• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

Retro

Is there a way to teleport so you can get around to areas you've already been to quicker?

The only way to teleport is to use the Magic Mirror, which teleports you to spawn / your bed. That's it. You can find it in random chests, and it requires 20 mana to operate.

I don't know if 505 added something new, but in PC Terraria that's it. That's why we dig Hellevators and express tunnels, to speed up the process of getting around. Used to work in 3- man crews at opposite ends of the world and dig straight shafts towards each other, dropping signs at any points of interest.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
is there a demo for psn? I checked on release day but I didn't see one.

There isn't, no. Kinda wish there was, since I heard that the demo on the 360 is comprised solely of the tutorial. Which would be great, since it would force more people to do the tutorial. Then we'd have less people complaining about the controls when they don't even realize that R3 changes the cursor to the manual cursor.

daydream

Banned
Put some more hours into it and I'm having a lot of fun, even though I don't feel like I'm making too much progress. Probably need to dig deeper or something. I don't really want to look anything up.

Retro

Put some more hours into it and I'm having a lot of fun, even though I don't feel like I'm making too much progress. Probably need to dig deeper or something. I don't really want to look anything up.

Where's your armor/weapon/tools at, quality wise? We can steer you in a direction without spoiling it, but we need to know where you're at.

daydream

Banned
Where's your armor/weapon/tools at, quality wise? We can steer you in a direction without spoiling it, but we need to know where you're at.

I've found silver and used that for my weapons/tools, but I'm still looking for gold. Am I having bad luck or is it actually rare?

I'm also not finding many chests when I'm just randomly exploring. The few I found were at the end of generated tunnels.

Retro

I've found silver and used that for my weapons/tools, but I'm still looking for gold. Am I having bad luck or is it actually rare?

I'm also not finding many chests when I'm just randomly exploring. The few I found were at the end of generated tunnels.

Gold is pretty rare, but the quantity increases the deeper you go. Ore is more concentrated on smaller maps, if you went medium or large I feel for ya (I went large at first too, oh god why did I go large?)

You'll definitely want gold tools soon, and that's a much higher priority than armor or weapons as some materials will require gold. That's your priority now, you might want to continue digging deeper.

If you're having trouble and are absolutely sick and tired of looking, make a Spelunker Potion (aw man, hope I'm not ruining alchemy for anyone). It's 1 each of moonglow, blinkroot, water and gold ore. It will literally make every single chest/vase/ore/gem visible regardless of light quality. Go deep underground, chug it, and look at all the shit around you just waiting to be dug out.

Chests are usually in little wooden bunker rooms scattered around underground, located at the end of pre-generated caverns (usually a bunch at the surface) and there's always one at one end of the world (i.e. always underwater). The ocean one is usually water related, a breathing reed or flippers, usually.

How are you doing on bosses so far?

daydream

Banned
Gold is pretty rare, but the quantity increases the deeper you go. Ore is more concentrated on smaller maps, if you went medium or large I feel for ya (I went large at first too, oh god why did I go large?)

You'll definitely want gold tools soon, and that's a much higher priority than armor or weapons as some materials will require gold. That's your priority now, you might want to continue digging deeper.

If you're having trouble and are absolutely sick and tired of looking, make a Spelunker Potion (aw man, hope I'm not ruining alchemy for anyone). It's 1 each of moonglow, blinkroot, water and gold ore. It will literally make every single chest/vase/ore/gem visible regardless of light quality. Go deep underground, chug it, and look at all the shit around you just waiting to be dug out.

Chests are usually in little wooden bunker rooms scattered around underground, located at the end of pre-generated caverns (usually a bunch at the surface) and there's always one at one end of the world (i.e. always underwater). The ocean one is usually water related, a breathing reed or flippers, usually.

How are you doing on bosses so far?

Thanks, I'll try the potion if I come across moonglow. I'll need a special crafting table for alchemy, I'm guessing.

Haven't encountered any bosses which is probably good, considering the state of my armor.

And yeah, I chose 'large'. But I don't have it in me to start fresh.

Retro

Thanks, I'll try the potion if I come across moonglow. I'll need a special crafting table for alchemy, I'm guessing.

Haven't encountered any bosses which is probably good, considering the state of my armor.

And yeah, I chose 'large'. But I don't have it in me to start fresh.

It's just a table with a glass bottle / pink vase / mug on it. All of those come from clay or sand. Moonglow is best found at night, in the Jungle biome (and it's actually one of the few reasons to stick around in there). Getting it after moonrise is the only way to get seeds.

And don't worry about the large world too much. It will be a problem because of the lower ore density, but there's more opportunities too (like more Corruption chasms).

I really hate giving you guys details, the exploration is really the best part of the game. Finding out all of the crazy stuff is just... magical. I'll be a little less specific from here on in.

Grinchy

Banned

Oh man. I forgot all about being able to make potions. I put ~50 hours into the game right when it came out and then I haven't really played it again until now. There is so much stuff I don't know about and I keep forgetting to look at the wiki before I load my game up. That potion sounds insanely helpful.

Retro

Yeah, the Alchemy system was a late addition and it honestly felt kind of rushed. Some of the ingredients are more valuable than the benefits the potions offer, or come in relatively later than you'd want them. For example, Anti-Gravity potion uses feathers, but those are available almost exclusively after you've already been to places you'd want that potion for.

Maybe redigit will revamp it in the next PC update and that can carry over to the console version. I just know a lot of the potions never came across as more than a neat extra or convenience rather than something I'd want to purposely have on me all the time. Maybe it's because they were added so late in the game's development that by then I'd bypassed the need for them.

Oh well.

daydream

Banned
I really hate giving you guys details, the exploration is really the best part of the game. Finding out all of the crazy stuff is just... magical. I'll be a little less specific from here on in.

That's why I'm not looking anything up. I appreciate the leads, though!

Just wanted to add that this is a great "podcast game".

Retro

That's why I'm not looking anything up. I appreciate the leads, though!

Just wanted to add that this is a great "podcast game".

Yeah, I don't want to spoil too much, but there are places where Redigit's lack of experience in game design (Terraria was only his second project) really shows. There aren't a lot of clues to direct you once you get past the Copper > Iron > Silver > Gold progression system.

Some things, you may not even discover except completely by chance, where the right elements just happen to come together. Others don't occur immediately upon triggering them, or even the first time you hit their trigger. The progression after Gold swings wildly and it's very easy to skip over some stages entirely and make the game more difficult than it needs to be.

I'll stick to just giving basic directions ("Look in this biome"-type stuff, just nudges, really).

Also, by "Podcast game", I assume you mean a game you can just zone out on while listening to podcasts? Very true, I found putting on some music and just digging around can be very peaceful. Until something nasty shows up.

Retro is the official spokesman for Terraria lol

I know, I really am a whore for the game. To the point where I spent so much time talking about the game and hanging out on the GAF server that people thought I was the one hosting it (It was HaRyu, of course).

I have three main 'gaming itches' that I want scratched from any particular product. Customization (lots of choices for playstyle, appearance, etc.), Exploration and Construction. Terraria hits all three at once. I already know when Starbound comes out it's going to completely destroy my sleep schedule and my life. I'm hoping I can get my wife interested in it before launch, but I don't think it's going to happen. The Terraria PC update is going to be good too, supposedly the end of May, but we'll see...

bunbun777

Defeated my first boss. Crafted a demonite sword and it is Lazy class! Oh I was heartbroken. Had only 9 bars left and made a bow, which was a good decision. Looked on the wiki a bit (feels bad) but now I know what I must do. Underground jungle ahoy. Have died so much down there I had to make a new tree fort with a bed. Those hornets and their precious stingers...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Defeated my first boss. Crafted a demonite sword and it is Lazy class! Oh I was heartbroken. Had only 9 bars left and made a bow, which was a good decision. Looked on the wiki a bit (feels bad) but now I know what I must do. Underground jungle ahoy. Have died so much down there I had to make a new tree fort with a bed. Those hornets and their precious stingers...

Haha, dude, I've beaten three bosses and I'm just now going into the Underground Jungle. It can be a pretty rough place. :lol I can only imagine how rough of a time you're having.

Retro

The Jungle always felt like an optional area for side-grades rather than a full-fledged step. If you like using magic as your weapon, that's certainly a good stop, but that's about it. With everything in there being so g'damn evil and nasty, I actually avoid it whenever I can. Even before they gave the hornets the ability to shoot (and poison), I never went in there alone. I usually don't tangle with the underground jungle until I'm rockin' Dungeon gear, and then it's usually only long enough to get enough materials for the vine whip.

Also, demonite is best used for tools first, unless you've already gotten them.

Has anyone had some hard freezes? My maps have gotten to the point where they freeze right when they load. Twice now I ve experienced it back to back

bunbun777

Also, demonite is best used for tools first, unless you've already gotten them.

Yea but you need scales from the 2nd boss before you can craft the pick. I guess I should just go kill him but I really want the Blade of Grass and Ivy Whip. Almost there, just a few more spores to go....

--edit-- and I got them, proud to say I crafted a 'Godly' blade.

C4Lukins

So what world size would people recommend? Normally I would go with the largest, but if that makes things more spaced out and difficult to find then maybe a smaller world would be better. I certainly do not want to feel trapped in a smaller world though if it minimizes the amount of things I can accomplish.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, pretty much caught up to where I was at in the PC version when I stopped. Molten Armor, Night's Edge, all that good stuff.

Now to summon up the courage to take on
Wall of Flesh

...tomorrow...or maybe next week...>_>

EDIT: Holy shit it's 3AM. I don't even remember what time it was when I started playing. This fucking game man.

hiro4

The only way to teleport is to use the Magic Mirror, which teleports you to spawn / your bed. That's it. You can find it in random chests, and it requires 20 mana to operate.

I don't know if 505 added something new, but in PC Terraria that's it. That's why we dig Hellevators and express tunnels, to speed up the process of getting around. Used to work in 3- man crews at opposite ends of the world and dig straight shafts towards each other, dropping signs at any points of interest.

Nope. There isn't another teleportation item added to the game. The magic mirror is still the only way to quickly move back to a certain point in your world.

So what world size would people recommend? Normally I would go with the largest, but if that makes things more spaced out and difficult to find then maybe a smaller world would be better. I certainly do not want to feel trapped in a smaller world though if it minimizes the amount of things I can accomplish.

If it is your first time playing terraria small might be the best choice. Everything is more packed together. It certainly makes things easier though it does cut down on the amount of exploration you can do.

When in doubt take the middle way and go with a normal world :)

Retro

I think I played with Retro the most when I was addicted to Terraria myself. Hell all of this is making me want to get back in before the new PC patch!

HaRyu has said he'd kick on the ol' Terraria server for a "Last Hurrah" before Starbound comes out, but that was before we found out that Terraria is getting an update on the PC. I'll mention it to him.

yep same here. Bought into the hype.

Well, you'll understand if it's not exactly hype, since at that point plenty of people had played it and been completely enthralled. Maybe the game isn't your cup of tea, but that doesn't mean the hype was wrong for everyone. And at 2.50, that's an almost ridiculous price to find out if it was for you, especially considering it might have led to +100 hours (easily) of gameplay.

theDeeDubs

On PC and now PSN, I've gone from Gold to Jungle items (sword and chakram) before tackling the first bosses. I just always assumed that was the natural progression. My gold sword and boomerang felt like wet noodles on the bosses.

anddo0

On PC and now PSN, I've gone from Gold to Jungle items (sword and chakram) before tackling the first bosses. I just always assumed that was the natural progression. My gold sword and boomerang felt like wet noodles on the bosses.

I've been teaching my friend the ropes. I wanted to beat
Eye of Cthulhu
ASAP! So we used nothing but silver bows and fire arrows. The beauty of Terraria right there!

I'm so addicted, only wish I had more time to play. Finally found some hearts, thank jebus. Got a grapple that makes exploring much easier - really nice that u can use nothing but the joysticks and triggers(left for grapple right for item) to move, fight, dig.. Just easy and fun.

Retro can you expand on that tidbit of info you said earlier about things on the surface being clues as to what's below?

Also my mine shaft has finally gotten to lava. Any tips or secrets I should know about? At the moment I've been avoiding it or draining it as needed.

Retro

Retro can you expand on that tidbit of info you said earlier about things on the surface being clues as to what's below?

Also my mine shaft has finally gotten to lava. Any tips or secrets I should know about? At the moment I've been avoiding it or draining it as needed.

The Underground Jungle is always directly below the jungle. The dungeon is always directly below the dungeon entrance. There's usually something worth smashing at the bottom of the corruption. Those 3 are going to be your next destination (corruption first, probably) after getting full Gold tools/weapons/armor.

As for lava... when you have a nightmare pickaxe, try draining some water into it. You can also create a bucket (uses Iron) to carry either liquid around.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I've been trying to put off fighting
Wall of Flesh
for as long as possible, but I don't think I can put it off anymore. I've done just about everything you can do before starting
Hardmode
. I've got
every pre-Hardmode armor set, Night's Edge, Megashark, Sunfury, etc., completely cleared out the dungeon, all that stuff. I guess I could go for that new console-exclusive bow that does ridiculous damage (49, plus turns every arrow shot from it into Spectral Arrows. I think those are new too, they do 19 damage). Would just require mining a bunch more Hellstone.

balddemon

Banned
Man, I've been trying to put off fighting
Wall of Flesh
for as long as possible, but I don't think I can put it off anymore. I've done just about everything you can do before starting
Hardmode
. I've got
every pre-Hardmode armor set, Night's Edge, Megashark, Sunfury, etc., completely cleared out the dungeon, all that stuff. I guess I could go for that new console-exclusive bow that does ridiculous damage (49, plus turns every arrow shot from it into Spectral Arrows. I think those are new too, they do 19 damage). Would just require mining a bunch more Hellstone.

isn't the
megashark hardmode only? thought it needed souls of light or something. but yes, start hardmode. lol.

Wow so I found a
floating island above
the jungle, and there's a golden chest that looks to be locked.. where might I start searching for a key?

Rlan

Could someone on the PSN version of the game tell me how many players there are on the leaderboards? Looking for comparisons comparing the XBLA version.

hiro4

Wow so I found a
floating island above
the jungle, and there's a golden chest that looks to be locked.. where might I start searching for a key?

Best place for golden keys is the
dungeon. Though you will have to first defeat Skeletron to gain access to it

Not really a spoiler but just to be safe.
I think some random chests may also contain a key.

Retro

Welp, started Hardmode, and I'm already up to
Adamantite equipment
, :lol. I'm just blazing through this shit, heh.

Well, once you know what the triggers are and where to go, it's not that hard, honestly. It's the unknown that slows people down, forcing them to carefully pick their way through the content rather than connect the dots rapid fire.

Man, the 360 version of this is unstable as fuck. I've had about 8 or 9 crashes to 360 dashboard in about 6 or 7 gameplay hours. Just had it happen twice back to back, approximately 4 minutes apart.

Crying shame. I am enjoying playing with a friend who isn't the PC player sort and introducing him to this.

But getting black screens, and getting booted to dash is insanely frustrating in a game like this.

is there a demo for psn? I checked on release day but I didn't see one.

There will be one Tuesday April 2nd.

Man, the 360 version of this is unstable as fuck. I've had about 8 or 9 crashes to 360 dashboard in about 6 or 7 gameplay hours. Just had it happen twice back to back, approximately 4 minutes apart.

Crying shame. I am enjoying playing with a friend who isn't the PC player sort and introducing him to this.

But getting black screens, and getting booted to dash is insanely frustrating in a game like this.

You can submit bugs here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TerrariaBugs

505 is working on a patch to fix some of the problems people have been having.

You can submit bugs here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TerrariaBugs

505 is working on a patch to fix some of the problems people have been having.

Already did. Even gave them my email if they're so inclined to ask me about it.

Just got a third crash in....approximately 30 minutes of time total. This time it wiped out some significant dungeon progress, and since I crashed out of my friend's world, the items have been lost permanently.

So as much as I love the game and it's main concepts, I guess I won't be playing this on console with my console buddies until they fix it. Hopefully it won't take too long.

In the interim, I'll at least give MS a ring and get my MSP back.

hgplayer1

I had some problems the other night on 360 but the game wouldnt crash to the dash. I would get kicked out of the game I was in over and over for a period of time but other than that its been stable.

Were you in multiplayer or offline?

Edit: Did your friends game crash in the same way?

I had some problems the other night on 360 but the game wouldnt crash to the dash. I would get kicked out of the game I was in over and over for a period of time but other than that its been stable.

Were you in multiplayer or offline?

Edit: Did your friends game crash in the same way?

Hosting friend does not crash in the same way, people who are connected to the friend have had intermittent crashes, both at the same time as me and staggered. That is to say. the hoster (user B) doesn't crash when I do. Or when other connected people do. He crashes completely independently, at different times. Doesn't matter who's on screen or where, but seems to increase the farther you get from center of map.

Does happen offline too.

Friend can reproduce a DIFFERENT crash with a different person if he uses a specific item while on screen, but that seems unrelated to mine, as every one of my crashes has not happened when he's used said item. Said item only causes user C to crash when hosting buddy B uses a "Celestial Magic Missile" (orange rarity) item while on user C's screen. C then crashes to dashboard.

Doesn't matter, in any case. Got my Microsoft point refund. I just won't be playing as much until this thing is solved.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well just came across a game breaking bug.

I set my spawn point to my bed, now my world wont load and locks up my ps3 every time.

This issue happened to my wife this weekend, and the workaround we found was to create a secondary character, then use that one to load into the broken world. After that, she quits out, chooses her main avatar, and she's able to reload into her world.

Fortunately, I haven't encountered this on my world yet.

Also, I'm simultaneously ecstatic and mortified about Terraria coming to the Vita. I just know I'm going to miss my bus stop on the way to and from work, and then I'm going to be horribly unproductive during my work day. It's just so hard to tear yourself away from it once you begin. The Steam version was bad enough, but now me and my wife have made it a nightly thing to play the PS3 version together for "just a little bit." (cue nearly missing dinner and watching the few shows a week we bother to still check out).

It's that sense of discovery that just keeps on pulling you to go further and further, and then the reward of finding a new area, or a chest that has an awesome item in it. It's just too much.

I think I finally understand what a lot of WoW players experienced in getting sucked into a game, and how you can easily kill 4 or 5 hours just playing it (I couldn't stand WoW, but my wife was addicted for a while, then she got bored). I used to tease my WoW addict friends about that, but now...now, I understand. And I'm sorry...

Seanspeed

Banned
Decided to take the dive and give this game a shot with some leftover points. I'll post impressions soon. I hope all these problems people are having aren't common. I really hate losing a bunch of progress.

Retro

I think I finally understand what a lot of WoW players experienced in getting sucked into a game, and how you can easily kill 4 or 5 hours just playing it (I couldn't stand WoW, but my wife was addicted for a while, then she got bored). I used to tease my WoW addict friends about that, but now...now, I understand. And I'm sorry...

Kind of, but not quite.. both are addictive, but for different reasons and to different personalities. Terraria is HUGE on exploration, with that "I'll just dig to the next open chamber / oops it's 4am already" thing going on, where you just can't help pushing further and further in the hopes of a new discovery.

WoW's draw is mostly "Fill bars to fill more bars to fill more bars" where the goal is just to jump through arbitrary hoops to get more content. There's rarely a surprise around the next bend, usually just another quest hub with more "Kill 10 rats" or "Collect 10 bear asses" quests like the hub you just came from.

MrDaravon

I also experienced the getting booted to dashboard thing that ColonelSkills has; it seems to be a combination of having multiple people in our game along with that specific item he mentioned above. It doesn't seem to be completely caused by that, but it seems like that's one of the tipping points combined with playing with people from multiple continents, etc. For what it's worth I've had zero problems playing with people in the US, it but it seems like it has issues with dealing with foreign connections combined with that item or just a lot of stuff going on in general.

Unless you're playing with a folks in other regions you're probably fine. Both me and my wife are totally fucking hooked on this now.

Top Bottom