• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

billsmugs

I can't wait for this, my only concern is that it will possibly be rather short since it's only £20 at launch.

Also, the only way this can make it onto a home console is if the PS5 has a rear touchpad on the controller and a mandatory camera (and even then it wouldn't really make sense since you'd lose the "world in your hands" idea). There's no way it would work on PS4.

zroid

Banned
I can't wait for this, my only concern is that it will possibly be rather short since it's only £20 at launch.

Also, the only way this can make it onto a home console is if the PS5 has a rear touchpad on the controller and a mandatory camera (and even then it wouldn't really make sense since you'd lose the "world in your hands" idea). There's no way it would work on PS4.

It's $40 in NA if that makes you feel any better

Lijik

Super iota galaxy?
tumblr_mw78jztwmj1rdpflgo1_1280.png

damn, never seen this area before!
Gives me PS1 vibes more than anything in knack

dreamfall

Beautiful OT.

This game, since its announcement, has looked unlike any other title I've seen. I've got faith in Media Molecule to bring some real innovation and fun!

Day ONE. It'll be nice to spend more time with the Vita also!

lololol, is the 64 a nod to totobeni?!

(sub'd, btw). Can't wait for this.

i think Skyzard was the one to make a whole thread about it?? being the next mario 64.

I could be wrong though, sounds like something toto would say - " tearaway has bad graphics - look like n64. brb selling my vita "

billsmugs

I wish they kept it as a single main character though, and not two versions of the same one. It dilutes the mascot potential.
I think the fact that you can customise both Iota and Atoi to quite a large degree means that it doesn't make much difference really. The addition of Atoi was due to pressure from Siobhan Reddy at Media Molecule:
Gamesindustry.biz interview said:
Reddy made her own stand at Media Molecule. It's not a studio you would expect to think struggled with issues of sexism any more than you'd expect Santa Claus to have a crack habit, but Reddy says questioning everything is important. Including why the lead character in the studio's latest game, Tearaway, was automatically designed as male.

After some discussion with the team and some concept art gender reassignment, players can now choose from two main characters, Iota and Atoi. Reddy thinks more women can make changes like this, if they can just find the confidence to stand up.

"I don't work with anyone who was making any decisions based on being sexist, but they immediately felt that that's what I was saying," she explains.

"And I'm a big believer that if someone had come back and said, 'You know what? This is the story of Iota, this is why it is a male story', then I would have been like okay, that's cool. But we can't just walk into it without saying why didn't we choose to draw a female character? Is it just because we drew a picture? We should at least question it."
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-09-siobhan-reddy-girls-games-and-gta

I don't really like Atoi's design, but I think it's good to have a male/female character choice, especially in a family-friendly game like Tearaway which will hopefully appeal to younger kids as well as the more hardcore audience.

Yeah, $40 is standard.
I knew games were a bit cheaper in the US but I didn't realise how much. I thought most new releases were $60? (Or is that just next gen pricing?)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
While this game looks great i'm sure that most of the gaming journalism will do everything to make it look not as good as it seems, because you know vita can't have great games.

Sorry but i learned to not trust reviews years ago.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
While this game looks great i'm sure that most of the gaming journalism will do everything to make it look not as good as it seems, because you know vita can't have great games.

Why do you care?

Believe yourself

Grisby

Cool, think ill put it on mine.

Trying to finish Dokuro before I get to Tearaway. Game is one long puzzler. Nice balance though of brain busters and relatively easier trials.

Ogawa-san

I knew games were a bit cheaper in the US but I didn't realise how much. I thought most new releases were $60? (Or is that just next gen pricing?)
Even for multiplatform titles, Vita versions generally go for $39 tops while for consoles it's around the usual $49/59. Even if it's a game like Dragon's Crown or Rayman Legends where the versions are virtually identical.

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game has such an appealing style. Everything about it looks swell.

Edit: Except the damn blowing mechanic. Stop using this mechanic devs, it's awful.

Apenheul

I don't believe that at all, Vita has quite a few games that (on average) score higher than heavy hitters such as the new Animal Crossing or Pokemon games, just to name some examples. I think it's just that some people expect/hope any promising looking 1st party game to become critically acclaimed. But I really do think Tearaway could be such a game.

Zemm

Puppeteer is AMAZEBALLS People, you all need to play that. Imma make a thread bout it and how amazeballs it is, one day. Its a pretty good time killer till Tearaway time :)

I tried the demo last night actually but it was way too stop-start and had no flow at all, and I have no idea if the full game is like that or if it's a bad demo but it put me off.

