• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hm, just checked this week's "The Drop" post on the PS Blog, and Terraria isn't listed in the "Demos" section. So it seems there may not be a demo on the PS3, though The Drop isn't always 100% accurate. Doesn't much matter to me, since I'm already sold on the game no matter what, but some may be disappointed (if it does indeed turn out there isn't a demo).

Will download the 360 demo on Wed. Seems like a game better suited (for me anyway) to a handheld. So if I like it, Vita version might be in my future.

bunbun777

I am impressed by these pics Retro. So is there an 'end' besides what you want to build? Or how does the game sustain itself? Are there still challenges when you have all these cool buildings?

anddo0

I'm guessing it will be $11.99 for PS+?

I admit not pricing it $9.99 is a mistake. But I'm dying for something new to play on my PS3. So, $14.99/$11.99 I'm in.

muffs92

Re-Logic should add controller support to the pc version so I can actually play it without buying it again on consoles.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Usually I only buy games that are available on both PS3 and Vita (then buy the Vita version if it's not Cross Buy/Play), but with Terraria, I'll make an exception.

Me and my wife played the shit out of this game on the PC, and we'll play the shit out of it on the PS3. Definite must buy. $14.99? Worth it in my opinion. Once they announce the Vita version, I'll get that one as well, and proceed to not play anything else on it for a long, long time. Damn, and I just started Persona 4 Golden, too.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Terraria when I first got it a few years back, but I loved the look of it, and the hype got to me, and I caved and bought it. One of the best purchases I've made all generation (with my Vita, and the new gaming PC I built being the top two purchases of the gen).

I'm going to have to give my Vita to my boss when I go into work, because it will be impossible for me to get any work done with Terraria on it. Hurry up and announce that Vita version, 505! You've already teased it!

I think, with the PS3 version, I'm actually going to take the time to really build some cool homes and stuff. I didn't really invest in that on the PC, and pretty much just built structures around utility.

My wife was big on actually making good looking buildings and structures, and finding all of the cool items and weapons. When I'd come home from work, she'd have a new set of stuff to give me, so I could help her adventure better. I think she was more addicted to the game than I was. Lol.

Lucent

I should have $10 coming from that "spend $50 get $10 back" deal from renewing my PS+ membership this month. So I guess when I get that in April, I will get this. Looks fun and I like having different types of games available.

Retro

I am impressed by these pics Retro. So is there an 'end' besides what you want to build? Or how does the game sustain itself? Are there still challenges when you have all these cool buildings?

On that particular world, I hadn't enabled hard mode (there are enemies that blow up your buildings), so that's a big chunk. I have other worlds where I've triggered the switch and it's pretty tough. The three post-HM bosses are pretty nasty too until you're geared up with everything again.

There's a lot to do, but yeah, at some point it's just building or starting over from scratch. But before you hit that point there are days upon days worth of stuff to do.

SmokyDave

I would avoid this game as its highly addictive.

Seconded. It seems like fun and then you wake up 100 hours later and you've lost your job.

Don't do it kids.

Re-Logic should add controller support to the pc version so I can actually play it without buying it again on consoles.
I'm fairly sure I played it exclusively with a controller. Maybe it was through Joy2Key though.

Can't wait for this, so excited!
3AQmK.gif
anyone going to be doing a PS3 livestream?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Audίoboxer;51557055 said:
Cannot wait to play this with my girlfriend.... oh wait.... FUCKING SCEE.

Do you have a PC newer than a 2004 model? You can play it right now and cheaper on PC.

Gd xbla and their Wednesday releases. I have today off and it's miserable outside.. Whyyy.

Oh well guess I'll have to wake up early tmrw and play before work. Anyone know the download size?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Seconded. It seems like fun and then you wake up 100 hours later and you've lost your job.

Don't do it kids.

I'm fairly sure I played it exclusively with a controller. Maybe it was through Joy2Key though.

Don't worry, I've already planned my death for the next few months, so I should be good. When the Vita version comes out, I also told my supervisor to confiscate my Vita when I'm at work, because, well, I work on Smart Phones, so it would be way, way too easy to wile away the hours playing Terraria on the down low instead of working...

balddemon

Banned
I'm really tempted to double dip. Need reassurance that there will be a GAF server lol.

My I'd is TheHaighter just in case I do get it

LiquidMetal14

Handles sluggishly and I expected a little better resolution but I can't really blame the HW as much as the devs on that. I don't know if pad controls are best for this game but I came away disappointed after playing it.

I don't feel like I can precisely build or do anything yet.

LiquidMetal14

How are the controls? Particularly building stuff?

Not so good so far and it's not due to the controller.

I just don't know if it's made for pad as much or they need to fine tune the precision.

I had to hold the controller awkwardly just to build upward and make walls to shield myself from enemies.

What, does the second stick emulate a mouse cursor?

You use both but the right analog is for free movement of the cursor.

Noi

Just picked it up. Never played the PC version, I wasn't the only one who got confused over how to build a shelter in the tutorial was I?

Not so good so far and it's not due to the controller.

I just don't know if it's made for pad as much or they need to fine tune the precision.

I had to hold the controller awkwardly just to build upward and make walls to shield myself from enemies.

You use both but the right analog is for free movement of the cursor.

I am not sure if your referring to this but if you Right click the right analog it enables a precision cross hair

LiquidMetal14

I am not sure if your referring to this but if you Right click the right analog it enables a precision cross hair

Sounds like a cursor to me. If you want to call it cross hair then that's fine but it emulates the precision of a mouse without the precision though lol

Just picked it up. Never played the PC version, I wasn't the only one who got confused over how to build a shelter in the tutorial was I?

No confusing but difficult due to embracing the controls which I think could be better.

LiquidMetal14

Someone else needs to elaborate and see if things can feel better but the controls feel off. The UI is not bad and about as good as you can ask for a console version but the actual functionality and precision is lacking.

Top Bottom