• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

balddemon

Banned
Audίoboxer;52555641 said:
Speaking of the mirror, can you make one or do you need to find it?

found pretty easily in chests underground. it will probably be in one of the first 3 chests you open in my experience.

Ishmae1

Audίoboxer;52555641 said:
Speaking of the mirror, can you make one or do you need to find it?

Mirrors can only be found. Fortunately, they are rather common in gold chests in the caverns.

Seanspeed

Banned
slow is an attribute. there are a lot of attributes that you can get by reforging, which comes with a certain npc that you get in the mid game. there are 3 ultimate attributes for weapons: one for ranged, one for melee, and one for magic. the wiki has more info if you're interested.

the mirror uses 20 mana. it will teleport you back to your spawn point, aka where you start when you load your world up. either the original spawn point (middle of world) or your bed if you made one.
I never 'reforged' anything, though...?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For all the talk of how good the Miner's Helmet is, I've never actually used it. There's plenty of other ways to light up darkened caverns/tunnels (the obvious torches/glowsticks, weapons that provide light like phasesabers, potions, etc), and it never seemed worth the defensive hit anyway.

Also, I'm a bit sad that I'm almost done with the game. Only have two more bosses left to go counting the new boss that was added for the console version (though I'm sure
Skeletron Prime
is going to kick my ass six ways from Sunday).

Miners hat is great for exploration in the less dangerous areas, just make sure you have a decent helm for boss fights or scary places

yeah items have a chance to spawn with an attribute or not. you can change it by reforging.
also, slow should be giving you -xx% speed not + lol

Someone brought that up with 505 on the reddit bug talk, so hopefully they get it sorted out in the next patch. I've had the same problem though, both with Slow being a positive % and Violent(or maybe some other modifier, cant recall atm) giving negative %.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Question about hardmode. Is that just a new status laid over your world? Or do you start over in a new world?

I guess I'm curious about whether I should do any kind of prepwork for hardmode before taking down
the Wall of Flesh
. Stuff that might be harder to do once/if that world changes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Welp, beat all the Hardmode bosses, including the new console-exclusive one. I guess I've technically "beaten" the game. :D Of course there's still more to do (there always is with Terraria), but yeah, game beaten!

Ocram is kinda a lame new boss. He's just EoC with some new attacks and more health.

MrDaravon

General progression steps in the game, at least on PC, appear to be designed as follows:

1. Copper tools
2. Silver tools
3. Gold tools
Visit the corruption and fight Eye of Cthulhu and/or Eater of Worlds for Demonite tools.
5. Optional:
Mine fallen meteorites for potentially useful stuff.
6. Optional:
Visit the underground jungle for potentially useful stuff.
Kill the dungeon guardian at night and loot the dungeon
Dig to hell and use Hellstone + Obsidian to make tools.
Kill the Wall of Flesh to get into hard mode.
Break demon altars in the corruption with the Pwnhammer to release new ores into the world.
Cobalt Tools, farm certain enemies for drops to make powerful weapons and spells.
Mithril Tools, killing enemies for drops in the process.
Adamantite Tools, still killing enemies for drops in the process.
Kill more enemies for their drops to make powerful weapons and spells.
Kill each hardmode boss and make Hallowed armor and other more powerful things. Bring potions. Expect to die!
Console specific stuff, or just do whatever the hell you want. You "win!"

I think I remembered everything. Hope that helps.

I'll add a few items I'd recommend looking into crafting:

From the
Eater of Worlds(drops demonite/shadow scales)
-
Nightmare Pickaxe - allows you to mine ebonstone, letting you get to all kind of neat things in the corruption
-
Shadow Armor - makes you move faster and look like a baller while doing so

From the
Underground Jungle(look for jungle spores/stingers/vines)
-
Ivy Whip - allows you to grapple with 3 independent grapples, kinda like Doctor Octopus from Spiderman. It's fkn awesome and makes exploring and mining easy peasy. Also longer than the OGrapple
-
Thorn Chakram - like a boomerang but super bouncy and hurtful
-
Blade of Grass - good damage with a pretty good reach, not a bad sword to use

From the
Meteorite
-
Hamaxe - combines the hammer and axe into one badass weapon, very useful
-
Phaseblade - I think the Blade of Grass does more damage, but who doesn't want a lightsaber? Comes in 5 colors~

Thanks for these, this is really helpful. Me and my wife are totally hooked on the game, but I was getting kind of lost on progression and I've been trying to use the wiki but it seems like one of those things that only completely makes sense once you've already done it. What wasn't helping was friends (including my wife) dropping into my game and trying to give me crazy shit, I'm trying to make sure I understand how the game works first :p. Like last night I was finally about to get the last gold ore I needed for my final piece of gold armor, and my wife drops in and gives me
Necro
armor which is one or two leaps ahead, because I had no idea how to do anything about the corruption. She showed me how to buy the powder to deal with it so I could get to the orbs, summon the thing and kill it for scales (which we did last night) and I got 6, but I only have like 2-3 demonite bars (we crafted some weapons with it previously).

So I'm guessing my best move here is to get more demonite/scales to get the new pickaxe and gear, then with that I can mine through the corruption blocks (ebonstone) then use that better armor to deal with that first boss guarding the dungeon? I've got friends that could destroy it, but I'd like to at least attempt going through a proper progression first :p. Also is the powder the best way to deal with being able to mine the corruption blocks until I have the Nightmare pickaxe? I have no idea if Ebonstone is even used for anything, if not am I better off just farming for the two ingredients needed to make the item to summon the EoW on my own to kill for ore/scales as opposed to going through corruption to get to orbs? Also at this point if I need Demonite am I better off using my eye items (I have 2-3) to summon that enemy to kill for it? Is there any other purpose to summoning the eye?

clockpunk

Hey chaps,

For some reason, I cannot get the option to craft gold armour to pop up - I have 90 bard of gold, but the opening the crafting interface over the iron anvil only goes so far as silver - is it a tierig thing, whereby the option will only come up one the previous material has been used...?

It is as I feared, though - far too many hours are being spent on the title! :p

Blu10

Hey chaps,

For some reason, I cannot get the option to craft gold armour to pop up - I have 90 bard of gold, but the opening the crafting interface over the iron anvil only goes so far as silver - is it a tierig thing, whereby the option will only come up one the previous material has been used...?

It is as I feared, though - far too many hours are being spent on the title! :p

I had the same problem when I went to craft the meteorite gun and I found toggling between show all, and show available fixed the problem.

clockpunk

I had the same problem when I went to craft the meteorite gun and I found toggling between show all, and show available fixed the problem.

Aha, cheers for that - shall try that as soon as I get back. Hopefully - if it is a wee bug - it can be squished soon enough.

theDeeDubs

Question about hardmode. Is that just a new status laid over your world? Or do you start over in a new world?

I guess I'm curious about whether I should do any kind of prepwork for hardmode before taking down
the Wall of Flesh

I was wondering the exact same thing. I finished up my Molten items and I guess this is the part I'm at too.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was thinking about starting over in Hardmode, but I'd be very upset if I lost everything I had. Half the time I die, its not from an enemy killing me, but from getting knocked into lava, and its not like Minecraft where most everything is as easily replaceable.

Anyways, finally got the grappling hook and its a game-changer. Love it. Took me a while to realize its automatically mapped to the left-trigger, too. Thats pretty nice.

And I found a blue mushroom area with a gold chest. Wasn't much there, but the chest had a gold coin, which is cool.

I'm getting pretty far down(medium size world) and the map says I'm close to the bottom, but I haven't come across any dungeons or bosses or anything like that. I've only mapped out a pretty narrow slice of the earth, though, so I should probably start to branch out sideways more.

Retro

I'm getting pretty far down(medium size world) and the map says I'm close to the bottom, but I haven't come across any dungeons or bosses or anything like that. I've only mapped out a pretty narrow slice of the earth, though, so I should probably start to branch out sideways more.

Dungeons are either to the far left or far right of the world; if you reach the ocean without spotting the entrance, it's in the other direction. You'll definitely recognize it when you see it, it's right at the surface and pretty formidable-looking.

Bosses all spawn at or close to the surface with one exception (which is in the Underworld). You won't find any of them by digging (well, one you'll activate while underground, but not very far).

Welp, beat all the Hardmode bosses, including the new console-exclusive one. I guess I've technically "beaten" the game. :D Of course there's still more to do (there always is with Terraria), but yeah, game beaten!

Ocram is kinda a lame new boss. He's just EoC with some new attacks and more health.

Wow, you beat it already? I haven't even beat any of the bosses yet. I'm still trying to get all gold armor. lol Maybe it because I'm playing it by myself, its slow going. lol

Seanspeed

Banned
Dungeons are either to the far left or far right of the world; if you reach the ocean without spotting the entrance, it's in the other direction. You'll definitely recognize it when you see it, it's right at the surface and pretty formidable-looking.

Bosses all spawn at or close to the surface with one exception (which is in the Underworld). You won't find any of them by digging (well, one you'll activate while underground, but not very far).
Ok, thanks. Haven't traveled close to the edges yet.

Screenshot feature would be great in this.

VandalD

So I'm guessing my best move here is to get more demonite/scales to get the new pickaxe and gear, then with that I can mine through the corruption blocks (ebonstone) then use that better armor to deal with that first boss guarding the dungeon? I've got friends that could destroy it, but I'd like to at least attempt going through a proper progression first :p. Also is the powder the best way to deal with being able to mine the corruption blocks until I have the Nightmare pickaxe? I have no idea if Ebonstone is even used for anything, if not am I better off just farming for the two ingredients needed to make the item to summon the EoW on my own to kill for ore/scales as opposed to going through corruption to get to orbs? Also at this point if I need Demonite am I better off using my eye items (I have 2-3) to summon that enemy to kill for it? Is there any other purpose to summoning the eye?
I don't remember if you can mine ebonstone with a gold pick or not. I know you can blow it up with dynamite, though that can be costly earlier on. Ebonstone isn't used for anything besides easily and automatically spreading the corruption, if you wanted to do such a thing. Yeah, if you still need Demonite, summon more eyes to kill, or
break the orbs at the bottom of corruption areas to summon the Eater of Worlds and kill that a few times.

the Wall of Flesh
Hardmode "happens" to each world individually in which you
beat the Wall of Flesh.
As you said, it's a status laid over your world.

New boss spoiler:
That's kind of disappointing. I don't have the console version, but I looked it up on the wiki just to see what it was, and it didn't sound too bad. Just looked at what you can make from the souls.. and wow. You have to make a new cobalt/mithril/adamantite item on top of your hallowed item to combine with about 20 souls. That's a lot more farming. Appropriate for the best of the best gear, I suppose.

balddemon

Banned
I don't remember if you can mine ebonstone with a gold pick or not.
nope, requires demonite to mine ebonstone, hellstone, obsidian and the dungeon bricks. molten pick to get the first tier of hardmode stuff.

I was thinking about starting over in Hardmode, but I'd be very upset if I lost everything I had. Half the time I die, its not from an enemy killing me, but from getting knocked into lava, and its not like Minecraft where most everything is as easily replaceable.

what do you mean by starting over? when you activate hardmode, you keep everything you have but the world just gets harder. tougher enemies, tougher bosses, different ores.

honestly I wouldn't activate hardmode until I had molten armor (if melee; one of the other 2 sets for ranged/magic), molten pickaxe, and a couple good weapons
minishark, night's edge, phase blade, thorn chakram, flamarang, sunfury, star cannon. just to name a few.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wow, you beat it already? I haven't even beat any of the bosses yet. I'm still trying to get all gold armor. lol Maybe it because I'm playing it by myself, its slow going. lol

Hey, I played by myself too, haha.

I'm actually a bit sad I beat it in just over a week. It really does kinda feel like there's nothing left for me to do, besides farm bosses to make more of the post-game stuff. I don't want to start a new character, but starting a new world with my current character seems like it'd be a waste too, since I'm so powerful at this point. Hrm.

EDIT: Shit, double post, sorry.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
^why not craft the new armors and fill out the wiki with their info?

Hmm, well, you have to farm
Ocram
for that, and summoning him takes:
A Skeletron Prime summoning item, two The Twins summoning items, and 20 bars of Adamantite. Also 10 Souls of Night, I think. So you have to do a shitload of farming of Souls just to fight him once.
It really is a bit excessive.

I mean, sure, it'd give me something to do, but farming
Souls of Night
down in the
Underground Corruption
is just so boooooooring. =/

balddemon

Banned
Ocram
A Skeletron Prime summoning item, two The Twins summoning items, and 20 bars of Adamantite. Also 10 Souls of Night, I think. So you have to do a shitload of farming of Souls just to fight him once.

Souls of Night
down in the
Underground Corruption

try summoning the eater of worlds in the underground corruption. at the point you are, it would take all of 30 seconds to kill him and he drops ~10 souls per kill. the rest of the stuff to summon o-ceezy...you're on your own haha.

VandalD

Ocram

Souls of Night
down in the
Underground Corruption
20 bars of adamantite for ONE summon on top of all that other stuff? Holy crap.
Well, this won't help the boring, but there is an easier way to farm for souls, unless this is different in the console version.
If you place enough ebonstone or pearlstone blocks down in hell, you will fight hell mobs, but you'll get light or dark souls from kills depending on if you're around enough ebonstone or pearlstone. I made a large flat area in hell with ebonstone on one side and pearlstone on the other, 3 bricks in height.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ventured farther out horizontally on the surface. WOW is the map big. I'm on a medium-sized map and it took about almost day going from my base to the end of one side.

Neverfade

Demonite+ in normal mode isn't mining my dungeon bricks. Bug, or change from PC?

Edit: Buddy of mine has the same problem.

redhot_

Anyone on PSN get the Miners Shirt to drop willing to trade or just let me equip it for this dumb trophy? Ill hook you up with some stuff if you need anything lol.. 2 nights of farming it is getting old.

MrDaravon

I'm confused reading the wiki; does the safe allow you to access items cross-world (aka if I have a safe in my world and a safe in my wife's world, I can access it's contents on both)? I know the piggy bank as well is character specific, but I don't think it carries across worlds (?). If not, what's the point of the safe versus the piggy bank then (since it's so expensive).

Retro

I'm confused reading the wiki; does the safe allow you to access items cross-world (aka if I have a safe in my world and a safe in my wife's world, I can access it's contents on both)? I know the piggy bank as well is character specific, but I don't think it carries across worlds (?). If not, what's the point of the safe versus the piggy bank then (since it's so expensive).

The safe and piggy bank are identical (except, of course, the price). What you put in one will always be there regardless of where you're at.

MrDaravon

The safe and piggy bank are identical (except, of course, the price). What you put in one will always be there regardless of where you're at.

So if I put a safe or piggy bank down in my friends world, I can access it's contents in my world?

Edit: Unrelated, but I'm at a Tinkerer's Workshop and have both the Rocket Boots and Hermes Boots, but not seeing the option to make Spectre boots anywhere. Trying the toggle available items on/off trick to see if it's bugged but still nothing. Can someone confirm if that's correct, or at least tell me what tab it should be under?

Edit 2: Oooh fun, just got my first single-player crash to dashboard; was hitting X in the crafting screen to toggle available items on/off to re-check for the Spectre boots and it crashed me to dashboard.

Retro

So if I put a safe or piggy bank down in my friends world, I can access it's contents in my world?

Yep, or just use theirs. Another neat trick is to buy two piggy banks and carry one with you. Just plop it down somewhere, fill it up, use the hammer to break it down, and keep going. Acts like an extra 20 slots.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So if anyone gets up to the new final boss
Ocram
and needs some help with him (his second form can get a little ridiculous due to
his demon scythes doing absolutely ridiculous damage and having homing properties
, here's how I beat him, with minimal loss of life (I used one potion the entire battle). A Megashark with Crystal Ammo is recommended here, though other ranged weapons with a high DPS could probably work. I don't think I'd recommend melee for this strategy though (or
Ocram
in general):

So to start, I just used my Eye of Cthulhu/Skeletron Prime arena:

|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|

The sides and bottom are wood blocks and the platforms are wood platforms. Just a really basic boss arena. The bottom is wood in my case because I made it over a slight dip in the terrain, but yours can be flat land on the bottom, it really doesn't matter. But anyway, this should be fine for the first half of the fight. Just treat him like Eye of Cthulhu. But for the second half, after he transforms, you'll need a bit of modification. Under the bottom platform, build something like this:

__________ _________
_____________________l

Where the opening is a two block wide opening, just big enough for a player to fall into, and the tunnel is three blocks tall, just tall enough for a player. When Ocram transforms and starts spitting out demon scythes in addition to the lasers and minions, just drop down here. The walls of the tunnel will almost completely negate the demon scythes, which are his only really damaging attack. Additionally, this will keep his minions in a relatively straight line, so you can just shoot right through them. Stay near the entrance to the tunnel and when Ocram flies right above you, just fire upwards at him until he moves. As long as you have a high DPS and started the fight right at nightfall, you should be able to finish him off long before daybreak.

MrDaravon

Yep, or just use theirs. Another neat trick is to buy two piggy banks and carry one with you. Just plop it down somewhere, fill it up, use the hammer to break it down, and keep going. Acts like an extra 20 slots.

Hmm, so I guess the only point of the safe is then to just give you two storages (that and the piggy bank) that are cross world?

Also is there any goddamn way to safely descend into the underworld? I can't find a way down there that doesn't involve me falling several screens, and then usually crazy shit is going on down there and I just get destroyed before I can clear everything out and get my bearings. I've explored about 3-4 fully zoomed out map screens right above the Underworld (the ash level) trying to find a safe descent and nada. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or what, I've got full health, a full set of the Shadow armor, etc and have already cleared the dungeon so I feel like I should be fine going down there now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hmm, so I guess the only point of the safe is then to just give you two storages (that and the piggy bank) that are cross world?

Also is there any goddamn way to safely descend into the underworld? I can't find a way down there that doesn't involve me falling several screens, and then usually crazy shit is going on down there and I just get destroyed before I can clear everything out and get my bearings. I've explored about 3-4 fully zoomed out map screens right above the Underworld (the ash level) trying to find a safe descent and nada. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or what, I've got full health, a full set of the Shadow armor, etc and have already cleared the dungeon so I feel like I should be fine going down there now.

Are you talking about taking fall damage when descending to the Underworld? If so, a Lucky Horseshoe or Obsidian Horseshoe will negate that. Or just double jump just before landing, if you have the Cloud in a Bottle. Rocket Boots are also a big help, especially for avoiding lava. There's always going to be a long drop before hitting the Underworld, though. Unless you build a makeshift staircase or something going down there. As far as dealing with the enemies down there...yeah, they can be tough at first. You'll just have to tough that out. Also, be sure to never kill a Voodoo Demon when he's flying over lava. You may accidentally end up summoning Wall of Flesh, and that's probably the last thing you want to do right now. :lol

Seanspeed

Banned

So all the contents stay in the piggy bank when you break it down? Why do you need to buy two? :/

Seanspeed

Banned
Every piggy bank links to the same storage (unlike chests) so you carry one with you (and hammer to pick it up) to access your mobile storage.
Ok, so even in single-player, I can just put one down in my house, fill it up, then take another with me and use those contents whenever I need to? Thats pretty cool.

balddemon

Banned
Ok, so even in single-player, I can just put one down in my house, fill it up, then take another with me and use those contents whenever I need to? Thats pretty cool.

that's what it sounds like, although I didn't know you could break it down with stuff in it. learn something new every day I guess!

Retro

So all the contents stay in the piggy bank when you break it down? Why do you need to buy two? :/

Well, one to leave in your home base so it's always accessible, one to take with you. I suppose you could just use one, but every time you wanted in it at home you'd have to plop it down.

At a certain point, money doesn't really matter that much. I used to carry a safe and a piggy bank with me, effectively giving me 70 slots of inventory space instead of 30 (not counting the hotbar, which is for vital equipment, weapons, etc.). Yeah, it's a pain to drop it every now and then, but it beats traveling around a lot, especially if you're way down there and haven't dug a hellevator yet.

Top Bottom