• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Ninja: We went "hands-on" to get breast physics right in DOA5

The characters... with enormous breasts, skimpy clothes and non-athletic physique? Voices that of 12-year olds and "team dedicated to bring you the best bags of sands possible".

None of this implies that women are lesser beings than men. If it does please educate me.
Right now all I'm getting out of this is that women make good eye candy. Its not saying that they can't be doctors, or presidents, or that they can't reach a status as high as men.

Shinta

Banned
The characters... with enormous breasts, skimpy clothes and non-athletic physique? Voices that of 12-year olds and "team dedicated to bring you the best bags of sands possible".

Honestly, I saw skimpier clothes watching the Olympics ...

Check out Boner Magee 2nd from the left:

original.jpg

XeroSauce

Look, I respect the fact that they try to make women more realistic and try their best to appeal to the majority of gamers (males).

But how do you take a character seriously when they are almost buck naked with breasts moving in irregular patterns? How do you respect that?

And it sucks because DoA as a fighting game is actually really great, and then it's rep to the general public is marred by this for no reason. I'm all for sexy women (or sexy characters in general) but give me a break.

Half the time someone casual picks a female character in DoA is to see how their breasts bounce. That's not right.

zoukka

Did you see a lot of DD cups? Did you see many "non-athletic" people participating?

Now I'm not even mad about this game, but some of you just play dumb.

None of this implies that women are lesser beings than men. If it does please educate me.
Right now all I'm getting out of this is that women make good eye candy.

It strongly smells like sexual objectification and gender roles. While the men are muscular and clearly the "martial arts" kind of people, the women are modelled just for the eye candy you mentioned and their fighting prowess is magic.

Right now all I'm getting out of this is that women make good eye candy. Its not saying that they can't be doctors, or presidents, or that they can't reach a status as high as men.

Please tell me is a joke post...

jett

D-Member
Zoukka brings up an interesting point about DOA character design, none of them have an athletic build, or fighter build, not even remotely. That's why they look so weird for the neck down. The outfits don't help either. From the neck up things have improved massively compared to previous games, but they still look a bit strange.

Check out Boner Magee 2nd from the left:

original.jpg

LOL i guess he was really excited to get dat medal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think sexist would be if all the female characters were low tier and the men were all top tier.

Shinta

Banned
Did you see a lot of DD cups? Did you see many "non-athletic" people participating?

Now I'm not even mad about this game, but some of you just play dumb.

It's a fantasy game though. It's not duty bound to 100% realism. I'm not trying to play dumb. I get what you're saying. They don't all look like realistic female fighters. I agree. But so what? We're only pushing back because the more you have to define it, the more it becomes obvious how we're arguing over the tiniest, most inconsequential content.

sleepykyo

... I know i should ignore this silliness.... but....
Now this is the definition of a major franchise. Nobody knew this definition so thank you. Thank you for enlighten us.

Yes, I arbitrarily pulled a number out of my arse. If I didn't it just becomes I don't see DoA as major franchise and you do. You still haven't provided any reasoning for DoA being a major franchise other than it suits your claim that DoA should be representative of the game industry.

Oersted

The approach is:
Hayashi said that all the team wanted to do was create "the cutest chicks in videogames," and he feels DOA5 achieves that.
They achieved it with a breast bouncing-feature. If you still not getting it...

Westlo

I'll like to reward these hard working devs who always go the extra mile with my cash.

Holy shit, not American at all... but goddamn... USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

As Namco keeps improving gameplay and feature sets in Tekken Tag 2, Team Ninja is feeling boobs and jerking it to their own work.

I'll pass on DoA (again).

Snoop Lion? 150 Bikini's? Or is this stuff just forgotten just as is the gameplay mechanic discussions for this game?

The Tekken girls shoulders are waaaaaaay too broad, Tina smokes all of them by herself.

Look, I respect the fact that they try to make women more realistic and try their best to appeal to the majority of gamers (males).

But how do you take a character seriously when they are almost buck naked with breasts moving in irregular patterns? How do you respect that?

And it sucks because DoA as a fighting game is actually really great, and then it's rep to the general public is marred by this for no reason. I'm all for sexy women (or sexy characters in general) but give me a break.

Half the time someone casual picks a female character in DoA is to see how their breasts bounce. That's not right.

I understand that its a little weird that Team Ninja has gone so far to make sure that the tits in their games are so realistic. Yeah, its a bit awkward.
But one of DoA's main selling points has been that it has one of the most attractive rosters in fighting games.
They're capitalizing on this. Whats wrong with it? Whats wrong with making all their characters sexy? How is this sexist?

Yes, I arbitrarily pulled a number out of my arse. If I didn't it just becomes I don't see DoA as major franchise and you do. You still haven't provided any reasoning for DoA being a major franchise other than it suits your claim that DoA should be representative of the game industry.

Had 5 iterations, some spin offs, a decent in size fandom, one of the ex key developers was well regarded to the point of having a game for his name alone (even if it was canned), the studio was involved in a Key Nintendo Franchise (even if they killed)...

XeroSauce

I understand that its a little weird that Team Ninja has gone so far to make sure that the tits in their games are so realistic. Yeah, its a bit awkward.
But one of DoA's main selling points has been that it has one of the most attractive rosters in fighting games.
They're capitalizing on this. Whats wrong with it? Whats wrong with making all their characters sexy? How is this sexist?

I never said it was sexist; I just wish there was better way of them going "LOOK WE GOT REALISTIC BREAST PHYSICS FUCK YEA" because it comes off as real shoddy and underwhelming considering they could have just as well talking about some game mechanic instead.
Nothing wrong with having it, don't parade it around like it's the biggest reason for the game.

EDIT: Like it was said earlier, these games have an audience. That's fine.

patapuf

The most hilarious thing about this issue is that they have been talking about their gameplay stuff for months but as soon as they mention breasts this becomes the longest thread about the game.

i wonder whose maturity needs to be questioned.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I never said it was sexist; I just wish there was better way of them going "LOOK WE GOT REALISTIC BREAST PHYSICS FUCK YEA" because it comes off as real shoddy and underwhelming considering they could have just as well talking about some game mechanic instead.
Nothing wrong with having it, don't parade it around like it's the biggest reason for the game.
They have been talking about the game mechanics. Did you miss Skilletor's post?

The most hilarious thing about this issue is that they have been talking about their gameplay stuff for months but as soon as they mention breasts this becomes the longest thread about the game.

i wonder whose maturity needs to be questioned.

Thats what I was about to ask. Haven't then BEEN talking about the game mechanics?

Oersted

DoA is a brand out there for other twenty years, with over 15 games , couple of books, couple of merchandise and so on. If you are still convinced that doa is not a major franchise, well then you are pretty much alone with your denial of facts. There is actually even a real-action movie out there. The characters have more depth and even an arc. They are still considered dumb.

Look dude, I'm seriously trying to figure out what people are finding sexist. I want to understand.

It isn't demeaning to women to to model breasts, even if they are gargantuan like Tina's. Nor is it demeaning to want to have your female characters have soft, supple infant like skin

I mean, this is something, but it's not sexist

Team Ninja gonna Ninja

It isn't demeaning to women to to model breasts, even if they are gargantuan like Tina's. Nor is it demeaning to want to have your female characters have soft, supple infant like skin

Team Ninja gonna Ninja

Its perversion. Which can be argued for immaturity, sure, but not sexism.

sleepykyo

Had 5 iterations, some spin offs, a decent in size fandom, one of the ex key developers was well regarded to the point of having a game for his name alone (even if it was canned), the studio was involved in a Key Nintendo Franchise (even if they killed)...

1.2 mil over 4 years ago and an underperforming handheld release.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/hayashi-keen-dead-or-alive-crossover

We believe we squeezed pretty much all of the horsepower out of the 3DS that we could have, really," he said. "In the performance sense we believe it was a great title. We hoped people would be playing more portable consoles out there but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I'd have agreed back in 2006, but the series has been largely irrelevant since 2008.

Oersted

You know that breast bouncing-feature are not the only to approach characters. And not the only way to make them sexy?

Risette

A Good Citizen

Team Ninja gonna Ninja
It's trashy.

But it's okay to be trashy.

You know that breast bouncing-feature are not the only to approach characters. And not the only way to make them sexy?
I think your reading comprehension is not good if that's what you got from the interview.

zoukka

It's a fantasy game though. It's not duty bound to 100% realism. I'm not trying to play dumb. I get what you're saying. They don't all look like realistic female fighters. I agree. But so what? We're only pushing back because the more you have to define it, the more it becomes obvious how we're arguing over the tiniest, most inconsequential content.

"So what?" Is that an argument? I gave you guys reasons why I think the game clearly is sexist and objectifies women, I didn't even comment whether I find it detrimental to the game itself.

"It's not sexist"

"Provides arguments why it's sexist"

"So what"

Not my problem.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
People like to argue about controversial subjects but not necessary condone it?

Some people like to condone, some people like to acknowledge, some people like to deny.

I like to acknowledge.

patapuf

i'm not really trying to attack anyone. It's just incredible how effective the marketing ploy is.

The creators can talk about mechanics all day long as soon as he says "We have great tits!!!!!" everyone comes running.

And this still works, in every media, every time.

Some people like to condone, some people like to acknowledge, some people like to deny.

I like to acknowledge.

I like to acknowledge that sexist statements should be called for
i'm not really trying to attack anyone. It's just incredible how effective the marketing ploy is.

The creators can talk about mechanics all day long as soon as he says "We have great tits!!!!!" everyone comes running.

And this still works, in every media, every time. But let's argue about the maturity of breast physics.

Is still shitty and laughable?

Like to elaborate on why I think it's ridiculous to call Team Ninja and their series stupid? You need somebody to elaborate why that's a childish way to handle discourse?

... okay... sorry for not having the same standards of rhetoric of Team Ninja and their Hand Ons" in controversial subjects

(for the record, I didn't call DOA stupid)

Top Bottom