• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

Nerix

For the Europeans waiting for Terraria:
And for all those Terraria fans wondering where the EU PS3 version is, we’re truly gutted that the game couldn’t come out with the other versions. We’re in submission now and will release very soon. We only announced the other versions with three days notice J… so the second we have good news we will let you know.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...ox-adventure-terraria-coming-soon-to-ps-vita/

Posted 29th March:
Will it be out this week ? Or we must wait much longer? Its unfair for EU players!
Probably not this week, but I promise you we’re working as fast as we can! Sit tight!
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...oon-to-ps-vita/comment-page-1/#comment-366667

hgplayer1

Some of the minor problems Ive had with being kicked from a game were all in early stages of a large world where nobody had explored too far away or used any rare items.

Ive read about the problems with using a bed so Im holding off on using that until its fixed but I hope I dont see anything like what ColonelSkills experienced.

Sucks to hear that so many people are having problems with this. I haven't personally experienced any bugs, but that may be due to the fact that my friends are all dicks who won't buy the game so I've only played by myself so far.

Seanspeed

Banned
I remember when people hated on this game because they thought it was just a side scrolling Minecraft.

If I had to explain it to somebody in a sentence, thats how I'd describe it, too.

Anyways, I've played around for a couple hours. Had to look up how to build a house and place doors and everything as the tutorial wasn't super clear about it, but I would have definitely been at a complete loss without it, so it was still worth doing.

Controls seem ok to me. Being able to switch from directional --> mouse pointing-style is pretty simple and doesn't take very long to get used to, although it did cost me my life one time I was running away from zombies and then was panicking trying to open the door to my house and not pressing the right buttons.

As for the gameplay - its been interesting so far. I've traveled away from the house above ground a small distance and it seems like the enemies get more difficult, so I didn't get too far. Killing time at night I decided to finally start digging down. I've got a bunch of different materials and ores now, but am not quite sure what to do with them. I'm probably gonna do a bit of research on some of the basics of it. I haven't gotten that deep, but I did experience my first 'accidentally fall into a cavern' d'oh moment where I should have known better with all my Minecraft experience. So far, seems the best stuff I've found was some gold ore and a couple demonite ore that I have no idea what to do with.

My 'guide' dude died pretty quickly, so I hope that doesn't matter too much.

I didn't experience any crashes or bugs or problems like that. Framerate got a little hiccupy at times, but it wasn't anything that was a problem(for me, at least).

Enjoying it so far. I'll need to spend some more time tomorrow delving deeper into the ground and uncovering a bit more of the depth the game has to offer as I guess I'm pretty much literally and figuratively just scraping the surface right now.

Yeah don't worry about NPC's getting killed, they'll be back.

As for your next steps, I'd suggest working on getting a gold pick, armor, and exploring down before going left or right. While exploring underground look out for hearts, which can be smashed with a hammer to increase your HP.

Make sure you make use of wood platforms in your mine shaft for quick up/down, and be sure to check out the mini-map.

Oh and store your coins in a chest every time you go back to your base to drop off loot. Once the merchant moves in get that mining helmet, shits amazing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah don't worry about NPC's getting killed, they'll be back.

As for your next steps, I'd suggest working on getting a gold pick, armor, and exploring down before going left or right. While exploring underground look out for hearts, which can be smashed with a hammer to increase your HP.

Make sure you make use of wood platforms in your mine shaft for quick up/down, and be sure to check out the mini-map.

Oh and store your coins in a chest every time you go back to your base to drop off loot. Once the merchant moves in get that mining helmet, shits amazing.
That all sounds good, thanks.

Hmph. I think I've found a bug. Bought the tinkerer's workshop and it doesn't show anything to combine unless I hit the 'show available' button in the crafting menu. There isn't anyone from 505 on here is there? Maybe I'll hit up their twitter account.

im loving the game but unfortunately I am still unable to play online at all. I think that is probably my only issue. I love just discovering all the cool little additions to the game. Its just downright amazing. Hopefully I will be able to play with you guys online soon.

This is looking very very tempting.

On top of loving XBLA Minecraft, I've always thought the side-scrolling aim and shoot with mouse mechanic (or Wii IR) has been sorely underused in video games.

Plus it's all done in a Metroidvania style...

Alright, I'm sold...I'm getting it.

It's a sad day for consoles when I have to come on here and ask this; considering the graphics on this game but...

Does Terrari run at 1080p?

Neverfade

My biggest peeves:

1) menu load. Open it up, get attacked, close, have to wait a couple (sometimes very precious) seconds.

2) Hellevators in someone else's world usually end up killing me as I fall faster than the world can load. No water to catch me at the end = splat.

Question: are lucky horseshoes ONLY on floating islands?

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm having some weird problem with the coins I think. I'll kill something and it'll say Copper Coin(56) or something but then I look in my inventory and I've only got like 15 or whatever. PLUS, when I go to put the coins in the chest with the auto-deposit feature, it sometimes only puts in a small amount compared to what I have and its not like its keeping stuff in my inventory, that money is just gone. Not sure whats going on there.

Starting getting a bit deeper into things, though. Finally built an anvil, got myself a little protection, a gold pickaxe and a silver broadsword which I needed since I've dug deeper into an area with some tougher enemies. Seems like there's just tons of stuff to craft and digging around is pretty rewarding as there always seems to be something worth finding. I still dont know what half the stuff does or how I should use it, but I'm coming along.

balddemon

Banned
Are you sure its not auto converting the money to the next higher tier? If you count it, you should have the same total.

100 copper = 1 silver
100 silver = 1 gold
100 gold = 1 platinum

A good way to quickly store stuff in chests is with the auto-stack button. The way it works is it will automatically attempt to fill a stack of any item in the chest, from your inventory. So say you have a chest that has 1 gold 23 silver 34 copper. Everytime you open that chest and hit the auto-stack button it will attempt to make that 99 gold 99 silver 99 copper, with the added benefit of it turning 100 copper into 1 silver as need be.

So to make quick use of chests I lay mine out according to the area of the map I'm depositing from. As long as I have <99(or whatever the full stack is) of each item in the chest I can quickly open and auto-stack and move to the next chest.

Seanspeed

Banned
Are you sure its not auto converting the money to the next higher tier? If you count it, you should have the same total.

100 copper = 1 silver
100 silver = 1 gold
100 gold = 1 platinum

A good way to quickly store stuff in chests is with the auto-stack button. The way it works is it will automatically attempt to fill a stack of any item in the chest, from your inventory. So say you have a chest that has 1 gold 23 silver 34 copper. Everytime you open that chest and hit the auto-stack button it will attempt to make that 99 gold 99 silver 99 copper, with the added benefit of it turning 100 copper into 1 silver as need be.

So to make quick use of chests I lay mine out according to the area of the map I'm depositing from. As long as I have <99(or whatever the full stack is) of each item in the chest I can quickly open and auto-stack and move to the next chest.
Oh ok, I didn't realize it worked like that. I was thinking each coin was its own kind of independent currency or something.

Blu10

Has anyone made the space gun. I'm pretty sure I have all the ingredients but don't see the craft option.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Kind of, but not quite.. both are addictive, but for different reasons and to different personalities. Terraria is HUGE on exploration, with that "I'll just dig to the next open chamber / oops it's 4am already" thing going on, where you just can't help pushing further and further in the hopes of a new discovery.

WoW's draw is mostly "Fill bars to fill more bars to fill more bars" where the goal is just to jump through arbitrary hoops to get more content. There's rarely a surprise around the next bend, usually just another quest hub with more "Kill 10 rats" or "Collect 10 bear asses" quests like the hub you just came from.

Lol. The point is that I now understand being addicted to a game to the point where hours upon hours can just melt away by playing. I know the addictions are different, but I empathize better with them now. Lol.

redhot_

Has anyone been having issues getting trophies to pop? The one for getting all the armor won't ding for me... I have all that are crafted with ore including the new ones from Ocram.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So how do you unlock advanced stuff to build? Just by finding the materials? I'm brand new to this. Do you eventually get something to dig through purple blocks?

I did end up getting a house made and dug a bunch into a cave. What should I know about the game?

Seanspeed

Banned
So how do you unlock advanced stuff to build? Just by finding the materials? I'm brand new to this. Do you eventually get something to dig through purple blocks?

I did end up getting a house made and dug a bunch into a cave. What should I know about the game?
I'm a first-timer, too, but:

- Collect most everything you can in the beginning since you dont know whats useful and what isn't yet. If you fill up your inventory, make chests to store your extra stuff. A chest is made by using 8 pieces of wood and 2 iron bars. Iron bars are made by smelting 3 iron ore. You can smelt items in a furnace, which is made with 20 stone block, 3 torches and 4 wood at a crafting table. So all-in-all, each chest will cost 6 iron ore and 8 wood. You will need these since there's lots of stuff to collect.

- As you craft or find new items, new recipes will become available so check back at your crafting areas often to see if there's anything new you can do with the stuff you've gotten/made. Sometimes its worth just crafting something new even if you dont know what it does since that might unlock something else in the process.

balddemon

Banned

yea just need materials and the proper crafting station.

you need a gold pickaxe at minimum to mine demonite

as for what you need to know...you'll figure most out by playing the game. you can show materials to the guide and he'll tell you what they make.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
yea just need materials and the proper crafting station.

you need a gold pickaxe at minimum to mine demonite

as for what you need to know...you'll figure most out by playing the game. you can show materials to the guide and he'll tell you what they make.

Thanks. By guide you mean the guy who always falls in the lake? :p

Blu10

I'm a first-timer, too, but:

- Collect most everything you can in the beginning since you dont know whats useful and what isn't yet. If you fill up your inventory, make chests to store your extra stuff. A chest is made by using 8 pieces of wood and 2 iron bars. Iron bars are made by smelting 3 iron ore. You can smelt items in a furnace, which is made with 20 stone block, 3 torches and 4 wood at a crafting table. So all-in-all, each chest will cost 6 iron ore and 8 wood. You will need these since there's lots of stuff to collect.

As a heads up. One you empty out a found gold or wood chest underground you can pick it up my wacking it a few times with the hammer, and place it back at your house saving you the iron and wood.

balddemon

Banned
Thanks. By guide you mean the guy who always falls in the lake? :p
The one and only ;)

Just got the demo downloaded. I may have to buy this. I could easily spend the whole day playing from the comfort of my couch. Plus trophies and no incentive to use inventory/world editors...yet.

anddo0

WTF? Three hard freezes in the last hour.

edit: why does the game freeze after beating a boss in another players world?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Oh shit, that's how that works? I thought it just efficiently stacked whatever was in there, which seemed kinda silly. Well, that'll save me some time in the future.

I've worked my up to
beating Skeleltron and exploring the dungeon, although it seems what I really need to do is get down to mining hellstone. All my equipment upgrades really need that. I've reached the Underworld and fell down into some giant magma pit. Gotta get myself safely into there.

balddemon

Banned
Oh shit, that's how that works? I thought it just efficiently stacked whatever was in there, which seemed kinda silly. Well, that'll save me some time in the future.

I've worked my up to
beating Skeleltron and exploring the dungeon, although it seems what I really need to do is get down to mining hellstone. All my equipment upgrades really need that. I've reached the Underworld and fell down into some giant magma pit. Gotta get myself safely into there.

mining
hellstone
sucks ass til you get the hang of it. have fun.

Deacon

Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread but I want to make Silver tools yet I don't have the recipes available to me.

What am I missing?

daydream

Banned
Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the thread but I want to make Silver tools yet I don't have the recipes available to me.

What am I missing?

If you already have silver in your inventory, it should pop up. Go to the tool and scroll to the right. Don't forget to smelt silver ore. Btw you can toggle between recipes you can craft (because you have the required resources) and all the recipes by pressing X.

Deacon

SirFisher said:
If you already have silver in your inventory, it should pop up. Go to the tool and scroll to the right. Don't forget to smelt silver ore. Btw you can toggle between recipes you can craft (because you have the required resources) and all the recipes by pressing X

I had both ore and bars in inventory but it never showed up as available. The only silver recipe was the chandelier. I just got back from a mining excursion where I found my first gold vein and now I have both silver/gold recipes available so not sure what was happening at first.

balddemon

Banned
I had both ore and bars in inventory but it never showed up as available. The only silver recipe was the chandelier. I just got back from a mining excursion where I found my first gold vein and now I have both silver/gold recipes available so not sure what was happening at first.

you probably didn't have enough silver bars to make the armor.

I've worked my up to

I'm at the same point.. though it took me til 5 am last night to finally get enough
gold keys to open all of the chests in the dungeon
. God damn there was some sweet loot in there though. Then I said well I'll just test some of this stuff down in the Underworld.. and I didn't go to bed til 6:45 am. I just got off work and I'm trying not to play tonight, lest I be a zombie again tomorrow.

Ok, I have all gold tools and weapons now. I almost have full gold armor just need a few more parts yet. What should be my next move after getting gold everything?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Game is good enough on PS3 but damn if it couldn't use a resolution bump. I was taken back by how zoomed in the screen is compared to PC. I know this is old HW but I didn't think Terraria was that HW intensive.

Funny thing is that my friend who is playing with me on PS3 has the PC version and we never played it together as much as we're doing on PS3. I guess the pad convenience helps lol ><

theDeeDubs

If anyone is having issues with recipes not showing up when crafting. There's an option to show only available (think it's Square on PS3). For some reason demonite recipes will only show up that way for me.

Progress comes in big chunks in this game. I spent forever in gold armor and then finished all the jungle/demonite/meteorite/dungeon items relatively quick in a few play sessions. Spent most of last night working on an Obsidian generator and Hellevator and grabbing some Molten items. I'm having a blast. I made the mistake on PC by jumping on a server and getting some end game items and full hearts/stars. It's been way more rewarding getting it all myself this time around.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The other day, me, my wife, and my nephew took on
Skeletron
, and rocked it. I think it took less than 2 minutes to do. That was awesome. Yesterday, me and my wife started exploring the dungeon fully, and found some cool stuff.

I also finally found my island in the sky (hope that's not considered a spoiler), but we couldn't open up the chest up there.

I currently have some awesome mobility items which is making traversal much more fun. I still need to get the item that lets me breathe under water. I forgot what it's called. I'm actually enjoying this version much more than the PC version, honestly. I prefer controlling my character with the analog stick, and I've adapted really well to the cursor mining and building. We've only had one dropped game where my nephew was disconnected, but other than that, online has been much better than on my PC as well. At the least, it's easier to just set up a game and get into it with another player.

We're trying to get together with my co-worker, so the four of us can adventure together one day.

EDIT: That's weird. I think it looks great on the PS3. Yeah, it's not the same resolution as my computer monitor, but it looks really good. I am playing on a 40" screen though. It's a Samsung 720p/1080i set. The game looks sharp and good for me. The only issue I have is when I'm playing splitscreen with my wife, the text can be a little hard to read in the crafting windows, mainly amount numbers. When playing full screen, I don't think it looks zoomed in at all. Strange.

VandalD

Ok, I have all gold tools and weapons now. I almost have full gold armor just need a few more parts yet. What should be my next move after getting gold everything?
General progression steps in the game, at least on PC, appear to be designed as follows:

1. Copper tools
2. Silver tools
3. Gold tools
Visit the corruption and fight Eye of Cthulhu and/or Eater of Worlds for Demonite tools.
5. Optional:
Mine fallen meteorites for potentially useful stuff.
6. Optional:
Visit the underground jungle for potentially useful stuff.
Kill the dungeon guardian at night and loot the dungeon
Dig to hell and use Hellstone + Obsidian to make tools.
Kill the Wall of Flesh to get into hard mode.
Break demon altars in the corruption with the Pwnhammer to release new ores into the world.
Cobalt Tools, farm certain enemies for drops to make powerful weapons and spells.
Mithril Tools, killing enemies for drops in the process.
Adamantite Tools, still killing enemies for drops in the process.
Kill more enemies for their drops to make powerful weapons and spells.
Kill each hardmode boss and make Hallowed armor and other more powerful things. Bring potions. Expect to die!
Console specific stuff, or just do whatever the hell you want. You "win!"

I think I remembered everything. Hope that helps.

General progression steps in the game, at least on PC, appear to be designed as follows:

1. Copper tools
2. Silver tools
3. Gold tools
Visit the corruption and fight Eye of Cthulhu and/or Eater of Worlds for Demonite tools.
5. Optional:
Mine fallen meteorites for potentially useful stuff.
6. Optional:
Visit the underground jungle for potentially useful stuff.
Kill the dungeon guardian at night and loot the dungeon
Dig to hell and use Hellstone + Obsidian to make tools.
Kill the Wall of Flesh to get into hard mode.
Break demon altars in the corruption with the Pwnhammer to release new ores into the world.
Cobalt Tools, farm certain enemies for drops to make powerful weapons and spells.
Mithril Tools, killing enemies for drops in the process.
Adamantite Tools, still killing enemies for drops in the process.
Kill more enemies for their drops to make powerful weapons and spells.
Kill each hardmode boss and make Hallowed armor and other more powerful things. Bring potions. Expect to die!
Console specific stuff, or just do whatever the hell you want. You "win!"

I think I remembered everything. Hope that helps.

Ok, thank you for the info!

I'll add a few items I'd recommend looking into crafting:

From the
Eater of Worlds(drops demonite/shadow scales)
-
Nightmare Pickaxe - allows you to mine ebonstone, letting you get to all kind of neat things in the corruption
-
Shadow Armor - makes you move faster and look like a baller while doing so

From the
Underground Jungle(look for jungle spores/stingers/vines)
-
Ivy Whip - allows you to grapple with 3 independent grapples, kinda like Doctor Octopus from Spiderman. It's fkn awesome and makes exploring and mining easy peasy. Also longer than the OGrapple
-
Thorn Chakram - like a boomerang but super bouncy and hurtful
-
Blade of Grass - good damage with a pretty good reach, not a bad sword to use

From the
Meteorite
-
Hamaxe - combines the hammer and axe into one badass weapon, very useful
-
Phaseblade - I think the Blade of Grass does more damage, but who doesn't want a lightsaber? Comes in 5 colors~

Seanspeed

Banned
I built a Silver Broadsword and in my inventory it says its a Slow Silver Broadsword with +14% speed. Whats that about?

Oh yea, and I found a Magic Mirror, which says I can use it to teleport back to my spawn point. Sounds great, but can I re-use it or do I have to put it down at one spot and have that be my warp point back?

I built a Silver Broadsword and in my inventory it says its a Slow Silver Broadsword with +14% speed. Whats that about?

Oh yea, and I found a Magic Mirror, which says I can use it to teleport back to my spawn point. Sounds great, but can I re-use it or do I have to put it down at one spot and have that be my warp point back?

The mirror is unlimited use. Can't remember if it uses mana, tho.

Audioboxer

I know you can use the mirror as much as you want. Your spawn point is set by building a bed.

balddemon

Banned

slow is an attribute. there are a lot of attributes that you can get by reforging, which comes with a certain npc that you get in the mid game. there are 3 ultimate attributes for weapons: one for ranged, one for melee, and one for magic. the wiki has more info if you're interested.

the mirror uses 20 mana. it will teleport you back to your spawn point, aka where you start when you load your world up. either the original spawn point (middle of world) or your bed if you made one.

Top Bottom