• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Jin, Devil Jin and Josie revealed.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah I forgot he was in. Hopefully it's just a few moves because I liked their idea of not putting in clones. Jin is so different from DVJ now that I don't consider them clones anymore.

Jin and Devil Jin were never clones, there's barely anything shared between them. They're not similar at all.

Bergerac

Oh, just learned Josie Rizal is Filipino so she will automatically be my new main going forward.

Harada actually listened then. I have been tweeting him a few times a year for a Filipino character and made a Facebook support group at one point lol.

I can't believe you finally won LOL

Josie's fighting style looks awesome. Her design, though... Ugh (with all due respect to the people that designed her).

Why do the Tekken character designers insist on going after a "Japanese pop idol" look/demeanor for almost all of their female characters? It's a slightly annoying trend. I wouldn't have had a damn clue she's Filipina if it wasn't mentioned in this thread.

Long gone are the days of the Tekken 2 female roster, which was awesome :-(

ZeroX03

Banned
They had a lot of shared moves in T5, but yeah that's what I'm saying. They're completely different now.

Such as? I'm struggling to think of any moves that share the same properties between them and only a few with similar animations. Looking at a move list the only move that seems to be the same is d+1.

jett

D-Member
They are a bunch of normals stringed together mostly.
Jin seems to do his 1+2 ORAORA rush slightly extended into the 3D movie Heihachi ownage one.

Ya maybe, but like the camera angles and stuff also make them seem like an afterthought.

Niitris

Why do the Tekken character designers insist on going after a "Japanese pop idol" look/demeanor for almost all of their female characters?

1l4qM.jpg

Yeah it's kinda annoying. I don't have an issue on a personal level but yeah, design versatility's kinda lacking.

lupinko

That's a completely different interpretation of Muay Thai compared to what Bruce uses. This doesn't remove Bruce from the series, hell Bryan also does Kickboxing, and all the Mishimas and Devil Jin all do the same shit.

Klossen

Banned
Josie's fighting style looks awesome. Her design, though... Ugh (with all due respect to the people that designed her).

Why do the Tekken character designers insist on going after a "Japanese pop idol" look/demeanor for almost all of their female characters? It's a slightly annoying trend. I wouldn't have had a damn clue she's Filipina if it wasn't mentioned in this thread.

Long gone are the days of the Tekken 2 female roster, which was awesome :-(

Harada is a huge Idolmaster fan so that's probably a likely reason. It's also to do with Japan itself having a major shift in what is considered appealing character design. 90's anime and videogames were partly inspired by western media and fashion trends. The modern Japanese industry of games and anime have somewhat moved away from that. This is why the art design comes off as more polarizing.

StayDead

Josie looks really cool! Jins outfit is kinda weird, but I'm too used to his just "trousers" and bare chest outfit due to the amount of Project X Zone I played hah.

Talax

Such as? I'm struggling to think of any moves that share the same properties between them and only a few with similar animations. Looking at a move list the only move that seems to be the same is d+1.

Corpse Thrust had the same animation back then. Same frames as well. Some throws. f,f+2 (don't remember the name) was same. Double lift kick as well I think, although I think DVJ has the first kick on low.

Josie looks really cool! Jins outfit is kinda weird, but I'm too used to his just "trousers" and bare chest outfit due to the amount of Project X Zone I played hah.

That's his best outfit for me as well. I usually just change the colour of his trouser flames to blue and that's it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Corpse Thrust had the same animation back then. Same frames as well. Some throws. f,f+2 (don't remember the name) was same. Double lift kick as well I think, although I think DVJ has the first kick on low.

So all of five moves? That's about the same as Hei and Kaz and is certainly not a lot of shared moves. Not clones and it was never even close.

CSX

Jin's new kick finisher awww yisssss. His power crash move too as well.

Devil Jin is new top tier confirmed :p

OrochiJR

Interesting to see a brand new fighting style. Although it really looks a lot like Muay Thai. But Bruce Lee once said something along the lines that many fighting styles look similar since humans only have 2 arms and 2 legs and you can only do so many different strikes using those.

Talax

So all of five moves? That's about the same as Hei and Kaz and is certainly not a lot of shared moves. Not clones and it was never even close.

Well there was WS+2 as well.
And b,f+2,1,2 was similar.
WS+4

:p

But I'll admit I'm exaggerating. There really were not too many moves that were similar. Maybe it felt to me more because all his moves felt like variations of his original moves.

QuadOpto

So, was there like any actual confirmation that she actually replaced Bruce or was that just a bunch of nonsense people wanted to throw out for more negativity?

You know, showing that there are time-released characters now kind of bolsters the chance that by console release, more old faves will probably be in the game.

Galdelico

Always so much negativity when a new character is shown. Josie is adorable and has a great fighting style to boot.

So, was there like any actual confirmation that she actually replaced Bruce or was that just a bunch of nonsense people wanted to throw out for more negativity?

You know, showing that there are time-released characters now kind of bolsters the chance that by console release, more old faves will probably be in the game.

Since when a fair and politely expressed dislike has started to get labeled as 'negativity'? I find it so silly, it makes me think of some fans as 'tekkenists', more than anything else. :D

Is that a thing for other fighting games too? I've never read such comments in DoA/SF/GG threads.

Pachimari

Since when a fair and politely expressed dislike has started to get labeled as 'negativity'? I find it so silly, it makes me think of some fans as 'tekkenists', more than anything else. :D

Is that a thing for other fighting games too? I've never read such comments in DoA/SF/GG threads.
There have been a lot of repeated "negativism" going on in our Tekken community toward Tekken 7, but people's complaints are pretty much valid.

Luna Sy

Neo Member
Josie reminds me of Elena from Street Fighter.

I heard the Philippines is one of those few places where Tekken is significantly more popular than Street Fighter or any other fighting game out there. In that case, I think this serves as a rather nice acknowledgement of that, in a way.

AZYG4LYFE

Neo Member
Josie looks beautiful, some of the moves I saw in the trailer borrowed from Bruce include 3+4 for S! and ws+2,1 to her sway. Her wall carry potential looks amazing.

Pachimari

Yeah, this is no way Yan Yaw, you need sticks for that. So she's officially Eskrima huh?

Also, the headband is fine but PLEASE get rid of the ears. It have nothing to do with Filipino culture, style or design.

QuadOpto

I was honestly asking if there was any official word whether or not characters like Bruce and the like were actually 'replaced' by these new characters, and as such were never gonna be in the actual game.

I mean, even as a fan who's not super-into the series, I find it somewhat hard to parse what is and is not true when the first 2 pages of the thread are stating "Bruce is replaced", "hate that this new character is replacing Bruce" in all seriousness. :p

EDIT: Or does "Replaced" here mean more akin to "More people would use her now instead of Bruce if he was included" kinda deal?...I'm honestly confused.

I will admit that I like Josie and her fighting style though, especially since I've been looking for someone I'd be interested to learn since my previous Main hasn't been confirmed or released yet!

Pachimari

I'm alright with her design but those ears need to be gone. They probably won't, as to attract the Japanese and probably the whole Asian market.

Momentary

Banned
So now we got an Eskrima character... Even though, she looks very similar to Bruce in terms of fighting style. That's fine with me. Since she plays similar to Bruce, I'm going to be maining her.

Really liking Josie. She looks stunning and seems to have a bright and happy disposition. On top of all that her fighting style looks brutal.

The Lucky Chloe vs. Josie battles will be tons of fun. :)

Top Bottom