• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria (PS3/360) |OT| Who needs a mouse anyway?

Blu10

Put I don't know how many hours into the PC version, and steam gifted it to 3 of my friends I knew would never play it otherwise. I was pleasantly surprised to see it show up on live yesterday and immediately double dipped.

After taking a break from bioshock I popped in and and did the tutorial no problem, but when I started my own map I saw significant slowdown. To the point that it was unplayable.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If I start a new world under the same character, does loot carry over? Or does the only thing the different worlds share is your character design?

Retro

If I start a new world under the same character, does loot carry over? Or does the only thing the different worlds share is your character design?

The only things that carry over are your character, equipment and inventory, and any items you have in the Piggy Bank or Safe. Everything else will be entirely new.

bunbun777

This game is sinking it's claws into me. Through trial and mostly error I started up about 5 worlds only to finally settle on the sixth one. Figured out how to stack housing and now I have 5 npc's and things are fairly organized. The quick stack option for chests works great once you know where everything already goes.

Love the exploration. Caves, chests, enemies, falling down a chasm. I am a sucker for 2d and everything looks charming. Trying to not read a wiki or anything and just figuring out what is going on, though I have looked up a couple things like what corruption is and how it spreads.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The only things that carry over are your character, equipment and inventory, and any items you have in the Piggy Bank or Safe. Everything else will be entirely new.

Thanks, I could work with that if I choose to 'restart'. I'm tempted to move to a smaller world (I started with the largest and it might be too intimidating) and do some other things smarter in the beginning.

redhot_

Well just came across a game breaking bug.

I set my spawn point to my bed, now my world wont load and locks up my ps3 every time.

Anyone having connection issues in PSN?
My friend and I can't join each others game.

I dont know. There arent any games showing up in my list. Unless you cant join random peoples games?

Edit: They are working on a patch:

@505_Games any news on the multiplayer problems?
@Damos1212craft Found the problem, working on a fix for the next patch.

About the trophies not syncing:

@505_Games Is there something wrong with the PlayStation version? The trophy doesn't seem to be syncing and the tutorial seems to be glitchy.

@ItsPirrip Should be fixed now. May take a few minutes to refresh.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well just came across a game breaking bug.

I set my spawn point to my bed, now my world wont load and locks up my ps3 every time.

This happened to me too. I fixed it by deleting Terraria, redownloading it, then NOT installing the 1.01 patch when it first boots up (press O at the update prompt). That allowed my game to load fine. After that I moved my bed, set a new spawn point, then saved and exited and restarted the game, this time installing the 1.01 patch. Been fine since.

But yeah, there seems to be a huge problem with bed-created spawn points.

redhot_

This happened to me too. I fixed it by deleting Terraria, redownloading it, then NOT installing the 1.01 patch when it first boots up (press O at the update prompt). That allowed my game to load fine. After that I moved my bed, set a new spawn point, then saved and exited and restarted the game, this time installing the 1.01 patch. Been fine since.

But yeah, there seems to be a huge problem with bed-created spawn points.

I tried that as well but it didn't work, there was another fix where you go into a small world, exit then back into your original that worked... But is a pain. I am also randomly getting sent to my XMB when in a friends game.

Terraria posted a link on their facebook where to submit bugs.

Terraria

Huge thanks to all feedback and support that's coming in - we really appreciate it. We're focussed on working through the bugs being reported and we'll keep you posted with news on patches. We have created a form to submit bugs to - this will help us look into the issues fully. So, please submit the bugs you encounter here. Thanks!

Source: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Terraria

Submit Bugs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TerrariaBugs

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm having a blast just exploring. lol
KuGsj.gif

Retro

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm having a blast just exploring. lol
KuGsj.gif

Oh yeah, once you get past the "Holy shit, what do I do, why are there zombies attacking me?!" survivalist phase, and set yourself to a task, the game just opens up. You find yourself getting into a sort of 'zen digging' mode (I can only imagine how much easier it would be with the game auto-aiming), tunneling into pockets of open cavern to see what lies in wait...

... then you notice it's time to go to work and you haven't slept yet.

atomsk

Party Pooper
played the demo for a bit on 360, and while I didn't have much of a problem adjusting to the controls... I'm so used to playing on PC at 1920x1200 that it just felt very cramped

DeadNames

Banned
Should I pick this up on 360? I LOVED the PC one and was wondering if I should get it on my Xbox so I can play with my buddies.

Oh yeah, once you get past the "Holy shit, what do I do, why are there zombies attacking me?!" survivalist phase, and set yourself to a task, the game just opens up. You find yourself getting into a sort of 'zen digging' mode (I can only imagine how much easier it would be with the game auto-aiming), tunneling into pockets of open cavern to see what lies in wait...

That happened to me already. I was just digging and digging. lol What are the basics that I should do? I already made a house, other than that I've just been exploring. lol

Should I pick this up on 360? I LOVED the PC one and was wondering if I should get it on my Xbox so I can play with my buddies.

Buy it, its super fun.

Twinduct

And then you load up the game on your Vita and find small gaps through out the day to play .... then you notice its time to go home you haven't worked yet :S

Retro

That happened to me already. I was just digging and digging. lol What are the basics that I should do? I already made a house, other than that I've just been exploring. lol

Look for metal, to craft new tools, weapons and armor. Keep an eye out for treasure chests (good loot early on), vases (usually money/ammo) and Hearts (which you'll need a hammer to break).

