• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TellTale Damages the Jeep of Something Awful's Boomerjinks

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That really isn't the response to field to make this all go away. You swallow your shit, apologise profusely and pay up with something extra for the bother, you don't play the coy "well SORRRRRRY mom" card when everyones looking at you like a jagass already.

Pie and Beans said:
That really isn't the response to field to make this all go away. You swallow your shit, apologise profusely and pay up with something extra for the bother, you don't play the coy "well SORRRRRRY mom" card when everyones looking at you like a jagass already.

Don't forget promoting their game at the end too!

tsab

shagg_187 said:
My brain hurts from the conspiracy surrounding this matter.

Who is lying? Who is telling the truth? Head exploding!

Telltale > Tell tale > Tell story > Tell fiction > Tell lie

*Mindblown*

Amagon

shagg_187 said:
My brain hurts from the conspiracy surrounding this matter.

Who is lying? Who is telling the truth? Head exploding!
Aliens

tsab said:
Telltale > Tell tale > Tell story > Tell fiction > Tell lie

*Mindblown*
2XsTy.jpg

Flavius

Can't blame TT for trying to make this PR nightmare go away (well, we can, actually...), but the insurance bit is absolute horseshit IF this is, indeed, the first time it is being mentioned. If it was legit, then it would have been one of the first things mentioned by any responsible person in the company.

Better hope dude is fully satisfied with that check...

Lucario

From what I can tell, this is a screw-up on both ends....

1: TT requests Boomerjinks' Jurassic Jeep
2: Boomerjinks requests covered transport, 3 PAX tickets, per diem, transport, and a hotel for a few nights.
3: Boomerjinks googles reviews of transport companies and finds that the company used, Advanced Auto Transport, has good reviews, and suggests them. (He admits this fully on Reddit in the TT response post.) From what I can tell from googling, Advanced Auto Transport doesn't even offer covered transport.
4: TT uses the company anyways. At some point they should've asked if covered transport would be used/been told that it was an open transport, but they didn't/weren't.
5: Transport arrives, it's open and unsuitable for transporting the jeep.
6: Boomerjinks doesn't contact TT and say "Hey, this will potentially damage my car, can you send covered transport please?" He just accepts it, and uses a cover that flaps in the wind at the ~60-70MPH speeds that the open transport travels, which damages the vehicle. (NOTE: This is not the cause of all of the damage, how the hell the seat got ripped is still beyond me.)
7: Boomerjinks notices damage at con, informs TT people, tells them to contact him after con.
7b: Boomerjinks notices he is only given one badge to PAX instead of the 3 requested.
8: TT people do not contact him after con. He emails them, and they give him the runaround and tell him to talk to the transport company
8b: Boomerjinks' Per Diem is not covered as requested.
9: Runaround via email continues for ~2-3 months.
10: Day before the game release, Boomerjinks posts about the situation (claiming a few less-than-truthful things, like that TT chose the transport company) and the internet goes in a fucking shitstorm
11: TT responds with as little class as possible and begrudgingly gives the money back, in the meantime lying(?) about filing with insurance months ago and informing Boomerjinks about it.

That's what I got out of this situation, and both sides kind of seemed to behave like dicks to me. Although TT probably takes the cake....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is true that by signing the BL you end up absolving the carrier of responsibility. Telltale claiming they didn't know the Jeep was damaged is at that point irrelevant. I'm sure their main point is going to be pleading ignorance, but they should have contacted the guy before signing.
Yes, they should have, but at the same time, I can understand where they were coming from. They had no way of knowing if there were any cosmetic damages present on the jeep prior to shipping. Even after the damage, it still appears to be in great shape.

I'm not convinced there was any malicious intent here.

Still, I feel for the situation. At least he has someone to blame. Somebody backed into my car just yesterday and put a massive dent in the front quarter panel and screwed up the door. I have no way of knowing who did this so I'm left holding the bag. Pretty pissed about the whole thing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
yeah he sure scammed them out of... lending them his personal property for a trade show, not receiving the previously agreed comp (some damn PAX badges) and then expecting damage to be covered for and repaired.

Regardless of the he said, she says, heres a classic textbook example of why in situations like this you deal with them swiftly and positively rather than trying to ignore it and hope it'll go away. Simply paying the repair costs they could have got him to get appraised/valued would have been well worth the monthly salary of someone that really kinda screwed things up massively compared to the ill-will this has all generated and no doubt negatively affected their game sales going forward.

obviously disgusting internet avenger behaviour on show as well though.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm not shocked that a savvy reddit user could manipulate media in a way to gain public support for thier own personal gain.

