I looking at in terms of lag and feature set? My current resolution is 4k 60 4:4:4 and while people talk about converters creating input lag, I certainly don't notice anything. I have my PS4 and my Switch plugged into the old receiver, since 1080 is enough for them.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to get as much info as I can before I buy. Thanks.

I wouldn't run HDMI through your receiver. You wouldn't get 4K or HDR with that set-up.

funcojoe

Ever since the update went through local dimming is only working on the low setting for non hdr viewing. Destiny on my Xbox looks like shit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The funny thing is you even have people buying tcl tvs from 2016 thinking they are the 2017 s series because some places like Walmart still sell the old models.

But yeah nowhere is selling the p series for $399. Not to mention the guy thinks destiny 2 has hdr...

KageMaru

so should I let my XS console upscale to 4k or let this tv do it from 1080p game?

I'd set the system to do the upscaling. The scaler in the TV seems quite capable since it doesn't look to introduce any extra input lag when upscaling 1080p content, but I'd still have the system do it. One main reason is because I'm not sure if the system will send out a 4K signal when playing UHD movies while set in 1080p.

I meant if I bought a new receiver. I know that my older receiver doesn't do 4k or anything fancy.

Oh I see, sorry. I would look for a receiver that obviously supports 4K HDR with minimal input lag through HDMI. Unfortunately I don't follow receiver technology enough to make any suggestions. You can also look into buying a HDMI splitter that supports 4K HDR, have one that runs into your TV for video and the other running into your current receiver for audio. IF that works, that could be a much cheaper option.

Vlaphor

Oh I see, sorry. I would look for a receiver that obviously supports 4K HDR with minimal input lag through HDMI. Unfortunately I don't follow receiver technology enough to make any suggestions. You can also look into buying a HDMI splitter that supports 4K HDR, have one that runs into your TV for video and the other running into your current receiver for audio. IF that works, that could be a much cheaper option.

Would that work with consoles. I've been thinking about getting the PS4 Pro, but there's no point now if I have to choose between 4k video and 5.1 audio.

Owari

So I noticed my 65 inch 4K roku tv makes an annoying as fuck clicking noise (think iPod click wheel)

Either I gotta figure some settings out, or buy speakers to hook up to it that don't suck.

Top Bottom