• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#TeamCG vs. #TeamReal thread, a thread of crow buffets and madmen dreams

So who was Mogren?

Well duuuuuhhhhhhh:

kiefer_sutherland_091.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Never followed the thread, voted TeamCG on a whim for fun, but some of you guys (on both "sides") took this way too seriously.

What happened to having fun? :S

What's the point in a debate if everything's "just for funsies"?

From the looks of it, either people are backing away from the losing position or practically no one actually believed he was CG.

Sephzilla

I wanted to buy into it being CG, but oh well. But yeah, all of the people saying "There's no proof either way" need to chill out and come to grips with reality a little bit. If nothing was mentioned about the Joakim video, then likely it wasn't that important.

I still say something is "up" with that Joakim video though. There's a few things done in that video to deliberately make you think something is strange about it, and I can't believe all of that would just be for a quick link between TPP and Fox Engine. If it was just to give the idea that the whole Moby Dick studios thing was just a hoax I dont think Kojima would be so deliberate about it like that.

i-want-to-believe.jpg

ADPolice

Neo Member
Poor team CG. I have to admit it would have been amazing had it been really a brilliant marketing move.

If only dreams came true and life wasn't full of constant disappointment and failure....

If only life held some jem of joy or glimmering glint of hope....

But no, the universe has heard your cries and cast you aside with indifference and scorn.

As I depart this thread forever, never to look back at the wreckage left in its wake, I leave these words of wisdom to you that were once spoken by the wise and tempered John Noble:

"Go now and die in what way seems best to you."

images-1.jpg

To everyone saying it of course the video is questionable and strange. The whole thing is a tongue in cheek hoax. It's not going to play out like a normal interview.

Kudos to all who kept track between who was on teamcg and teamreal.

Not to be cruel, but I'm guessing teamCG was comprised entirely of console gamers. Much like TeamReal vs TeamCG in the Capcom Deep Down thread. Only I guess it's kind of flipped around there between what it means to be on TeamReal and TeamCG for that game.

demidar

From the looks of it, either people are backing away from the losing position or practically no one actually believed he was CG.

Some Realers are taking this a bit too hard, despite being the victors. What happened in that 140+ thread I'll never know, but clearly patiences wore thin.

FluxWaveZ

I'm sure a lot of people on #TeamReal wanted to believe he was CG as well because that would be amazing. I know I wanted to believe. The only difference is that we're grounded in reality, like Kageshinzo mentioned.

Some Realers are taking this a bit too hard, despite being the victors. What happened in that 140+ thread I'll never know, but clearly patiences wore thin.

I take everything too hard, but I just find it amazing how people would present all of this "evidence" or their own versions of logic to explain how Joakim was CG while others just shook their head.

genjiZERO

Then you're going to live in denial until... when?

They're not going to address this theory. It's something that started on 4chan and ended up on GAF. We're the only people talking about this, because there was no evidence within the content of the video itself to suggest it. Kojima and Konami are probably not even aware of its existence, because it was beyond the scope of what they ever suggested, or even intended.

The interview was supposed to be a playful revelation of the Phantom Pain-Fox Engine connection (and therefore Moby Dick Studios and Konami's connection). It was never intended to be anything more.

Oh, I'm not in denial. I'm just annoyed by the misuse of logic by TeamReal. I'm fine with declaring TeamReal the winner, but I feel like that's what it is... declaring it a win. It's a boxing match that went to a decision. But there was no KO.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Not to be cruel, but I'm guessing teamCG was comprised entirely of console gamers. Much like TeamReal vs TeamCG in the Capcom Deep Down thread. Only I guess it's kind of flipped around there between what it means to be on TeamReal and TeamCG for that game.

Tell that to Derrick,lol.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I never called anyone names. But I defend the rights of people who do.

I can't tell you just how strange that sounds. Insulting is insulting, whether it's justified or not. You keep fighting the good fight for those like to call names.

Sephzilla

I'm sure a lot of people on #TeamReal wanted to believe he was CG as well because that would be amazing. I know I wanted to believe. The only difference is that we're grounded in reality, like Kageshinzo mentioned.

Meh, I guess I was #TeamCG but I wasn't going to be heartbroken if it was real or anything. There was enough weird stuff in that video to at least give some kind of doubt, so I just went with it because being a party pooper is lame.

The Lamp

Well you're wrong since I PC game.

Looks like you're on #TeamWrong

jaypah

nope, I literally thought he was CG. He wasn't, and now I eat crow. Big whoop. That's not even the first time I've been wrong today! #teamcg

Tookay

I can't tell you just how strange that sounds. Insulting is insulting, whether it's justified or not. You keep fighting the good fight for those like to call names.

I will.

When people are being idiotic and stand by their delusion, others can call them out for it.

Just like how you guys can call us "dreamcrushers," "Debbie Downers," or whatever.

We're all adults here, we can call a spade a spade.

Nopes. PC gamer here.

fallagin

Nope, I'm a pc gamer. And because you are wrong you have revealed the fatal flaw in teamreal. Everyone on teamreal THINKS teamCG are all console gamers. Thus you have revealed that joakim mogren is in reality CG.

I never called anyone names. But I defend the rights of people who do.
My opinion isn't important or anything.

But I think it would be nicer if people refrained from as much name calling on this site as possible. In joke name calling can be okay if everyone knows it is a joke. But beyond that it just isn't, well... not so nice?

But there's plenty of places on the internet for that sort of thing.

abrack08

Posted this in the other thread, would go well here too

My favorite CGers

I'm willing to be banned for a month if it turns out to be real. ;)

I can see a lot of errors in the animation.

I'm not trying to cop out, but it's hard for me to explain what I'm seeing.

The tangents in the animation look too clean for me. There's simply not enough weight involved with the eye movements, and the head motion looks very mocap to me.

It's still very impressive though.

I just popped in to the thread like 20 minutes ago and immediately noticed it was CG.

Team CG here.

Both softened their stances later, but still...

(Apparently Derrick voted #TeamReal in the poll... doesn't erase the shameful first few posts though :p)

unless he's a reptile, his eyes shouldn't do what they did in the animated gif in this thread, very possible it was a back and forth (cg and real)
otherwise..what was the purpose of the interview? Jaded gamers.

there's no way EVERY shot in that interview was real, there was CG in there as well for sure, those are my thoughts on the matter.

This was never going to be a satisfying victory though, too much "oh well, hope/fun!!!"

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Didn't think it was CG, but voted that way anyways just for the hell of it
I only voted without giving it much thought and never really posted, but you know what? It's fucking gif time. I'll move on. Have your fun TeamReal.

AlrightyThen.gif

#TeamCG, we'll be back in ten years, so hide yo gifs, hide Kojima

Never followed the thread, voted TeamCG on a whim for fun, but some of you guys (on both "sides") took this way too seriously.

What happened to having fun? :S

too late. You dun goofed.

GrayFoxPL

You guess wrong.

You should be TeamCG.

I just hope this whole "I'm shaming x side" thing is more of a lighthearted joke than anything. And isn't meant anywhere close to an honest attempt at shaming anyone.

I don't see how anything about this whole thing should be seen as serious to begin with.

Yeah, some of team REAL were being real assholes

We thought everyone was just being ironic but we were wrong. We realized some of you guys were really serious. WE tried to get you back to reality because you guys were starting to embarrass yourself. And if it meant being an asshole so you guys would be slapped back to reality, then so be it. We were being harsh because it was what was needed.

When you think about it, we actually cared.

Unfortunately, you guys didn't listen. And now, here you are. Broken and shamed. Tsk.

Dahbomb

Eyes too white, clearly CG.

See the comparison analysis:

9WnICua.png

pGNwNhI.png

Cleared up the Twitter image a little. Tried to offer more definition. No matter what I did there was no definable definition on the neck area.

Also worth noting that messing with the levels of the image showed some rather interesting artifacts on everything apart from his head. Suggesting a higher resolution image has been layered atop the low resolution body.

9GXNPVB.gif

Points worth noting:

• The upper eyelids only half drop. The attached skin doesn't move at all. (i.e. the eyebrow, the recess below the eyebrow)
  • The lower eyelids simply don't move. I don't know about you, but I can't move my upper eyelids independently of the lower. More-so, when you are shocked or taken aback by something, the natural is to winch/squint.
  • The point of light in his pupil doesn't move in relation to his head movement. In fact it's static within the pupil at all times.
  • The shadows around the bandages on the right of the image are not consistent with the head movement

>He and Dorito Pope are never in the same frame.
>You don't actually see him holding the iPad
>His face is mostly covered, so they can get an insane amount of detail by only needing to focus on the mouth and eyes
>He constantly keeps his eyes closed, because that's one of the hardest things to make look real
>Look at his left (OUR left, his RIGHT) cheek from 1:30 to 1:50 and it's beyond obvious
>He is in front of a black background and wears a black shirt so the shadows won't be a problem
>Face mask doesn't move at all like real material- sticks to his face, almost like it's a part of it. Almost like- a texture.
>His skin, ESPECIALLY his nose is shiny as fuck
>Look at the shadow on his righteye when he tilts his head at 2:03, it looks weird
>He talks with his teeth together so you don't see his fake-ass tongue

Further evidence:
http://schedule2013.gdconf.com/session-id/824166
http://www.peseditblog.com/2013/03/pes-2014-fox-engine-news-next-week-jon.html
http://www.edge-online.com/magazine...st-to-create-gamings-most-believable-visuals/

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l9s3e2
>The trailer I'm working on right now is totally different from latest "RISING" pre-launch trailer which has medley of cool cuts to give motivation for consumer. So this one will be plain and different in aspects or concepts.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l9rvgt
>Recently as technology progresses, we are now able to do "3D capture" internally by ourselves. But things were different in 17 years ago. This one was that we had to ask outside company to create my face mask in 3D at that time. I can easily predict this won't be nothing once 3D printer becomes accessible.

1363377791383c4uvy.jpg

Remember this FOX engine teaser? One is real one is FOX engine.

I smell a crow feast being prepared for the non-believers at GDC.

I'm #TeamCG. Give it to me Kojima.

I just popped in to the thread like 20 minutes ago and immediately noticed it was CG.

Team CG here.

Team CG.

If I'm wrong I will actually play a MGS game for the first time in over a decade.

I'm hyped for TeamReal to be shamed.

Team Real has naive eyes.

I'm willing to take the harshest of punishments if that dude is not CG.

#TeamCG

Give me your worst, GAF.

CLEAR YOUR DINNER PLANS TEAM REAL!

e1kPgzt.jpg

I'm willing to be banned for a month if it turns out to be real. ;)

I can see a lot of errors in the animation.

I've seen photoshops in the past.

I can tell by the pixels.

It's fake

#TeamCG

Give me the model, the mocap data, reference footage of the actor performing, and I could (it would take a while of course) achieve the same result.

Yep.

Compare Joakim to Geoff.

NIGHT AND DAY.

I'm so confident its CG that if its real ill take any avatar that TeamReal picks for 6 month

Edit: I would like TeamReals chosen champion to accept a similar fate.

Its clearly CG, Don't cry baby
Come GDC you will see

You picked the wrong team and now you wish it was all a dream
You picked the wrong team and now you wish it was all a dream

Those pixels and textures deceived your eyes
Forever will you be remembered as "those guys"

We tried to show you how wrong you were, When we said Those eyes! Dem Teeth! Dat Hair!
But you didn't care, how wrong you were

Team Real you just learned the meaning of "That Feel"
So now you must kneel and accept the truth

Don't be sad or mad because its not all bad
TeamCG may boast and laugh but in this end this is just NEOGAF

ih1wAXjk1juLd.gif

Look at the left eyelid. Take a close look.

Notice the weird shape it takes at the end of the loop?

Thats a vector not reacting to the movement of the motion capturing tracking ball that maybe sticked to his skin.

Just the first 50 pages.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
We thought everyone was just being ironic but we were wrong. We realized some of you guys were really serious. WE tried to get you back to reality because you guys were starting to embarrass yourself. And if it meant being an asshole so you guys would be slapped back to reality, then so be it. We were being harsh because it was what was needed.

When you think about it, we actually cared.

Unfortunately, you guys didn't listen. And now, here you are. Broken and shamed. Tsk.

Well spoken my Team Brethren.

FluxWaveZ

I just hope this whole "I'm shaming x side" thing is more of a lighthearted joke than anything. And isn't meant anywhere close to an honest attempt at shaming anyone.

I don't see how anything about this whole thing should be seen as serious to begin with.

No, I actually revel in the other side being wrong because of certain people who thought he was CG SO STRONGLY. If I was wrong that he was real, I would expect to be shamed as well.

Toma

Just the first 50 pages.

Haha, you fell for at least one ironic post in your wall of posts :p The first 30 pages especially were DEVIOUS with ironic joke traps.

jaypah

Posted this in the other thread, would go well here too

My favorite CGers

Both softened their stances later, but still...

This was never going to be a satisfying victory though, too much "oh well, hope/fun!!!"

Oh come on! I wrapped a towel around my head at work to simulate the "pull" of bandages on eyelids, then tried to do the half-blink in the mirror. I don't deserve to be on the delusional list? That's bullshit! i did actual research.

#teamcg

Toma

That just makes you wrong twice as bad as everyone else.

I'm never on TeamWrong. I'm the damn Owner, Coach, and General Manager of #TeamRightAllTime!

Random aside: isnt the whole TeamCG/Real a meme?

Dahbomb

Haha, you fell for at least one ironic post in your wall of posts :p The first 30 pages especially were DEVIOUS with ironic joke traps.
Man it was really hard to tell who was being serious or who was trolling/being ironic/sarcastic.

And there were a shit ton of users who were saying how it was CLEARLY CG as in they spotted it as soon as they saw it.

No, I actually revel in the other side being wrong because of certain people who thought he was CG SO STRONGLY. If I was wrong that he was real, I would expect to be shamed as well.
And that's why I don't take part in things like this.

I don't want to take part in a shaming over something as meaningless and inconsequential as a video game engine.

Tookay

In fairness, it sort of became hard to separate the trolls from the true believers.

And that's why I don't take part in things like this.

I don't want to take part in a shaming over something as meaningless and inconsequential as a video game engine.

Then a) don't invest in a 100+ page thread where you stake a position, and b) don't take the shaming so personally, especially considering the fact that it's about a video game engine.

You guys had your "fun," let us have our's.

Top Bottom