• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens react to The Last of Us

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
wow that blond girl is awful. She's just like "yeah fuck marlene, fuck the fireflies, kill em all". For me the endgame was very much me being horrified by Joel's sociopath murder spree but she was all for it.

valkyre

wow that blond girl is awful. She's just like "yeah fuck marlene, fuck the fireflies, kill em all". For me the endgame was very much me being horrified by Joel's sociopath murder spree but she was all for it.

Its probably because you have more respect to the medium than she has and to be honest this is understandable.

If she has no experience with gaming, she might really not take it seriously enough to be properly emotionally engaged.

PS: I felt exactly the same as you during the final moments of TLOU. And that's what made it a masterpiece for me. It conveyed its message in a way that only videogames can. I feel horrible to the acts Joel goes for, yet I am forced to do them myself in order to reach the end of the storyline. Its different than in movies were I am just watching a character perform actions I do not agree with, here I am forced to participate interactively with these actions.

Brilliant.

Gets me everytime. Goddamn.

And yeah those cut to blacks are up there with the best in the visual mediums.

"I was really happy this was my first video game."

Lol. Welp its all downhill from here.

I liked that the one girl noticed the watch gesture of Joel.

Yup thats something I didn't catch until my second playthrough.

This was a great series - it was awesome seeing this game again, and being able to see how people with different gaming backgrounds experienced it was icing on top.

Man, I love The Last of Us. Can't wait till Naughty Dog's next new IP (not to say I wont be playing everything in between).

Anybody know any other great Last of Us Let's Plays to watch. Besides this one I watched, Elders react, FarFromSubtle, Pewdiepie, and ThegirlfromAus. The Last of Us is just one of the few gamesI love to see how others react to. The game is just something special.

oddly enough JackFrag's play-through of it was good

Carcetti

Its probably because you have more respect to the medium than she has and to be honest this is understandable.

If she has no experience with gaming, she might really not take it seriously enough to be properly emotionally engaged.

Brilliant.

What are you talking about? It's just as easy to be emotionally invested in Joel's mindset of 'they deserve to die'. He's the alpha monster of the post apo world but if I had to kill a bunch of bumbling militants to save my kid, I'd do it in a heartbeat as well and I imagine a lot of parents would say the same.

KorrZ

PS: I felt exactly the same as you during the final moments of TLOU. And that's what made it a masterpiece for me. It conveyed its message in a way that only videogames can. I feel horrible to the acts Joel goes for, yet I am forced to do them myself in order to reach the end of the storyline. Its different than in movies were I am just watching a character perform actions I do not agree with, here I am forced to participate interactively with these actions.

Brilliant.

I don't think having a different reaction to the ending has anything to do with having more "respect" for the medium lol. When I played for the first time my reaction was exactly the same. Fuck Marlene, fuck all of these assholes who were trying to kill Ellie. The entire game builds up your emotional attachment to her. You can abhor Joel's actions because it's a video game, but in reality he's not doing anything different then anyone would do for someone they love.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think having a different reaction to the ending has anything to do with having more "respect" for the medium lol. When I played for the first time my reaction was exactly the same. Fuck Marlene, fuck all of these assholes who were trying to kill Ellie. The entire game builds up your emotional attachment to her. You can abhor Joel's actions because it's a video game, but in reality he's not doing anything different then anyone would do for someone they love.

When it goes against the wishes of the person they're "saving" and condemns the entire species? I'm gonna side-eye anyone who legit thinks Joel made the right choice tbh. You can empathize with Joel and still think he made a horrible choice. The entire endgame is meant to distance the player from Joel imo, from the increasingly violent, abhorrent kills to the last bit playing as Ellie. Marlene was right.

Calabi

But that's another perspective. One would be that the fireflies are no better than anyone else. Its arrogant and brutal and completely against any kind of ethics for them to kill a child like that. People whom think its acceptable for them to do that scare me more than people whom empathise with Joels point of view.

valkyre

What are you talking about? It's just as easy to be emotionally invested in Joel's mindset of 'they deserve to die'. He's the alpha monster of the post apo world but if I had to kill a bunch of bumbling militants to save my kid, I'd do it in a heartbeat as well and I imagine a lot of parents would say the same.

I probably did not choose my words properly. Its the way she (the girl playing) delivers her reaction to these moments. Saying fuck Marlene, fuck the Fireflies, fuck the Doctors etc etc while pretty much laughing at the same time, kinda makes it look like she doesnt take this seriously as a moment, a story etc. perhaps because it is a videogame and popular opinion still labels most videogames as silly and that actions in a videogame arent worth much of a thought most of the time.

And like I said, if that is indeed the case, I understand that because she hasnt played a lot of games apparently and because , even to this day, sadly, videogames are not as recognized as they should be as a storytelling medium.

I also would like to point out, that just because I thought Joel's actions were going in a rather much darker place I thought they would (which made the story great for me), that doesnt mean that everyone should feel the way I did about it. I fully understand the reasoning behind Joel's actions and it is indeed natural considering his character's arc to act this way, I just did not agree with him because I am not him.

Story makes perfect sense if you look it from mine or your perspective, or from Joel's perspective, or Ellie's or even Marlene's perspective. Which is great because it means that all characters are properly fleshed out.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
But that's another perspective. One would be that the fireflies are no better than anyone else. Its arrogant and brutal and completely against any kind of ethics for them to kill a child like that. People whom think its acceptable for them to do that scare me more than people whom empathise with Joels point of view.

Except it's clear that Ellie was okay with it. At least, I'm pretty sure that's implied as strongly as possible without being explicitly stated.

I want to also be clear that I think it's a fantastic ending, despite finding Joel's actions abhorrent. I'm not singling anyone out but some people conflate (dis)approval of a character with (dis)like of the writing.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
"Savage joel....."

The kids were awesome. Holy shit. Good series. I'm gonna miss it.

Lol finished her first video game ever?? Lucky bastard.

Bit concerning seeing their virtual bloodlust when it came to the doctors, guess they all didn't know you could only take out the initial one. Anyway, loved the series, really hope they do Left Behind.

jb1234

Except it's clear that Ellie was okay with it. At least, I'm pretty sure that's implied as strongly as possible without being explicitly stated.

I want to also be clear that I think it's a fantastic ending, despite finding Joel's actions abhorrent. I'm not singling anyone out but some people conflate (dis)approval of a character with (dis)like of the writing.

Is it ever made clear that Ellie had a choice in the matter? I can't clearly remember. If she knew that the procedure was going to kill her, that makes Joel's actions much more questionable to me.

She never knew the procedure would kill her. The closest we got was she was going to go through with it " no matter what ". I personally think she was willing to make the sacrifice to be the cure. Which is what I love about the story. It is so human. Joel was being completely selfish and you knew exactly why he was being selfish and could feel for him. He lost his daughter, struggled in this world to survive, got with Tess and built a companionship with her, then lost Tess, found his brother but they really don't get along well, and despite fighting hard he ended up building a stong bond with Ellie who is a bit of a replacement to his daughter.

He couldn't lose yet another important piece. Most likely he would of just ended it if he did lose her. So yeah, him deciding that maybe there is another person immune and would rather Ellie live is a completely human, selfish decision. He is no hero. He's just a guy lost in this world and doesn't want to lose yet another important person.

Calabi

It's difficult to say whether she consented, even if she did, she's surrounded by adult's, telling her thing's, over inflating things and maybe even lying who know's its very shady. And even if she's older or wiser and they arent pressuring her, consent doesnt make it ok.

There's no reason scientifically why they could not wait until she was dead, by natural causes or otherwise, they survived well enough, long enough so far. It's only their corruption their desperation, their moral abrogation, that turns them to using someone as a thing. And their not desperate because society is suddenly dying. Society has already crumbled, their desperate because their losing.

Scientists and people have done so much fucked up things in the name of the many of the group. As if only the group matters. Justifying anything because the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few(its just a statement and meaningless, used to justify abhorrent acts). When nature wise its the individuals that matter, the group surviving is just a side effect. Even then you can see with these people its not the many's survival that matters to them its usually their selfish survival(would they, would you happily sacrifice a potential long happy life for the good of the species?). There just using it as an excuse, using their tricks of supposed righteous morality to gain power, notoriety and survive and they don't care who they have to abuse to do it.

It's highly unlikely the Fireflies would freely distribute the cure. Their against the current governments at least what's left of them.

But I cant understand why people may empathise with the Fireflies maybe they haven't thought about it enough or maybe they are being selfish. Joel's actions whilst abhorrent are much more truer to me.

danmaku

Brilliant.

Same here. The last part felt a lot like Spec Ops: The Line to me, in the sense that I wanted to get to the end but I hated what I was doing the whole time.

Alucrid

Banned
lol we're still having the same discussions regarding the ending. god, those threads were great/awful at launch

but let's be honest, this is some stupid bullshit.

oh you haven't played enough games to truly appreciate this art

please

kyser73

As someone who finished my first play though on PS4, the ending was something really special. It's genuinely rare in games to show morality in that kind of grey.

Under no normal circumstances could a 14 year old be legally allowed to consent to experimental surgery that would kill them. It's never made clear if she's given informed consent to the operation anyway, but what traumatised person, especially a 14 year old (who we later find out is semi-suicidal) is going to be able to make that choice? Especially if they're being coerced by adults telling them it's the only hope for mankind or similar.

Joel's actions, as have been said, are brutal, stupid & savage, but very, very human. By this point he clearly sees Ellie as Sarah, and the situation he's presented with is the government killing another little girl.

Another poster up thread said it - during the epilogue I felt myself distancing from Joel, and by the time I was controlling Ellie everything he said felt wrong & forced and the lies seemed worse than when he'd lied before.

But goddamn - what an amazing game. Presentation, gameplay, acting , sound design. None of it ever felt cheap - cheesy maybe, but not cheap - and some genuinely chilling & terrfying moments.

The funniest thing is I never felt scared by the Infected...I did every single time I met a human though. Winter, followed by the very beginning of Spring until they go down the stairs after the giraffes, is one of the best narrative sequences in a game I've come across.

xaosslug

they all wanted to kill Ellie on a wing and a prayer... yeah. Joel was in the right. Ellie has a right to her life just like anyone else. Sorry 'bout eett. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When I played TLoU, I thought there was more ambiguity about finding a cure - like the fireflies hoped it would help them but nothing was certain. But I didn't see that during this playthrough. Maybe I projected that in order to help me reconcile Joel's decision?

AniHawk

When I played TLoU, I thought there was more ambiguity about finding a cure - like the fireflies hoped it would help them but nothing was certain. But I didn't see that during this playthrough. Maybe I projected that in order to help me reconcile Joel's decision?

i still think it's ambiguous. they say they can reverse-engineer a cure but i think that's marlene being incredibly hopeful.

Gurish

As someone who finished my first play though on PS4, the ending was something really special. It's genuinely rare in games to show morality in that kind of grey.

Under no normal circumstances could a 14 year old be legally allowed to consent to experimental surgery that would kill them. It's never made clear if she's given informed consent to the operation anyway, but what traumatised person, especially a 14 year old (who we later find out is semi-suicidal) is going to be able to make that choice? Especially if they're being coerced by adults telling them it's the only hope for mankind or similar.

Joel's actions, as have been said, are brutal, stupid & savage, but very, very human. By this point he clearly sees Ellie as Sarah, and the situation he's presented with is the government killing another little girl.

Another poster up thread said it - during the epilogue I felt myself distancing from Joel, and by the time I was controlling Ellie everything he said felt wrong & forced and the lies seemed worse than when he'd lied before.

But goddamn - what an amazing game. Presentation, gameplay, acting , sound design. None of it ever felt cheap - cheesy maybe, but not cheap - and some genuinely chilling & terrfying moments.

The funniest thing is I never felt scared by the Infected...I did every single time I met a human though. Winter, followed by the very beginning of Spring until they go down the stairs after the giraffes, is one of the best narrative sequences in a game I've come across.

Great post and analysis, always nice to see more people fall in love with this amazing game.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I watched this (well, the first three episodes and last two or three) without having ever played the game. That was a mistake, as I enjoyed what I saw and it would have been better to play it.

RytGear

i still think it's ambiguous. they say they can reverse-engineer a cure but i think that's marlene being incredibly hopeful.

Not even a cure, a vaccine. All this is going to do is stop you turning if you get bit or breath in the spores. There are still hordes of clickers, bloaters, hunters etc ready to kill you and I think the world is beyond repairing at this point.

I think although Joel's decision wasn't 100% moral, I absolutely would have done the same thing for the people I love. It's not a nice decision to make but I think it was the right one for him.

I loved the way that the players understood this as the entire game is designed to make you resent Ellie at the start and build a bond so strong with her that you would understand a decision like this. Fantastic writing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
First time I've ever watched a Let's Play. It was AWESOME! I can't do this with alot of games, but this one was well worth it.

Vashetti

Banned
Not even a cure, a vaccine. All this is going to do is stop you turning if you get bit or breath in the spores. There are still hordes of clickers, bloaters, hunters etc ready to kill you and I think the world is beyond repairing at this point.

Wouldn't the infected all eventually starve? As long as humans are alive and taking out infected whenever they see them, I think humanity could prosper again in that world.

Qassim

Watched their reaction to the ending, one of them pointed out Joel touching his watch (which Sarah gave to him) - never noticed that before, that's a nice touch. Actually reminded me how great that ending was for me, it summed up the theme of the game so well.

Stiler

She had one of the BEST turn arounds in this series.

Starting off with TLOU she didn't even like Ellie that much and then by the end she freaking loves her.

Ellie had no idea what would happen to her, she didn't know to get the cure the doctors would have to do what they were planning.

Throughout this entire game it was the humans who did the most harm to Joel.

They took Sarah, Tess, the people he cared for the most were all taken by the humans and not the infected.

Then they were about to take Ellie, the last person in the world he cared for.

In Joel's mindset it was the people who kept taking everything from him. Was it selfish? Yes. Did he doom mankind? We may never know since there was a chance it wouldn't have even worked in the first place it's a toss up.

You're horrified by what Joel did because you're looking at it from the outside rather then through his eyes and his mindset.

DasPrints

She had one of the BEST turn arounds in this series.

Starting off with TLOU she didn't even like Ellie that much and then by the end she freaking loves her.

Ellie had no idea what would happen to her, she didn't know to get the cure the doctors would have to do what they were planning.

Throughout this entire game it was the humans who did the most harm to Joel.

They took Sarah, Tess, the people he cared for the most were all taken by the humans and not the infected.

Then they were about to take Ellie, the last person in the world he cared for.

In Joel's mindset it was the people who kept taking everything from him. Was it selfish? Yes. Did he doom mankind? We may never know since there was a chance it wouldn't have even worked in the first place it's a toss up.

You're horrified by what Joel did because you're looking at it from the outside rather then through his eyes and his mindset.

Well Tess got bit so the infected took her effectively. The guys shooting her was more of a mercy than anything.

Bio

Pfft, I was definitely all for it too. It's the goddamn apocalypse, the only thing that matters is personal connections, those murdering assholes deserved it.

eFKac

Haha that's not a bad bump, but honestly I have expected that they decided to do Left Behind, so I'm still disapointed :p

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Thanks, I stopped watching these but TLOU playthrough were so good. I hope it's the same people that played it.
Yup, same cast.

Man, it's really cool to see how hyped they all got watching the trailer. I remember the days when that blonde girl Morgan was hating on Ellie so hard when they first started playing. Now she's pretty much a diehard fan lol

Top Bottom