• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Probably far too many missed dates with no end in sight resulting in "yeah we're not paying you anymore".

Wonder if they had to pay to get the rights back or if Sony were 'nice'.

My hype for this has been reduced to very low however now its sounding like a totally boring clusterfuck with no focus.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I love how constantly Sony teases games that are, either; never released, or; released on a different platform than the one they were announced for.

They should know better by now other than announce a game too early.
Good luck for the team behind the project. Hope it gets saved somehow as it looked indeed interesting.

Games are announced for specific reasons, release dates are not one of those. It's more important to show anything at E3 and bury it months or even years later than to have nothing to show for. It happens all the time. Agent, Peter Jackson Halo, Phantom Dust, Rime. Often we only get two sentences and maybe a target render but these things make the news and we then decide who "won" E3.

Elios83

Seems like a really troubled development with poor results. The game was probably still very far from release.
That's bad because the concept seemed to be cool in the early trailers.
Hopefully they can find an other publisher interested but it won't be easy.

Tuck

Wdf there were rumors of it being a moba or tower defence game?

What? That's too stupid to be true, right?

charsace

Never understood the hype for this game when their first game was decent at best.

Now Rime is taking forever and getting dropped by the publisher isn't a good sign.

SerTapTap

Daaaamn, I wanted this one so bad. It's actually the reason I first reached out to Sony Santa Monica. It looked amazing already, strange that it seems to be having dev problems.

EGM1966

Shame as looked interesting from initial media.

Have to assume this reflects a continued failure to bring the game together and too many delays already.

With VR coming and titles like U4 and No Mans Sky and Last Guardian it's not hard to see why Sony would decide to drop their involvement and focus elsewhere.

Hopefully Devs manage something decent in the end but sounds like the games a long way from being ready or great.

Tuck

Never understood the hype for this game when their first game was decent at best.

Now Rime is taking forever and getting dropped by the publisher isn't a good sign.
It looked gorgeous. Really don't k ow what's so hard to understand.

jond76

Banned
Probably far too many missed dates with no end in sight resulting in "yeah we're not paying you anymore".

Wonder if they had to pay to get the rights back or if Sony were 'nice'.

My hype for this has been reduced to very low however now its sounding like a totally boring clusterfuck with no focus.

Seems like a really troubled development with poor results. The game was probably still very far from release.
That's bad because the concept seemed to be cool in the early trailers.
Hopefully they can find an other publisher interested but it won't be easy.

Yeah i understand Sony dropping them. This game is not even close to release...

Are you all speculating because of the rights transfer news? Or is there more to this?

Ridley327

Daaaamn, I wanted this one so bad. It's actually the reason I first reached out to Sony Santa Monica. It looked amazing already, strange that it seems to be having dev problems.

How is it strange? There's been complete radio silence on the game for well over a year now. That's a pretty good sign that shit might be in the process of being a little fucked.

DMiz

The question is now whether the major issue that was blocking development progress was on the publisher's side (Sony wanting the game to be something that the developers were unable to realize or was not synonymous with the developer's original goal for the game), or on the developer's side (Tequila being unable to put up milestones at the expected rate).

Either way, I guess we'll see when the game is released whether the game is/was a flawed gem in the making or if it really was a hot mess. Disappointing.

It's sad to see that a lot of people are basically saying that, since the Last Guardian has reappeared, there is 'no point' or no 'real loss' to having this game be dropped on the wayside. I understand the sentiment, but I'd imagine that no team wants to be the substitute and be dropped like a hot potato once the 'real thing' comes back. It was - and still could be - a fascinating project when it was first released and deserves some humdrum if the final product delivers.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This rumors never existed, this thread is the first time I hear it....

They weren't huge rumors reported around the internet but it definitely raised some eyebrows and only fanned the flames on suspicions that the game was in development hell. They were mostly in one topic and it was only a few months ago though so it wasn't something that set the games world afire.

That said the overall rumor was the game was having serious problems with development even years down the line.

I came into this thread thinking Wild instead of Rime and I was worried.

I was still interested in Rime, but we haven't really seen any gameplay or anything. I assume this game has had an awful development considering when it was debuted and how little we have seen since.

Auctopus

Everytime this game comes up, I really hope someone posts the article that explains the game had massive development issues when it started out as a tower defense game.

Salsa

hope someone picks it up for multiplat

I get all the "it's dead" comments but people were very interested on reveal. I doubt they're not getting offers by publishers

unless they just wanna straight up go indie publishing

Jyrii

Banned
Literally just few minutes ago I was thinking whether Rime was going to be reannounced at Sony E3 and then I saw this thread.

Hope they can find a new publisher and finish the game.

How rough a shape did RiME have to be in to have Sony give up on it?

From Jan...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183252020&postcount=118

This morning talking with a colleague (discussing things about the Spanish industry and others) told me certain things RIME

and the game goes horribly wrong

every 2 weeks there are people in the office sony to give cane

basically you do not know what to do

have stage 1 full, but test groups say it is boring

and since there are only puzzles

in the game you can not attack

sun go from one place to another by puzzles

xD

is a fail

because Sony gave them an ultimatum
You've invested a lot of money and the game is a meh

They filled memory PS4

and were several days until 3 am deleting shit and cutting textures

I the person who told me I pretty credibility (the other person and for that ... I do not know XDD)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183278187&postcount=128

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Really surprising news given how much great support Sony have been giving smaller devs this gen. There has to be a really interesting story behind all this. I really hope the game releases eventually and still looks like the brilliant Windwaker/SotC/TLG/Witness hybrid that it was. :-/

I'm sure it will still look like those games. It just won't be half as good as any of them.

Ridley327

hope someone picks it up for multiplat

I get all the "it's dead" comments but people were very interested on reveal. I doubt they're not getting offers by publishers

unless they just wanna straight up go indie publishing

I don't think a project that was dropped by both MS and Sony is an attractive look for would-be takers. I don't see how it doesn't go self-published at this point.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
why is everyone saying SONY dropped them?

they said it themselves, "Tequila Works has chosen..."

this was TW's decision. not Sony's.

It could be business speak for "Sony wasn't happy and gave us the option to get out of the deal we signed." That's not something you say publicly.

But you're right that we shouldn't be overconfident in our interpretations of what was said. Like Rime itself, it is a mystery.

Lingitiz

Well there goes any hope I had this would be good. Deadlight being awful was a telling sign, but those trailers looked so great I wanted to think it was a fluke.

It could be business speak for "Sony wasn't happy and gave us the option to get out of the deal we signed." That's not something you say publicly.

But you're right that we shouldn't be overconfident in our interpretations of what was said. Like Rime itself, it is a mystery.

LOL very true. i don't want to give any credence to that translated post about how badly the game was coming along, but i will just say that i really hope things weren't that bad.

yeah but Sony pushing them toward them having to make the decision =/= "Sony dropped them". this is the typical knee jerk reaction blame game GAF seems to go through, so i'm not sure why i'm surprised.

edit: and yes it's not something you say publicly, but they could have also not worded it with "TW has chosen" and instead said something like "TW is now in full ownership of the Rime IP" or something to that effect, to not specify which party was responsible. they are taking responsibility for this now by choosing (wakka wakka) the wording.

This likely means two things. 1.) Multiplatform! Woohoo! This looks like a wonderfull game that everyone should have the chance to play regardless of box choice. And 2.) were probably looking at another year or two of development without sony's help : (. Maybe they will go to crowdfunding to finish it off?

Elios83

Are you all speculating because of the rights transfer news? Or is there more to this?

There were rumors last year about the team missing deadlines, gameplay being boring and not coming out together as expected.
Yoshida last year when asked about what was happening with the game, replied that the team was small and they had to be patient....
But seems like the patience has been lost :/
Clearly you don't drop a game if things are going well.

I still hope that they can release the game somehow in the future, but I'm not optimistic.

why is everyone saying SONY dropped them?

they said it themselves, "Tequila Works has chosen..."

this was TW's decision. not Sony's.

It's just a PR, Sony was the publisher, they couldn't make such a decision on their own.
Also what do you expect them to say?
Things weren't going well and we were dropped, Sony offered us the possibility to buy again the rights from them instead of leaving us with nothing?

This likely means two things. 1.) Multiplatform! Woohoo! This looks like a wonderfull game that everyone should have the chance to play regardless of box choice. And 2.) were probably looking at another year or two of development without sony's help : (. Maybe they will go to crowdfunding to finish it off?

A year or two? Lol . I bet this game is never coming out.

Top Bottom