ASIS

looks fantastic! Man Handhelds are going to steal the rest of 2013 for me. But screw these look bloody amazing.

I know I've posted it in a few threads, but I can't believe this, Mario and Zelda are all landing on the same day. They're probably my most three anticipated games of the year. And while I'll be in nostalgia overload with the Mario and Zelda, I'm looking forward to Tearaway presenting a whole new universe to explore. If I crunch enough through my current work project, I should have Thanksgiving week off to really dive into these games.

billsmugs

Is there a review embargo for Tearaway, or will reviews gradually appear over the next week? I'm buying it regardless, but it would be nice to read about the game's length and how many different levels/areas there are etc.

Even for multiplatform titles, Vita versions generally go for $39 tops while for consoles it's around the usual $49/59. Even if it's a game like Dragon's Crown or Rayman Legends where the versions are virtually identical.

That's odd, is it to do with demand for Vita games being lower than for home consoles so the stores price them lower, or are the recommended retail prices set lower for some reason?

ascii42

That's odd, is it to do with demand for Vita games being lower than for home consoles so the stores price them lower, or are the recommended retail prices set lower for some reason?

That's the recommended retail price. Most PSP games carried an MSRP of $40 as well. I think Uncharted: GA is the only Vita game to come out at more than that. It was $50 here.

cyborg009

Banned
Is there a review embargo for Tearaway, or will reviews gradually appear over the next week? I'm buying it regardless, but it would be nice to read about the game's length and how many different levels/areas there are etc.

Wednesday. I think Cory got a copy and said that he loved it.

Takao

Banned
That's the recommended retail price. Most PSP games carried an MSRP of $40 as well. I think Uncharted: GA is the only Vita game to come out at more than that. It was $50 here.

Three games have gone for $50 in North America: Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified, and DJ Max Technika Tune.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
In the UK EA charged £44.99 for Fifa at launch. That same game is still £44.99 on the Vita store to this day. COD was the same. I say us getting Tearaway for cheaper than normal Vita games is simply balance being restored.

Protome

Well, that's disappointing (and hardly ever a good sign). Game needs all the press/buzz it can get.

The embargo I got given was only for reviews (although due to the lack of any other coverage from other sites, I've been wary about posting anything else...) And lifts on Wednesday.

You can however get around this a little if you want to see more content from the game by searching for the Twitter tag "#tearawayphoto" which is the tag the game adds by default to any screenshots/photos you post from in-game.

Edit: Rereading my email it explicitly mentions screenshots and says just not to spoil the end of the game. So here's some unseen footage:
UNUeEr9.jpg

CHC

These gifs are the most absolutely amazing things I've seen, such an amazing and relevant art style. I say fuck reviews and fuck my backlog I'm going for this, cheaper than a PS4!

Metal B

I tried the demo last night actually but it was way too stop-start and had no flow at all, and I have no idea if the full game is like that or if it's a bad demo but it put me off.
It gets a little better at the end of the game, but all in all it ha not a good gameflow to it. Puppeteer is more about the visuals then gameplay. And yes there are great, but everything else is takes a step back for it.
I hope Tearaway doesn't fall into the same trap, but LittleBigPlanet already was very similar to Puppeteer in its weaknesses.

Corto

I NEED THIS GAME IN MY VITA! *vita means life*

From the twitter buzz this game will be absolutely fantastic. Can't wait.

SKWlVmF.gif

ODXIIe7.gif

LwEfKfm.gif

Its so sad that this game is going to bomb so hard :(
This should have been a game that releases when there are no other games coming out.
Then it could stand a chance of getting some attention.

Even here on the hardest of hardcore forums it does not get enough attention :(

Protome

Its so sad that this game is going to bomb so hard :(
This should have been a game that releases when there are no other games coming out.
Then it could stand a chance of getting some attention.

Even here on the hardest of hardcore forums it does not get enough attention :(

It'll have legs, Sony is bundling it with systems and I imagine it'll have a future on PS+ too (like every game!) I do hope it does well though, such a fun and adorable little game.

Bradach

Great OP (I particularly like the cart)

I will almost certainaily be picking this up.

One thing about all videos I've seen of this is the slightly choppy looking framerate / animation. Anyone else noticed that or is it just me?

Top Bottom