• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

It’s not. In fact I avoid it if I can. The PS4 app after the most recent update puts the tv in hdr mode even when the content you are watching doesn’t actually do hdr. PS4 app also has those fucking annoying preview clips that constantly play audio even when you’re just browsing the catalog or put the remote down for a seconds.

I just used it as a quick way to test local dimming since I was gonna play a game and there are screens in the app where a large portion of the screen is black. Fald doesn’t work on the roku app until you start streaming.

Thanks for the info!

Amazing thread. Mostly been using my TV out of box and its performijg wonderfully.

I did hook up a friends Pro and took a few minutes to get 4k working but the results were very nice

Very happy with the TV so far... uhhh ill cross the HDR bridge later since it seems so iffy

Klocker

are you sure Low setting only works?

I am talking in Game mode here HDR and SDR but...

I have looked at several sources and while the FALD does not appear to be changing,if you have a dark image on screen when you change you can see subtle changes in deepening blacks, very subtle but there

Most games are not showing any change unless you get to that fine black detail on screen

So I am saying it is not broken per se, the effect is just not very strong.

Someone else [lease try this and let me know what you find thx

funcojoe

Ok I got in touch with a tcl rep. He told me to on the HDMI input options for the Xbox if it was checked to auto to uncheck it and set it to 2.0

So I did. Lo and behold holy S it worked and I'm finally seeing destiny in real blacks with color. Fald works again.

I'm strongly considering buying this TV to justify getting an X. I'd also use it for 4K HDR pc gaming.

Current price on Amazon is $679 from a third party seller. What is the normal price?

Pacalon

Neo Member
I've got one of these pre-ordered through Amazon with a delivery date sometime in early to mid October. I managed to snag it for $50 off, making it the same price as the Best Buy version but with the better remote.

My question is, is the remote worth it? My concern is that I've read a little bit of people having some quality issues with the screen and I'm worried if I run into that at some point that it could be more difficult to deal with Amazon and having to mail it back vs buying it from Best Buy along with their replacement warranty and being able to walk in and swap if I run into problems. I know I also get some extended warranty stuff through my credit card that kicks in after the manufacturers warranty or any extended warranty is expired, but I'm trying to figure out the best direction regardless.

I've got one of these pre-ordered through Amazon with a delivery date sometime in early to mid October. I managed to snag it for $50 off, making it the same price as the Best Buy version but with the better remote.

My question is, is the remote worth it? My concern is that I've read a little bit of people having some quality issues with the screen and I'm worried if I run into that at some point that it could be more difficult to deal with Amazon and having to mail it back vs buying it from Best Buy along with their replacement warranty and being able to walk in and swap if I run into problems. I know I also get some extended warranty stuff through my credit card that kicks in after the manufacturers warranty or any extended warranty is expired, but I'm trying to figure out the best direction regardless.

Here's the thing with the remote. It has a fewfeatures you will be missing out on: a Mic for voice control/search, a headphone jack, and a feature to help you find the remote if it's lost.

I would turn the Mic of immediately because I don't like voice search to begin with plus I don't want a live Mic hanging out in my living room, call me paranoid idc. The lost remote feature would be nice because the remote is quite small but I've never misplaced it for more than 5 minutes. The headphone jack allows you to listen to audio from the roku apps on the tv, not from anything connected via hdmi AND the roku phone app has the exact same feature, except your obviously plugging your headphones unto your phone instead.

I was one if the people that got a set with bad dirty screen effect and I'm really glad that I got to deal with bestbuy instead of amazon. They were very quick and responsive when I asked for a replacement tv. They didn't even ask me what was wrong with the tv they were replacing uuntil after they had already unpacked and set up the new tv.

I'm still confused as to what my ps4 pro settings should be with this tv. With everything on automatic I feel like I have crushed blacks. Anyone else experience this?

I'm still confused as to what my ps4 pro settings should be with this tv. With everything on automatic I feel like I have crushed blacks. Anyone else experience this?
I'm all automatic and I don't have crushed blacks. What are you seeing the crushed blacks in? Games, videos or just everything?

BrunoM

Sorry to jump in this thread without much research, but 55” is too small for me. Do they have an equivalent that is larger?
So I been ghost following this .. because I want a new TV and it will be use 80%for gaming but don't want to spend much and seeing as this TV just got available in Toronto (canada)

Been looking around
They were going to make 2 other sizes but released some statement saying 55 will be the only available they moving all other resources and focus to new 2018 models

KingKong

I never had a roku before but wow, the roku remote that comes with this thing is super comfortable

I wish those 4 quick access buttons were customizable though

RedAssedApe

Banned

When viewing what? On some things hdr seems like blacks are crushed (streaming services) but otherwise it seems fine. Maybe try playingn with the gamma controls. Helped a bit when I thought Netflix and Amazon were too dark in hdr.

Norse

Stopped by Costco today and they had the s403 and the new c800 series tvs next to each other. $419 and 549 respectfully. I wonder if they will get a p600 series next. I thought the s403 picture was better than the c800. Both looked great though. Both were 55" models.

Just ordered the p605 from Best Buy, which should get delivered on Thursday, and I've been seeing the FALD issue brought up a lot. Should I not connect the TV to the internet so as not to download the update then?

KageMaru

Sorry to jump in this thread without much research, but 55” is too small for me. Do they have an equivalent that is larger?

They planned to release a 65" version but later canceled it. They moved their focus on releasing a 65" version for the 2018 follow up.

funcojoe

Just ordered the p605 from Best Buy, which should get delivered on Thursday, and I've been seeing the FALD issue brought up a lot. Should I not connect the TV to the internet so as not to download the update then?

After a ton of experimenting, just go into the hdmi input options and set it to 2.0. You'll need that anyway for ps4pro and xone x.

Right now fald is working it's just not very noticeable unless you have a static black or dark screen.

You shut it off and bam u see a horrible picture, turn on low and dramatic improvement, bump to mid and slight change, and lastly high very very very minimal change that u can only see working on a very dark screen paused.

I leave mine on high, destiny looks beautiful in non hdr sub 4k on x1 now. Can't wait to see the games on the x1x.

Hdr content looks fabulous as usual.

I can only assume in one of the fw updates they toned high on fald down a tad as it def was crushing blacks.

They planned to release a 65" version but later canceled it. They moved their focus on releasing a 65" version for the 2018 follow up.
Yep and it irks me so much. The 2018 tv will be infinitely more expensive than what the 65" version of the P607 would have been, and I really would like to get a tv this Fall. Such a shame. That was my target tv. Now I'm aiming for the 2017 65" Vizio M-series. Looks like the best combination of price, quality, and size. Could potentially be at or below a grand on black friday, at least I'm hoping anyway.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yep and it irks me so much. The 2018 tv will be infinitely more expensive than what the 65" version of the P607 would have been, and I really would like to get a tv this Fall. Such a shame. That was my target tv. Now I'm aiming for the 2017 65" Vizio M-series. Looks like the best combination of price, quality, and size. Could potentially be at or below a grand on black friday, at least I'm hoping anyway.

I dunno about that. They will probably come in at Vizio pricing which is comparable. Their c series is already discounted on msrp at most places and it was supposed to be priced higher than the p. I'm guessing it'd doing poorly compared to the p and s series.

One niche tv doing well for them in the budget priced sector isn't going to earn them enough name branding to allow them to suddenly mark up the price. They aren't Sony or Samsung or even Vizio yet in the us market.

I dunno about that. They will probably come in at Vizio pricing which is comparable. Their c series is already discounted on msrp at most places and it was supposed to be priced higher than the p. I’m guessing it’d doing poorly compared to the p and s series.

One niche tv doing well for them in the budget priced sector isn’t going to earn them enough name branding to allow them to suddenly mark up the price. They aren’t Sony or Samsung or even Vizio yet in the us market.
I'm still concerned about pricing. I think the only info we have is from cnet. They asked TCL why the 65" was scrapped and cnet said they were focusing on "new, cutting edge technology" for 2018. Sounds like a more expensive tv to me. But only way to know is to wait and see unfortunately.

Given how much of an issue this tv has with dirty screen effect I imagine they would have a difficult time getting an even bigger screen to have any sort of consistency with the current technology in the p605.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm still concerned about pricing. I think the only info we have is from cnet. They asked TCL why the 65" was scrapped and cnet said they were focusing on "new, cutting edge technology" for 2018. Sounds like a more expensive tv to me. But only way to know is to wait and see unfortunately.

tbh if the tech is sound I don't mind paying more. There's basically this gaping $500 gap between this and the next level up which would probably be the Vizio P/Sony X900e where they have some room.

If a couple hundred dollars would mean improved uniformity/build quality, and 120 hz i would have gladly paid it. There's some headroom to slot themselves right in that sweet spot.

Klocker

As much as I love this TV, I am frustrated because I have HDMI-ARC issues. It has completely stopped working.

that sucks, sounds like you trouble shot it pretty well. wish we could help. I can't even imaging what else you could do to get it working.

did you try a full rest of tv?

are you sure it's not your sound system arc implementation?

Given how much of an issue this tv has with dirty screen effect I imagine they would have a difficult time getting an even bigger screen to have any sort of consistency with the current technology in the p605.
I hadn't considered this but you make a great point.

I wish neogaf had a single thread for people trying to decide on a tv much like the I need a new pc thread. I suppose it would have to go in off topic section since it wouldn't be directly related to gaming though. The oled thread is only for oled discussion. Everything else is for specific tvs (Sony x850, tcl p607,etc)

ParityBit

I wish neogaf had a single thread for people trying to decide on a tv much like the I need a new pc thread. I suppose it would have to go in off topic section since it wouldn't be directly related to gaming though. The oled thread is only for oled discussion. Everything else is for specific tvs (Sony x850, tcl p607,etc)

It would turn into a nightmare thread of people proving they had a better TV. Not really what you would want.

RedAssedApe

Banned

isn't that this thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323499

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
that sucks, sounds like you trouble shot it pretty well. wish we could help. I can't even imaging what else you could do to get it working.

did you try a full rest of tv?

are you sure it's not your sound system arc implementation?

I ended up buying an optical cable and am using it for sound from the TV.

I suppose it's possible that one of the recent firmware updates caused there to be handshaking issues.

At the end of the day it's no big loss since I can still run my 4K bluray player, Xbox one s (soon to be X) and PS4 pro through the receiver and get full lossless audio. Optical cables will never support full lossless audio but given that it will be many years before streaming services offer lossless audio (it would eat far too much bandwidth) it's a moot issue.

Thinking of buying this set in 55 inch instead of the more expensive Sony 900e...

This AVS impression makes it tempting,he doesnt say what P series it is though...

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-4k-hdr-roku-tv-is-great-for-gaming/
The p series is the p605 and p607. The only difference between the two is that the p607 had a fancier remote and costs $50 more. I don't really remember what makes the remote special as I don't have it. I believe that the p607 is only available through amazon.

SaintR

I think one catch with the Vizio P, which I was considering for a while too, is the way you watch streaming on it vs the TCL’s Roku interface. Vizio uses a chromecasting feature from your phone, last I checked Amazon and Google werent playing nice so that means that unlike the TCL Roku where u can watch Prime series in HDR you wouldn’t be able to on the P series unless you get a $180 Apple 4K box and even that has its issues as it’s slow to add HDR support for Vudu.

Just received and set it up with the rtings settings! I don't have a PS4 Pro yet so I've just been watching 4K HDR content on Youtube. My god, the picture quality is amazing.

Sorry for the double post, but I've started to notice some horizontal flickering across the screen while watching HDR videos on the Youtube app through Roku. I don't know if this is a known issue or if it's specific to my set. I also can't tell if it's from the video itself because for the ones where I'm encountering the issue, it's always at the exact same frames. I won't be able to test other sources either because I just have the vanilla PS4 and Xbox One.

Anybody else experience this?

EDIT: Well fuck, I may have received a lemon. Now, my TV screen just stays black even though it's on and I can hear the clicking from using the remote. I can even see the faint outlines of the apps, but there's no light coming out of the screen.

Klocker

Sorry for the double post, but I've started to notice some horizontal flickering across the screen while watching HDR videos on the Youtube app through Roku. I don't know if this is a known issue or if it's specific to my set. I also can't tell if it's from the video itself because for the ones where I'm encountering the issue, it's always at the exact same frames. I won't be able to test other sources either because I just have the vanilla PS4 and Xbox One.

Anybody else experience this?

EDIT: Well fuck, I may have received a lemon. Now, my TV screen just stays black even though it's on and I can hear the clicking from using the remote. I can even see the faint outlines of the apps, but there's no light coming out of the screen.

See if you can get to settings and restart or better yet a full reset?

Top Bottom