I am shocked so many people are eating this crap up.

I feel really bad for the former Telltale guy. Even if he personally damaged that Jeep (which he didn't) he didn't deserve the internet calling him up and threatening to rape him.

I wish I was thinking more clearly yesterday. Doing this the day before the game launch should have clued me in to something being wrong.

dark10x

yeah he sure scammed them out of... lending them his personal property for a trade show, not receiving the previously agreed comp (some damn PAX badges) and then expecting damage to be covered for and repaired.
The problem stems from the fact that HE selected the carrier and witnessed the fact that it would not be a covered transport, yet still gave the go ahead. That was not a part of his original claim.

He chose the carrier, the carrier damaged the vehicle, and information as to the state of the vehicle was not present to TellTale. That's not to say they shouldn't cover the damages, but this guy isn't being completely honest either.

Branduil

I have a hard time believing he was "scamming" them when they were the ones who asked to use the Jeep in the first place. And TellTale has already been caught lying several times, and they didn't pay him what they agreed on in the first place either.

hamchan

dark10x said:
The problem stems from the fact that HE selected the carrier and witnessed the fact that it would not be a covered transport, yet still gave the go ahead. That was not a part of his original claim.

He chose the carrier, the carrier damaged the vehicle, and information as to the state of the vehicle was not present to TellTale. That's not to say they shouldn't cover the damages, but this guy isn't being completely honest either.
I know alot of GAF likes to raise the pitchforks at any sign of corporate misdeed situations like this are a good reason why it's always smart to wait and listen to both sides of the stories. It's so disgusting that one guy actually received threats over the phone and email because of this.

Baron_Calamity said:
I feel really bad for the former Telltale guy. Even if he personally damaged that Jeep (which he didn't) he didn't deserve the internet calling him up and threatening to rape him.

I wish I was thinking more clearly yesterday. Doing this the day before the game launch should have clued me in to something being wrong.
Pretty sure the former TT employee is a female

Odd that I'm get Reddor she calls him out for trying to scam them before the event happened, then redacted the proof. All in all I think both were in the wrong, if for no other reason making sure legally they had their shit together

It is really a huge shame that this person was dragged into this; boomerjinks was out of line if he posted his/her name. Malicious intent or not, that was inappropriate.

...that said.

I don't think anything written in his/her reply really refutes boomjinks at all. Once again we get the same schtick: "Oh, there's this whole other side to this story, we just can't say anything about it!"

From the relevant paragraph:

Here are screenshots from a few emails that disprove his major points. Here and here. ( I removed the images before posting, I can't do that, but they have been sent to boomer via a reply to his threatening emails to me even after he knew I left Telltale) The dates in the top right are the from the first time he started a fake smear campaign and I had to compile emails so our lawyer could help him file claims. Even though at that point he was obviously scamming us we still tried to help him. I won't post anything else but I have hundreds of emails concerning this. Even before the event he kept demanding that we change the terms. It got so bad that I refused to talk to him and asked him to email me so there was a record. As soon as I met him at PAX I knew something was off, he started claiming damage before he got there and saw the jeep. Even now his massive exaggerations are showing through. What he calls a "joyride" was the thirty feet we had to take the car to be inspected and the gas removed. The only reason I wasn't driving it was because my license was expired by a few days and we wanted everything to be 100% legit. I know there is more than one PAX enforcer here that can confirm the distance.

So, s/he claims to have screenshots disproving his major points, but s/he won't show 'em. That's all well and good, but if you're going to take the additional step of actually calling boomerjinks a scammer, you should probably back that up. I still think the claim that boomerjinks was trying to scam anyone is absurd, and it bothers me that people are accepting that at face value from a former Telltale employee given their behavior throughout the day yesterday. Is he exaggerating his claims of what took place for the sake of internet court? Yeah, I can see that. But the claim that he was scamming them is taking things way too far.

I really do think it's unfortunate that this person was dragged into this...I just kinda wish s/he had snipped the paragraph above, because it completely puts him/her back in the situation, for one thing, and for another it gives us yet another set of unsubstantiated claims from telltale that don't quite seem to match up. Finally, by calling boomerjinks out as a "scammer" it only serves to escalate rhetoric when we should actually be at a point where that is scaling back down. It feels spiteful.

Surely boomerjinks isn't a perfect person through all of this, but if anything that paragraph confirms many of the negative things I started to wonder about Telltale's corporate culture yesterday. Ultimately this could have been resolved much more peacefully if they had either inspected the Jeep more carefully or swallowed their pride and just paid for the damages in a timely fashion. Telltale became responsible for those damages when they signed the bill of lading. They owed the money. If boomerjinks had taken them to court, they would have been told the exact same thing. This person should be just as frustrated with Telltale's poor response as s/he is with boomerjinks' tactics.

dark10x

Finally, by calling boomerjinks out as a "scammer" it only serves to escalate tension when we should actually be at a point where that is scaling back in. It feels spiteful.
It IS spiteful and I don't blame her one bit, based on the harassment she received.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Ignis Fatuus said:
She deserves more until she presents the evidence she claims to have.
You really think that somebody deserves death and rape threats over some supposed damage to a movie prop?

Really?

Really?

Care to make that claim without the security blanket of your keyboard and internet connection?

Ignis Fatuus said:
She deserves more until she presents the evidence she claims to have.

o_O I wouldn't go that far. Someone threatened to rape her.

She shouldn't have written that paragraph at all, though, especially the "ok, I was totally gonna show you guys this evidence settling this ONCE AND FOR ALL, but I changed my mind! I just want to let you know I was gonna and I totally still have it!" bullshit.

BlueMagic

TellTale are jerks. Plus, their games suck. YOU HEAR ME TELLTALE? BTTF WAS SHIT.

EDIT: Jokes aside, what's the current situation? Any plot twist?

BlueMagic said:
TellTale are jerks. Plus, their games suck. YOU HEAR ME TELLTALE? BTTF WAS SHIT.

EDIT: Jokes aside, what's the current situation? Any plot twist?

Telltale would like us to think so, but it seems to me that they just couldn't make sense of the damage, so rather than give Boomerjinks the benefit of the doubt they decided to proceed as though he was a scammer. There really isn't any more to it.

dark10x said:

Incorrect. He simply found the carrier online and sent the SUGGESTION to TT who then selected it themselves.

Hate to split hairs here, but I've been on the bad end of picking things, such as a hotel when I thought it was decent.

mclem

NintendoGal said:
Incorrect. He simply found the carrier online and sent the SUGGESTION to TT who then selected it themselves.

Hate to split hairs here, but I've been on the bad end of picking things, such as a hotel when I thought it was decent.

...but doesn't him suggesting it to TT imply that he felt the carrier was adequate?

dark10x

NintendoGal said:

If he suggested it, he holds the blame for that side of things. Furthermore, he knew that it would be transported without a container and should have declined if he were so concerned.

Lastly, as I noted before, TT was never given any indication as to the state of the vehicle when it left the owner. Even with the blemishes, it still appears to be in excellent condition. Is it that strange that they accepted the vehicle at that point?

dark10x said:
If he suggested it, he holds the blame for that side of things. Furthermore, he knew that it would be transported without a container and should have declined if he were so concerned.

Lastly, as I noted before, TT was never given any indication as to the state of the vehicle when it left the owner. Even with the blemishes, it still appears to be in excellent condition. Is it that strange that they accepted the vehicle at that point?

No, it's not really that strange, but it was a mistake, and it does make them responsible for any damage boomerjinks claimed occurred in transit.

There are lots of coulda woulda shouldas here, on either side. Hindsight is 20/20. The only thing that matters - in my mind, anyway - is that Telltale signed the bill of lading, making them financially responsible, and they have been dragging their feet to own up to that ever since.

Technically, they still haven't.

mclem said:
...but doesn't him suggesting it to TT imply that he felt the carrier was adequate?

Or simply trying to be helpful and didn't choose wisely.

dark10x said:

I disagree. I feel if a COMPANY can't help do a bit more research on something they are borrowing and need to keep safe, they also foot some of the blame here too.

Personally I'm not sure who to believe in this, but there are faults on both sides.

androvsky

NintendoGal said:

Boomerjinks is the person with the expensive, custom cars, and TellTale is a software company. It's not unreasonable to assume that TellTale went with his suggestion because they figured he knew what he wanted.

Top Bottom