• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TellTale Damages the Jeep of Something Awful's Boomerjinks

daycru

Ignis Fatuus said:
She deserves more until she presents the evidence she claims to have.
Let's say she's lady Hitler and is lying about 1000% of everything. Still doesn't give anyone the right to threaten to rape her. If those calls were made, it's disgusting.

Not sure what her being an internet Big Sister has anything to do with the story or why someone they're paying next to minimum wage too would have intimate knowledge of what the legal team is up to. And yet more threats of "mystery proof." Show what you have or shut up.

androvsky said:
Boomerjinks is the person with the expensive, custom cars, and TellTale is a software company. It's not unreasonable to assume that TellTale went with his suggestion because they figured he knew what he wanted.

It's also not unreasonable to assume my point either. The whole situation is like that.

This is like a rollercoaster! Of e-drama. Don't really have enough elements to form an opinion on this matter, especially when taking into consideration that there still might be things left unsaid between both parties. Sad thing, though, about how internet mobs are so fast to go out of their way to make personal attacks/harassment at their discretion. Then again, that's the way mobs behave.

Aselith

Princess Skittles said:
You really think that somebody deserves death and rape threats over some supposed damage to a movie prop?

Really?

Really?

Care to make that claim without the security blanket of your keyboard and internet connection?

Well, I agree she doesn't deserve that kind of harassment however it's rather silly to call it a movie prop. It was his personal car, he may drive something else to work everyday but that's not just a prop.

So I thought the matter was all sorted out and the TellTale CEO was going to pay the guy for the damages and it would all be put behind us. What's the deal now? Is that not happening? I started reading back a page and I noticed there's someone else thrown in the situation.

LastWindow said:
So I thought the matter was all sorted out and the TellTale CEO was going to pay the guy for the damages and it would all be put behind us. What's the deal now? Is that not happening? I started reading back a page and I noticed there's someone else thrown in the situation.

Apparently boomerjinks posted the name of the rep at TellTale who was responsible for handling this situation, though she no longer works for them. Predictably, the knuckledraggers went after her in force and made some pretty offensive threats.

She posted a big internet defense today...which would have been fine on its own, but she took the extra step of calling boomerjinks a "scammer" and, once again, intimated they have all these e-mails that prove what a horrible person he is, they just aren't going to show anyone or even reference anything specific.

I see. Well, even when this gets sorted out it's changed my view of the company. I'm conflicted on whether I want to support them any more.

TimeKillr

inky said:
Meh, I don't actively dislike them, but they lost a lot of points with me after some particular shit they pulled with Puzzle Agent last year and some incompatibility issues. And it wasn't the issue in particular what was stupid, but the way they kept dancing around it for about 6 months. Completely unrelated, I know, but definitely some bad people working there it seems.

Yeah, that Puzzle Agent issue was particularly idiotic... Wouldn't work on a TON of GeForce cards and they kept saying "A fix is incoming" for 6 months. Their excuse was that every time they pushed a fix, something else popped up... More likely is that their resources moved on to another project and felt that since sales were already done, they didn't need to fix the issue that quickly (since it wouldn't result in new sales and it would cost them money)...

I think what eventually became a turning point is the fact that the game was given away for free a ton of times or was so cheap on Steam that a lot of people bought it and complained to Valve that the game was defective, which probably put a lot more pressure on Telltale to fix it (since they do sell all of their games via Steam)..

Kintaco

Just wanted to point out that it doesn't matter who chose or recommended the transport, or even the fact that it was not an enclosed transport. What matters is that the release was signed even though there is signs of transport damage. This is what matters, absolving the transport carrier is the problem. Not the carrier, and not the fact that it was uncovered. Because without the release, the transport company is liable for the damages. So all that matters is the fact that the Telltale (former) employee signed the release. The he said/she said has no bearing in the matter.

FoneBone

I don't doubt that Telltale was in the wrong here, but goddamn does "Internet Justice" never fail to go off the rails.

EDIT: For those who can access it, here's the other SA thread about the matter. Boomerjinks is not coming off so well - seems he himself put a cover on his car that he wasn't supposed to use, and that may well have been responsible for some of the damage.

FStop7

Banned
FoneBone said:
I don't doubt that Telltale was in the wrong here, but goddamn does "Internet Justice" never fail to go off the rails.

I knew that was going to happen, it's sick. Going after one person, who isn't even at TellTale any more? Threatening her with rape and violence?

gg, Internet.

FoneBone said:
EDIT: For those who can access it, here's the other SA thread about the matter. Boomerjinks is not coming off so well - seems he himself put a cover on his car that he wasn't supposed to use, and that may well have been responsible for some of the damage.

I've tried reading that thread here and there, but it seems largely filled with the peripheral bullshit that has been getting stamped down in this thread because it does not matter to the end result.

Here are some examples of things that do not matter to the end result (that being, TellTale paying Boomerjinks for the damage), but are cropping up endlessly over on SA:
-Boomerjinks character
-Boomerjinks' posting history
-Who put the cover on the jeep
-Who selected the transportation for the jeep
-The motives of those who have spoken up on Boomerjinks' behalf (or TT's, for that matter)
-Boomerjinks' admittedly moronic decision to post that woman's name on reddit
-The horrible behavior of some people on the internet towards that person

etc. etc. etc. etc. You get the idea. No matter how things pan out in any of those subjects, Telltale still signed the bill of lading. Boomerjinks may be a serial thread troll who eats babies and defecates on sidewalks, but TellTale is no less liable for that signature.

Kintaco

echoshifting said:
I've tried reading that thread here and there, but it seems largely filled with the peripheral bullshit that has been getting stamped down in this thread because it does not matter to the end result.

Here are some examples of things that do not matter to the end result but are cropping up endlessly over on SA (that being, TellTale paying Boomerjinks for the damage):
-Boomerjinks character
-Boomerjinks' posting history
-Who put the cover on the jeep
-Who selected the transportation for the jeep
-The motives of those who have spoken up on Boomerjinks' behalf (or TT's, for that matter)
-Boomerjinks' admittedly moronic decision to post that woman's name on reddit
-The horrible behavior of some people on the internet towards that person

etc. etc. etc. etc. You get the idea. No matter how things pan out in any of those subjects, Telltale still signed the bill of lading. Boomerjinks may be a serial thread troll who eats babies and defecates on sidewalks, but TellTale is no less liable for that signature.
Stop making sense!

As someone who has experienced this exact same damage during an auto transport, I can basically guarantee you this was caused by the carrier. The cause of this damage is very simple. If you look at it you'er like "what the fuck would possibly cause damage like that? It's so weird". Well after some research when it happened to me I determined that what causes it is they put your car into one of those large double decker carriers that you often see on the interstate. Their are chains all over these carriers. On the upper and lower levels to chain down the cars to the frame, and to each other. Some of these chains are not perfectly snug and can hang down from the upper level to the lower level and as the carrier drives, the chain swings around and bangs your car over and over and over and over.

It's perfectly obvious from looking at these pictures that that's exactly what happened here. I'm surprised a carrier would try to deny it.

Ignis Fatuus said:
She deserves more until she presents the evidence she claims to have.
Unless it was a perm I really hope you think fucking twice about saying stupid shit like this again. For christ sake man try to accuire some empathy while you are banned.

FoneBone

cpp_is_king said:
I'm surprised a carrier would try to deny it.
I don't think the carrier ever denied it. The issue is that Telltale effectively absolved them of any liability via the Bill of Lading.

Aselith

FoneBone said:
I don't think the carrier ever denied it. The issue is that Telltale effectively absolved them of any liability via the Bill of Lading.
Yeah, they screwed the pooch there and luckily they're paying for it.

Wallach said:
Fucking morons. Boomer included; maybe when he experiences the inevitable backlash of the same anonymous force he was trying to manipulate he'll learn something from all this.

Would you say he deserves something awful?

Blackface

Banned
So it turns out Boomer is a lying scumbag, and people who have dealt with him before are also attesting to this fact.

I feel bad for telltale, and the woman who was told over the phone "one caller even asked me if I wanted to know what it was like to be raped"

Except for the part where Telltale has also blatantly lied about several aspects of this issue, though as it's been repeated several times I can sympathize with whatsherface being pissed at boomer for disclosing her name which led to several grossly inappropriate threats over the phone.

Still can't believe things have escalated this badly over $2000.
how badly does this hurt chances for a Night at the Inventory 2

Zeal

Banned
This thread is an awesome example of how internet fantasy land bullshit can get completely out of control.

Step 1. Invent a fake cause/reason to get a lot of internet tough guys/social retards together for a unified cause. Such slogans as "freedom fighters" and "justice" always help. The Anon group is a great example of this.

Step 2. Provoke idiots into working together to harass people in real life. This can only be done when enough idiots/internet tough guys are hiding behind one another and their computers are assembled into one unified clusterfuck of fail. The second their own identities are threatened or compromised, everyone will bail, therefore you need a high degree of anonymity.

Step 3. Stir up a and escalate bullshit until media attention is garnered.

Step 4. Profit

Aselith

Zeal said:
This thread is an awesome example of how internet fantasy land bullshit can get completely out of control.

Step 1. Invent a fake cause/reason to get a lot of internet tough guys/social retards together for a unified cause. Such slogans as "freedom fighters" and "justice" always help. The Anon group is a great example of this.

Step 2. Provoke idiots into working together to harass people in real life. This can only be done when enough idiots/internet tough guys are hiding behind one another and their computers are assembled into one unified clusterfuck of fail. The second their own identities are threatened or compromised, everyone will bail, therefore you need a high degree of anonymity.

Step 4. Profit
What exactly is the profit? His car was fucked up and now it gets fixed. Seems like he went around the block and returned to square one. He made BANK!

Step 1. Invent a fake cause/reason

Am I missing something because I thought it was agreed whoever the hell Boomer is or what happened afterwards there was a legitimate issue where Telltale was refusing to follow their side of a contract where they owed him money for damage which they, even if mistakenly or partially to the fault of the original owner's choice of carrier, signed off on.

As incredibly dumb and short-sighted an idea as it is to list names of non-big name employees who don't even work at the company anymore as a bargaining chip, I'm not really seeing how Telltale was innocent of ignoring the issue of this guy's partially damaged novelty movie jeep.

Issue reminds me of the whole dickwolves thing to be honest. The PA dudes(Boomer) were entirely in the right when accused of making fun of rape victims in their comic (Boomer's jeep getting damaged and not getting the compensation he was promised), but the minute different networks and communities got involved and took to message boards, tumblr and twitter they failed miserably in leading by good example and just letting things drop (Boomer 'naming names' leading to someone who doesn't even work at Telltale getting death and rape threats over something ultimately completely trivial).

FatalT

Banned
Zeal said:

Step 4. Profit

You're an awesome example of ignorance!

Step 1. Make an ignorant post on a message board.

Step 2. Loss

yeah okay after reading the SA thread Boomerjinks comes across as being in complete damage control who isn't regretful over any of the nasty side effects this whole thing has caused

kylej

Banned
Boomerjinks has been, is currently, and will always be a gigantic piece of shit. I've been reading his shit posts over at SA for years. It's surreal to see this douche gaining attention all over the internet.

Draft said:
All this over a stupid toy.

Who has a Jurassic Park jeep, anyway?
That's exactly why I'm grateful every day that i don't care about material things anywhere near as much now as I did when I was a kid. There's better things for a grown person to sink a ton of time and money into then a replica car from a movie. When it gets to the point that you're making this big of a fuss and getting people threatened over a ripped seat of all things it's gone too far.

Aselith

dr3upmushroom said:
That's exactly why I'm grateful every day that i don't care about material things anywhere near as much now as I did when I was a kid. There's better things for a grown person to sink a ton of time and money into then a replica car from a movie. When it gets to the point that you're making this big of a fuss and getting people threatened over a ripped seat of all things it's gone too far.
Really? You'd let someone destroy your property and not fight to get repaid? Just take it like a bitch?

FatBaby

Man, that SA thread is priceless. I feel like a pretty big dummy for defending him a bit earlier in this thread, but I guess that is neither here nor there.

I should of figured something was up when he made a huge fucking stink of Telltale taking a joyride and post video "proof" and all the video is is them taking it from the carrier to their booth going no more than 5MPH even if that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dr3upmushroom said:

What's your most prized possession? I'll take it and rip it apart.

Kinyou

dr3upmushroom said:
Quentin Tarantino used to drive that total piece of shit car. The cool thing was that he could get dents, scratches etc. on it and just not give a fuck.
Sounded pretty smart to me.

Mxrz

If it was his prized possession then why did he pick a shitty transporter, and then go along with it when he saw how fucked it was going to be? Not having any close up "before" pics certainly doesn't help.

I'm going to guess he cares about this jeep, but wanted to go to PAX and to be apart of this for whatever reason so he took a risk and it didn't work out. He then went into full douchebag mode and posted a lady's personal info on fucking reddit. So yeah, fuck him.

vazel

Banned
Blackface said:
So it turns out Boomer is a lying scumbag, and people who have dealt with him before are also attesting to this fact.

I feel bad for telltale, and the woman who was told over the phone "one caller even asked me if I wanted to know what it was like to be raped"
Wow. Why would anyone do that? Seriously, what kind of attachment would he have to feel for this situation to say something like that. Sad lonely internet fuck.

The way the internet gets all mob-like in situations like this is annoying. I'm not a big fan of Telltale's adventure games but now I'll make sure to buy every one of their games(
In a steam sale
).

Aselith said:
Really? You'd let someone destroy your property and not fight to get repaid? Just take it like a bitch?
If I knew ahead of time that it'd involve other people receiving threats, than yeah, I don't own anything that's that important to me. If you define yourself by the things you own to the point that you feel like a bitch if someone who damages something doesn't get what they have coming, I pity you. I can't imagine being on my deathbed and my fondest memories being of shit I owned, and to me whining over a car is much more bitch behavior than letting it go. Every single person involved in this story if be better off if the SA guy hadn't decided to make a car his pride and joy.

dr3upmushroom said:
If I knew ahead of time that it'd involve other people receiving threats, than yeah, I don't own anything that's that important to me. If you define yourself by the things you own to the point that you feel like a bitch if someone who damages something doesn't get what they have coming, I pity you. I can't imagine being on my deathbed and my fondest memories being of shit I owned, and to me whining over a car is much more bitch behavior than letting it go. Every single person involved in this story if be better off if the SA guy hadn't decided to make a car his pride and joy.

Michael Crichton is clearly at fault here. If he hadn't written the book then the movie would never have been made, and then this guy would never have been inspired to customize the vehicle.

LastWindow said:
Michael Crichton is clearly at fault here. If he hadn't written the book then the movie would never have been made, and then this guy would never have been inspired to customize the vehicle.
No, actually, I'm pretty sure the grown man who thinks it's somehow cool to own a replica to own a car from the movie is infinitely more at fault. If he hadn't done that, none of this would have happened, whereas the book obviously had nothing to do with it. If it hand't been Jurassic Park, this guy would be in the same situation with his custom Back to the Future Delorean.

Wario64 said:
What's your most prized possession? I'll take it and rip it apart.
And to be clear, I would be pissed if someone was disrespectful enough to just take something from me and break it, but we both know that that's not even close to resembling what happened here, so I'm not sure what point you think you're making.

LastWindow said:
My reply was just a joke, calm down.
It's hard to tell when many people, especially on a gaming board like GAF, truly do value physical possessions to the point that they're games/ movie/ whatever collections are what define them as a person.

And even if it was a joke, flippantly disregarding someone's opinion in a forum where it's impossible to judge tone isn't exactly the best way to communicate. I can sense a "Wow, I bet you're really fun at parties" response coming, but "It's just a joke, calm down" is a pretty lame response after trivializing something someone's said.

I wasn't exactly upset anyway, and I'm sure there's people reading this who would have said what you typed seriously (sarcastically, but with serious intent) so no harm done, but butting into a discussion with a statement that may or may not be meant seriously without indicating how you mean it probably isn't the best way to contribute.

A Link to the Snitch said:
This shit is so complex. I'm just gonna fuck off and assume nothing about anyone, continue to buy TellTale games, and pretend that this never happened.
I really wish people would do this more and boycott less. Even if Telltale is completely, 100% at fault it's so stupid to punish an entire company and everyone in it because a few people fucked up.

Reminds of when people boycotted Shadow Complex because Orson Scott Card was involved. Because one bigot wrote a basic premise for the game, all of the designers, artists, etc. are punished. Good job taking a stance guys!

mclem

dr3upmushroom said:
Reminds of when people boycotted Shadow Complex because Orson Scott Card was involved. Because one bigot wrote a basic premise for the game, all of the designers, artists, etc. are punished. Good job taking a stance guys!

To be fair, the storyline *was* terrible. Fortunately the *game* made up for it!

Top Bottom