• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows |OT| KRANG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Just saw it. It may be the most consistently brisk pacing of a comic book movie I've seen. Every time some Donatello, science, ooze, Krang thing was happening, I didn't even have a moment to step back and think about why it's silly.

Saw it yesterday and had a great time. Much, much better than the first one. Bebop and Rocksteady were the breakouts in my opinion.

One of the things this movie/series is sorely lacking in is fight choreography. Like, seriously, they are freaking ninjas, the fighting should be one of the highlights of the film. I can't even remember anyone using their weapons to great effect in combat. Hell, I specifically remember Leo's blades being sheathed during the final fight.

Just saw it. It may be the most consistently brisk pacing of a comic book movie I've seen. Every time some Donatello, science, ooze, Krang thing was happening, I didn't even have a moment to step back and think about why it's silly.

It took you this long to see it! :p

The pacing really was excellent! No following around April O'Neil for twenty minutes then explaining to Whoopi Goldberg what she had seen. Just terrible.

It makes me sooooo sad that this movie is underperforming. I hope international markets make up for it, otherwise I'm afraid they won't make a sequel. Which is a funny thing to say after the first one.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This was like watching a live action version of the 80s cartoon. As a movie it's not great, in the same way that rewatching those old episodes you can't sit there and say it was solid grade-A well written television. But as pure nostalgia, it's amazing. I really liked it.

Sanjuro

It took you this long to see it! :p

The pacing really was excellent! No following around April O'Neil for twenty minutes then explaining to Whoopi Goldberg what she had seen. Just terrible.

It makes me sooooo sad that this movie is underperforming. I hope international markets make up for it, otherwise I'm afraid they won't make a sequel. Which is a funny thing to say after the first one.

Yeah, I had some personal issues come up so didn't have a chance to see it when and how I would have liked.

It meeted my expectations. They tweaked the formula, allowing a good formula for those who were still interested after the first and incorporating skeptical fans of the older series.

Amell was surprising for me. He was arguably better than I've ever seen him on Arrow. Outside of the couple awful lines about him wanting to be a detective, he was a good Casey. I think the problem with the character are people largely have no idea who he is. They remember him from the original cartoon, where he was as meaningless as anything. The 2K3 and Mirage comics were pretty much the variants of him that made sense.

Even Megan Fox / Will Arnett had the correct dosage of screen time. She was fine in the film.

KodaRuss

I am sad that I have not been able to see this yet and hearing that it is not doing well kinda sucks. I think it should have been released later in the summer or something but who knows.

Having a 1 year old severely limits any chances to see movies and the wife and I cant see all of them like we used to but I will try to check it out soon.

Glad to see a lot of people here enjoyed it.

MisterHero

This movie was a huge surprise for me. Bebop and Rocksteady were awesome. The grenade scene got a huge grin.

The human characters were flat. All of them. Brad Garrett was a HUGE miscast for Krang. I'm open to different interpretations, his just didn't work for me. There's a reason I love Pat Fraley's version, mostly because the sounds he produced were something that might emanate from a disembodied brain.

It was cool to see them taking a plot from the original cartoon
the turtles having an opportunity to become human, whereas in the cartoon Michelangelo actually became human

If nothing else, I'd say the films actually contributed to TMNT's evolution in going crazy with Donatello's smartness/inventions. Past versions of him are now kinda bare for not wearing/carrying all sorts of technology.

Alright, just got out.

Basically, it works as an unashamed, live-action version of the cartoon. Like, aside from April who was miscast and handled like shit from the beginning I can barely separate this from that cartoon. It was glorious in all the fucking dumbest and nostalgic ways. I couldn't believe how utterly shameless it was in the portrayal of the characters and it was nice to see them not holding back whatsoever.

It is absolutely not a good movie by any means, but that describes the entire property: dumb, shameless but endearing fun. Jablonsky's soundtrack rocked pretty hard, definitely loved the new theme and found that it stood out every time it played during the movie, and I was less disappointed in the climax than I thought I'd be. I was like oh great another city portal thing, but it was the
motherfuckin' TECHNODROME and where the actual climax took place
, so it wasn't quite the same thing as oh noes more city destruction.

My problems are essentially repeats of my problems from the last film: Megan Fox is not good for April, the actual combat scenes are still very lacking-- the first movie had decent fighting with Shredder at the end-- but I desire more actual, well-shot combat and neither film has really did it for me in that regard. The fight with Krang was pretty much a huge mess but still enjoyable. I liked Amell as Casey and felt his confrontation with B/R was a bit too short lived and anti-climactic.

In short, they need to at least give Megan a better script (she's had ZERO development in both of these) and have some actual NINJA fight scenes. The turtles flip around a lot and do cool shit, but the lack of fighting has been a put-off for me. Still incredibly enjoyable. I really like this version of my four bros, there's a lot of color, humor, and energy involved and I like that they didn't decide to make some gritty thing or be nervous about correctly portraying these ridiculous characters. I have to at least give it props for that.

SeanTSC

Just saw it today using my free ticket to it, finally.

Loved it. It's a good Dumb Fun Ninja Turtles Action movie. I had a good time.

And my biggest complaint from last time wasn't even so bad in this one. They toned down Mikey being a Total Creeper a lot. It was really jarring last time and barely there this time.

Yeah, I had some personal issues come up so didn't have a chance to see it when and how I would have liked.

It meeted my expectations. They tweaked the formula, allowing a good formula for those who were still interested after the first and incorporating skeptical fans of the older series.

Amell was surprising for me. He was arguably better than I've ever seen him on Arrow. Outside of the couple awful lines about him wanting to be a detective, he was a good Casey. I think the problem with the character are people largely have no idea who he is. They remember him from the original cartoon, where he was as meaningless as anything. The 2K3 and Mirage comics were pretty much the variants of him that made sense.

Even Megan Fox / Will Arnett had the correct dosage of screen time. She was fine in the film.

Yea, I was fine with Megan in this. Everybody seemed to be having fun in this, unlike the last one.

I still can't get over that Vern is actually in a TMNT movie and Will Arnett is playing him. So great. I hope the blu-ray has some cool deleted scenes(quite a bit of stuff in previous trailers were not in the final cut) and maybe some detailed extras(doubt it haha).

Edit: I was just checking the foreign numbers and so far the drop is on par to what's happening here. WW this might make about 250 million when all said and done. Which would probably mean no sequel :(

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Saw it last night, went in blind and thought it was absolutely awful. Worse than the worst Transformers even.

Sanjuro

Not even close ... it first appeared in the 1987 cartoon, a good 10 years after New Hope

lbG9z5Y.jpg

The Kree

Banned
This movie is incredibly stupid from a writing standpoint, but at least it's not aimed at adults. Not nearly enough straight up martial arts action, but at least it keeps the focus on the turtles and emphasizes their personalities. Krang was well done, though his robot design was too busy and convoluted. Tyler Perry is the biggest highlight as Baxter Stockman. I'm sorry for Laura Linney.

cj_iwakura

That was certifiably one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen.

And yet I had the stupidest grin the whole time. Movie was just full on 1990s cartoon insanity committed to film, and it was perfect at it.

Bebop and Rocksteady were flawless.

Blue Lou

For me, Seth Rollins should have been Casey Jones. I didn't see the point in Jones the security guard who wants to be a cop. Overall, it was alright.

Krejlooc

Banned
Took my nephew to see this tonight, that was cool as shit. I would have loved this as a kid, basically the movie I wanted secret of the ooze to be.

Krejlooc

Banned
Thinking back, I probably liked that way more than my nephew haha. A couple of moments really stood out to me as being cool as shit coming from someone who grew up with TMNT:

-Bebop and Rocksteady finally squaring with the turtles in the plane. I'd been waiting to see that for 25 goddamn years.

-The shot of the turtles watching the technodrome come together from the building top. It felt like something straight out of the cartoon or arcade games.

-Turtles vs Krang. Every time they actually fought in the cartoon, it was awesome. The shot of the turtles rushing Krang was awesome.

-The end credits. I had no idea the original theme song was in this movie.

Sulik2

This was not a good movie. Finally saw it last night. The only good things were Krang and I do like how the mutants looked in the film.

This was mostly a kids movie. This was a PG film they crammed a couple of random things into to get a PG-13 rating. It struggled with tone, this should have been even more lighthearted and a straight kids film or more serious and actually PG-13.

