• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows |OT| KRANG

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFO

Banned
Felt way too short and thin. I feel like they ran out of budget or time and had to rush to get the final 1/3 done because the entire finale was very underwhelming.
Cassie Jones defeating ring/warhog by trapping them in a shopping container, O'neil and Arrested Development guy easily defeating the Asain lady who was the only one guarding the portal, and the Turtles defeating KRANG in a very brief fight scene. Not to mention zap! Shredder is frozen.

I did like the nostalgia value, it felt more 90's and Cowabunga! then the previous, the visuals were still great, and theres something so awesome about going to see a TMNT movie in 2016. Don't think it was as good as the last (but I LOVED that one), still a fun movie.

Parham

Banned
The movie would have been more enjoyable if I hadn't seen some of the clips they've been releasing online.

Like any.

At all.

They packed the most entertaining moments into the trailers and clips. You could pretty much just watch those and get a pretty complete experience.

Watched this a few days ago with my family.

Make no mistake about it, it was a dumb movie, a very dumb one at that. But me, my wife, and our two kids couldn't help but laughed our asses off. It was fun as hell.

Bebop and Rocksteady were stupidly fun to watch as humans, but after they transformed, whooo boy, they become a whole lot more dangerous and crazy. They felt very dangerous, feral in fact, but also hella funny. These boys are practically brothers too, so that's quite something, I guess.

Shredder? Eh, he's worse than in the first movie. Krang, on the other hand, is more than made up for it. His looks, mannerism, and his action scenes are spot on I think, not to mention that stupid robot body of his as well as the oh-so-sweet Technodrome.

Don't care much about the Jones, but April and Vern are okay in this, a bit better than the first movie.

The turtles themselves, if you liked them in the first one, you gonna have a blast with them in this movie. If you didn't like them the first time around, this movie won't change your mind. That said, we enjoyed them greatly and I personally think they matured a bit in this movie.

All in all, a better movie than the first one, though not by much.

Parham

Banned
Is the movie okay for 4-6 year old kids? Thinking about going this weekend. I rented first one and liked it.

Violence is on par with the first one, if I'm remembering right. Language is pretty tame too, with the one exception of Michelangelo saying "son of a bitch" or something like that.

NIGHT-

Best TMNT yet!( I know that isn't saying much) I had a blast and really enjoyed how much it felt like the animated series. I hope there's another film

Billfisto

Thought the first one was misguided Bay-esque garbage. I dunno what Creative guys changed for the sequel, but I actually loved it. Beebop and Rocksteady elevate the crap out of it, Krang is as ridiculous as he should be, and the Technodrome has the friggin' eye on top.

It's super brisk, too. The movie knows you don't give a crap, so the excuse for Shredder and Krang is literally a two-minute scene where Krang says "Hi, I'm Krang, want to team up to rule the world?" and Shredder, not seeing anything wrong with this, says "sure".

Then Beebop and Rocksteady are driving around in a tank.

Just got back from seeing the movie. I enjoyed the movie and wasn't really disappointed by it. I do have two problem with the movie.

Shredder didn't do a damn thing except assemble Beebop and Rocksteady. Didn't get a fight scene with him and the Turtles which is a shame cause I really liked the new suit.

I don't if this bugged anyone else but Krang's armor wasn't exactly like it was in the trailer. WTF at the head cut off I mean really?

I though Stephen Amell did a good job as Casey even if
I didn't like the specific origin story of him being a CO

I don't hate the first movie but this one was way better

Just got back.

I should just parrot what everyone else says right off the bat and say, yeah bebop and rocksteady were amazing.

I agree that
the climax was pretty rushed, chick guarding the portal got thrown away and although fun, bebop and rocksteady never really got to shine in a fight scene.

I think the turtles personalities were all done well enough, i even normally have a ahard time with mikey being obnoxious but this time i actually enjoyed him. Also
them jumping out of the airplane was amazing, like it was a treatise on the turtles on their personalities.

So yeah, would recommend.

Kusagari

This movie delivered exactly what I expected. It feels like a season of the old tv show condensed into a dumbass live action movie. That's all I really wanted.

But why the hell was Tyler Perry seemingly basing his Stockman on the Nutty Professor?

fin

Pretty great tmnt movie. I'm 32 and was laughing at a lot of it, just a shit eating grin, this is the best tmnt since secret of the ooze. Love the personalities of them.

There were somethings wrong with it. Like, I don't really remember the turtles fighting a whole lot....just Krang at the end. Not much ninja-ing in this one. Just big kinda escape sequences and flipping through the air. Also it did end quick. The last sequence should've lasted another 15-20 minutes.

But if you loved tmnt when you were a kid, go see it.

Really liked this one line between Raph and Casey and how it was like the line Donatello accusing him of being claustrophobic from the first one.

Also Donatello has a SNES controller wrapped around his arm...didn't use it ever but looks rad.

It was just so 90s...

Velcro Fly

It was pretty good

I have no idea why Baxter Stockman was working for the Shredder or if that was ever properly explained but whatever

I laughed a lot, especially at parts that may not have been intended for humor.

Also Raphael is objectively the best turtle.

im so glad raph wasnt hamfisted to be "awesome", like he had awesome moment, but there were some decent character flaws and the like

Gary Anthony Williams and Sheamus had great chemistry together as Bebop and Rocksteady. Probably the highlight of the movie for me. Tyler Perry was also really good at Baxter Stockman, considering he was a more hammy/cartoony version, closer to the 80's toon.

Everything else kind of fell flat. I was kind of interested in seeing Stephen Amell, but he really didn't stick out.

I remember hearing Judith Hoag was seen on set and was hoping to see her, but then did a search after seeing the film to find out she was cut

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...-judith-hoag-cut-from-tmnt-out-of-the-shadows

Nothing even on IMDB about what her role was supposed to be.

Random Spoiler thoughts/observations
Was it just me, or was there a Triceraton next to Shredder as he was being put away?

I hope Baxter Stockman isn't turned into a fly right away next time. I would like to see some mousers and a more nefarious character since he seems to be the one left around to be in charge. Also, that sure was a rushed way to get him out of the movie.

I wish the turtles interacted with Krang once before the final showdown. Maybe make it a bit more like the cartoon where Krang is stranded on Earth and needs to open the portal and build the body at the end with the help of Stockman. He was introduced in such a rushed/haphazard fashion that almost anything else would have been better.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I remember hearing Judith Hoag was seen on set and was hoping to see her, but then did a search after seeing the film to find out she was cut

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...-judith-hoag-cut-from-tmnt-out-of-the-shadows

Nothing even on IMDB about what her role was supposed to be.
Yeah, I was really excited to see her in the movie and when it ended and she was no where to be found, I was disappointed. Hope it's on the Blu Ray. It looks like those photos are from the end of the movie where April is giving the news report. I bet she was supposed to play her boss.

Pilgrimzero

Loved it. Would totally watch a Bebop and Rocksteady film.

As others have mentioned it does have issues.

Casey is miscast and not really Casey IMO.

Mainly the turtles do no real fighting until the end. In fact the only actual fighting done until then is done by Casey in one scene.

All the Villans except B & R are under used

But I loved it. Growing up with the original cartoon this was obviously an homage to it.

gotta say i ended up really enjoying B & R were the best part of the movie now Sheamus just needs to carry that charisma into the ring lol

As a champion for the first film, I have to say that I didn't enjoy this sequel nearly as much.

I have learned to love the many iterations of the turtles, but this was only after I had seen the leaked maquettes for the original film pre release. So to me, the turtles are a hell of a lot more than that cheesy mess that was the 80s cartoon as I prefer the new Nick show, the IDW comics and the original live action film. What those all have in common with the 2014 adaption is, and I know this is a dirty word to a lot of gaffers who are only familiar with the 80s toon, *gasp* a little bit of grit mixed with the comedy and action.

This film crammed in more classic characters with not a lot to offer. The turtles never battle B and R, Casey does his thing once, Shredder never fights the turtles and the Krang has one fight scene. Hell, even that garbage truck had only one quick outing. The final act could have been much better if all of these things came to a head.

And speaking of the action, the long ass tracking shots of the original, which make it one of the best action films I've seen in a while, are missing here which I feared with the change of director.

Overall, I'll give it a 7 out of 10 since I still love the turtle designs and humor. I just wish they did more with the supporting cast.

People who only know the 80s toon should love it though... =/

Pilgrimzero

l love the old toon. The original comic. And the new IDW series.

I also loved this movie. Pretty much yea because it was an homage to the old toon.

Would I like an adaption of the IDW? Heck yea. Maybe we will get that down the line. Heck maybe as a tv show.

l love the old toon. The original comic. And the new IDW series.

I also loved this movie. Pretty much yea because it was an homage to the old toon.

Would I like an adaption of the IDW? Heck yea. Maybe we will get that down the line. Heck maybe as a tv show.
I just wish the villains posed more of a threat.
They all working together and the turtles taking them on individually and swapping opponents and performing tag moves. Or maybe the technodrome being completed and the turtles using the garbage truck to take it out as they use a portal at ground level to launch them inside of it. Something more epic and cooler than what we got.

You're lying if you think that last part doesn't sound fucking awesome =].

Saw it earlier today. Agree with what most people have said:

Bebop and Rocksteady are great. One weird thing that bothered me was I felt like their voices changed slightly between scenes. No idea if they were just mixed different or what.

Almost everything with Casey is bad/wrong.
He grew up wanting to be a detective and Hockey was basically a side thing
. I thought is introduction was good but not much else.

I didn't watch the first movie but I just don't find this version of Shredder that threatening. He's tiny next to everyone else
and that doesn't include him ever being near the turtles

The movie was dumb fun, but a little too dumb at times.
The scene where they get caught was my biggest issue. Leo and Donny break through the front door of the police station without even seeing what's on the other side.

I don't see movies that often (only other movie I've seen this year is Zootopia) but I enjoyed this.

vareon

They really didn't know what to do with Casey Jones.

He's a prison guard guy thing who aspired to be a detective and happened to be a hockey player. He really didn't like B&R and capturing them is basically his motive in the movie. The one time he had the chance to being a detective, he extracted information from a bartender by just breaking shit up.

It was a very, very dumb movie that didn't make a lot of sense. But that's what it wanted to be and it delivered. Judging by the reactions here I'm sure it'll have fans who will love it.

rSpooky

Saw this yesterday with my daughter. I enjoyed this movie much more then the first one. Now I would have to compare, did the turtle designs change a little bit?? like more of a pushed out nose then the last one? Or am I just getting used to the design?
My kid now thinks I should do a Mikey cosplay ... thats gonna be some work ..lol

Edit. Rocksteady and beebop was why I came to see it anyway and it was all worth it! they were fantastic.

I don't think Casey was miscast it was just this version of him wasn't really all that great. Amell did as good a job as he could.

Also
Am I the only that lol at the cameo from Mayhem(Allstate commercials

Saw it this morning and loved it, start to finish! Arnett's Falcon got some good laughs from me, but I'm an easy target.

Credits scene was a lot fun, too.

Both of the recent films have been very satisfying experiences for me.

I don't think Casey was miscast it was just this version of him wasn't really all that great. Amell did as good a job as he could.

Also
Am I the only that lol at the cameo from Mayhem(Allstate commercials
Who was he?

And What was the credits scene? My son needed to explode in the bathroom.

Who was he?

And What was the credits scene? My son needed to explode in the bathroom.
In my post, I was referring to the final credits
(done in comic-art style with throwback music.) I'm not sure if there was an end credit scene or not.

Edit: Did I spot a SNES controller on Don's wrist during a late scene in turtle HQ? Not sure (and maybe it's a known thing ...) but it caught my eye. May have been when he was handing off a canister or something.

RedAssedApe

Banned
think the first was better but this one had its moments. enjoyed the corny comedic stuff from b&r and mikey

i think casey uses his hockey stick more than the turtles use their weapons combined.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I enjoyed it. Better than I thought it would be. I hope they don't reboot it if the film fails in the box office.

zhixson

Saw it today and loved the hell out of it. This is now the second full movie my autistic son was able to sit through and follow. The previous Ninja Turtles was the first.

Yeah, it had some problems (definitely rushed near the end as well as
Krang's body not having that cool head? I swear it was there in the early trailer. Also, did it seem like, to anyone else, that the turtles never really used their weapons at all in combat? Maybe a little at the end against Krang but that was it.
), but I'll be damned if the wife, kids, and I weren't smiling and laughing and having a great time the whole way through. It did SO MUCH right, though. I, uh, guess I'll spoiler some stuff here just to be safe.
The technodrome's eye was in it!!! I thought for sure it would be too "silly" and some super serious studio exec would make it changed to a generic laser cannon or something. Loved Vanilla Ice's presence, and Donnie definitely had a Super Famicom controller on his wrist. Tyler Perry's nerd laugh as Baxter Stockman made me smile each and every time he did it. LOVED him in that role!

It's the Turtles movie that I wish I could have seen when I was a kid. Back then, it felt like studios were just too afraid to even try Bebop, Rocksteady, or Krang. Instead we got Tokka and Rhazar for who knows why.

Man, I wanna see this again, but will wait until it's out for rent. In the mean time, I'm gonna go play Turtles in Time with my son.

Geeky

They really didn't know what to do with Casey Jones.

He's a prison guard guy thing who aspired to be a detective and happened to be a hockey player. He really didn't like B&R and capturing them is basically his motive in the movie. The one time he had the chance to being a detective, he extracted information from a bartender by just breaking shit up.

It was a very, very dumb movie that didn't make a lot of sense. But that's what it wanted to be and it delivered. Judging by the reactions here I'm sure it'll have fans who will love it.

About Casey Spoilers

Now that you mention it, maybe it was because they want to keep a child like logic of the script (they went to the bar listed in their file), but Casey didn't show to be a guy who really wanted to think like a detective. Once he got to the bar he broke stuff and kept of using violence after that (which is more in tune with comic Casey, but not with the character they were trying to create here).

Saw it today and loved the hell out of it. This is now the second full movie my autistic son was able to sit through and follow. The previous Ninja Turtles was the first.

Yeah, it had some problems (definitely rushed near the end as well as
Krang's body not having that cool head? I swear it was there in the early trailer. Also, did it seem like, to anyone else, that the turtles never really used their weapons at all in combat? Maybe a little at the end against Krang but that was it.
), but I'll be damned if the wife, kids, and I weren't smiling and laughing and having a great time the whole way through. It did SO MUCH right, though. I, uh, guess I'll spoiler some stuff here just to be safe.

It's the Turtles movie that I wish I could have seen when I was a kid. Back then, it felt like studios were just too afraid to even try Bebop, Rocksteady, or Krang. Instead we got Tokka and Rhazar for who knows why.

Concerning Weapons

I think Donatello was the only turtle to use their weapon in a meaningful way (used it to level out the plane and deal the final blow to Krang). I think the garbage truck used the turtle weapons more effectively than the turtles themselves (the giant nunchucks and the sword it threw out ).

As far as Tokka and Rhazar being used in the Secret of the Ooze, I heard that Eastman and Laird were never fans of the characters and wanted something more threatening.

Cardon

Thought it was okay. An improvement over he first film in some regards, though the pacing in the new one is kinda weird. Maybe it's just in how it went full cartoon in every aspect, like Krang somehow knowing who Shredder is and simply proposing a plan and Shredder being up for it from the get-go, but at least they didn't go realistic grim dark.

The one thing that stuck out for me is how I felt the action was lacking compared to the first one. There are some cool moments and all, but I thought the last movie had better directed action scenes with cooler choreography. In TMNT2 it's just a flurry of punches and stuff going boom for the most part.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh shit, didn't know this was out. Gonna go see it this morning. How rad, I haven't seen a TMNT movie in theaters since I was a kid. Gonna play the NES version of the arcade game today too to get in the mood.

I just saw it.

Okay, it's not a good film. However, if you're a fan of the original cartoon and films there is a LOT of fan service. Also, it's a lot more coherent than the 2014 film. It's basically a dumb Saturday Morning cartoon except with live actors. And...I dunno, I kinda liked it for what it was.

Positives:
+ The Turtles look slightly less shitty this time. And their personalities are much better defined this time as the film revolves more around them here than it did in the previous one.
+ Bebop and Rocksteady are great. Best part of the movie IMO
+ The whole film is silly and goofy, no ham-fisted attempts at drama or unneeded seriousness to be found here
+ The action was really well choreographed
+ Krang was great. He looked and acted pretty close to his cartoon counterpart, really.
+ The Technodrome! Big goofy eyeball and all.
+ Tyler Perry. Yup, I thought he was a great Baxter. Really nerdy and awkward but also very funny.
+ Vernon is very much the Vernon of the cartoon. A gigantic ass.
+ Dat 1987 theme song at the end credits. Yes!

Negatives:
- Arrow Guy sucked. And he only wears the hockey mask for about a minute. Which is also true of the Casey from the original film. But I was all right with it there because I actually really liked that guy.
- Megan Fox isn't any better here than she was in the first
- overall the acting was pretty shitty all around, but whatever
- Plot was pretty underdeveloped and Krang just kinda pops out of nowhere at the end. Wish they would have spent a little more time with him.
- Shredder...eh. I liked him but he didn't do much. And he doesn't even wear the mask until the end and only for about a minute.
- Karai was even less useful than her father

No, it's nowhere close to being as good as the 1990 original. I wouldn't even put it up there with 'The Secret of the Ooze'. But if you're a longtime Turtles fan, I really think you'll find a lot to enjoy here.

I fucking loved this movie. I had a smile on my face pretty much the whole time and Bebop and Rocksteady were amazing!

I consider myself a pretty big Turtles fan and I feel like it was better than Secret of the Ooze(not exactly a high bar) and a huge improvement from the last one in nearly every way.

The 1990 film is still the GOAT and probably will never be topped.

I'm pretty bummed about the box office for it though. They clearly set up some really cool things for the next one and I'm worried that movie might not happen :(

Not sure why they picked to open it smack dab in the middle of Summer.

linkboy

Is the movie okay for 4-6 year old kids? Thinking about going this weekend. I rented first one and liked it.

I took my 5yr old son to see it today and he loved it. He's a big fan of the Nick show. I enjoyed the first movie and I enjoyed this one as well.

It's what I expected a Turtles movie to be.

OscarStyle

Neo Member
Ever since I was a wee lad, I have always wanted to be a detective....
4.jpg

Ugh...

Other than this the direction for the character of this dude, GREAT MOVIE!

Krang was great!

I fucking loved this movie. I had a smile on my face pretty much the whole time and Bebop and Rocksteady were amazing!

I consider myself a pretty big Turtles fan and I feel like it was better than Secret of the Ooze(not exactly a high bar) and a huge improvement from the last one in nearly every way.

The 1990 film is still the GOAT and probably will never be topped.

I'm pretty bummed about the box office for it though. They clearly set up some really cool things for the next one and I'm worried that movie might not happen :(

Not sure why they picked to open it smack dab in the middle of Summer.
Did not beat the last one's action... at all.

I came up with a better finale than what we got that could have brought everything to the table instead of everything just sort of being a cameo. Sucked. And I LOVED the 2014 film. But I kind of knew this would be disappointing because they were going full cartoon and with a different director. Those long tracking, fully in frame action shots were missed, but it's not like the turtles did much to warrant them here anyway.

SRG01

I legitimately enjoyed this movie more than any other movie this year. Yes, that includes Civil War.

There's something to be said when a movie goes all in, is 100% fan service, and still retains the charm of TMNT throughout the movie.

I came up with a better finale than what we got that could have brought everything to the table instead of everything just sort of being a cameo. Sucked. And I LOVED the 2014 film. But I kind of knew this would be disappointing because they were going full cartoon and with a different director. Those long tracking, fully in frame action shots were missed, but it's not like the turtles did much to warrant them here anyway.

Spoilers:
There's a lot less human vs turtles action in this movie, but I think that's deliberate because they emphasized the larger setpieces rather than the cannon fodder who are no threat to the turtles.

Yea, but OOTS has much better pacing and more focus on the Turtles and
surprisingly Bebop and Rocksteady.

Edit: Did anybody see it in 3D? I read that it's rather decent.

Yea, but OOTS has much better pacing and more focus on the Turtles and
surprisingly Bebop and Rocksteady.

Edit: Did anybody see it in 3D? I read that it's rather decent.
The focus was great, but they were underused in comparison.

B and R didn't even do much of anything. Couple of chases?

Man, just imagining a big brawl between everyone and the vehicles coming back in for a dimensional chase into the technodrome would have been the ultimate finale.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Didn't like it as much as the first. This film is made for fans though. It's basically like they slapped together all the moments fans wanted and honestly, they did deliver on that regard.

My issue is the pacing. It jumped around too much for my tastes.

I need to know.

How was Amell?

He was exactly the same as he is on Arrow. I really like him, but he's not a very good actor. Not to mention that he was miscast and to top it off his character was not written like Casey Jones should be.

Despite all that, I was able to look past it because Krang.

I need to know.

How was Amell?

Probably the weakest of the characters. The chemistry between him and Megan seemed a bit forced. Of all the great fan service in this one

He's a fellow torontonian and I don't think he's a bad actor or anything, I think he was just a bit miscast and/or miswritten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom