• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
NESpowerhouse said:
I've been having some weird issues getting the TV to work with my PC. Basically, I'm using an 5 year old Denon AVR (HDMI 1.4) to connect my PC to the screen itself. Initially, I wasn't getting any picture until switching the HDMI mode to 2.0. However, now my PC is showing the connection as DVI (even though it's through HDMI), and can therefore not get any sound out of my receiver. What do?

In addition, I've noticed that I cannot get any sound out of the PS3 or PS4 if the input is set to 2.0 or Auto (it figures because of the receiver). I've also tried switching around cables, but nothing really seemed to work.

Okay, it might be an issue pertaining to an HDCP handshake between the receiver and the TV. So I go and connect the PC to the TV by itself and try to see if I can use ARC. However, I can not get the sound through the receiver. I also try using optical audio, but it'll only output stereo. I'm completely stuck now.

In addition to all this, I've also been having trouble getting the Roku app to work to adjust the advanced picture settings. First of all, my college's internet IP range (129) is incompatible with the Roku app for some fucking dumb reason, thus meaning I have to use a different network. The only other network I can connect to initially is a guest network, but I cannot do so unless I both remove my phone as a registered device at my college and get a phone number (been avoiding getting service for over a year now, would need to set up with a new carrier). As a result, I got my friend to bring over a router of his to see if we could use that for the network. He could use his phone to connect just fine to it, but for some reason, while I can get my TV to connect to the local network through the router, I just cannot get it to use the router's network to connect to the internet. If anybody might have a possible solution to this too, that would also be appreciated. This whole bullshit of hiding essential features behind an app is so fucking dumb.

The God

55inch is $80 more than the 605.

main thing that stood out to me when comparing the two was that the m series is slightly more expensive and the m has higher input lag.

Went with the 605.

Rtings settings says that local dimming is unavailable during game mode. Is this outdated info? because I can turn on local dimming w/ game mode just fine

Ok Have the p605 and would like to know how to stop the power light under the tcl logo on the bottom front of the tv from blinking all the time while the tv is ON.
Already have the setting to turn the light off when the tv is off enabled.

Great tv for the money, I grabbed the $599 version at bestbuy a few months ago when I moved.
Only thing I don't like is the dse effect but for the price I can live it for now.

witness

Ready to finally upgrade to 4K and this along with the Vizio M are on the top of my list. Odds this will go on sale for black Friday? Don't want to throw the $600 now and then in 5 weeks its marked down significantly.

lunchtoast

Noticed yesterday the 607 is now 800 on Amazon. Hopefully it'll go back down when they get more in stock...

---today it's showing as 750...

phanphare

Banned
rewatching Mad Men

god it looks gorgeous on this tv

I don't even think it's 4k it just looks damn good because of the color palates and lighting for the show

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ok Have the p605 and would like to know how to stop the power light under the tcl logo on the bottom front of the tv from blinking all the time while the tv is ON.
Already have the setting to turn the light off when the tv is off enabled.

Great tv for the money, I grabbed the $599 version at bestbuy a few months ago when I moved.
Only thing I don't like is the dse effect but for the price I can live it for now.

Don’t think you can I looked in the secret menus. It’s where the ir sensor is for the remote

Nizz

Does the S series of this brand compare well versus the P? Does the S have the low input lag of the P? I see that both Walmart and Amazon have the 55 S series for $400. Or would it just be better to get a P series model.

The God

does anybody else have a thin white-ish horizontal line on the lower half of the screen? It's barely noticeable but it's kinda bugging me

Edit: or maybe that's normal for the picture? Idk

Edit 2: apparently this is called banding? Is there a way to fix it?

here's a picture, hopefully y'all can see what I'm talking about
4aIG5KR.jpg

KageMaru

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Any theories as to Black Friday deals on this TV? I'm getting impatient...BF can't come soon enough.

Honestly, this TV is already being sold for a black friday price.

I seriously doubt it will get a significant discount on black friday.

Rumor has it that TCL has already stopped making these and are devoting their resources to next years models.

SO better get it while you can.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does the S series of this brand compare well versus the P? Does the S have the low input lag of the P? I see that both Walmart and Amazon have the 55 S series for $400. Or would it just be better to get a P series model.

This question gets answered every page and the answer is always the same:

It's worth it to spend the extra for the P-series.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Okay, it might be an issue pertaining to an HDCP handshake between the receiver and the TV. So I go and connect the PC to the TV by itself and try to see if I can use ARC. However, I can not get the sound through the receiver. I also try using optical audio, but it'll only output stereo. I'm completely stuck now.

Okay, it appears that my 6-year-old receiver does not support Audio Return. I'm completely stuck on what to do now.

Also, I've pretty much given up on trying to get the mobile app to work. I'll have to fuck with it during the summer once I'm out of school. This is such a baffling design decision.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Any theories as to Black Friday deals on this TV? I'm getting impatient...BF can't come soon enough.

ymmv but if your credit card has price protection read up on it. most people take advantage of that during the holidays as it usually allows you to get price adjustments on things for 90 days. see it often on slick deals.

Been having problems with my set today and it may appear that certain apps will reset the settings for the display.

I have a digital UHD copy of Spidey Homecoming on Vudu so I started the app up and for the first time, I got a Dolby Vision notification rather than the standard HDR notification that pops up. The problem was the picture was really dark. I checked my settings: Bright, Dark Dolby, 100 Contrast, 50 Brightness, 100 Backlight. Looked fine there.

I jump to my FandangoNow library using the native tv channel, launch Spidey there. Picture is crisp, good brightness, not dark, same settings. Problem here is the screen cuts off and goes to that popcorn / no signal screen off and on. App appears to be bunk.

I then jump back to the native Vudu app, no notification, no dolby. still dark picture, my settings are reset and no option to choose Dolby (just movie). I try my UHD copies of Guardians 2 and Arrival on Vudu, and can't get either to play in 4K / HDR. A quick check in the Vudu settings show that 4K resolution is still my default setting.

I need to test my 4K discs and see if i notice any changes there.

The only other thing I can think of is my broadband is being bottlenecked?

//ARCANUM

Been having problems with my set today and it may appear that certain apps will reset the settings for the display.

I have a digital UHD copy of Spidey Homecoming on Vudu so I started the app up and for the first time, I got a Dolby Vision notification rather than the standard HDR notification that pops up. The problem was the picture was really dark. I checked my settings: Bright, Dark Dolby, 100 Contrast, 50 Brightness, 100 Backlight. Looked fine there.

I jump to my FandangoNow library using the native tv channel, launch Spidey there. Picture is crisp, good brightness, not dark, same settings. Problem here is the screen cuts off and goes to that popcorn / no signal screen off and on. App appears to be bunk.

I then jump back to the native Vudu app, no notification, no dolby. still dark picture, my settings are reset and no option to choose Dolby (just movie). I try my UHD copies of Guardians 2 and Arrival on Vudu, and can't get either to play in 4K / HDR. A quick check in the Vudu settings show that 4K resolution is still my default setting.

I need to test my 4K discs and see if i notice any changes there.

The only other thing I can think of is my broadband is being bottlenecked?

Not sure if this helps, but the TV has completely different settings for each “mode”. 4K settings, HDR settings, Dolby Vision settings (yes HDR and DV have different settings), so you have to set everything up for each, both on the tv and the app. It sucks but once it’s all set up properly it looks great. We watch stuff on Vudu 4K DV all the time and it looks fantastic.

Not sure if this helps, but the TV has completely different settings for each “mode”. 4K settings, HDR settings, Dolby Vision settings (yes HDR and DV have different settings), so you have to set everything up for each, both on the tv and the app. It sucks but once it’s all set up properly it looks great. We watch stuff on Vudu 4K DV all the time and it looks fantastic.

Have you watched anything in the last couple of days? All my movies are dark now. The night scenes in Spider-Man were unwatchable

I think the native vudu app on the tv had a bad revision. Specifically, selecting the UHD setting makes it go near pitch black. Changing it to HDX brings back the color and appropriate contrast and brightness. All same TV settings

//ARCANUM

Have you watched anything in the last couple of days? All my movies are dark now. The night scenes in Spider-Man were unwatchable

I think the native vudu app on the tv had a bad revision. Specifically, selecting the UHD setting makes it go near pitch black. Changing it to HDX brings back the color and appropriate contrast and brightness. All same TV settings

Oh crazy! No I haven’t tried in the past couple days. Man that would suck if they screwed it up. We watch most of our 4K stuff on Vudu. I’ll have to check it out tomorrow. :(

RedAssedApe

Banned
Anyone playing shadow of war? Ugh. Some of those gray transition screens really highlight the uniformity issues. That combined with the narrow viewing angle resulting in brighter columns on left and right edges of the screen :

Oh crazy! No I haven’t tried in the past couple days. Man that would suck if they screwed it up. We watch most of our 4K stuff on Vudu. I’ll have to check it out tomorrow. :(

same. let me know. during the movie, go to the vudu menu bar at bottom and switch between hdx and uhd. does screen get darker / brighter?

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Forgive me if I have missed this in the rather lengthy thread - I am about to pull the trigger on the 43' version - I don't have space for the 55 - and wanted to know if there were any thoughts here on it. Gets pretty darn good scores from RT.

Ashby

Forgive me if I have missed this in the rather lengthy thread - I am about to pull the trigger on the 43' version - I don't have space for the 55 - and wanted to know if there were any thoughts here on it. Gets pretty darn good scores from RT.
There is only the 55in model of this tv.

Klocker

some more info about the forthcoming Roku OS update:

https://blog.roku.com/pages/roku-os-8-release-notes

This stood out to me

This sounds like it'll help with judder?

Thx this is nice feature aslo

TV Everywhere (TVE) single sign-on – TVE single sign-on, a partnership with Adobe, is available for those customers who are pay TV subscribers, we now have single sign-on for a large selection of TVE streaming channels to eliminate the need to log into TVE channels multiple times. If you subscribe to Dish, Cox, AT&T or any of hundreds of other pay TV providers, you can now enjoy the convenience of single sign-on when using 30 TVE streaming channels on the Roku platform. Click here for more information

NESpowerhouse

Yeah, I'm still having trouble getting my PC to display on my TV through 1.4 mode. Somehow, I managed to get it to appear yesterday once when I rebooted the PC in safe mode. However, the sound still wouldn't work. At least this time the windows sound manager displayed that it was using the Denon receiver as the audio device. However, there was still no sound coming out through the receiver. As soon as I changed the HDMI mode back to 1.4 from another one though, the screen returns to being blank. Otherwise in 2.0 mode, Nvidia control panel is still displaying the connection as DVI when In reality it's HDMI, and it is not giving me any options to change the audio device. Again, just to reiterate, I cannot use audio return as my receiver does not support it for some dumb reason. Does anyone think this might be fixable without getting a new receiver?

VLEXP

I've had an old as LG tv for the past 8 years or so, I think I'm finally going to bite and purchase this tv this weekend. Do the Roku tv apps have 4k playback? Such as Netflix, youtube, and Hulu?

I've had an old as LG tv for the past 8 years or so, I think I'm finally going to bite and purchase this tv this weekend. Do the Roku tv apps have 4k playback? Such as Netflix, youtube, and Hulu?
I can only confirm yes for Netflix and YouTube as I don't have hulu. You do have to pay for a more expensive Netflix account if you want 4k. It's really nice not haviing to turn my ps4 on just to watch some YouTube videos. The twitch app is really great as well except that as far as I can tell you can't view chat. Giant bomb have an app as well that's just ok. It takes forever to load the app and the videos are displayed in a weird order.

Yeah, I'm still having trouble getting my PC to display on my TV through 1.4 mode. Somehow, I managed to get it to appear yesterday once when I rebooted the PC in safe mode. However, the sound still wouldn't work. At least this time the windows sound manager displayed that it was using the Denon receiver as the audio device. However, there was still no sound coming out through the receiver. As soon as I changed the HDMI mode back to 1.4 from another one though, the screen returns to being blank. Otherwise in 2.0 mode, Nvidia control panel is still displaying the connection as DVI when In reality it's HDMI, and it is not giving me any options to change the audio device. Again, just to reiterate, I cannot use audio return as my receiver does not support it for some dumb reason. Does anyone think this might be fixable without getting a new receiver?

Every problem I had getting a picture and sound from my PC to this TV through a receiver was solved with a new HDMI cable. Make sure you try that.

DirtyLarry

Been a long time since I have posted in this thread but that is because overall I am super happy with my purchase, especially for the price and also especially after I received my dead pixel less replacement from Best Buy.

The reason I am posting is I am very curious to know if anyone has ever figured out the TV code or Model # that one needs to put in to get the XBox One OS to recognize this TV and control it?

I use Cortana to control all of my devices and prior to this TV I was able to also turn on and turn off my TV using XBox One and voice commands "Cortana, XBox On" & "Cortana, XBox Off" respectively, but I have not been able to figure out what the code is for this TV on the One OS, and I just tried again earlier today. The database has some other TCL Roku apps, and I tried a few of them, but still no luck.

Any help in this department would be extremely appreciated.

Klocker

Been a long time since I have posted in this thread but that is because overall I am super happy with my purchase, especially for the price and also especially after I received my dead pixel less replacement from Best Buy.

The reason I am posting is I am very curious to know if anyone has ever figured out the TV code or Model # that one needs to put in to get the XBox One OS to recognize this TV and control it?

I use Cortana to control all of my devices and prior to this TV I was able to also turn on and turn off my TV using XBox One and voice commands "Cortana, XBox On" & "Cortana, XBox Off" respectively, but I have not been able to figure out what the code is for this TV on the One OS, and I just tried again earlier today. The database has some other TCL Roku apps, and I tried a few of them, but still no luck.

Any help in this department would be extremely appreciated.

T0885 is the code you are looking for.

NESpowerhouse

Every problem I had getting a picture and sound from my PC to this TV through a receiver was solved with a new HDMI cable. Make sure you try that.

I tried that with a multitude of cables. No dice. :/

RedAssedApe

Banned
How this TV can be Dolby vision compatible when the X900E cannot be ? ...
They paid Dolby the licensing fee so that it can be used. Sony has it in their higher end tvs so I’m thinking the hardware isn’t good enough to do it or they don’t want to pay the fee since for your average person hdr10 is good enough.

Top Bottom