The action was terrible, not a single memorable scene in the entire movie and it was almost all incomprehensible jumping and spinning from the turtles constantly. Megan Fox and Stephen Amnell are awful actors. The Shredder guy was just as bad. Beebop and Rocksteady looked great, but barely interacted with the turtles.

Nothing is gonna be better then the 2006 CG movie I don't think.

I noticed this was playing at the second run theater near my house.... I didn't even think the movie had come out let. I heard virtually nothing about it, good or bad.

This was not a good movie. Finally saw it last night. The only good things were Krang and I do like how the mutants looked in the film.

The action was terrible, not a single memorable scene in the entire movie and it was almost all incomprehensible jumping and spinning from the turtles constantly. Megan Fox and Stephen Amnell are awful actors.

Sounds about right.

Apparently this was a major flop, which means we will almost definitely not see a third film. Very sad, as I really enjoyed this one and felt it was much improved over the first movie.

Tizoc

So this movie final got screened over here during Eid holiday.s
My brothers went to watch and well
It's just a bunch of fun scenes stitched together. Any attempt at a plot falls straight on its face. It's got fun scenes but that's it.
I will however say that the unexpected
ending credits song
is THE BEST part of the movie.

Finally got a chance to see it.

Too bad a third is unlikely because this was a lot of fun.

Look I legit couldn't give a fuck about the plot that much. It was serviceable.

What matters is the turtles and their dynamic. This one and the last one nail that dynamic so well. I just love watching them.

In the end it was like the cartoon come life. Loved it. It's just a lot of fun.

I'm just psyched that because I waited so long I get to see this and Ghostbusters in the same week amd given that GB is also reportedly more like the cartoon come to life that means I get to see the two cartoons I grew up with cone to life in one week. Screw destroying my childhood they're bringing it back to life!

aBarreras

Finally got a chance to see it.

Too bad a third is unlikely because this was a lot of fun.

Look I legit couldn't give a fuck about the plot that much. It was serviceable.

What matters is the turtles and their dynamic. This one and the last one nail that dynamic so well. I just love watching them.

In the end it was like the cartoon come life. Loved it. It's just a lot of fun.

I'm just psyched that because I waited so long I get to see this and Ghostbusters in the same week amd given that GB is also reportedly more like the cartoon come to life that means I get to see the two cartoons I grew up with cone to life in one week. Screw destroying my childhood they're bringing it back to life!

well turtle actors signed for a 3 movie contract, so here is hoping!

Strax

Shockingly bad. The first wasn't really a winner to start with but this was just all mess. Nothing the characters makes sense.

3 out of 10. Second worst movie I've seen this year.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Shockingly bad. The first wasn't really a winner to start with but this was just all mess. Nothing the characters makes sense.

3 out of 10. Second worst movie I've seen this year.

Was Independence Day 2 the worst?

Thinking back on it, I really can't think of any redeeming qualities apart from the score. The handful of things that were okay are sunk by everything else that isn't okay. I was too lenient when I saw it because I'm a big fan but it's really just bad IMO.

Dunlop

Sorry for the necro bump. Just watched this on Netflix and needed a outlet...

This is the stupidest most nonsensical movie since Highlander 2.

Why do they keep letting this guy shit on what could be amazing franchises?!?!?!

OldRoutes

Sorry for the necro bump. Just watched this on Netflix and needed a outlet...

This is the stupidest most nonsensical movie since Highlander 2.

Why do they keep letting this guy shit on what could be amazing franchises?!?!?!

I thought it was alright... I mean, it's a movie about Ninja Turtles.

Kickz

Lttp on this and damn its amazing... Best Marvel ie superhero movie of the last year.

Such an astronomical improvement on the first one, I hope they go 5+ deep like Transformers or Fast and Furious.

And this Ninja Turtles remix from the cartoon at the end playing right now hits you right in the nostalgia bone. =D

Just watched it. I had forgotten this movie existed due to how bad the previous one was and damn, It gets right almost everything. It has the feel of the cartoon, the turtle redesigns are so much better, and at times it's like watching a two hours toy commercial with the vehicles, which is awesome.

Maybe the second or third best teathrical TMNT movie, tied withe the CGI version from 2007 (which was cool but villains sucked). The problem I have with it is the usual: The humans. I still can't stand Megan Fox, Will Arnett will always be Gob to me no matter the movie, and well... Casey Jones is a joke compared to the 1990 movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom