• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Tekken Team should get in on this Licensed Game Craze and bring us a updated Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters.
tumblr_o5ygytx0Pm1qatzh4o1_1280.jpg

Inskipp

What types of attacks can be dodged by side-stepping? I've managed to sidestep generic jump-kicks, and am wondering if there are other similar examples in which side-stepping could be applicable.

Doomshine

What types of attacks can be dodged by side-stepping? I've managed to sidestep generic jump-kicks, and am wondering if there are other similar examples in which side-stepping could be applicable.

Depends on the move. Some attacks don't track at all and some track to one direction. Homing moves track both directions.

hypernima

Banned
I haven't played Tekken since 3. So I'm here. Never been much into 3D games outside of soul. I need to learn the notation and terminology.

GrayFoxPL

Generally if something goes forward like Paul's deathfist you can side step it. Test it.

HeelPower

I feel like I wanna vent about the game.

Other than the absolute core game,I am starting to think its disappointing in several aspects.

Visuals,load times,terrible facial animations,subpar character models,terribad online.

When you factor in the wait involved ,the fact that they got a stream of funds through arcades and that I shelled out 100$ for the delux edition,I am honestly...so empty right now.

Other than the absolute core game,I am starting to think its disappointing in several aspects.

Visuals,load times,terrible facial animations,subpar character models,terribad online.

When you factor in the wait involved ,the fact that they got a stream of funds through arcades and that I shelled out 100$ for the delux edition,I am honestly...so empty right now.

The lack of communication about any of the free DLC is really disappointing. I can't believe they haven't announced anything at E3. I want to know what my $60 is buying, because it sure doesn't feel like a $60 experience right now. Especially with this janky netcode and the fact things are buggy and there's a general lack of QoL features. I mean the gameplay is generally great except for the SF meter trash, but outside of that it's an empty offline experience. Treasure mode is a means to an end, it's not fun on its own.

Finally got to play 15 mins of tekken 2/3s of the way through my finals and first off da load times are trash. most importantly, i didn't care for shaheen too much in vanilla but gotta say his RD has converted me. longggg hit confirm window and only -6 on block is stupid good.

HeelPower

The lack of communication about any of the free DLC is really disappointing. I can't believe they haven't announced anything at E3. I want to know what my $60 is buying, because it sure doesn't feel like a $60 experience right now. Especially with this janky netcode and the fact things are buggy and there's a general lack of QoL features. I mean the gameplay is generally great except for the SF meter trash, but outside of that it's an empty offline experience. Treasure mode is a means to an end, it's not fun on its own.

I'll get flack for this but I really,really dislike the mechanical SF intrusion on the game.

Its really out of place and ridiculous.I think Rage arts got really fucking old really quick too.

karasu

I hate rage arts, man. Not that I lose to them. It's just annoying how they stop the match and people predictably throw out this powerful move as a reward for losing.

Dereck

Feel free to vent here.

AAK

I've pretty much had it with ranked. Made it as far as warrior but at that point the pool of available players is getting smaller and smaller all while the average connection qualities are getting worse and worse. The number of times I'm getting "connection is lost" is still way too damned much. Unless Namco can improve this PS4 netcode I'm going to have to settle with playing lobbies with people within my province. The game can still be fun when I do that.

Bronson's online tournament is gonna be a blowup with guys like Fab having to battle PLing coast to coast on PS4 netcode.

And speaking of lobbies, I'm going to throw the assumption that whoever was responsible for the online QoL in TTT2 must have moved on from Namco or got transferred to another game like Pokken/Ace Combat or something. It is so frustrating trying to disband or leave a lobby and one player has already accepted a match and you can't do anything except turn the game off form the PS4 XMB. I was so mad I decided to play some other game for the rest of my playtime for the day.

Dereck

One thing I forgot you could do in Tag 2 was that you could record matches of other people playing in your lobby, and for a little while you could download replays from other players in the online menu.

HeelPower

I hate rage arts, man. Not that I lose to them. It's just annoying how they stop the match and people predictably throw out this powerful move as a reward for losing.

Rage arts are tacky and cheesy AF.At least they are all severely punishable.

Feel free to vent here.

The game is still good because its Tekken ,and the actual core game is why I am here.(still hate akuma & eliza though)

But,technically,its seriously underwhelming. The music is easily the worst of the series (Jukebox saves it) ,and the intro and victory animations are so poorly made relative to T6 and TT2.Seriously just look at Katarina's face.She barely emotes at all.

Online is garbo on PSN,Load times are a pain. There are so many little issues that add up and piss me off.

I still prefer the game to TT2 overall but its not perfect.

Rajang

I love this game.

Same, but there are things that could be improved obviously.

- Can only rematch once in ranked (should be FT3)
- Can't leave a player room when there are people playing (WTF is this)
- Awful load times on PS4
- Inconsistent netcode on PS4

PC version is incredible, best netcode and lowest input lag. If it had jukebox it would be the best version by far. T7 OST is just awful, I only like a few tunes.

Hyun Sai

In my opinion, TTT2 is still the better game overall, even if it lacks the "hype" of the rage system. What kills T7 is the worse netcode (I play on PS4) and the archaic online sytem, unacceptable these days.

I don't even want to make lobbies with friends anymore when I think of all the stupid things we have to endure.

Sad to say, the game is saved by the jukebox.

HeelPower

In my opinion, TTT2 is still the better game overall, even if it lacks the "hype" of the rage system. What kills T7 is the worse netcode (I play on PS4) and the archaic online sytem, unacceptable these days.

I don't even want to make lobbies with friends anymore when I think of all the stupid things we have to endure.

Sad to say, the game is saved by the jukebox.

TTT2 was insanely complicated and difficult to play.To the point of not being very fun.

I think they struck a much better balance between depth and accessibility with T7 than either 6 or TT2(lack of tutorials notwithstanding)

But,yeah, T7 needs more polish yet.

GrayFoxPL

But,yeah, T7 needs more polish yet.

Yeah, me. :(
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought fighting commander 4 in desperation but the d-pad is too stiff. I mean likely perfect for "normal" player but I need hyper loose one to do anything. I couldn't block Xiaoyu lows when I knew and saw them beforehand.

I'm losing hope I'll be ever able to play T7 like I used to others. Feels like punishment.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Damage scaling is bonkers too. I did various combos with Paul and more hits the less damage. His best generic bnb is launcher like qcf+1, df+1 b, 4S!, deathfist - 68 points everything else goes from 62-66. Stuff like qcf+1,b+3,3,2,b+1,2S! Demo Man is less damage then simplest 4 hit deathfist combo mentioned above. Longer combos only for wall carry. No point other then that.

This isn't really true at all, you just haven't learned optimal combos.

from qcf+1 launcher

1. qcf+1 ; qcf+1 ; qcf+1 ; b+1,2 ; S! ; dash ; qcf+2 (C) - 80 dmg
2. qcf+1 ; 3,2 ; b+1,2 ; S! ; dash ; qcf+2 (C) - 75 dmg
3. qcf+1 ; qcf+1 ; d/f+1~b ; 4 ; S! ; dash ; qcf+1 ; qcf+2 - 76 dmg
http://forums.tekkengamer.com/viewtopic.php?t=147

The difference between optimal and suboptimal combos isn't as great as before, but it's still there.

Dereck

Tekken 7 has been out in stores for 3 weeks but it feels like it's been out for 3 months. I haven't played it or a few days now and the proverbial honey moon stage lasted for a about 2 weeks after the game came out, or 2 weeks and a few days since Walmart put it on sale in my city 2 days early.

Even with the new graphics, gameplay elements, characters and stages it's a lot more of been there done that with Tekken besides the story. After I completed that though I was just going through the motions. Besides the game itself, Tekken 7 has generally been enjoyable to watch on Twitch. Nowadays I can't even muster playing the game because it's too familiar and my enjoyment of it reached a wall pretty quickly.

Because the game is out now, there's a lot less to talk about since most of my time and energy went into Tekken 7 release date improv related jokes. I have solely watched streams, which is the only thing I've been doing associated with this game besides reading people talk about it. Personally the release of this game, to keep it short has made me realize how bereft I was in other activities or topics to be preoccupied with. My passion and love has been dramatically ebbed, Tekken 7 has pretty much released me from my own commitment to the series overall.

GrayFoxPL

This isn't really true at all, you just haven't learned optimal combos.

from qcf+1 launcher

1. qcf+1 ; qcf+1 ; qcf+1 ; b+1,2 ; S! ; dash ; qcf+2 (C) - 80 dmg
2. qcf+1 ; 3,2 ; b+1,2 ; S! ; dash ; qcf+2 (C) - 75 dmg
3. qcf+1 ; qcf+1 ; d/f+1~b ; 4 ; S! ; dash ; qcf+1 ; qcf+2 - 76 dmg
http://forums.tekkengamer.com/viewtopic.php?t=147

The difference between optimal and suboptimal combos isn't as great as before, but it's still there.

If can do 3 or 4 (lol)qcf+1 in a row online you're a cyborg because you gotta be frame perfect and can't buffer anything. Those are super hard to do even offline.

Have you tried it?

Rajang

Tekken 7 has been out in stores for 3 weeks but it feels like it's been out for 3 months. I haven't played it or a few days now and the proverbial honey moon stage lasted for a about 2 weeks after the game came out, or 2 weeks and a few days since Walmart put it on sale in my city 2 days early.

Even with the new graphics, gameplay elements, characters and stages it's a lot more of been there done that with Tekken besides the story. After I completed that though I was just going through the motions. Besides the game itself, Tekken 7 has generally been enjoyable to watch on Twitch. Nowadays I can't even muster playing the game because it's too familiar and my enjoyment of it reached a wall pretty quickly.

Because the game is out now, there's a lot less to talk about since most of my time and energy went into Tekken 7 release date improv related jokes. I have solely watched streams, which is the only thing I've been doing associated with this game besides reading people talk about it. Personally the release of this game, to keep it short has made me realize how bereft I was in other activities or topics to be preoccupied with. My passion and love has been dramatically ebbed, Tekken 7 has pretty much released me from my own commitment to the series overall.

Damn, this is the complete opposite for me. To me it feels like the game came out only a couple of days ago.

Vg4wDF1.png

Nice job there Namco with the console ports.

I do agree. I normally play on steam but tried a ps4 session with a friend last week. I thought I felt some input delay but maybe it could just be my tv. But I play other fighting games on ps4, so it would be weird if it only was a T7 tv problem.

Well, you are welcome to play me again, Dereck. I would likely feel the same way about Tekken if Xiaoyu wasn't in it. It will be 15 years this Christmas since I began playing her in Tekken 4, and to this day I have not seen the bottom of her deep pool of gameplay and moves.

Speaking of, I finally did it. I made a tutorial for Ling Xiaoyu. And no not an hour long tutorial. Check it out! (If anything is bad about it, let me know. I want to become better at this stuff, not have my ego stroked)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F2bg73HoSE

And yes, PC version all the way! And no it isn't that expensive since Tekken 7 is super well optimized. Recommended specs are what you need for higher than 1080p gaming. If you just want 1080p60fps, you can easily build a PC at the cost of a PS4 Pro to even less than.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Vg4wDF1.png

Nice job there Namco with the console ports.

I honestly don't even feel like playing it on the PS4 anymore. Aris doesn't either and he's pretty adamant about it. If Aris can get the top players to jump in, and then people follow them, this could be a good thing. No fighting game has ever been the main on PC but something like Tekken surely deserves to be.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, part of me wants to jump to PC, too, but I don't think my computer can run it even at minimum -- especially if I want to stream it.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7700
16 GB RAM

Would that even be enough? I can't really afford to upgrade, so I'll have to stick with PS4.

Hyun Sai

I honestly don't even feel like playing it on the PS4 anymore. Aris doesn't either and he's pretty adamant about it. If Aris can get the top players to jump in, and then people follow them, this could be a good thing. No fighting game has ever been the main on PC but something like Tekken surely deserves to be.

I sadly agree. PS4 version is an embarassment.

Spuck-uk

Banned
If can do 3 or 4 (lol)qcf+1 in a row online you're a cyborg because you gotta be frame perfect and can't buffer anything. Those are super hard to do even offline.

Have you tried it?

I can do the second combo for 75 damage very easily, yes. The 4xQCF1 combo is balls hard, but it's nice that theres that level of optimisation to go for with combos.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Online PC and offline PS4 are great.

Online PS4 though, definitely some issues. Been impressed with how quickly they've been moving to get fixes out though. Compare and contrast to...other developers.

Reposting here. I don't think the Tekken 7 thread is hardcore enough.

Starting to become frustrated with Ling.

She has NO quick launchers, no low strings that become launcher combo. d/f+2~1 is the most garbage launcher I've ever seen on a list. You will hit exactly NOBODY with how slow it is. Her most reliable launcher is SS+3 which most people will see coming a mile away (compare to Katarina or Bryan Fury's equivalent which do not require SS)

In fact, all her lows are really to get people ducking so they can eat mids.

The only reliable punisher she has is b+4,4

SS+3 is her only reliable low with knockdown. It used to be AOP 4~3, but either AOP does not duck under mids like it used to or everyone is using moves to hit her before 4~3 can come out.

Also, she doesn't have any combos that take off 50% plus health without wall splat. On the other hand, I've been taken from one side of the room to another with Kazumi , Jack, Leo, Katarina like my opponents are dialing combos in Killer Instinct.

You know how frustrating it is to get frame locked by jabs against Bryan Fury, Steve, or even Josie kicks? Ling has zero answers for that kind of stuff because everything she does needs setup/windup.

I've mained Link for years, but her weaknesses are glaring.

AND HOLY CRAP, I Leo can punish Ling's RDS 4 on block with a LAUNCHING UPPERCUT.

WTF! RDS 4 is used to create SPACE in poking mixups. UNREAL

AAK

Bro... I don't think you understand the logic behind how certain moves in Tekken work. Having a bunch of downtime at work right now so I can actually reply to this.

She has NO quick launchers, no low strings that become launcher combo. d/f+2~1 is the most garbage launcher I've ever seen on a list. You will hit exactly NOBODY with how slow it is. Her most reliable launcher is SS+3 which most people will see coming a mile away (compare to Katarina or Bryan Fury's equivalent which do not require SS)

Let's talk about "quick launchers". How quick a launcher is, is based on how many frames of startup it takes. Kazuya is the only character with a 13 frame launcher that is done w/ a double just frame. (ignoring outliers like ws moves, bt moves, & things like flash) After that a handful of characters have 14 frame launchers like Bryan, Lars, Paul, other Mishima's, and including... Ling. f+3 is an EXTREMELY easy input 14 frame launcher. She can get a guaranteed f,f+3 into BT d+3,4 bound after.

And your comment about d/f+2~1 being slow, it's 15 frames, the standard speed of a launcher of any character. If you're claiming "NOBODY" will get hit by it, then no one should get hit by any other character's 15 frame launchers either. You should compare Xiaoyu's range of d/f+2~1 with Hwoarang's d/f+2 or Feng's u/f+4 among other standard 15 frame launchers to see how much more range hers is. d/f+2~1 is also one of the if not the fastest moves any character in Tekken has to hit opponents that stay grounded in a knocked down position.

And SS+3, along with Bryan/Katarina's snake edges are terrible moves to just throw out. All of them are 3x slower than Ling's d/f+2~1 and significantly more punishable. The only reason you'd ever want to use them in this game is if you know you're opponent is doing a high move that you know a snake edge will crush and hit them before they recover. Ling's SS+3 is also unique where she can cancel out of it to make your opponent second guess. You're not supposed to use it as a launcher.

Tekken's gameplay design doesn't complement throwing launchers back and forth at all. Launchers are meant to be risky. When blocked they either lead to you getting guaranteed punished or in a position where you have to eat a mixup. Hence launchers are meant to be saved for when your opponent makes a mistake. When you look at launchers from that perspective Ling has just as many viable tools as other characters. There are some launchers that you may see get thrown out quite a bit but they have some caveats to them like EWGF's which are high and require hard execution, or Ling's AOP 1+2 which are slower than usual and used when the opponent is already in a defensive position where they need to guess.

The only reliable punisher she has is b+4,4

I don't think you understand the way punishers are work in Tekken either, I'll explain in the context of Ling. When you have a jab punishable move done on you like say Bob's crackerjack headbutt, you can punish with f+1,d+2. That leaves you in backturned with enough advantage to frame trap your opponent if they press buttons or impose another mixup. If your opponent does a move that's a little more punishable like a hopkick, Ling can do her f+1+2 shoulder. And then when they do super unsafe moves like Lili's matterhorn you then use your arsenal of launchers. b+4,4 is a IIRC is a 14 frame move, you don't really need to use that move anymore as a ling player now that f+3 (a move with the exact same speed) but with significantly more reward.

SS+3 is her only reliable low with knockdown. It used to be AOP 4~3, but either AOP does not duck under mids like it used to or everyone is using moves to hit her before 4~3 can come out.

AOP still goes under tons of mids. It's one of the most powerful tools any character has in Tekken. The problem is probably the way you're using it. This is where having some idea of frame data helps you understand the reason why things pan out the way they do. In many situations where Ling is at a -7 or more frame disadvantage state even if she throws out AOP she'll still get clipped since the mid crushing properties of the move haven't been activated yet. (But on a side-note, I'm explaining things in the context of normal conditions. When playing online just throw AOP out liberally, the lag will do wonders for your character)

And AOP 4~3 got a damage boost in this game with free follow ups making it one of the scariest lows in the game. Even when your opponent blocks it, they can't get much reward since she's already in a knock downed position unlike other characters attempting their knockdown lows.

Just watch any videos of PLing, Tanukana, among others and see how they utilize AOP and AOP 4~3 to destroy their opponents.

Also, she doesn't have any combos that take off 50% plus health without wall splat. On the other hand, I've been taken from one side of the room to another with Kazumi , Jack, Leo, Katarina like my opponents are dialing combos in Killer Instinct.

Different characters have different strengths. Ling's archetype was never meant to be a power hitting character. She has so many tools other characters can only dream about that more than make up for less damaging juggles.

You know how frustrating it is to get frame locked by jabs against Bryan Fury, Steve, or even Josie kicks? Ling has zero answers for that kind of stuff because everything she does needs setup/windup.

Jabs are high. Every character can deal with them by ducking or doing high crush moves. Ling actually excels in dealing with these kind of characters with moves like d/f+1 that is a safe, mid hitting poke that will go under other high pokes. It also has above average pushback.

AND HOLY CRAP, I Leo can punish Ling's RDS 4 on block with a LAUNCHING UPPERCUT.

WTF! RDS 4 is used to create SPACE in poking mixups. UNREAL

No. Again, go back to the earlier paragraphs where I was talking about launchers. Mistrust is an insanely fast launcher that leads to big damage. It's design is meant for that, taking risks or punishing whiffs. It has no business being used for creating space. In fact, nearly every character can launch punish that move. In Tekken, you create space with your movement, or pokes that can reset the situation and allow you to backdash a certain distance away.

sasuke_91

Reposting this here as well even if AAK did a better job at explaining things:

Ling is not really made for combos but her damage is better than it was in TTT2 and df+2~1 has decent enough reach. She also got standing 3 for a weaker combo, but it launches your opponent at -14 which is really good.
AOP also got some nice buffs. It still ducks under a lot of mids and still has a mini sidestep to her right. AOP 4~3 gets you in a very favorable position for oki.

SS+3 is slow and shouldn't be thrown out mindlessly. If you hold back she gets into RDS and can launch a ducking opponent with RDS 4 or RDS u/f+4. RDS 4 is -18 though, so basically everybody can launch you for it.
She got some nice low pokes as well. d+3 being really good, u/f+1 is also not bad to use at times and gets you into AOP. AOP+3 is her slide and is really good because her body stays very low and it launches on counterhit. Her rage drive is also a low launcher that is safe on block. In fact it's one of the best rage drives in the game.
SS+4 is also a decent CH launcher that is pretty fast.

In fact, the list goes on and on. Xiaoyu is the strongest she's been in years, you just have to dig deeper into her gameplay. She's not a heavy hitter but she can poke your opponent to death and mixes him up really good.

A few things to add to AAK's post:
Her 14f launcher is a standing 3, not f+3.
b+4,4 can be anywhere between i13 and i15, depending on range.
Her big launcher out of AOP is d+1+2. AOP 1+2 only launches on counterhit.
One thing to also add to her d/f+1 is that it gets you either into normal stance or RDS if you want, again giving you the opportunity to mix up your opponent with backturned shenanigans.

Bro... I don't think you understand the logic behind how certain moves in Tekken work. Having a bunch of downtime at work right now so I can actually reply to this.

Let's talk about "quick launchers". How quick a launcher is, is based on how many frames of startup it takes. Kazuya is the only character with a 13 frame launcher that is done w/ a double just frame. (ignoring outliers like ws moves, bt moves, & things like flash) After that a handful of characters have 14 frame launchers like Bryan, Lars, Paul, other Mishima's, and including... Ling. f+3 is an EXTREMELY easy input 14 frame launcher. She can get a guaranteed f,f+3 into BT d+3,4 bound after.

And your comment about d/f+2~1 being slow, it's 15 frames, the standard speed of a launcher of any character. If you're claiming "NOBODY" will get hit by it, then no one should get hit by any other character's 15 frame launchers either. You should compare Xiaoyu's range of d/f+2~1 with Hwoarang's d/f+2 or Feng's u/f+4 among other standard 15 frame launchers to see how much more range hers is. d/f+2~1 is also one of the if not the fastest moves any character in Tekken has to hit opponents that stay grounded in a knocked down position.

And SS+3, along with Bryan/Katarina's snake edges are terrible moves to just throw out. All of them are 3x slower than Ling's d/f+2~1 and significantly more punishable. The only reason you'd ever want to use them in this game is if you know you're opponent is doing a high move that you know a snake edge will crush and hit them before they recover. Ling's SS+3 is also unique where she can cancel out of it to make your opponent second guess. You're not supposed to use it as a launcher.

Tekken's gameplay design doesn't complement throwing launchers back and forth at all. Launchers are meant to be risky. When blocked they either lead to you getting guaranteed punished or in a position where you have to eat a mixup. Hence launchers are meant to be saved for when your opponent makes a mistake. When you look at launchers from that perspective Ling has just as many viable tools as other characters. There are some launchers that you may see get thrown out quite a bit but they have some caveats to them like EWGF's which are high and require hard execution, or Ling's AOP 1+2 which are slower than usual and used when the opponent is already in a defensive position where they need to guess.

I don't think you understand the way punishers are work in Tekken either, I'll explain in the context of Ling. When you have a jab punishable move done on you like say Bob's crackerjack headbutt, you can punish with f+1,d+2. That leaves you in backturned with enough advantage to frame trap your opponent if they press buttons or impose another mixup. If your opponent does a move that's a little more punishable like a hopkick, Ling can do her f+1+2 shoulder. And then when they do super unsafe moves like Lili's matterhorn you then use your arsenal of launchers. b+4,4 is a IIRC is a 14 frame move, you don't really need to use that move anymore as a ling player now that f+3 (a move with the exact same speed) but with significantly more reward.

AOP still goes under tons of mids. It's one of the most powerful tools any character has in Tekken. The problem is probably the way you're using it. This is where having some idea of frame data helps you understand the reason why things pan out the way they do. In many situations where Ling is at a -7 or more frame disadvantage state even if she throws out AOP she'll still get clipped since the mid crushing properties of the move haven't been activated yet. (But on a side-note, I'm explaining things in the context of normal conditions. When playing online just throw AOP out liberally, the lag will do wonders for your character)

And AOP 4~3 got a damage boost in this game with free follow ups making it one of the scariest lows in the game. Even when your opponent blocks it, they can't get much reward since she's already in a knock downed position unlike other characters attempting their knockdown lows.

Just watch any videos of PLing, Tanukana, among others and see how they utilize AOP and AOP 4~3 to destroy their opponents.

Different characters have different strengths. Ling's archetype was never meant to be a power hitting character. She has so many tools other characters can only dream about that more than make up for less damaging juggles.

Jabs are high. Every character can deal with them by ducking or doing high crush moves. Ling actually excels in dealing with these kind of characters with moves like d/f+1 that is a safe, mid hitting poke that will go under other high pokes. It also has above average pushback.

No. Again, go back to the earlier paragraphs where I was talking about launchers. Mistrust is an insanely fast launcher that leads to big damage. It's design is meant for that, taking risks or punishing whiffs. It has no business being used for creating space. In fact, nearly every character can launch punish that move. In Tekken, you create space with your movement, or pokes that can reset the situation and allow you to backdash a certain distance away.

Ling does not have a f+3 launcher. There's a N3 that becomes a combo though (3, f,f+3, RDS d+3,4 S!)

I guess I am venting that I have literally caught nobody with d/f 2~1 to the point where I don't even use it. I did watch PLing like you suggested (was confused because the Asian dude got up but he was playing Akuma...PLing is *BLACK*), and he used it to punish a missed dragon punch because of his awesome evasion skills. Only folks way down in the kyus wiff on big moves like that.

I tend to play against ppl who abuse frame locks and staggers-on-block.

I do understand that Tekken is about frame data. I'm saying that Ling does not have not have the "take half your health on punish" that so many of the people I'm seeing online have. Bryan, Nina, Kat, Law.

I hate King the most. I have yet to beat one. And Jin completely baffles me with all of his mixups and lows that knock down.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=131984

Ling does not have a f+3 launcher. There's a N3 that becomes a combo though (3, f,f+3, RDS d+3,4 S!)

I guess I am venting that I have literally caught nobody with d/f 2~1 to the point where I don't even use it. I did watch PLing like you suggested (was confused because the Asian dude got up but he was playing Akuma...PLing is *BLACK*), and he used it to punish a missed dragon punch because of his awesome evasion skills. Only folks way down in the kyus wiff on big moves like that.

I tend to play against ppl who abuse frame locks and staggers-on-block.

I do understand that Tekken is about frame data. I'm saying that Ling does not have not have the "take half your health on punish" that so many of the people I'm seeing online have. Bryan, Nina, Kat, Law.

I hate King the most. I have yet to beat one. And Jin completely baffles me with all of his mixups and lows that knock down.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=131984

Reposting this here as well even if AAK did a better job at explaining things:

Ling is not really made for combos but her damage is better than it was in TTT2 and df+2~1 has decent enough reach. She also got standing 3 for a weaker combo, but it launches your opponent at -14 which is really good.
AOP also got some nice buffs. It still ducks under a lot of mids and still has a mini sidestep to her right. AOP 4~3 gets you in a very favorable position for oki.

SS+3 is slow and shouldn't be thrown out mindlessly. If you hold back she gets into RDS and can launch a ducking opponent with RDS 4 or RDS u/f+4. RDS 4 is -18 though, so basically everybody can launch you for it.
She got some nice low pokes as well. d+3 being really good, u/f+1 is also not bad to use at times and gets you into AOP. AOP+3 is her slide and is really good because her body stays very low and it launches on counterhit. Her rage drive is also a low launcher that is safe on block. In fact it's one of the best rage drives in the game.
SS+4 is also a decent CH launcher that is pretty fast.

In fact, the list goes on and on. Xiaoyu is the strongest she's been in years, you just have to dig deeper into her gameplay. She's not a heavy hitter but she can poke your opponent to death and mixes him up really good.

A few things to add to AAK's post:
Her 14f launcher is a standing 3, not f+3.
b+4,4 can be anywhere between i13 and i15, depending on range.
Her big launcher out of AOP is d+1+2. AOP 1+2 only launches on counterhit.
One thing to also add to her d/f+1 is that it gets you either into normal stance or RDS if you want, again giving you the opportunity to mix up your opponent with backturned shenanigans.

I read this too.

I think there's a misunderstanding...I did not play TTT2 (I never liked TTT), but I've been playing Ling since T3. I think one of the problems is that the Tekken scene has evolved significantly, and that he competition on PC is also tougher.

To be honest Boutdown, you played the living shit out of TTT2. Even sex can get tiresome.

My dad once told me the ass is like the mouth, you can get tired of eating the same thing day after day. My dad fathered a child outside his marriage too by the way. As committed as he was to my mother he got tired of the same pussy day in and day out. FYI

Top Bottom