• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I noticed my 65 inch 4K roku tv makes an annoying as fuck clicking noise (think iPod click wheel)

Either I gotta figure some settings out, or buy speakers to hook up to it that don't suck.

if you're just talking about the menu ui sound you can turn off in the audio settings

KageMaru

Would that work with consoles. I've been thinking about getting the PS4 Pro, but there's no point now if I have to choose between 4k video and 5.1 audio.

The HDMI splitter? Yeah it should work, should being the key word there. As long as the splitter is 2.0 compliant, it should support 4K HDR at 60fps. Not sure how your receiver would handle it all though. Another option for the Pro would be using an optical cable if your receiver supports that.

Owari

if you're just talking about the menu ui sound you can turn off in the audio settings
Nah not the menu UI. Just an annoying as fuck clicking sound that is constantly in the background of all audio. Now I know why this thing was so cheap.

Went and got mine yesterday. Got everything set up and it looks really good.

I do have an issue though, it has what I assume they call clouding directly in the upper center of the screen. It's pretty bad. It sucks because it's a 3 hour round trip if I want to go get a replacement.
If you got it from best buy They might deliver you a new one for free.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hur hur. 55. Whatever the size. Doesn't matter. Sound quality is beyond trash.

i don't disagree with that. if you care about sound quality i wouldn't recommend tv speakers for any tv though...outside of maybe the ones where they include a sound bar that isn't attached to the tv. tv speakers have gone done the drain every since the race to get as thin as possible (not to mention screen uniformity)

back to your issue. i don't have any clicking on mine though. try contacting tcl support to see if they have any idea. if its outside of the return period but inside warranty that sounds like something they'd cover with a warranty replacement if its a hardware defect.

Kawika

Anyone have an OSSC. I've heard that the TCL TVs seem to be very compatible with the new retro scaler of choice.

Owari

i don't disagree with that. if you care about sound quality i wouldn't recommend tv speakers for any tv though...outside of maybe the ones where they include a sound bar that isn't attached to the tv. tv speakers have gone done the drain every since the race to get as thin as possible (not to mention screen uniformity)

back to your issue. i don't have any clicking on mine though. try contacting tcl support to see if they have any idea. if its outside of the return period but inside warranty that sounds like something they'd cover with a warranty replacement if its a hardware defect.
Good advice. I don't expect great sound quality from television speakers, but I also don't expect obnoxious iPod clickwheel sound every time any sound plays. It's crazy to me this kind of thing would pass QA (I assume there actually isn't a QA program for these making them so cheap)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Good advice. I don't expect great sound quality from television speakers, but I also don't expect obnoxious iPod clickwheel sound every time any sound plays. It's crazy to me this kind of thing would pass QA (I assume there actually isn't a QA program for these making them so cheap)

they supposedly are able to make them so cheap because of vertical integration but who knows. they might actually just selling them cheap like vizio to try and get market share and brand recognition.

they supposedly are able to make them so cheap because of vertical integration but who knows. they might actually just selling them cheap like vizio to try and get market share and brand recognition.

It's 100% a market share thing. I had never heard of this company before this year now I hear it piping up all over the place. Ryan mccafferty from ign mentioned on a podcast that a high up person with Microsoft recommended the tv to him after he said he wasn't interested in the X because he didn't have a 4k tv.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's 100% a market share thing. I had never heard of this company before this year now I hear it piping up all over the place. Ryan mccafferty from ign mentioned on a podcast that a high up person with Microsoft recommended the tv to him after he said he wasn't interested in the X because he didn't have a 4k tv.

technically they've been in the us for a long time just that they licensed the rca brand name and sold tvs under that name. you see that a lot with home appliances actually. they've been doing a pretty hard marketing push this year though.

i've seen them partner with a bunch of random things. Ellen just gave away 55inch s series to her entire audience the other day, ucla athletics/rose bowl official tv partnership, viewing party for The Bachelor lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yep, Vizio did the same thing to establish their cred.

TCL isn't the only company doing Hisense also.

Having said that, if I had $2000 I would have gotten the Sony X930E.

Klocker

i generally don't find local dimming as useful for gaming unless its like a dark game. its mostly a video thing with me. especially with stuff that has black borders. i love my inky letterboxes. lol

although that might be changing with more stuff implementing hdr. damnit destiny 2.

are people having to lower the gamma in hdr picture modes to get back some of that shadow detail? i currently have it set to 1.8 cuz 2.2 often seem too dark
ok now that I have HDR gaming X1S, i wanted to revisit this,

yes in a couple games so far I need to have gamma at 1.8-2.0 as well as upping the color quite a bit and drop brightness by 1-2 points to keep the rixchness

otherwise it is too dark

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can't believe plasmas were ever a thing to begin with considering their image retention and burn-in issues.

You obviously never owned a plasma, because this comment is total ignorance.

Early plasmas had issues with image retention. Measures were built in to plasmas that largely nullified those issues. By 2006, permanent image retention was largely a thing of the past for plasmas. Could images still remain if left unchecked for hours? Sure, but it was the epitome of an overblown issue.

To this day plasmas provide probably the best overall picture quality.

While I don't see it happening, I would love nothing more than for plasmas to make a comeback and be compatible with 4K/HDR. The Pioneer Kuro's are some of the best TVs of all time.

Early plasmas had issues with image retention. Measures were built in to plasmas that largely nullified those issues. By 2006, permanent image retention was largely a thing of the past for plasmas. Could images still remain if left unchecked for hours? Sure, but it was the epitome of an overblown issue.

While I don't see it happening, I would love nothing more than for plasmas to make a comeback and be compatible with 4K/HDR. The Pioneer Kuro's are some of the best TVs of all time.
Plasma TV's also provide the largest electric bills, lol.

Source: I have a Plasma TV

pr0cs

I managed to get in on the Amazon.ca deal for the 55", as usual thou the delivery date is set as Sept 20-jan 4.
Thanks Amazon for being so specific.

Not that I mind a lot, I'd likely need a new receiver since my current one is > 4 years old and so probably can't drive 4k/hdr anyway

IcyStorm

Hur hur. 55. Whatever the size. Doesn't matter. Sound quality is beyond trash.

It kinda matters in that you may have the S405, not the P605/607, since you mentioned earlier that you got in on a $400 price, which the S405 was on sale for this past weekend. The P605/607 may have the same issue that you're saying, but yeah.

Is it for sure confirmed that TCL is not doing a 65" version of the P607 tv? Major bummer if so. Right now I'm eyeing the 2017 Vizio M-series for Black Friday instead as a result.

I managed to get in on the Amazon.ca deal for the 55", as usual thou the delivery date is set as Sept 20-jan 4.
Thanks Amazon for being so specific.

Not that I mind a lot, I'd likely need a new receiver since my current one is > 4 years old and so probably can't drive 4k/hdr anyway
You lucky sonovabitch...

Thanks! I had heard people say as much, but hadn't actually seen any articles or news for it. Maybe my google search is broken lol. I most definitely agree with the writer of the cnet article. A 65" model would have been a killer seller and a considerable threat to the more expensive models sold by other brands. What on earth was TCL thinking? Now I'm really sad, but will continue to watch the price on the Vizio M-series.

Magypsy

If they're scrapping the other two models so that they can focus on even better models for next year that they can also release in Europe then I'm all for it!!!

yes I'm salty

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thanks! I had heard people say as much, but hadn't actually seen any articles or news for it. Maybe my google search is broken lol. I most definitely agree with the writer of the cnet article. A 65" model would have been a killer seller and a considerable threat to the more expensive models sold by other brands. What on earth was TCL thinking? Now I'm really sad, but will continue to watch the price on the Vizio M-series.

these tv's are on a one year cycle. if they can't even release it before CES 2018 or get good yields for larger panels it'd probably make more financial sense for them to just work on next year's model and hope they can get out all sizes at the same time for next year.

I have a plasma at home that I bought three years ago. The image quality if fucking amazing.... when you don't notice that the destiny HUD is burned into the lower left corner. I was actively trying to avoid burn in with destiny but was unable to.

Plasma TV's also provide the largest electric bills, lol.

Source: I have a Plasma TV

In the winter they put off so much heat they cut down on your heating bill tho lol.

Cyriades

Hey guys, I've been thinking about maybe returning this TV and getting the LG 43UD79-B monitor instead. It's a 43" monitor with an IPS screen and should have better viewing angles and color than the TCL, albeit without HDR. Less input lag too and the built in speakers are supposed to be awesome.

Does anyone think it's worth just keeping the TV or should I go for this? HDR doesn't really impress me and the smaller size would actually work better in my setup.

So the only reason to get the monitor is IPS screen. Is the color shift pretty bad on the TCL? I know its a VA panel.

phaze

If they're scrapping the other two models so that they can focus on even better models for next year that they can also release in Europe then I'm all for it!!!

yes I'm salty

Oh ...

I was just about to ask when are they releasing this thing in Europe. I guess I'll have to look for another one.

RedAssedApe

Banned
is anyone noticing in destiny 2 that you can see flashlighting in the corners in the loading screens where its mostly black except for the destiny logo?

seems like fald isn't working for me in some instances. unless the screen isn't black? :\

Stiler

is anyone noticing in destiny 2 that you can see flashlighting in the corners in the loading screens where its mostly black except for the destiny logo?

seems like fald isn't working for me in some instances. unless the screen isn't black? :\

Are you playing directly to the tv or going through an a/v receiver?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So the only reason to get the monitor is IPS screen. Is the color shift pretty bad on the TCL? I know its a VA panel.

I wouldn't call it "pretty bad," but it can be noticeable. But I decided not to buy that monitor after watching some videos on it for gaming that pretty much confirmed it was awful for that purpose.

Owari

It kinda matters in that you may have the S405, not the P605/607, since you mentioned earlier that you got in on a $400 price, which the S405 was on sale for this past weekend. The P605/607 may have the same issue that you're saying, but yeah.
It's the 401. What's the difference?

Lyte Edge

Anyone else having problems with this TV and PS4 Pro after the recent system update? I tried to play Uncharted Lost Legacy, and when the game went to switch to HDR, I got a static/snow screen.

EDIT: Seems to be back to normal after I restarted the system.

EDIT 2: PS4 shut-off all of a sudden when I tried Uncharted again. LOL, great update, Sony.

Lyte Edge

To make sure my settings didn't get all borked, should I use automatic, 2160p-YUV420, or 2160p-RGB?

My friend has a tight budget and doesn't need a huge TV screen.

Any recs for a smaller, lower-spec set (1080p acceptable, HDR optional) that's still good for gaming and is no more than $300ish?

KageMaru

To make sure my settings didn't get all borked, should I use automatic, 2160p-YUV420, or 2160p-RGB?

Use either automatic or RGB. I use automatic and it has worked fine so far.

My friend has a tight budget and doesn't need a huge TV screen.

Any recs for a smaller, lower-spec set (1080p acceptable, HDR optional) that's still good for gaming and is no more than $300ish?

There is nothing good in that price range. $600 for the P605 is really the best option.

KageMaru

Thanks. RGB was screwing it up; automatic seems to be working fine.

Weird, it worked fine in my testing. Make sure you have the port set to HDMI 2.0 in the TV settings. I'm wondering if there's a chance your PS4 will default to 4:2:0 instead of 4:2:2 when the port is not set to 2.0.

funcojoe

seems like fald isn't working for me in some instances. unless the screen isn't black? :

As has been stated on avs forums fald is f'f up right now. After the latest update there is no difference in the medium and high settings, it's on low on anything non hdr. Try it.

Destiny looks like a muddy mess on my set right now.

Top Bottom