• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

redhot_

Only thing wrong with the controls for me is in the menus... it scrolls really fast. Everything else you just have to get used to it.

I haven't had any issues building and crafting other then not realizing you can R3 click and be able to place much easier that was my only problem but now everything seems fine to me. I was able to co op for few hours with a friend

anddo0

Some major server issues. I lost 4 games due to the server kicking me and my friends. It's day on on consoles. So I'll give it some time.

Other than the server hang-ups. It's a really good port.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played for an hour and a half or so. Had to abandon my first world because the layout of the starting area was just awful. :lol Second world was way better though. Thus far, I'm not really having any problems with the controls, minus that it does take a little bit longer to do certain things, but I'm sure once I get used to the controls that won't happen anymore. Also apparently the right stick on my DS3 has a bit of wander to it.

Aside from those minor issues, though, it's a wonderful port and I'm absolutely going to be pouring a ton of time into it. :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh dammit. So this game has the trophy issue, where the trophies aren't properly uploaded to Sony's servers. So every time you try to view your trophies or your profile card thingy, it attempts to sync with the server, and it takes FOREVER. Dungeon Defenders had this problem back when it first came out, and it took them like two months to fix it. Gah. =/

Oh dammit. So this game has the trophy issue, where the trophies aren't properly uploaded to Sony's servers. So every time you try to view your trophies or your profile card thingy, it attempts to sync with the server, and it takes FOREVER. Dungeon Defenders had this problem back when it first came out, and it took them like two months to fix it. Gah. =/

Platinum?

Glad to see mostly positive reviews for this.
Holding my breath till Monday

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Platinum?

Glad to see mostly positive reviews for this.
Holding my breath till Monday

Yes, there's a Platinum

Also, there seems to be a bug that causes the day/night cycle to revert to daytime when loading a game, regardless of whether it was day or night when the game was saved.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Trophies seem broken for me. I was awarded a few, but the game doesn't even show up in the trophy list. Worse yet, seems like the system thinks they're there, because it tries to sync every time you check, spends 2-3 minutes syncing, yet nothing changes. You can exit trophies and go right back, without touching any games, and it does the same thing again.

BioShock Infinite got added, however.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I thought they all did that now due to Vita trophies. If I remember correctly you can disable mandatory syncs by scrolling to trophies in the XMB -> triangle -> switch mode -> offline. You'll only see trophies stored on the console which means you won't be able to view Vita trophies and you'll need to force syncs in the XMB/profile card to update the server.

Tizoc

Hmm would be good if the Vita ver. was offered for free for those that got the game early...mainly because I don't want to buy it again =P Doesn't help that I use a different account on my PS3 than my Vita too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I missed this post. Does the game ultimately show up in your trophy list? I've got the obnoxiously long sync, but there's no evidence of Terraria in either the list or the profile card.

Vaco6121

I missed this post. Does the game ultimately show up in your trophy list? I've got the obnoxiously long sync, but there's no evidence of Terraria in either the list or the profile card.

The trophy list shows up when I select offline mode, but not when I select online mode.

My PSN is Vaco6121 if anyone wants to add me to play this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, the problem is that the trophies aren't uploaded, or aren't properly uploaded, to Sony's servers. Hence the reason you don't see the Terraria entry when you're in online mode.

hiro4

So a few tips regarding the controls if anyone is interested.

You can switch between manual and auto/ smart cursor mode with a press on the right joystick. The basic difference between both is the precision of control and cursor speed. Manual mode is great for when you want to have precision for building or digging a precise part of the world. Auto/ smart cursor behavior is context sensitive and especially handy for digging. Enable auto/ smart cursor, aim down and dig away for a quick and easy way to dig a hellevator. Also for placing back walls auto/ smart cursor is very very handy. You can fill your house with a wall in matter of seconds. Using ranged weapons in smart/ auto cursor is easy too, since you can aim very quickly in all directions.

The range for your manual cursor depends on the item you have selected. You can check this with the first pickaxe you get and a better one like the gold pickaxe which has increased range. The range of placing or digging objects etc is the same as on the pc version btw.

In the controls menu in options you can switch the secondary jump (left joystick) and grapple (L1/ LT) which I prefer. That way you can move around jump, attack, aim and select your items with all your fingers. It feels very zen like when fighting bosses.

Not up on the EU PS store today. :( It's not fully updated yet but I'm guessing it's not coming this week since they haven't announced anything.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I love Minecraft but I never really got into this. I'd like to though. Just struggled with the lack of tutorial or direction at the beginning.

MrDaravon

Uhhhh is the tutorial broken on 360 for anyone else? It keeps getting stuck when it gets to the prompt where it tells you to go to your inventory and switch to Crafting to make the wood platforms, it just never advances. I've gone completely through the tutorial three times to this part now, breaks in the same way.

Considering that I've never really played the game before, having the tutorial that teaches you how to play the game completely break halfway through is really discouraging me from picking this up.

Castef

Banned
Uhhhh is the tutorial broken on 360 for anyone else? It keeps getting stuck when it gets to the prompt where it tells you to go to your inventory and switch to Crafting to make the wood platforms, it just never advances. I've gone completely through the tutorial three times to this part now, breaks in the same way.

Considering that I've never really played the game before, having the tutorial that teaches you how to play the game completely break halfway through is really discouraging me from picking this up.

Completed the tutorial twice, no problem at all on Xbox 360.

I know this sounds a stupid question, yet did you press B?

Also, consider that the tutorial asks very precise things: are you sure you created and placed the very amount of platforms he's asking for?

MrDaravon

Completed the tutorial twice, no problem at all on Xbox 360.

I know this sounds a stupid question, yet did you press B?

Also, consider that the tutorial asks very precise things: are you sure you created and placed the very amount of platforms he's asking for?

I'm not getting the B prompt at all to advance is the problem. It's not even getting to the part where it's asking me to place the wood platforms, just to open up my inventory and get to the crafting menu. All three times I've tried waiting, going in and out of the menu, as well as actually crafting the 5 platforms, placing them, and getting out of the hole. I have no fucking idea.

Castef

Banned
By the way, now that the review NDA is lifted my review has been published.

I'm very pleased with the console edition of the game, expecially about how the controls have been migrated to the joypad. Playing feels natural and I do not miss the mouse+keyboard combination.

Also, fighting using the joypad is easier.

Split screen multiplayer is also a massive addition and fits very well in Terraria.

A very good conversion, actually.

Castef

Banned
I'm not getting the B prompt at all to advance is the problem. It's not even getting to the part where it's asking me to place the wood platforms, just to open up my inventory and get to the crafting menu. All three times I've tried waiting, going in and out of the menu, as well as actually crafting the 5 platforms, placing them, and getting out of the hole. I have no fucking idea.

Weird. :(

Look, try watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9ynH3MIhc

It is the full tutorial "explained" in video, maybe you can find the solution looking at how that part is completed in the video.

MrDaravon

By the way, now that the review NDA is lifted my review has been published.

I'm very pleased with the console edition of the game, expecially about how the controls have been migrated to the joypad. Playing feels natural and I do not miss the mouse+keyboard combination.

Also, fighting using the joypad is easier.

Split screen multiplayer is also a massive addition and fits very well in Terraria.

A very good conversion, actually.

Do you get used to the cursor in this version? I obviously only played for a few minutes, but I couldn't really get a feel for if the manual (?) cursor or the automatic one was better or not, both felt kinda weird.

Weird. :(

Look, try watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9ynH3MIhc

It is the full tutorial "explained" in video, maybe you can find the solution looking at how that part is completed in the video.

I'll watch this in a bit, thanks! I don't really care about necessarily playing through the tutorial, just making sure I have whatever knowledge it imparts since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Castef

Banned
The console version has a tutorial.

Yep, It is a 15-20 minutes tutorial which just teaches the basics, yet is enough to get into the game mechanics without the "WTF" feeling of the PC edition. A nice addition.

Still, the game provides not so much information about HOW it is meant to be played, so players still have to guess where to go and what to do once in the full game.

Castef

Banned
Do you get used to the cursor in this version? I obviously only played for a few minutes, but I couldn't really get a feel for if the manual (?) cursor or the automatic one was better or not, both felt kinda weird.

Actually, I just use the automatic one for digging fast and fighting and switch to the manual one for precise digging and placement.

I've found this a pleasant solution, even if I had to get used to it a bit.

hiro4

Weird! I've sent you a PM, I'm kinda curious how you got this three times in a row.

Yep, It is a 15-20 minutes tutorial which just teaches the basics, yet is enough to get into the game mechanics without the "WTF" feeling of the PC edition. A nice addition.

Still, the game provides not so much information about HOW it is meant to be played, so players still have to guess where to go and what to do once in the full game.

This was exactly what the tutorial was intended for. You can't explain the whole game in the tutorial, the game is way too huge for that. The main goal of the tutorial was to give the player enough information and experience to survive the first night and give them a comfort zone from which they could explore at their own pace.

Actually, I just use the automatic one for digging fast and fighting and switch to the manual one for precise digging and placement.

I've found this a pleasant solution, even if I had to get used to it a bit.

Yup, this is probably the best way to play the game. Personally I prefer the controller, but I'm primarily a console gamer so I am biased. I think the learning curve is quite low, even if there are situations where you have to use 6 fingers at the same time. Though those situations are quite rare and not during the beginning moments of the game.

Oh man this is so good. Found a snow biome with a huge cave near my home base. Need more armor before I go back tho.. Giant worms be triflin'.

But yeah I'm really liking the controls so far, especially the hot keys on the d pad. Makes torches and health items easy to use when in need. Also opens up slots in item bar. Very nice port, gonna be losing many an hour to this.

hymanator

Handles sluggishly and I expected a little better resolution but I can't really blame the HW as much as the devs on that. I don't know if pad controls are best for this game but I came away disappointed after playing it.

I don't feel like I can precisely build or do anything yet.

I am feeling the same way. The controls are extremely frustrating. I tried to build a cabin and I kept wanting to scream at my television at first when blocks were placed in the wrong spot, even though I was aiming the controller cursor directly at where I wanted to build. Made it even worse when a zombie, flying eyeball, slimeball or whatever else is knocking you around when you are trying to delicately aim where your placing your next block.

The problem with the controls is that it has an auto-aim system for digging and building. You can use the right stick to nudge where the auto-aim will dig or build, but most of the time it will highlight the wrong spot. It's confusing because you are controlling a white cursor, but that white cursor has nothing to do with where you are actually digging or building. Instead, the white cursor steers where a yellow cursor chooses to auto-aim. EDIT: Just found where to toggle the auto aiming... whew!

What's even worse is that the yellow auto-aim cursor will NEVER select behind a block, so you can't dig or build behind existing walls. This becomes a huge headache as you can imagine.

Not all hope is lost though, after some practice I was able to adjust to the tougher controls, but it definitely makes the game much more difficult to play.

One feature they added that I liked was you can map any 4 items you want to the d-pad. Doing this will free up 4 slots from your existing hot-bar, so you no longer have to keep your sword, pickaxe, torches or whatever else in the hot-bar and mapped to the d-pad instead. I'm not regretting my purchase just yet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I am feeling the same way. The controls are extremely frustrating. I tried to build a cabin and I kept wanting to scream at my television at first when blocks were placed in the wrong spot, even though I was aiming the controller cursor directly at where I wanted to build. Made it even worse when a zombie, flying eyeball, slimeball or whatever else is knocking you around when you are trying to delicately aim where your placing your next block.

The problem with the controls is that it has an auto-aim system for digging and building. You can use the right stick to nudge where the auto-aim will dig or build, but most of the time it will highlight the wrong spot. It's confusing because you are controlling a white cursor, but that white cursor has nothing to do with where you are actually digging or building. Instead, the white cursor steers where a yellow cursor chooses to auto-aim.

What's even worse is that the yellow auto-aim cursor will NEVER select behind a block, so you can't dig or build behind existing walls. This becomes a huge headache as you can imagine. I was hoping there were different control schemes in the options but there aren't any.

Not all hope is lost though, after some practice I was able to adjust to the tougher controls, but it definitely makes the game much more difficult to play.

One feature they added that I liked was you can map any 4 items you want to the d-pad. Doing this will free up 4 slots from your existing hot-bar, so you no longer have to keep your sword, pickaxe, torches or whatever else in the hot-bar and mapped to the d-pad instead. I'm not regretting my purchase just yet.

...have you tried clicking in the right stick to switch to manual aim mode?

daydream

Banned
Already sunk some time into the game and I'm really enjoying it (I had a hard time putting the controller down, actually). Didn't have any control issues at all, as I quickly got used to them. It probably helps that I didn't play the PC version.

I had one small annoyance with the sprite and text size in split screen. Just had to sit closer to the screen.

So I started playing at about 1 am after taking a break from Bioshock and next thing I know is I look at the clock and its 630 am and I am still cracking out on it. Its a lot of fun thus far my only gripe is cannot get online or rather online is not working for some reason. Well hopefully that will get patched soon because I am just having a blast with it.

I been trying to gather supplies how far do you need to mine until you get to the good stuff? Last night I came across a church like building deep underground that had skeletons and weird statue. I did find a badass spear that has been wiping out my enemy problems

Tyrax

Trying out now on the 360. This feels like it will work, menus are fast enough with the controller. Looking forward to trying split screen later today.

redhot_

Ok ill try this again.. Is there voice chat on the PSN version?

I have had trouble with my mic in other games when I host and haven't read anything saying if there is or isn't in Terraria.

Happened to me when I built a door it never got past it and said I still needed a door.

How does playing couch coop work? Will it save the second player's status and equipment and do we both have to play it through Live as well?

Retro

So I started playing at about 1 am after taking a break from Bioshock and next thing I know is I look at the clock and its 630 am and I am still cracking out on it.

You were warned repeatedly in this thread; Terraria will devour anyone it chooses. Any loss of property, employment, health, family and/or significant other is squarely on you, the game is a beast. And let me guess; you're not even that far yet. Gold armor if you've been lucky, gotten to see some Lava maybe.

Yeah, you're gonna be playing a while. Fuckin' Terraria is great.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I sunk quite a bit of time into the PC version, so the transition from PC to console was jarring at first.

It took me a good hour or more to get used to the PS3 controls, but at the end of that hour, I was building, digging, and fighting like a boss. My wife initially complained to no end while playing with me, but just like with me, by the end of our play session, the controls fell to the background.

I found that auto/smart cursor is best for digging, fighting, and hacking stuff. I found manual cursor to be best for building structures and placing things. I also really enjoy being able to hotkey 4 items to the digital pad. I like being able to use L2 and R2 to cycle through items, but I have my most used hotkeyed to the digital pad. I keep a melee weapon, torches, pickaxe, and ranged weapon hot keyed to the left, up, right, and down buttons, respectively. This has helped speed up exploration. I find that using auto/smart cursor, holding a direction, and holding down the R1 button has sped up my making paths through the world.

Overall, I'm loving it just as much as I did the PC version, and I honestly prefer being able to control my character with the analog stick. I never got comfortable with the WASD + Spacebar controls on the PC version.

Also, being able to play online is so much easier than the hassle I had to go through to play it online with Steam back then (I haven't played the PC version in ages in anticipation for the console version). Me and my wife played couch co-op, and my nephew, who lives 3,000 miles away, played at home.

The split screen wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but then again, we're playing on a 40" screen. When my wife left the game and I had the whole screen to myself, it was amusing to see all those pixels blown up so huge. Lol. I'm really excited for a Vita version, because I think, if they put it in there, the touch screen controls would really add to the game.

How does playing couch coop work? Will it save the second player's status and equipment and do we both have to play it through Live as well?

Couch co-op is pretty simple. When you've logged into your game (on your account), the second player just presses Start on their controller, and then, like LittleBigPlanet does, they can select to log in as their account (if their account is also on your system). Then the game pauses, and loads into Split Screen. They can quit the game by going to the pause menu and exiting the game. It will save their data, and then the game will pause again, and go back to single screen. This is how it worked when me and my wife played on the same TV.

We could have just used the other PS3, but since she was in the bedroom with me, we figured might as well Split Screen it. It worked really well, and was a lot of fun once we got past the aforementioned control issues.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For some reason I'm finding a lot more gold than silver. :lol Also, it turns out I've got corruption not too far from my home base on either side, haha. Kinda sucks, but I've set up sunflower blocks on either side of both areas, so it won't be spreading.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Son of a bitch. So I don't know why, but the game hard locks my console whenever I try to load my world now. Goddamnit. =/

Starting to feel like this game didn't go through a very thorough QA process.

Top Bottom