• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator 1 vs Terminator 2. Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the definite blu ray for both movies?

I checked Amazon and saw T1 got remastered and people keep telling T2 skynet Edition is the way to go.

phaonaut

l5zoNE0.gif

T2 easily.

dlauv

Terminator 2, but just by a nosehair. They are both 10/10's.

Off-Topic: The Thor 2 thing isn't funny anymore, it's almost as played out as 'you know _____ , we really are the last of us'.

I think the point is to play it out and keep it going anyway to the groans of many.

Anyway, I think T2 works for me particularly in how it responds to T1. It doesn't work nearly as well as a standalone movie -- or, maybe it does, idk. More universal appeal. Arnold's a very different character, but not completely. The T-1000 is a far more sinister robot, able to replicate loved ones and move through society as smoothly as a liquid, fittingly enough, rather than the freight train Arnold was in the first. I think it makes the nightmare more real, whereas T1 was kind of dreamy in that sense.

In T1, the cop scene and chase scene didn't work for me. I liked the hairspray sequence and the bar scene though.

Paracelsus

Like I said in the Aliens thread: the second one is the most rewatchable action movie, the original is probably the best.

Sephzilla

Indiana Jones is more adventure/action than straight action, but it still qualifies I guess. I have that same weird "it's an action movie?" feeling as well when talking about Indiana Jones however there's nothing that disqualifies it from being considered an action movie.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Any action movie list without John Wick is instantly invalid.

Instantly.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I am always shocked Iron Monkey isn't mentioned.
Even more so when people talk about Donnie Yen, yet not mention Iron Monkey.

An indiana jones movie as #1?
I didn't even know they were action movies.

How could you not?

Like—look at it! Look at what's happening! How is that not action?

Schwarzenegger/Stallone sorta mutated/perverted the notion of what an "action" movie was and could be. There's really no functional difference between "action/adventure" and "action." In fact, the "action" genre wasn't even really it's own separate genre until then (and I'd argue still isn't) it was just short for "action/adventure"

T1000 split before it was actually hit, bother me now that I know it

Have you noticed Arnolds massive arm wearing a sock and trying to hid it behind his back but actually being displayed right in the middle of the camera when the T-800 tears it's arm off in the factory? That always takes me out of film temporarily.

Both are great. I prefer T2.

In other (related) news, apparently the Terminator franchise is over! :(
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...paramount-arnold-schwarzenegger-a7641651.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Better left dead. I'm not even convinced I'd be interested in a Cameron produced reboot. It's honestly been a law of diminishing returns since the first movie was always meant to be a self contained one off story. Even T2 which is a great film had plot issues it created and a sense of sameness in some respects. The Terminator series has really started to suffer from the Highlander syndrome.

Personally, I've always preferred the first by quite a bit, due to it's horror elements and its shroud of mystery throughout the film.

Terminator 2 is solid, but in later years, I kind of find Sarah Connor's monologues to be very long winded and preachy, and John Connor always got on my nerves. I also find the escalated spectacle to be less to my taste compared to the gritty, more grounded (for a sci-fi film) approach to the original.

Yeah, I definitely prefer the original. The preachiness in two has definfitely become a turnoff over the years.

While I haven't watched T2 in years and see no reason to do so in the next decade after years of VHS viewings, I still hesitate to say it's a bad film.

I don't watch it either, but its competence as a film is uh, hard to deny on technical merits alone.

I am always shocked Iron Monkey isn't mentioned.
Even more so when people talk about Donnie Yen, yet not mention Iron Monkey.

It was never very well distributed in my country at least. First I ever heard of it was when HKL brought out the DVD in '01.

Fantastic film though.

tariniel

I've really had a hankering to re-watch these lately but it's a bummer that they aren't on Netflix/Prime or similar, at least that I've found. Don't really fancy buying a disc just to watch them once and shelf them for a couple years.

But to answer the thread, T2 by a mile.

I prefer the first one, without a doubt. T2 is great, but I always hated how they turned the fucking Terminator into a good guy. T1's version is Arnold Schwarzenegger's best performance, and one of my favorite movie villains.

Discovered this channel yesterday, and has an excellent video on what makes T1's cinematography and action so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKi8Fo31nE

Really great channel by the way, it's focused on analyzing and discussing action in movies

Gonna have to watch this when I get home. Both movies have some awesome shots. One of my favorite movie moments ever is in T2 when Arnold walks across the truck and onto the hood of the T1000's tanker, and just fucking unloads with the machine gun point blank. I don't know why, but every time I see it I just have to say "that's fucking awesome."

Damn....T2 is actually beating Thor 2!

A true sign of a winner (even though I prefer T1 but voted for Thor 2 because duh always vote for Thor 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom