• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

So deep most people drowned.

MM9KGBn.gif
lol
2020 and people still finding shit
if it was played

A combo variation being equated to depth makes my brain hurt. The computational differences in TTT2's combo system are huge, but if Harada decided to turn combos into quick time events (already are to some extent for the victim). Tekken would not lose any depth.

People would initially be mad to lose their painter's canvas to draw misery for opponents, but would see that the combo system really has very few meaningful choices (what depth is made out of).

GrayFoxPL

A combo variation being equated to depth makes my brain hurt. The computational differences in TTT2's combo system are huge, but if Harada decided to turn combos into quick time events (already are to some extent for the victim). Tekken would not lose any depth.

People would initially be mad to lose their painter's canvas to draw misery for opponents, but would see that the combo system really has very few meaningful choices (what depth is made out of).

I didn't mean combos. Just pointed out most players got lost in Tag2 depth.

Tekken would lose some depth without vast combo possibilities. Already lost little in T7 without refloat reset options.

AAK

Completely disagree with you there man. That wasn't a combo at all. What happened right there is an okizeme situation never before seen in the series. The reason it impresses me so much is that it's like a 2D mechanic incorporated in the 3D game so well.

That Capo okizeme tech trap along with the stuff JFJ and PLing come up with is the equivalent of a Dhalsim super into teleport setup. While trivial in a 2D game, I loved how they made that brand new mechanic never before seen in the series work thanks to tag assault.

Manbig

Completely disagree with you there man. That wasn't a combo at all. What happened right there is an okizeme situation never before seen in the series. The reason it impresses me so much is that it's like a 2D mechanic incorporated in the 3D game so well.

That Capo okizeme tech trap along with the stuff JFJ and PLing come up with is the equivalent of a Dhalsim super into teleport setup. While trivial in a 2D game, I loved how they made that brand new mechanic never before seen in the series work thanks to tag assault.

Jump over oki into free damage always existed in the series. It used to be way more harsh before Tekken 6 changed turn around speed too. The only difference there is that it was set up through the tag system, but please don't confuse that for some revolutionary new mechanic for the series.

AAK

This mechanic works even without jump over. You can even use it for other setups like Bryan's charged f,f+3 where you can still stay on the same side and catch techrollers. The core difference here is how you can possibly now have multiple attacks on screen simultaneously which most definitely wasn't previously possible.

Sure, I guess in the end it's another permutation of a tech trap that indeed always has been present in previous games. However, the implementation of tag assault opened up so many more different & unique possibilities where I I feel it deserves to be looked at separately from the standard jump over tech-traps.

Sayah

Most interesting part for me was how Abel dropped the game winning combo in the 4th round of the 1st game. Had he done that it would have been over. But Harry Potter also dropped a game winning combo in the 4th game as well that Abel made a comeback from.

More Capo tomfoolery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNeCSTTkcmE

3W9GoCi.gif

The simple fact all this stuff is possible in a 3D game yet still balanced for competitive play to this day impresses me. And seeing the development team capable of all this is what initially put such high expectations for when they would make a brand new title.

Yep.
TTT2 never ceases to amaze me.

It's crazy how they managed to balance this game so well despite how many different variables the tag assault introduced into the gameplay.

Manbig

This mechanic works even without jump over. You can even use it for other setups like Bryan's charged f,f+3 where you can still stay on the same side and catch techrollers. The core difference here is how you can possibly now have multiple attacks on screen simultaneously which most definitely wasn't previously possible.

Sure, I guess in the end it's another permutation of a tech trap that indeed always has been present in previous games. However, the implementation of tag assault opened up so many more different & unique possibilities where I I feel it deserves to be looked at separately from the standard jump over tech-traps.

Sure, I guess, but seeing as how they constantly made an effort to nerf both of those kinds of traps between jump over oki and unblockable oki, the fact that it made it through speaks to how poorly thought out this all was.

I don't give a shit about this "depth" if it just adds up to making one of the worst parts of Tekken (high damage) that much worse.

AAK

Dang, he replied within 6 hours! What a trooper.
What are you doing awake at 5 AM!? :p

In other news, Mortal Kombat X has now long passed 5 million sales... It's now probably* sold more than every Tekken game except T2 and T3. Hope Namco takes a hint at how much of the mature market they're missing out on.

Numb

Next gen systems without much fighters this late. I guess they are cool with cross gen stuff. Wish fighters went back to showcasing new hardware.

Dereck

When MKX does numbers like that, they know that the online complaints is the minority. I don't think they give a shit, but seriously, fix the online.

Numb

Indeed.
But MK is big cos it's MK. They know what to do to get people excited and market their game. They just release the game and then start balancing in the first year iwith patches instead of balancing in arcade and leaving people dry and thristy.

AAK

MK wasn't even half as big as Tekken during Tekken's inception in the 90's. And then in the PS2-PS3 generation it wasn't even a contest. Now that they have the presentation and gameplay down it exploded bigger than it ever was despite being (IMO) functionally inferior to Tekken.

Now imagine how big Tekken could be if it overhauled its presentation and gameplay like MK did.

AAK

Maybe Namco deems Soul Calibur as the title worthy of such an overhaul?

Lol, who am I kidding :p New IP Namco please do it!

Maybe Namco deems Soul Calibur as the title worthy of such an overhaul?

Lol, who am I kidding :p New IP Namco please do it!

New IP after Tekken 7 and TKxSF. Won't be shocked even if it's Namco here.
Maybe after SC6 too?
I'd like to see Namco make a 3D fighting game that utilizes 2D and 3D strengths.

2D
Well defined and diverse character gameplay design
Long range and projectile combat
Viable air combat and crossups
Inescapable command throws
Hit freeze and cancels, specials, supers and meter management

3D
8 directional movement
Back, side, and ground hits
Wall hits and throws and background interaction
Close range fighting variety
Well defined and diverse stage gameplay design

Unfortunately it's so hard for a new IP to get traction these days and it'd be too big a departure to put into Tekken or Soul Calibur.

Numb

Indeed. Rather just continue with what they got or at best revive some old dead one like with KI. When's Weaponlord tho?

GrayFoxPL

IMO best mechanic in 2d fighting games is canceling, special and super + ex moves. Just so fun and satisfying. Kof, Real Bout, MOTW, SF went crazy with it and even Mortal Kombat dropped it's old system in favor of "2 in 1" and EX.

One thing great in SFxTK is that I could finally cancel combos into electric, haha. My hidden dream.

I tell you something. When T7 wasn't yet shown I was secretly hoping the "2D mechanics" Harada speaking about, would end up being special canceling and ex moves.

I even had it "designed" in my mind to limit the possibility of brokenness. Like there only would be 2 stocks of meter, so you could only do 2 cancels or 2 ex moves. And there would be only 3-4 "special/cancel" moves per character. Same with ex moves. I'd probably remove option to cancel from a jab, though.

EX moves themselves would rise the flashiness to the roof. Kaz Ex electric would follow up with massive Thunder God Fist. Heihachi's EX TGF would Combo into smash and floor break like in the CG movie. etc.

I mean let the imagination run wild.

6DLamzf.gif

ZFQ6gTd.gif

2l24Pxg.gif

Funny that Tag2 has this tag throw instead of SxTK. :D

^Presented for flashiness.

SFxTK erly demo also made much better impact on me then the final game.

Tag 2 already little shyly implemented some flashy ideas.

zC5xy7Y.gif

But it's just a little bonus, not really a key gameplay stuff. They could push the ideas into something more. Much more.

But instead we got useless armor moves and dull raw supers :p.

Dereck

Tekken 4 is the best Tekken game to ever exist.

Whenever all of us get enough money and time to go to EVO, I'll bring my PS2, come see this antiquated DSS.

Either that, or like Rip said, need that Tekken 4 Online PSN port.

GrayFoxPL

Whenever all of us get enough money and time to go to EVO, I'll bring my PS2, come see this antiquated DSS.

Tekken 4 Remix(fixed) HD would own.

Never gonna happen.

1.Harada would shoot his dog before doing anything involving T4.

2.They probably have no idea how to fix it. Irregular arenas made for tons of random stuff happening.

I still wanna fight in a car park or break phone booths so bad.

Tekken 4 Remix(fixed) HD would own.

Never gonna happen.

1.Harada would shoot his dog before doing anything involving T4.

2.They probably have no idea how to fix it. Irregular arenas made for tons of random stuff happening.

I still wanna fight in a car park or break phone booths so bad.
DOA seems to manage. Maybe Harada should take Shimbori out for drinks and ask him.

Dereck

I was watching Tekken 4 yesterday, and there is no Tekken game like it. I can't even believe this game exists.

Tekken 4 is the most Dead or Alive Tekken has ever gotten.

Guys check this shit out, this game is unique as fuck. There is a stage with a small building in the middle.

q9XaAVY.gif

When was the last time a Tekken game forced your character to change outfits just to fight the final boss?

3KgVEdQ.gif

5yxzYUU.gif

Man this game is cool as fuck yo. Shit man I don't care about the infinite combos and characters being broken. Hold up one second, I'm about to go down the street and buy like 3 used copes of Tekken 4 real fast.

Sayah

In other news, Mortal Kombat X has now long passed 5 million sales... It's now probably* sold more than every Tekken game except T2 and T3. Hope Namco takes a hint at how much of the mature market they're missing out on.

Great to hear! I will buy MKX soon.........when it's on sale for Black Friday or something.

While I agree that Namco needs to learn a lot from MKX, I still think they do a lot of things better than WB/Netherealm, including but not limited to:

Netcode
Character design (females, in particular)
Character DLC policy (as far as TTT2 anyway)

But I agree on the presentation part and how Tekken is in strong need of a revamp/reboot with a different art style and different look for all the characters. Hopefully a timeskip like Tekken 3 will happen for Tekken 8, if that game ever happens.

Numb

Man this game is cool as fuck yo. Shit man I don't care about the infinite combos and characters being broken. Hold up one second, I'm about to go down the street and buy like 3 used copes of Tekken 4 real fast.

Shame i still played this so little.
That HD bundle with all the Tekkens.
Any day now.

AAK

Man T4's art style was something else...

latest

That shirt he's wearing is SO SICK. The church priest outfit wasn't bad either..

But regardless, Mature Tekken >>>>>> Animu Kawaii Tekken

sasuke_91

Okay guys. TekkenGAF meet-up at EVO in 2 years. I'm there with you :p

Tekken 4 really is the best Tekken. So much love went into this game. The story mode was great and it was the first one where you didn't just play Arcade Mode and got a CG movie at the end. It had a Prologue, Epilogue and movie for every character.
Tekken Force Mode was a lot of fun back then and the fact that the Corridor stage had the best soundtrack in Tekken history (T2 Kazuya Theme) is just another topping to the cake.
Practice mode was split into 2 modes where one was the practice mode we all know and the other was a stage where you had to input several moves for one character as fast as possible. It made me want to learn to input a CD for Jin as fast as possible.
Saving replays was also a thing that didn't make it into Tekken 5. So many great replays I saved back then :D

MikeMyers

Wikipedia list of best selling ps2 games has Tekken 5 at 6 million. Dunno how accurate that is.

GrayFoxPL

I was watching Tekken 4 yesterday, and there is no Tekken game like it. I can't even believe this game exists.

Tekken 4 is the most Dead or Alive Tekken has ever gotten.

Guys check this shit out, this game is unique as fuck. There is a stage with a small building in the middle.

q9XaAVY.gif

When was the last time a Tekken game forced your character to change outfits just to fight the final boss?

3KgVEdQ.gif

5yxzYUU.gif

I love T4 arenas. Even the simple one like Honmaru was made with so much attention to detail and style, it's a marvel. Echo and steam in lab stage, fantastic.

Fighting in underground car park, smashing fools into cars, busting pillars.

Love fighting on a roof. Helicopter causing wind.

Landing strip? All this free space but you can get under a plane and whack a dude onto it?

Brilliant stuff. Absolutely one of a kind and amazing. Those colors, that music, character models and atmosphere!

I said it million times: we would be playing a totally, incredibly different game/s if T4 was a success.

Tekken 7 stages look so shit and plastic it's depressing. If the best looking stage is redesigned T5 one, it says something. Mishima dojo holds decently among the shitty rest. T6 and T5 stages were simple but at least the background and setting looked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom