• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows |OT| KRANG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhixson

I have completely unreasonable excitement for this movie.

I was a complete hater of the original based upon the trailers, but I finally watched it in a moment of weakness (one of those "I want to just watch literally anything I've not seen before" moments) and I guess my expectations were so low that I loved the holy crap out of it. Some plot points were beyond stupid, but hell, even my autistic son who is incapable of watching even a quarter of a movie without eventually turning to me to ask to play video games watched every minute.

But like, damn. Ever since trailer one for the sequel with the reveal of motherfucking BEBOP and ROCKESTEADY, two characters that should have been in the franchise alllll the way back in movie ONE, I have been hyped. My inner child is having nostalgic memory storms of loving the turtles, playing the arcade game with three buddies, watching the cartoon every day after school, randomly coming across Turtles in Time and hearing that crazy custom theme song... man, I think I used to love the turtles way more than I thought.

Is this movie going to be amazing? Probably not. Will it be fun? Surely it will be.

Oh yeah, and KRANG!!!! HOLY SHIT!!! KRANG!!! THE TECHNODROME!!! AAAAHHHHHH

...............sorry

Nobody at work has even the faintest hint of excitement for this movie, so I feel like I'm having to be extra excited for it.

Again, sorry for the random spew of brainless excitement.

KevinCow

Banned
I hope this is good.

The first one wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but it wasn't great. The turtles still look weird and Megan Fox is still an awful April.

But Bebop and Rocksteady...

Sanjuro

It's a good sign when my biggest disappointment with the film is that there is no pizza tie-in promotion.

Fuck you, Captain America. Nobody cares that you like pizza.

Whoopi Goldberg isn't back in this? I guess she didn't have a large role in the last one so it doesn't matter too much. I suppose Judith Hoag is April O'Neil's boss in this then?

I am curious what Amell looks like doing big budget choreography instead of dollar store booze fueled shenanigans he does on Arrow.

Sanjuro

They are going so strong with the 80's cartoon nostalgia that I am afraid that Shredder will be a joke now =/

Which, I'm fine with. The character should have some elements of slapstick.

Most of the TMNT fans are miserable. They grew up believing the franchise should have with them, ultimately it should really be about embracing elements from all interpretations to be as fun as possible.

Platy

Which, I'm fine with. The character should have some elements of slapstick.

Most of the TMNT fans are miserable. They grew up believing the franchise should have with them, ultimately it should really be about embracing elements from all interpretations to be as fun as possible.

Lack of stakes might be a big problem for a movie like this ... I know that some of the worst moments of the last one was when you discovered
that the turtles are bulletproof
because pretty much every other scene with the foot clan loose it's stakes

mreddie

It's a good sign when my biggest disappointment with the film is that there is no pizza tie-in promotion.

Fuck you, Captain America. Nobody cares that you like pizza.

No Pizza Hut tie in? Boo.

I am looking forward to this, hoping Krang isn't April's dad or that Karai knew April from High School or some shit. Also hoping Turtles get more screen time. I did think they aced the chemistry in the last one.

Sanjuro

Lack of stakes might be a big problem for a movie like this ... I know that some of the worst moments of the last one was when you discovered
that the turtles are bulletproof
because pretty much every other scene with the foot clan loose it's stakes

The last one was a production hell product. While this may not be great, everything points towards studio heads taking a step back and allowing the property to have more flex room.

That is pretty much all you can ask for.

G-Fex

Liking Ninja Turtles and ignoring the weird shit means you don't like Ninja Turtles, you just take a glance at it's butt when it passes next to you

But there's such a thing as going overboard which the new cartoon did, which is why it sucks now.

Seen it today with a fellow Gaffer.
Krang is the main villain of the film and Shredder is wasted. Plot is garbage, but wasn't really expecting much there anyway. Bebop and Rocksteady are really overly stupid honestly, probably the most stupid yet. Baxter Stockman was just there doing science-ey things but seems like he's being held back for the sequel when he inevitably turns into The Fly.
Film was okay to decent. Action was hard to see most of the time since the camera was so quick flying around, got a bit of headache afterwards. There's some throwbacks in there. Must be getting old.

Exodust

Banned
Despite it being kind of a bad movie I loved the last one(so is TMNT 2 but I love that one all the same). I'm definitely down for this one.

Saw it last saturday, word of advice: If you thought the first one was a no-brainer, popcorn movie, prepare for more of that with a side dish of stupid fun.

