• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Dabanton

Yep and it irks me so much. The 2018 tv will be infinitely more expensive than what the 65" version of the P607 would have been, and I really would like to get a tv this Fall. Such a shame. That was my target tv. Now I'm aiming for the 2017 65" Vizio M-series. Looks like the best combination of price, quality, and size. Could potentially be at or below a grand on black friday, at least I'm hoping anyway.

Since this TV won't be coming to Canada. This is where I'm leaning, either an M series or a P one.

Spurs

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is this TV an NA only thing? Or is it available in Europe, specifically the UK?

Ricker

Rtings settings are excellent but I did turn up the backlight and found it looked much better

I thought you had a Sony 900e...?...I am sure the Sony picture is better but is it 1,000 bucks better...the 900E is currently on sale(200 bucks less CAD),making it 1800 before tax.

KageMaru

Ok my TV just rebooted again, now the background is purple and the icons look different. WTF is going on with my TV? I checked and I haven't received an update in two days.

Edit: never mind, apparently it was a featured theme and I had featured themes enabled.

I had the same thing happen to me this weekend! Automatically shut off and was unresponsive for a couple minutes, then came back on and has worked fine since.

Yeah my TV first rebooted, sat at the boot up screen for a second, and then shut off. I was able to turn it on instantly but I have no idea what's happening with my TV.

happens to me every one in a while, usually when I am messing with picture settings but occasionally when just viewing

Odd, I have had this TV on for hours every day and have yet to experience this.

Klocker

Ok my TV just rebooted again, now the background is purple and the icons look different. WTF is going on with my TV? I checked and I haven't received an update in two days.

Edit: never mind, apparently it was a featured theme and I had featured themes enabled.

Yeah my TV first rebooted, sat at the boot up screen for a second, and then shut off. I was able to turn it on instantly but I have no idea what's happening with my TV.

Odd, I have had this TV on for hours every day and have yet to experience this.

i have gotten every update though even ones that have been recalled so I just assumed it was firmware issue

SaintR

Are some Amazon prime videos available in Dolby Vision with this tv? I’m not really seeing a way to search for something like that while browsing the shows/movies available in Dolby Vision.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Are some Amazon prime videos available in Dolby Vision with this tv? I'm not really seeing a way to search for something like that while browsing the shows/movies available in Dolby Vision.

no. only hdr10. i believe only lg tvs support dolby vision on amazon video right now

kunonabi

Sadly, im in the market for a tv again since i have a dead bug underneath my screen so i might actually try and grab one of these. I have my eye on this or a samsung.

I got this TV delivered from Best Buy this week. It's all setup and I'm pretty happy with it. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 last night in 4K HDR through Vudu and that looked pretty amazing. I'm a big fan of Roku going way back so I feel right at home in the TV's interface.

The only trouble I'm having right now is I can't get ARC to work, and the 4K HDR output from my PC is not stable. It's possible the latter is a cable/receiver problem. My Sony STR-DH770 is supposed to support 4K HDR passthrough, but I've ordered a 15 ft premium HDMI cable to try bypassing it.

The ARC problem is weirder because it was working for a while. Initially I had the receiver output plugged into HDMI 1 on the set assuming that was the ARC port. When I realized it's actually HDMI that supports ARC I switched it over and was getting sound that way. At some point yesterday that stopped working and I had to plug in an optical cable to get sound out of the TV.

Oh, one other thing, in the Netflix app I can't get the playback stats to go away. Every fix I see online involves the * button but that just brings up the picture settings on this TV.

//ARCANUM

I got this TV delivered from Best Buy this week. It's all setup and I'm pretty happy with it. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 last night in 4K HDR through Vudu and that looked pretty amazing. I'm a big fan of Roku going way back so I feel right at home in the TV's interface.

The only trouble I'm having right now is I can't get ARC to work, and the 4K HDR output from my PC is not stable. It's possible the latter is a cable/receiver problem. My Sony STR-DH770 is supposed to support 4K HDR passthrough, but I've ordered a 15 ft premium HDMI cable to try bypassing it.

The ARC problem is weirder because it was working for a while. Initially I had the receiver output plugged into HDMI 1 on the set assuming that was the ARC port. When I realized it's actually HDMI that supports ARC I switched it over and was getting sound that way. At some point yesterday that stopped working and I had to plug in an optical cable to get sound out of the TV.

Oh, one other thing, in the Netflix app I can't get the playback stats to go away. Every fix I see online involves the * button but that just brings up the picture settings on this TV.

ARC was a huge mess for me. I never got it to work, gave up, and switched my setup to optical. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I had that same Netflix bug once. I did a full reboot and it went away. Still no idea what caused it.

Just got this TV set up and plugged into my system like 30 minutes ago. Finally got Dolby a vision out of my Apple TV working after a weird setup, now I’m gonna get this harmony remote going, so hopefully I don’t have to mess with HDMI CEC anymore

For the price this TV is great!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I had the same issue with ARC and like you I had to use optical.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmm, hopefully it’s just something that needs a firmware update and that Amazon doesnt hold it as an exclusive feature for Amazon Fire devices.

Amazon likely would just need to update the Roku app. Netflix and vudu already support dv . So yeah seems fishy as Vizio tvs don’t have it either.

I think the only show that supports it is Bosch though and other non-prime movies for purchase.

SaintR

Worth adding apple TV to this? Why?

I wouldnt see the need for adding a $180 Apple TV. The Roku interface is one of this tv’s main features. Unless of course you have a large iTunes Movie library instead of VUDU and you prefer the Apple TV interface.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wouldnt see the need for adding a $180 Apple TV. The Roku interface is one of this tv’s main features. Unless of course you have a large iTunes Movie library instead of VUDU and you prefer the Apple TV interface.

If you own content off iTunes don’t they allow you to download it. Or is it locked to play on Apple devices? (I.e could you download to your laptop and use plex)?

Klocker

can someone revisit this with me?

on Xbox S, on Automatic settings from tv, YCC 4.2.2 is not selected as checked option, nor does it say it is necessary for 10bit HDR

should I leave it unselected or should I select 4.2.2. reading rtngs review it seems the tv will handle the signal appropriately. (Only HDR I watch through Xbox is games, not blu ray, not stream.)

i am not sure I can see a difference between leaving selected or unselected.

also... if I switch to PCRGB, it makes NO difference whatsoever in display, compared to standard (limited) RGB

So I got all the needed components for watch a movie in Dolby Vision... but it isn't outputting that new 'Starship Troopers' movie display in Dolby Vision. Anyone have any clue if something is up?

It showcases Dolby Vision via the Apple TV.

SaintR

So I got all the needed components for watch a movie in Dolby Vision... but it isn't outputting that new 'Starship Troopers' movie display in Dolby Vision. Anyone have any clue if something is up?

It showcases Dolby Vision via the Apple TV.

Just a guess but on the roku tv is the HDMI set to 2.0 on the input where the Apple 4K tv is connected ? I think it has to be switched from AUTO to 2.0 for it to enable HDR. Just a guess tho as I don’t have th Apple tv

Got my replacement p605 yesterday thanks to Best Buy's awesome exchange policy, but it looks like I got unlucky again. The TV was working great for a while, but while watching a blu-ray, a thin, horizontal black line appeared across the left side of the screen (pics below). I'm going to have to return this TV too, but I'm not sure if I'll attempt to get a third one.

3yGpjUq.jpg
sK2KuM3.jpg

JaggedSac

What's the deal with the inventory of this tv at BestBuy. It is sold out in my area and it won't even let me order online. Had this TV been discontinued?

w0rm

Neo Member

Press the * button after loading the Netflix app and before beginning a stream. The playback stats should then be hidden. There’s no on screen prompt, so you’ll have to start a stream to make sure it worked.

As an update, I've settled on optical for sound from the TV for apps, but I was surprised to see ARC working when I switched to my Raspberry Pi 3 plugged into one of the extra HDMI ports on the TV. Why that works but Netflix and other apps don't is a mystery.

I was also able to get a stable 4K HDR image from my Radeon RX480 to the TV by replacing the HDMI cable from the Receiver to the TV with a premium certified Monoprice cable.

//ARCANUM

As an update, I've settled on optical for sound from the TV for apps, but I was surprised to see ARC working when I switched to my Raspberry Pi 3 plugged into one of the extra HDMI ports on the TV. Why that works but Netflix and other apps don't is a mystery.

I was also able to get a stable 4K HDR image from my Radeon RX480 to the TV by replacing the HDMI cable from the Receiver to the TV with a premium certified Monoprice cable.

Yeah it’s kinda nuts. ARC works for my Nintendo Switch, but not PS4 or Xbox One. ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Sykotik

Any of you guys have an issue with the TV's wifi connection not working after you initially power on the TV? I turn off the TV at night and when I go to use it the next day I always have to go to the network menu and manually tell it to connect.

JaggedSac

Tv's definitely not discontinued. I can add it to my cart on best buy. Not sure what's going on for you.

I called them a few days ago and the guy told me they wouldn't have them for the foreseeable future in my area(Alpharetta GA). Couldn't even have it delivered to me or the store up here. So I do a store pickup in Tallahassee and decide I will just visit my fam on the way down this Saturday. I look online today and see I can schedule a store pickup in Alpharetta for Thur. Moral of the story, don't trust Best Buy people over the phone. Moved the store pickup to Alpharetta and should be ready on Thur.

KageMaru

can someone revisit this with me?

on Xbox S, on Automatic settings from tv, YCC 4.2.2 is not selected as checked option, nor does it say it is necessary for 10bit HDR

should I leave it unselected or should I select 4.2.2. reading rtngs review it seems the tv will handle the signal appropriately. (Only HDR I watch through Xbox is games, not blu ray, not stream.)

i am not sure I can see a difference between leaving selected or unselected.

also... if I switch to PCRGB, it makes NO difference whatsoever in display, compared to standard (limited) RGB

Definitely go with 4:2:2. You should receive more color information with 4:2:2.

I'm planning on purchasing this TV from Amazon around November or December. How well does it perform with the Pro?

I love the Pro on this TV.

So question about tv wmstand with mounts, if anyone knows.

I live in an apartment so I won't mount so I've been looking into Tv stand with mounts, but they are too big. I don't want something big but everything seems tp ne 50 inches plus in length.

I have seen some that are 40 or less but say up to 47". I want to upgrade to the 55". Which is about 40-50 pounds. Do any of you think it would hold up in a smaller stand/mount?

HoTHiTTeR

I’d tried combing the threads, but I haven’t seen a reference to this. I just received my backordered P605 from
Best Buy and hooked it all up. 1080p and 4k SDR look great. HDR and Dolby Vision look dim and flat of color. I see many references to firmware version. I have 7.7.0 build 4154. I have all new amazon basics 4k Hdr10 “latest standard” bales that were delivered today.

What am I doing wrong. Not my first rodeo, but it’s been a long week. :(

JaggedSac

I live in an apartment so I won't mount so I've been looking into Tv stand with mounts, but they are too big. I don't want something big but everything seems tp ne 50 inches plus in length.

I have seen some that are 40 or less but say up to 47". I want to upgrade to the 55". Which is about 40-50 pounds. Do any of you think it would hold up in a smaller stand/mount?

I just purchased this stand mount. Don't have the tv yet, but hopefully she holds. The specs say it should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3U994Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

KageMaru

I got this one from Walmart for around $120 and am happy with it.

MjrofNp.jpg

Whalen 3-in-1 Black TV Console for TVs up to 70", Black Glass Shelves

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whalen-3-...for-TVs-up-to-70-Black-Glass-Shelves/27830982

I got this one from Walmart for around $120 and am happy with it.

MjrofNp.jpg

Whalen 3-in-1 Black TV Console for TVs up to 70", Black Glass Shelves

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whalen-3-...for-TVs-up-to-70-Black-Glass-Shelves/27830982

See that looks good but it is too big for my living room at 54".

I was more looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSE7KFG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For a 55". It only says up to 47" which I wonder if it matter or if weight is the real indicator. Would the mount also not fit a bigger tv?

I'm planning on purchasing this TV from Amazon around November or December. How well does it perform with the Pro?
The two get along great. I've had zero issues related to my ps4.

I’d tried combing the threads, but I haven’t seen a reference to this. I just received my backordered P605 from
Best Buy and hooked it all up. 1080p and 4k SDR look great. HDR and Dolby Vision look dim and flat of color. I see many references to firmware version. I have 7.7.0 build 4154. I have all new amazon basics 4k Hdr10 “latest standard” bales that were delivered today.

What am I doing wrong. Not my first rodeo, but it’s been a long week. :(

What HDR content are you viewing? If it's on your ps4 mal sure you have the hdmi port set to 2.0. You also can't have your ps4 routing through the VR breakout box if you have playstation vr. Outside of that play around with the settings. I think using movie mode with HDR is a waste, personally.

Top Bottom