• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 to be modified due to use of 'Allah' in Saudi Arabia stage

Lock if old

Tekken Tag 2 to be modified due to use of 'Allah' in Saudi Arabia stage
Posted on October 24, 2012 by OG

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 producer, Katsuhiro Harada, received multiple tweets from concerned gamers over the placement of "Allah" on the floor of the Saudi Arabia stage in the game:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Saudi Arabia stage with offensive Allah placement

ttt2saudistage.jpg

Harada was quick to respond on his Twitter that they did not know that "Allah" was on the floor and will be changing it as soon as they can:

haradatweet1.jpg

Katsuhiro Harada responding to offended Muslim gamers

A similar instance happened only a few weeks ago with Modern Warfare 2/3 regarding an image of the word "Allah" that was placed above a toilet in the Favela map. Activison and Infinity Ward were quick to remedy the situation to avoid offending any Muslim gamers.
http://www.original-gamer.com/artic...ied-due-to-use-of-Allah-in-Saudi-Arabia-stage

vocab

how do people read blurry ass textures? Or is this all power of suggestion I think it looks like it a word wah wah religion.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Probably the same guys who swore up and down that the coca cola logo read backwards was Arabic for "no Allah, no Muhammed" Someone tell them to please shut the fuck up.

Why is this offensive?
why is this a big deal? I mean, people will have a problem with this?
I'd like to know why too. It seems like Muslims get offended over everything sometimes. :/

=>

This is an incredibly bad thing, because just showing someone the soles of your feet in Middle Eastern culture is considered rude. Walking all over a representation of something communicates severe disrespect—I'm thinking of the hotel lobby in Iraq that had the mosaic of the first President Bush. So Tekken fighters dancing back and forth all over the name of God, you can see why many in Saudi Arabia might have a big problem with that.
http://kotaku.com/5955490/tekken-ta...llah-from-the-floor-of-its-saudi-arabia-stage

Xav

People are too sensitive around the world. It's just a bunch of pixels on a TV screen, who gives a shit. I'm Spanish and in Resident Evil 4 you spend 20 hours killing Spanish people, I don't care. In fact it's one of my favourite games.

Muslims have to accept that they are not the only ones living in this world. I honestly don't see what is offending by this.. why on Earth would anyone be offended by this, or other things regarding them in general. The saddest thing is that to not cause trouble, people have to give in. I hate that people fear us!

I have to say, the dude wasn't asking for the texture to be removed, harada proposed it.

wingz

Why is that there in the first place? Good on Harada to fix the problem quickly... The game designers should have done their due diligence, when designing their stages.

clem84

Gold Member
Another company that gives in to such bullshit. Great.

The "Alla over a toilet" thing I can kinda understand. This???

-

ASIS

Ok, they can have this one. The artists who designed the level should have done a bit more research, because if what Muslims are complaining about is true, then it comes off as a mistake. Then again, if they moved the texture to a wall, they would probably still be just as offended.

No, we wouldn't.

Ok, they can have this one. The artists who designed the level should have done a bit more research, because if what Muslims are complaining about is true, then it comes off as a mistake then intentionally meaning offense. Then again, if they moved the texture to a wall, they would probably still be just as offended.

Middle Eastern Culture =/= world.

They shouldn't give two craps over something so trivial. The only reason they care is because they fear the consequences.

jaxword

We can all agree that it's a good thing when people in other countries can control the rest of the world by claiming they're offended.

wingz

They shouldn't give two craps over something so trivial. The only reason they care is because they fear the consequences.

It may be trivial to you, but it is very important to other people in the world.
What you only care about =/= What others may care about.

What an ignorant post...

Haeleos

Right, the only reason I would acquiesce if I was in Namco's position is because it feels to me like a mistake by the artists. If they don't write the word Allah on the floor in Saudi Arabia and the stage is supposed to be set in Saudi Arabia... feels like that animated movie Barnyard where they put udders on male cows. I realize that's not the real reason they are changing it though.

TheContact

So they don't use their own textures or something? Or they copied it without knowing what it was? Either way, it's not a big deal.

Yeah, that was a really bad idea. Please, do more research beyond superficial levels Japanese devs.

I really hate people sometimes, good lord. Are they forced to change this, or are they just changing it to keep the peace?

Because it is really offensive in the Muslim world, even beyond religious nut cases.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As a Hindu, I find the eating of cows to be offensive. Excuse me while I go to McDonald's and slap hamburgers out of people's hands.

Top Bottom