Long story short, the movie has many small homages to TMNT through the generations its been through. It has some hints to the classic design
(Donatello hands April a scanner that once its complete, shows a classic TMNT Face on it)
, and some other nods to more modern fans
Including a very IDW-like design for Krang's body robot thing

Perhaps the most fun and brain-dead part of the movie [besides the plot] is Bebop and Rocksteady showing what stupid brute force really is
[And how low fart jokes can go too]
. Shredder is tossed aside and
turned into an amiibo, so he will be back in the sequel
, plus this movie feels like a game adaptation
having a fetch-quest as the main plate of the movie.

The biggest dissapointment?
Casey Jones. Not only is the casted actor HORRIBLE at this, but it barely enbodies the true character. It feel aloof and as a lame excuse to add it in to the TMNT movie universe. Also, he only wears the mask ONCE.

In general, the movie was brain dead fun and will make 500 Millions. I am glad they dropped some design elements like the overdecor of the turtles and the weird gross render of Splinter
Along with his new 'stache do over!
. In the end, if you have no other plans and just want to have stupid fun... Go see it. The 3D is ok, but too shakey.

3 out of 5 Turtle Soup cans. Better than the original.

Talk of the action being hard to see has me worried since the action is what I love about the original. I put it above all comic book action movies I've seen in that regard. Hope that poster is wrong.

styl3s

Why do people keep saying this is "michael bays tmnt"

hes a producer ffs
Because on the first film his name was all over it for marketing/advertising purposes and people see that name attached to it and assumed he made it much like how a lot of shitty lower budget films that have some producer or someone who was involved with a major hollywood film they will put "FROM THE MINDS OF ____" "FROM THE PEOPLE THAT BROUGHT YOU" etc. even though those people had nothing to do with the success of the films they are trying to cash in on. People were spewing the same shit with the Friday the 13th remake was coming out because it was made through his studio.

This time around however i haven't really seen any advertisements or anything with him name attached to it even though he is a producer.

Its the old theme... wait! Does that mean this cartoon theme song is in the movie?!?! :D

Kinda. :)

Embargo is over.

I was surprised how much I liked that goofy movie. It was just like Transformers. Stupid, mindless, idiotic fun. I like these kind of totally harmless and fun movies. The CG fights were awesome! I didn't even notice the length of the movie.

There were quite many flaws, but if you are having a good time, you can forget them. Don't take it seriously and you'll probably end up liking the bantering and madness.

3D was ghosting and dark. Avoid.

3/5

ezekial45

Banned
Just came back. That was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it way more than the last one. This movie totally embraced TMNT's legacy and just had so much fan-service. The fight with Krang and the end-credits made me giddy.

It was a ton of fun. I feel like a lot of these reviewers were expecting something more. At it's heart, it's a kids movie, but it totally makes a point of keeping things fun for the adult fans too. Check it out, I had a blast.

Just saw the movie. Way better than the first movie in most ways. I'm not going to say it was a great movie but I think it was a solid enough Turtles movie this time (unlike the first). As the trailers indicated, this one takes itself way less seriously and just embraces the ridiculousness. It has no shame, and that's a good thing.
What my girlfriend and I decided was an apt description of the movie was that it was a cartoon script made in live action. It gives no fucks, for better or worse. It's definitely a kids movie but it throws a few bones to the adults. Is it a must see? No. But I think turtle fans will be much happier with this one. I had a good time. More importantly, the kids in the audience had a good time.

I'd say the first third was fun, a chunk in the middle was very boring, and the last third was fun again. Megan Fox was sort of bland. Bebop stole the show. I couldnt help but smile whenever Krang was onscreen. Thanks to the first movie, a lot of people have already made up their mind about this one before seeing it and watching it they'll only be looking for reasons to reaffirm that point of view. Do I recommend this movie to the average joe? No. But do I recommend it to kids and turtle fans? Sure.

RobbieNick

Just saw the movie. Way better than the first movie in most ways. I'm not going to say it was a great movie but I think it was a solid enough Turtles movie this time (unlike the first). As the trailers indicated, this one takes itself way less seriously and just embraces the ridiculousness. It has no shame, and that's a good thing.
What my girlfriend and I decided was an apt description of the movie was that it was a cartoon script made in live action. It gives no fucks, for better or worse. It's definitely a kids movie but it throws a few bones to the adults. Is it a must see? No. But I think turtle fans will be much happier with this one. I had a good time. More importantly, the kids in the audience had a good time.

I'd say the first third was fun, a chunk in the middle was very boring, and the last third was fun again. Megan Fox was sort of bland. Bebop stole the show. I couldnt help but smile whenever Krang was onscreen. Thanks to the first movie, a lot of people have already made up their mind about this one before seeing it and watching it they'll only be looking for reasons to reaffirm that point of view. Do I recommend this movie to the average joe? No. But do I recommend it to kids and turtle fans? Sure.

The actor playing Bebop was obviously having a ton of fun with the role.

You stole most of what I was gonna say. This movie is stupid as hell, but GLORIOUSLY so. The focus is on the turtles where it should be and Bebop and Rocksteady were two (literal) tons of fun both in human and animal form. They stole every scene they were in. The subplot involving the turtles own inner conflict was well handled too.

However, that's not to say it's without it's problems. Shredder's plan was quite possibly the dumbest plan ever put to film
and it really bit him in the ass in the end
. He also has zero fight scenes in the film. ZERO. They got Casey Jones all wrong. Instead of a street tough vigilante, he's
just a suspended cop who acts like an idiot half the time.
He also wears his signature for about, oooh...3 minutes? Maybe less?

I wanted to like Krang, but the way they introduced the character ruined it for me and made him seem WAY over the top. Even for a movie with a talking Warthog and Rinocerous. Basically, he comes into the film for one scene about half an hour in and it's not subtle at all. Just BAM! Here's Krang in all his cartoonish, brainy glory! His reveal should have been saved for the finale and had Shredder just talking about him ominously without ever showing him until then. This would have made it have much more impact when we finally see him.

I got no problems with Tyler Perry as Baxter Stockman. He plays the role like a cartoon scientist and a cartoon movie so it fits just fine. Megan Fox's role is much smaller this time and that's a huge improvement.

Overall, I'd give it a 7. It's very ridiculous and non-TMNT fans are sure to hate it, but this movie ended up making me finally like this version of the turtles (Raphael especially) and any kids (or the kid within you) will have a blast.

The actor playing Bebop was obviously having a ton of fun with the role.

You stole most of what I was gonna say. This movie is stupid as hell, but GLORIOUSLY so. The focus is on the turtles where it should be and Bebop and Rocksteady were two (literal) tons of fun both in human and animal form. They stole every scene they were in. The subplot involving the turtles own inner conflict was well handled too.

However, that's not to say it's without it's problems. Shredder's plan was quite possibly the dumbest plan ever put to film
and it really bit him in the ass in the end
. He also has zero fight scenes in the film. ZERO. They got Casey Jones all wrong. Instead of a street tough vigilante, he's
just a suspended cop who acts like an idiot half the time.
He also wears his signature for about, oooh...3 minutes? Maybe less?

I wanted to like Krang, but the way they introduced the character ruined it for me and made him seem WAY over the top. Even for a movie with a talking Warthog and Rinocerous. Basically, he comes into the film for one scene about half an hour in and it's not subtle at all. Just BAM! Here's Krang in all his cartoonish, brainy glory! His reveal should have been saved for the finale and had Shredder just talking about him ominously without ever showing him until then. This would have made it have much more impact when we finally see him.

I got no problems with Tyler Perry as Baxter Stockman. He plays the role like a cartoon scientist and a cartoon movie so it fits just fine. Megan Fox's role is much smaller this time and that's a huge improvement.

Overall, I'd give it a 7. It's very ridiculous and non-TMNT fans are sure to hate it, but this movie ended up making me finally like this version of the turtles (Raphael especially) and any kids (or the kid within you) will have a blast.

I actually loved how they introduced Krang. Completely unapologetic. It is as you said. Just BAM! Here's Krang in all his cartoonish, brainy glory! No explanations, just...it's Krang. I thought that was great.

Agreed about Jones. He was...weird.
Would it have been so hard to have him put the mask back on for the final fight?
He seems to be the one aspect they sort of got shy about.

I didn't like Perry all that much but he didn't kill it for me. They were obviously going for a crazy Neil deGrasse Tyson with him and it made me ponder after the credits how awesome it would have been if it were actually Neil in the movie. That would have been really funny.

Sidenote: They changed Krangbot's robot head, didn't they?

obin_gam

Just reserved tickets for tonight because of these reactions :) should I get some beer beforehand? Sounds like that kind of movie hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom