• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle (Sakaguchi/Mistwalker) announced for iOS/Android [Staff, first details]

Zomba13

Oh look, it was a free to play mobile game!

It's so depressing how predictable this sort of shit has become. (Previously) Great Japanese developer/dev team announce a new game/new entry to a franchise with little information/more to follow -> turns out to be a f2p mobile game with microtransactions.

:(

wrowa

The only thing that seems obvious is that he went (was forced) independent and Sony wasn't willing to foot the bill for his projects like MS/Nintendo were.
What isn't obvious to me is this supposed 'dislike' towards Sony that some claim that he has, i.e.:

I'm not sure if you understood me correctly. I don't think that there's any bad blood between Sakaguchi and Sony. Since Mistwalker's games have been funded by publishers that don't release games on PlayStation hardware, releasing games on PS3 or PSP just isn't a possibility that ever arised. I think it's really as simple as that. Everything else just sounds like a weird conspiracy theory to me.

Didn't Mistwalker also require outsourced assistance from Artoon & feelplus, on top of financial backing from MS Game Studios, in order to get Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey made? It was a small studio carried simply by the popularity of the "From the father of Final Fantasy" hype.

Mistwalker calls itself a "design studio". The idea is that Sakaguchi and his small team would envision the concept of a game and another studio would be used as "code monkeys" to make the project reality, so to speak. In theory Mistwalker could have done quite a few game at the same time that way, but with the downfall of the JRPG genre most publishers probably dislike the idea of having to contract two studios at the same time. It's not like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey or Last Story have a super great reputation either.

I believe the smartphone stuff is being developed in-house, though. I think that's one of the main reasons Mistwalker is concentrating on mobile these days: Smartphone games are simple enough to develop them with a small amount of people.

I'm not sure if you understood me correctly. I don't think that there's any bad blood between Sakaguchi and Sony. Since Mistwalker's games have been funded by publishers that don't release games on PlayStation hardware, releasing games on PS3 or PSP just isn't a possibility that ever arised. I think it's really as simple as that. Everything else just sounds like a weird conspiracy theory to me.

Got ya. Agreed completely.

Dark_castle

Oh look, it was a free to play mobile game!

It's so depressing how predictable this sort of shit has become. (Previously) Great Japanese developer/dev team announce a new game/new entry to a franchise with little information/more to follow -> turns out to be a f2p mobile game with microtransactions.

:(

It's depressing, but you gotta face the hard truth that the times have moved on. Japan is now dominated by mobile gaming, and with the cost of video game development rising through the roof, the future of console JRPG is bleak at best.

Berlin

Neo Member
The drama behind that time is always going to be filled with misconceptions, but I was referencing Square Pictures there. :p

They spent a shit load of money on that studio/facilities.
They got one feature-length film and one short film out of it before it folded. Not a good business investment.

OK, right. But I wonder what would have happened if instead of folding the business they'd just wait a while and start doing contracts. They've had the tech & skills...

Terra Battle staff:
Producer/Concept: Hironobu Sakaguchi
Director/Programming: Koji Ono
Character Design: Kimihiko Fujisaka
Game Design: Yuki Nishimura
Graphic Design: Kenei Hayama
Music: Nobuo Uematsu

My 1 minute google fu searches says Koji Ono and Yuki Nishimura are both ex-SE staff members. But they seem never worked on proper director/design duties.

Duck, any info/opinion regarding this staff?

li bur

I still can't believe that a freemium game are going to be balanced. Its their source of income after all. I'd rather they release a paid app but as the publisher is gung ho that would never be the case.

Breakage

Sakaguchi seems to be stuck in a creative rut.
Everything he has put out post Final Fantasy just seems like a rehash of the past.

OK, right. But I wonder what would have happened if instead of folding the business they'd just wait a while and start doing contracts. They've had the tech & skills...

I've wondered the same thing.
Very talented artists there at the time. Hell, TSW is, what, 13 years old at this point and still has some absolutely phenomenal CG.

Teknoman

Doing a 3DS or Vita game would be "fallen" far more than doing a iOS/Android game. iOS/Android are way bigger platforms who sell a ton more games in both $$ and in quantity than any other handheld could dream of.

People need to stop acting like iOS/Android are some how lower. The other handhelds, hell the CONSOLES wish they could have the kind of gaming revenue as iOS/Android brings in. iOS/Android is a major element of the gaming industry that would be far worse shape right now without it.

I mean making games on the most successful gaming platforms in the industry today or making hardcore gamers on a message board happy? I mean it's silly to assume most developers would pick the later. Especially small ones like Mistwalker.

The problem is that when you see something exclusively for iOS/Android (or at at least imo), it seems to indicate that it'll just be some bite sized experience.

If the games are not possible on modern cell phones, they definitely aren't possible on the 3ds. And most likely the vita.

Are they wanting big budget hd rpgs with normal controls? That means they'll exist on ps3 and that's nothing compared to who will buy shit on phones

I think most would be ok with something Bravely Default scope / graphic quality,and then anything more would be icing on the cake.

ZoddGutts

Wonder if Sakaguchi name still holds enough weight to be able to do a successor Kickstarter maybe bring Matsuno along too.

Wonder if Sakaguchi name still holds enough weight to be able to do a successor Kickstarter maybe bring Matsuno along too.

The trouble is, with game budgets being what they are, even with Kickstarter Sakaguchi wouldn't be able to fundraise anything much more complicated than a retro-style 2D JRPG, which isn't all that different from what he's doing now. The dream of being able to fundraise something on the scale of The Last Story is still a long way off.

Prototype

I'm just glad it's not on 3DS/Vita. Prefer a device that I always have around me; my 3DS has been lying on some shelf for some time now.
This. 3ds was a terrible purchase, at least my gf gets some use out of it.

Pleasantly surprised by this, will keep an eye on it.

wrowa

The trouble is, with game budgets being what they are, even with Kickstarter Sakaguchi wouldn't be able to fundraise anything much more complicated than a retro-style 2D JRPG, which isn't all that different from what he's doing now. The dream of being able to fundraise something on the scale of The Last Story is still a long way off.

To be honest, I think at this point I'd rather take a polished 16-bit style RPG made by Sakaguchi and some other cool dudes than a sequel to Last Story or Lost Odyssey. :x

And, yeah, I think if he'd sell a new project as a spiritual sequel to FFVI he would easily raise a ton of money on Kickstarter if he's able to get at least Amano and Uematsu on board.

Shion

I'm OK with this.

Give me a JRPG with an interesting battle-system, with good story and writing, a beautiful art-style, a memorable cast of characters, an awesome setting and an engaging world. Respect my time by avoiding the unnecessary bloat and grinding that plague most JRPGs.

Make it look like this:

IW8WA3s.jpg

Or, hell, even this:
i24AiG4.jpg

And I'll be there day 1.

Mandoric

Banned
I'm OK with this.

Give me a JRPG with an interesting battle-system, with good story and writing, a beautiful art-style, a memorable cast of characters, an awesome setting and an engaging world. Respect my time by avoiding the unnecessary bloat and grinding that plague most JRPGs.

And I'll be there day 1.

That's exactly what he's doing - making a Sakaguchi RPG, with the option to pay what's almost definitely under the price of a 3DS game to basically skip any meaningful interaction and cut straight to the feels if you're not a fan of the G part.

Longsword

With over 50% of the total games industry income coming from smartphones in Japan, and 95%+ of that revenue coming from F2P, it is obvious what Japanese Studios are going to do. Decision dictated by logic.

duckroll

My 1 minute google fu searches says Koji Ono and Yuki Nishimura are both ex-SE staff members. But they seem never worked on proper director/design duties.

Duck, any info/opinion regarding this staff?

There isn't really much to say about it. Seems like it's a small core team at Mistwalker developing a small mobile title. Some of them are folks Sakaguchi probably got to know back at Squaresoft, while some have worked with him on previous Mistwalker titles. We don't even know how the game looks and plays, so there isn't much for me to form an opinion on.

CTLance

Not a fan of the F2P part at all, that shit can get really tiring if handled incorrectly.

No problem with it being on mobile at all. A good game is a good game regardless of hardware.

Still, dat F2P. Sooo pessimistic about that.

Maedhros

With over 50% of the total games industry income coming from smartphones in Japan, and 95%+ of that revenue coming from F2P, it is obvious what Japanese Studios are going to do. Decision dictated by logic.

Totally this.

Too bad most of us don't really cares about logic.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Same artist from The Last Story? Looks stylistically similar at least.

The only mobile game I've ever played really was Chaos Rings.
I'm not really interested since it drains my phone battery, and heaven forbid I can't text or use Google Maps... but the talent attached is real enough to at least pay attention, I suppose.

Not knocking it, go for it.
I just would personally prefer a Crimson Shroud-esque experience. That was awesome what Matsuno did there.

Baust

That guy in the back looks just like Peter Dinklage:

GECdGKZ.png

But yeah, the art here really looks like Drakengard 3 a lot. I guess Kimihiko Fujisaka's still used to illustrating for it.

Top Bottom