• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Ninja: We went "hands-on" to get breast physics right in DOA5

kinda sad that nobody gives two shits about the fighting mechanics and how this may be the only competitive DOA to be release outside a minority of people. No discussion about the game changes, no talk about the step towards competitive play. Nope, but boobs and bikinis get the most talk.

Shinta

Banned
"So what"

Not my problem.

Again, I get what you're saying. But I thought you provided arguments why it's not realistic. I agree, it's not realistic. I didn't see arguments about why it's sexist.

If you think about it, non-athletic girls stomping ripped guys kind of implies that girls are stronger, not weaker. I just don't think it's actually sexist, and that people throw that word around far too frequently without specifically pinning down how that word applies.

Thanks for actually trying to answer though.

LiK

The original DOA got attention cuz of the boob slider. This is just tradition.

ITAGAKI AM CRY FOR DAUGHTERS

kinda sad that nobody gives two shits about the fighting mechanics and how this may be the only competitive DOA to be release outside a minority of people. No discussion about the game changes, no talk about the step towards competitive play. Nope, but boobs and bikinis get the most talk.
the op said:
In an exclusive interview with PSU, Team Ninja producer Yosuke Hayashi said the development team went "hands-on" with partners and other members of the Japanese studio in order to get the breast physics right for its upcoming brawler Dead Or Alive 5. That’s right; the team put an awful lot of attention on that specific “feature” of the game.

TaroYamada

... okay... sorry for not having the same standards of rhetoric of Team Ninja and their Hand Ons" in controversial subjects

(for the record, I didn't call DOA stupid)

What standards they used when they explained breast physics don't matter, entirely different context. When they discussed their breast physics they weren't attacking anybody or anything, merely explaining a popular aspect of the product they are developing to a magazine that was interviewing them.

Oersted

I didn't see arguments about why it's sexist.

In an exclusive interview with PSU, Team Ninja producer Yosuke Hayashi said the development team went "hands-on" with partners and other members of the Japanese studio in order to get the breast physics right for its upcoming brawler Dead Or Alive 5. That’s right; the team put an awful lot of attention on that specific “feature” of the game.

Are you serious?

A sexist approach is not a sexist approach because somebody did it?

Not what I'm saying at all.
I talked about DoA and its characters being sexy. You said its not the only way to approach characters and its not the only way to make the sexy. I agree, its not the only way, but it is ONE way, and its the way the Team Ninja chose.
My question is, whats wrong with this? Tell me why its sexist. Tell me whats the problem with realistic boob physics. I recognize that its perverted. So what?

zoukka

Again, I get what you're saying. But I thought you provided arguments why it's not realistic. I agree, it's not realistic. I didn't see arguments about why it's sexist.

If you think about it, non-athletic girls stomping ripped guys kind of implies that girls are stronger, not weaker. I just don't think it's actually sexist, and that people throw that word around far too frequently without specifically pinning down how that word applies.

Thanks for actually trying to answer though.

Well if the women are exclusively treated like this in the game and the men can be anything from creepy old men to buffed soldiers, then yeah it's sexist. Gender roles can be seen underneath it all too I guess.

Tell me whats the problem with realistic boob physics. I recognize that its perverted. So what?

I feel like I'm in bizarroland. The boob physics are as realistic as their facial structure. And if the boobs looked and acted realistically, why would it be perverted? Wouldn't it be the other way around.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I talked about DoA and its characters being sexy. You said its not the only way to approach characters and its not the only way to make the sexy. I agree, its not the only way, but it is ONE way, and its the way the Team Ninja chose.
My question is, whats wrong with this? Tell me why its sexist. Tell me whats the problem with realistic boob physics. I recognize that its perverted. So what?
They didn't just use boob physics to reach their goal. They also focused on conveying the softness of the girl's skin!

Emitan

You just said that they're focusing on a very perverted aspect of their game in the same post questioning why people think the game is sexist.

Think about this.

You just said that they're focusing on a very perverted aspect of their game in the same post questioning why people think the game is sexist.

Think about this.

Perversion isn't sexism.
I can want a girl, I can want to do all kinds of dirty nasty things to her and at the same time think of her as more than just an object of my desires.

What standards they used when they explained breast physics don't matter, entirely different context. When they discussed their breast physics they weren't attacking anybody or anything, merely explaining a popular aspect of the product they are developing to a magazine that was interviewing them.

They were just inadvertently objectivate his female co workers.

TaroYamada

Are you serious?

If it was purely voluntary I also don't see that as sexist. If there was some implication that refusal would make it so female staff were less preferred for promotions/raises or they would be let go, then yes, but if it was purely optional? I don't see that as sexist.

DR2K

Banned
Kind of funny how this gets more resonates more interest than any TTT2 or DOA5 gameplay thread.

Valnen

If it was purely voluntary I also don't see that as sexist. If there was some implication that refusal would make it so female staff were less preferred for promotions/raises or they would be let go, then yes, but if it was purely optional? I don't see that as sexist.

Hell, what if it was a female staff member's idea to begin with? I could totally see that happening from some of the people I know.

Shinta

Banned
Well if the women are exclusively treated like this in the game and the men can be anything from creepy old men to buffed soldiers, then yeah it's sexist. Gender roles can be seen underneath it all too I guess.

Dead or Alive 4 had Nicole-458, from the Halo series, the most buff soldier in the game. Also the final boss is Alpha 152, a synthetic robot being with super strength.

203012-dead_or_alive_4_20051021052815940_large.jpg

And Hitomi doesn't look like a non-athletic DD. She honestly looks like an athletic female martial artist.

0888.jpg

They actually toned down most of the bust size in this game significantly, not that I think that they had to.

Bragging about objectifying women is sexism.

I think they are a lot of ways how that quote could be read. I don't see it as bragging bout objectifying women. They put a lot of work into a technical aspect of that game, an aspect of the game that IS a big draw. DoA has always been about attractive characters. People like breasts. So they throw attention towards the breasts.
Its not like these women are JUST there for the tits, they have stories, personalities, and backgrounds that are just as interesting as the men in the roster. But they take time to make sure the women look good (just as they do a lot of the dudes).

Dantis

My thoughts exactly. We have this amazing looking game coming out, and everybody focuses on a dumb interview with someone barely involved with the game.

zoukka

Dead or Alive 4 had Nicole-458, from the Halo series, the most buff soldier in the game. Also the final boss is Alpha 152, a synthetic robot being with super strength.

And Hitomi doesn't look like a non-athletic DD. She honestly looks like an athletic female martial artist.

They actually toned down most of the bust size in this game significantly, not that I think that they had to.

So you found a Ms Chief, a robot and one woman character that doesn't have as big of breasts as the other characters (still very far from athletic), I guess it's not so bad after all.

Shinta

Banned
So you found a Ms Chief, a robot and one woman character that doesn't have as big of breasts as the other characters (still very far from athletic), I guess it's not so bad after all.

All you found is one soldier and one old guy. I think you're trying extremely hard to think of a reason why we should be offended when there isn't one.

Metrotab

Banned
A developer paying attention to a particular brand of fanservice they have come to be associated with, and doing so in full openness and honesty. A creative choice they have made and are seemingly passionate about.

I don't see the problem really.

zoukka

All you found is one soldier and one old guy. I think you're trying extremely hard to think of a reason why we should be offended when there isn't one.

I'm not offended. Just here to provide some other angles besides "So what" and "Nothing wrong with anything".

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Was there a time when people didn't care about that breast physics were part of DoA and didn't make a big deal out of it?

RpgN

Didn't they say they'd focus less on boobs and instead focus on getting it more realistic with sweating and dirt, when it was first announced? What a load of bullshit that turned out to be.

As a DoA fan, it's been difficult and painful to continue following the series. I could try and ignore the pandering in Ultimate, 3 and Dimensions (there was less of that in those games) but 4 was terrible, and it seems 5 is going to continue adding more to it. I can no longer play DoA games with a straight face and will not support this bullshit any longer. It's a shame since I really enjoy the system, graphics and the way the levels are designed.

Was there a time when people didn't care about that breast physics were part of DoA and didn't make a big deal out of it?

DOA was never a good competitive game outside a version that you had to mod your xbox if you weren't in japan as far as I'm aware. (doa3.1)

But it made waves with it character models and sold well probably because of it.

DR2K

Banned
Didn't they say they'd focus less on boobs and instead focus on getting it more realistic with sweating and dirt, when it was first announced? What a load of bullshit that turned out to be.

As a DoA fan, it's been difficult and painful to continue following the series. I could try and ignore the pandering in Ultimate, 3 and Dimensions (there was less of that in those games) but 4 was terrible, and it seems 5 is going to continue adding more to it. I can no longer play DoA games with a straight face and will not support this bullshit any longer. It's a shame since I really enjoy the system, graphics and the way the levels are designed.

...but they are focusing on realism, they just mentioned breasts and you're over reacting.

Dantis

They were doing that, then NG3 bombed.

I have no idea why Hayashi making a dumbass comment about boobs would stop you playing the game though. Especially considering he's just the producer.

Pimpbaa

A DOA fan who's offended by polygonal tits. That makes no sense. Big bouncing boobs have been part of the series since DOA1.

RpgN

...but they are focusing on realism, they just mentioned breasts and you're over reacting.

That doesn't look like focusing less on the boobs, it's still the same or even more in your face. I've also seen that terrible trailer with 'bunny' outfits not too long ago. To hear them talk like that and focus too much on that, is too much to bear. They're aimed at males and expecting everyone to like and want that, I'm not their target audience and was just fooling myself with their less offending previous entries.

Dantis said:
They were doing that, then NG3 bombed.

I have no idea why Hayashi making a dumbass comment about boobs would stop you playing the game though. Especially considering he's just the producer.

That game had more problems that were beyond fixing. It bombed for being a bad game.

See my post above why. Btw, I didn't like how TTT2 has been focusing on bikinis too lately, but at least the characters themselves don't look offending and there is more variety there.

RpgN

A DOA fan who's offended by polygonal tits. That makes no sense. Big bouncing boobs have been part of the series since DOA1.

Well, I know it was a big selling point when they were first released but I could deal with it more. I suppose because the graphics weren't advanced enough and they weren't so blunt about it back then. For instance, the cutscenes having less fanservice in DoA Ultimate and 3. Dimensions had none of it. The only fanservice was the outfits and the boobs, the outfits I could control and ignore more and the boobs were less impressive, lol.

Jawmuncher

Well, I know it was a big selling point when they were first released but I could deal with it more. I suppose because the graphics weren't advanced enough and they weren't so blunt about it back then. For instance, the cutscenes having less fanservice in DoA Ultimate and 3. Dimensions had none of it. The only fanservice was the outfits and the boobs, the outfits I could control and ignore more and the boobs were less impressive, lol.

Only because they wanted that T rating for the 3DS.

DR2K

Banned
That doesn't look like focusing less on the boobs, it's still the same or even more in your face. I've also seen that terrible trailer with 'bunny' outfits not too long ago. To hear them talk like that and focus too much on that, is too much to bear. They're aimed at males and expecting everyone to like and want that, I'm not their target audience and was just fooling myself with their less offending previous entries.

It's been considerbly less, with their primary focus being on tournament player input and adding more depth to the entire combat system. Hence the inclusion of VF and the input from AM2 and competitive DOA players worldwide. This game isn't about tits, yeah they're there, but so is the sweat and dirt and all the other incredible minute details. Sex sells, both Tekken and DOA are using it as preorder bonuses. It's not very revealing nor is it required for either game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Until they get Vaginal and Scrotum Balance... No Sale

I need to know if the character's boys or girls are safe

Those move can hurt the polys and tear it asunder =C

Top Bottom