• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 to be modified due to use of 'Allah' in Saudi Arabia stage

Whether or not that is an accurate representation of the people or their culture doesn't matter because it will never reach the ears of the rest of the world.

Do you really believe that? The truth doesn't matter because we don't see it?

Like Vitacat said, other groups are presented in a bad light too. A lot of the world thinks Americans are bad too, because of what they are told. It doesn't matter that that's not true...because they don't get the correct information?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you said...

GrizzNKev

Banned
Do you really believe that? The truth doesn't matter because we don't see it?

Like Vitacat said, other groups are presented in a bad light too. A lot of the world thinks Americans are bad too, because of what they are told. It doesn't matter that that's not true...because they don't get the correct information?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you said...

I'm saying it's a problem that needs to be solved but society in its current stats isn't going to care about the truth, they're going to care about the extremes that they hear and see. I feel that to understand cultures you need to either experience them firsthand, or find a way to shut up the crazies and give real value through media to non-crazies. I don't think that has been accomplished yet.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Well yea...clearly.

If we have people in this thread who tell us that most often, these situations where censorship is requested comes from a source of extremism or fanaticism, then complying gives them a voice, turns it into a news story, gives unfamiliar people another reason to dislike that entire culture. Of course if not complying leads to violence we have another problem entirely but I don't think most cases would lead to that. This particular example isn't huge or bad or anything but it's one of very few that doesn't depict aggression.

Grizz, you already said it was reasonable for the complaint in this example, what's the point of posting again?

Surely the test then is reasonableness. I write this for nth time.

Edit: Let's continue to tar all 1.5 billion Muslims.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Grizz, you already said it was reasonable for the complaint in this example, what's the point of posting again?

uhh...

because I wanted to? And if you kindly request that I stop I'll just keep posting.

Edit: Let's continue to tar all 1.5 billion Muslims.

You are obviously not understanding what I said.

I feel that complying with the requests of removing something deemed offensive to a religion (specifically Islam in this case) from any form of media, along with the requirement that these requests are frequent and similar in nature, it makes all people of that religion (Muslim people in this case) worse off. When you comply, it becomes news, and reaches people. It paints a picture of cultural incompatibility with the rest of the world.

KSai

As a Hindu, I find the eating of cows to be offensive. Excuse me while I go to McDonald's and slap hamburgers out of people's hands.

An Indian woman in my Marketing class has seriously suggested that McDonald's should change their menu to cater to vegetarian Indians. Just sayin'.

Good night all.

Keep posting Grizz, might make a salient point one of these days.

Good on Harada for reacting so quickly for an honest mistake.

Edit: second point wasn't aimed at you.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yes. There is nothing wrong if it was on the wall.

The problem is that nobody who's outside of that culture is really going to understand where the line is.

The only way to be safe is to remove any and all references to Islam and all Arabic from being included in any game.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Good night all.

Keep posting Grizz, might make a salient point one of these days.

Good on Harada for reacting so quickly for an honest mistake.

Edit: second point wasn't aimed at you.

Your kindness and understanding truly touches my heart. Good on you for being so upstanding and forward-thinking.

DCDW

IMO I agree that it was more or less them picking something that "looked" Arabic without actually looking into the image's meaning. Even if they knew the meaning of the image, it can also be chalked up to a culture clash. For instance...

463994_o.gif

That's an image of a former Japanese fighting promotion ring. Notice that there are advertisements on the floor which is commonly traversed in barefoot by the fighters and can at times be covered by blood. In spite of this, it's most common for advertisers to want priority for these ad spaces. So Namco putting the emblem on the floor in a fighting game is just how things are done there (and here in N.A. as well).

Top Bottom