• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

cyborg009

Banned
area2_ss5.jpg

Why wouldn't I.

hohoXD123

If you've pre-ordered it, can you download the file already or does everyone still have to wait? When I try to download I keep getting an error message.

If you've pre-ordered it, can you download the file already or does everyone still have to wait? When I try to download I keep getting an error message.

I can't yet on my Vita because my payment hasn't gone through (they tried, but I had accidentally turned off automatic funding).

When I tried to download on my PS3, however, it was added to the queue, didn't actually see if it started downloading it though.

hohoXD123

I can't yet on my Vita because my payment hasn't gone through (they tried, but I had accidentally turned off automatic funding).

When I tried to download on my PS3, however, it was added to the queue, didn't actually see if it started downloading it though.
Yeah getting the same message though I have enough in my wallet.

Initially wasn't going to pick this up until much later on but after playing it at the eurogamer expo, I had to bite. Game looked amazing and very fun.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
is there an embargo on this? getting a the zelda 3dsxl this week but i could be swayed to pick this up too by some good reviews. looks super dope.

This really seems like it will be more of an action adventure game than a straight up platformer. Not that that's a problem. Gonna be fun switching between this and Zelda.

Shinta

Banned
I'm packed on the 22nd, but I intend to get this one soon after. I'm hoping it has really great reviews.

The vision for it, and the production values are off the charts. I just need to know if the gameplay is truly there.

Are we expecting the store to update at midnight for this going into Friday? (NA)
Also do we know what the PSN Avatars look like?

This really seems like it will be more of an action adventure game than a straight up platformer. Not that that's a problem. Gonna be fun switching between this and Zelda.

It doesn't get super platforming nor actiony until the latter half of the game. So keep that in mind, because the early goings has a certain pace and rhythm to it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My man! I know there is customization to Iota and Atoi but dang it, how can I customize something like this:

atoi_main_poster_thumb.jpg

Her design looks way nicer than Iota!

yeah, for sure.

anyone else really looking forward to the instagram feature? gonna upload some sweet pictures, get the game some exposure & do it with Atoi so the creator's see what a good idea it was making a cool female protaganist

Hasney

Just got that UK bundle that was posted about earlier and cannot wait to get on this.

Curious, after this comes out, are there any Vita games left to look forward to?

Tizoc

Just got that UK bundle that was posted about earlier and cannot wait to get on this.

Curious, after this comes out, are there any Vita games left to look forward to?

Sure is!
The PS Vita is region free so you can always get US, Asia or JPN retail Vita games =)
Keep in mind that DLC is region locked though.
This coming February will have Dangan Ronpa 1 releasing in EU and US, a gripping Adventure/Visual Novel game.
Oh and Stick it to the man is releasing on Vita by December and is 8 Pounds on EU PSN for example.

Since you're a new Vita member, do you have PS Plus? Def. consider getting one since deleting a Vita game from your system also deletes the save data for it. Stupid oversight from Sony yeah, but with Plus you can back up your saves via the internet.

Either way, Vitas can only have 1 PSN account atm, so if you made an EU PSN account, def. check out the PSP library there are a bunch of good PSP games that look good and play good on the Vita, PSX games-wise, all EU PSX games are 50 Hz, with very few being 60 Hz.
The control customization for PSP and PSX games on the Vita is great though.

Hasney

Sure is!
The PS Vita is region free so you can always get US, Asia or JPN retail Vita games =)
Keep in mind that DLC is region locked though.
This coming February will have Dangan Ronpa 1 releasing in EU and US, a gripping Adventure/Visual Novel game.
Oh and Stick it to the man is releasing on Vita by December and is 8 Pounds on EU PSN for example.

Since you're a new Vita member, do you have PS Plus? Def. consider getting one since deleting a Vita game from your system also deletes the save data for it. Stupid oversight from Sony yeah, but with Plus you can back up your saves via the internet.

Either way, Vitas can only have 1 PSN account atm, so if you made an EU PSN account, def. check out the PSP library there are a bunch of good PSP games that look good and play good on the Vita, PSX games-wise, all EU PSX games are 50 Hz, with very few being 60 Hz.
The control customization for PSP and PSX games on the Vita is great though.

Aye, I've got a month of PS+ with it and will be subscribing. Was going to get it anyway after I found out you can queue up games from the webstore ready even if you don't own the console, so I was going to use it to stock up on PS4 games ready for whenever I decide to get the console, now I have double the incentive :) Uncharted isn't my bag, but Oddworld and Gravity Rush have made it worth it already.

Dangan Ronpa sounds interesting, I'll look out for that. Do PS+ games come back into rotation on Vita? Hoping some of the games I've missed come back (especially MGS).

Tizoc

Aye, I've got a month of PS+ with it and will be subscribing. Was going to get it anyway after I found out you can queue up games from the webstore ready even if you don't own the console, so I was going to use it to stock up on PS4 games ready for whenever I decide to get the console, now I have double the incentive :) Uncharted isn't my bag, but Oddworld and Gravity Rush have made it worth it already.

Dangan Ronpa sounds interesting, I'll look out for that. Do PS+ games come back into rotation on Vita? Hoping some of the games I've missed come back (especially MGS).

Sadly no. Freebie offers expire on EU PSN at the end of each month.
If you're thinking of playing Virtue's Last Reward it is strongly suggested that you play it's predecessor, 999 which is on the NDS. Note that like the Vita, the NDS is region free~ Oh and join us at the Vita threads!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707455

At any rate, post your impressions of the game once you've put time into Tearaway =D

Zemm

There was a thread posted on here a while ago with 2014 releases and it's actually quite a lot of interesting games, way more than I thought there was going to be.

Nev

Banned
atoi_main_poster_thumb.jpg

Her design looks way nicer than Iota!

Actually, her design is bad because it's too convoluted and clearly done in the last moment to satisfy some complexed feminist desire. Iota had potential, now it's another character you can't individualize.

I wasn't offended for having to play as Lara Croft or any other female character, stop forcing politically correct shit in games, we're not so dumb.

Hasney

Game was completely off my radar until that Vita deal popped up, now been watching videos all day and I could not be happier with my Vita purchase knowing this is in the box.

Teraway and Mario 3D World are going to have me grinning harder than a toddler on cocaine.

jon bones

Actually, her design is bad because it's too convoluted and clearly done in the last moment to satisfy some complexed feminist desire. Iota had potential, now it's another character you can't individualize.

I wasn't offended for having to play as Lara Croft or any other female character, stop forcing politically correct shit in games, we're not so dumb.

the hilarious part is that atoi is by far the favorite among vitagaf

the other funny bit is that like so many of your fedora wearing MRA kin, you think adding a female character somehow takes away something from the male players. in this case, you really think having players customize a girl instead of a boy reduces your ability to "idividualize" the character.

i think your sexual frustration / cognitive dissonance is showing ;)

Lijik

Actually, her design is bad because it's too convoluted

i've seen this a few times and i shake my head every time i read it. She is literally Itoi with boots instead of a wristband thing and hair. What makes Atoi so convoluted when Iota somehow isnt? Its like arguing Minnie Mouse is too convoluted compared to Mickey Mouse because she has a bow. Ridiculous.

SFenton

Heh, my roommate has this pre-ordered (I'll get it eventually but I still have a big Vita backlog, haven't even beat KZ yet!). He just figured out that it's coming out on Friday... he's certainly changed his tune about coming to the Xbox launch with me :)

Nev

Banned
the hilarious part is that atoi is by far the favorite among vitagaf

the other funny bit is that like so many of your fedora wearing MRA kin, you think adding a female character somehow takes away something from the male players. in this case, you really think having players customize a girl instead of a boy reduces your ability to "idividualize" the character.

i think your sexual frustration / cognitive dissonance is showing ;)

So much wrong. First, I like men, second, I like female characters and I not only don't mind, but like to play as girls in videogames, and third, it's obviously not about the character not being male, it's about forcing its inclusion because apparently one of the female developers of Media Molecule thinks the role of women in the videogame industry would never be different if every character doesn't get a female version, which is the reason they added her according to what I've read.

Just don't try to make it look like I'm some MRA? (I just now discovered this) or something, I firmly believe in gender equality, it's just that this thing seems unnecessary and adds to the problem rather than help.

The hair doesn't fit, the whole design just doesn't feel right.

jon bones

So much wrong. First, I like men, second, I like female characters and I not only don't mind, but like to play as girls in videogames, and third, it's obviously not about the character not being male, it's about forcing its inclusion because apparently one of the female developers of Media Molecule thinks the role of women in the videogame industry would never be different if every character doesn't get a female version, which is the reason they added her according to what I've read.

Just don't try to make it look like I'm some MRA? (I just now discovered this) or something, I firmly believe in gender equality, it's just that this thing seems unnecessary and adds to the problem rather than help.

well if you truly want gender equality (even if you for some reason don't want an equal representation of genders, and are resentful towards a woman in a male dominated industry pushing for more inclusion of female characters) then it appears your only problem is that you have bad taste

i am a little curious as to how atoi's inclusion reduces the ability for you to "individualize" your character, though

I think it was pretty unnecessary to tack on a female version of the main character. It's not a gender thing - if Atoi was the first character to be revealed and they added in Iota later (could you imagine the shitstorm that would have caused!), my stance would remain the same. I just find it a tad worrying if we get this trend amongst mascot type characters, where their iconography and/or personality is stripped down in favour of trying to appease more people. Then again, maybe it doesn't matter much in Iota/Atoi's case, since it's a silent protagonist and thus doesn't have much of a personality in the first place.

And I honestly prefer Iota's design. The red frills don't gel.

Takao

Banned
I'm guessing you won't be able to tearaway that "From the creators of LittleBigPlanet" tag:

BZVudjtCAAE0KfV.jpg:large

(from Yoshida's twitter)

billsmugs

I personally much prefer Iota (Atoi's design has grown on me since her reveal, but Iota still has the better design in my opinion), but I think it's a good idea to offer a gender choice to players, particularly when it makes no real difference to the story or character, as is the case here.

The customisation options look so diverse in the game that you can completely replace the character's faces and change their silhouette with decorations, so I don't really understand how having a female version has any real effect on individuality or mascot recognition. Also, I think the industry (at least outside of Nintendo which seems to do everything pretty differently anyway) has moved on from the idea of mascot characters for the most part. Iota and Atoi are the characters of Tearaway and are instantly recognisable as being from the game due to the distinctive art style (however they get customised) so I think that's all they need really.

Lijik

I was hoping you'd have more to say about a design you labelled as bad and "clearly rushed", seems more like you wanted to whine about "political correctness" instead.
Remove the hair and its literally Iota. Do you think Iota's design doesn't feel right? Is the hair the entire problem - would you be fine with different hair?

I really dont get how someone can see either of the two as significantly worse than the other. The differences are minor.

Nev

Banned
well if you truly want gender equality (even if you for some reason don't want an equal representation of genders, and are resentful towards a woman in a male dominated industry pushing for more inclusion of female characters) then it appears your only problem is that you have bad taste

i am a little curious as to how atoi's inclusion reduces the ability for you to "individualize" your character, though

Why would someone want "equal representation of genders" in videogames statistically speaking? Why the hell should I tell someone who is creating a videogame that his/her character needs to change his/her gender? "There are enough males at the moment, make him a woman, we need to keep the balance". "We don't have enough male NPCs, quickly, throw in some guys".

Let the freaking developers do whatever they want with their characters. Did anybody complain because Faith was a woman? Did anyone think Skullgirls was offensive for male players? I sure didn't.
You don't get gender equality by making a 50/50 ratio in terms of characters' gender. You make your game with a female lead and players play as her without even wondering why there isn't a male version, that's where the equality is, not in this forced nonsense.

It would be different in a game where the character is basically a canvas, like in LBP or a RPG, but in this case they obviously wanted to make their own unique character, otherwise they would've called him "paperthing" or something like that.

"Individualize" wasn't about not being able to personalize my character clothes and stuff because there is a female version, the absurdity of that should've been enough to let you know that wasn't the case. It was about making a recognizable mascot type character like Mario. For more on this read Acquiescence post, he says exactly what I meant.

I was hoping you'd have more to say about a design you labelled as bad and "clearly rushed"

It's bad and convoluted because Iota's design is already a bit busy, adding the hair and the eyelashes just kills it. Clearly rushed because it's basically the same design except with hair and eyelashes. Two lines are enough.

Top Bottom