Also, consider building more houses or adding onto the existing structure, as you'll have certain new NPCs show up once you hit certain requirements (a set amount of money brings the Merchant, health brings the nurse, etc.).

If you're getting killed to easily, you may have dug too deeply and need to return to a higher depth until you're in better gear.

Not spoiling anything else, finding things out yourself is half the fun. I will say that there are things at the surface that will give you visual cues as to what's below.

I've put about 20 hours into it s far. Not even close to understanding it all. Been trying to find away to make better armor and take out the first boss

balddemon

Banned
I've put about 20 hours into it s far. Not even close to understanding it all. Been trying to find away to make better armor and take out the first boss

from what I've read/heard/seen, gold is pretty easy to find. go find gold ore and make a gold bow and gold set of armor. check the wiki for how much gold ore you'll need. make some arrows. beat the eye of cthulu.

alternatively, attract your merchant. buy hella shurikens. build something like this:

|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|
|________________|

where the ___ are wood platforms and the | are wood blocks. fight the eye in a zigzag pattern, naked. you win.

balddemon

Banned
I have a merchant. I just been trying to kill big skeleton who has imprisoned the old man

o lol that's not the first boss.
kill the eye of cthulu and the snake using the structure I proposed, get demonite stuff, some good ranged weapons, and then fight skeletron.

Look for metal, to craft new tools, weapons and armor. Keep an eye out for treasure chests (good loot early on), vases (usually money/ammo) and Hearts (which you'll need a hammer to break).

Also, consider building more houses or adding onto the existing structure, as you'll have certain new NPCs show up once you hit certain requirements (a set amount of money brings the Merchant, health brings the nurse, etc.).

If you're getting killed to easily, you may have dug too deeply and need to return to a higher depth until you're in better gear.

Not spoiling anything else, finding things out yourself is half the fun. I will say that there are things at the surface that will give you visual cues as to what's below.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the tips. I've started making better gear and tools. And I made a few more houses. So far three people have moved into them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I have a merchant. I just been trying to kill big skeleton who has imprisoned the old man

Duuuuuude, no. Skeletron is like the third boss. You shouldn't even be thinking of fighting him yet without at least Shadow armor, which you can only get after beating, at the very least, the first boss (Eye of Cthulhu).

How do you suggest building houses for multiple npcs? Also how do you summon the eye. I have the spawn item but when I try to use it nothing happens

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How do you suggest building houses for multiple npcs? Also how do you summon the eye. I have the spawn item but when I try to use it nothing happens

You have to use it at night. Use it as early in the night as possible, since EoC will fly away at sunrise if you haven't killed him by then.

As far as the houses for NPCs go, I just built a long line of connected "apartments" for them, but you can really do it any way you want. As long as the houses are at least 10 x 6, I believe.

balddemon

Banned

here's what I have on pc:

I'm never gonna do more than this. although I think I'm still missing an NPC soooo I'll have to add on eventually. check out Retro's world for more advanced stuff :p
the thing at the bottom goes to hell and my mushroom garden. with this setup, the npcs can't get out and can't die unless you fight those things that go through walls.

Du2andal

Banned
Quick question for you Terraria Pros. I am just starting out and and have crappy gear but I am sitting on a bunch of Silver Bars (75 or so). Should I burn them to craft a set of silver armor or is that generally considered a waste? Should I hold out and try and find some better loot by exploring?

balddemon

Banned
Quick question for you Terraria Pros. I am just starting out and and have crappy gear but I am sitting on a bunch of Silver Bars (75 or so). Should I burn them to craft a set of silver armor or is that generally considered a waste? Should I hold out and try and find some better loot by exploring?

there is really nothing else you can use silver bars for, so might as well. if you want to sell them, next time save your ore because they sell for more I believe.

here's a list of what you can make with silver bars:

Silver Pickaxe
Silver Axe
Silver Hammer
Silver Broadsword
Silver Shortsword
Silver Bow
Silver Armor
Silver Watch
Silver Chandelier
Depth Meter

What?? I can have it for 2.5€ on Steam.

Console premium:p Spend 300 euros less on the hardware but 2000 more on the games and services.
Anyhow this was a fun game last time I played it, I stopped when they made everything so dark you had to spam torches again, chores and tedium is not my idea of good gaming.

Audioboxer

Is it best to just do small maps when playing alone? The explorer in me thinks go medium, but at the same time I do not want it too tedious to find things.

Grinchy

Banned
Audίoboxer;52078047 said:
Is it best to just do small maps when playing alone? The explorer in me thinks go medium, but at the same time I do not want it too tedious to find things.

I made a medium world once, and it was too big for me. Even a small world takes a ton of time when you start fresh.

I actually just started a new world and character in this game a couple days ago. Just making a path to Hell and starting a deep underground base took me 6 hours.

Philia

My husband and I double dipped! I'm super happy that this game made it to xbla mainly for the easier time with the controls. :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How can I spawn at one of my other houses? Right now when I die I spawn at the very first house I made.

Craft a bed and place it in one of your other houses, then "Use" it to change your spawn point.

A word of caution though: I can't say this for sure, but I suspect that the freezing issues that I and several others have been having are related to using bed-created spawn points. Again, this is just a suspicion, but be careful.

Craft a bed and place it in one of your other houses, then "Use" it to change your spawn point.

A word of caution though: I can't say this for sure, but I suspect that the freezing issues that I and several others have been having are related to using bed-created spawn points. Again, this is just a suspicion, but be careful.

Ok, thank you. I am aware of that bug, I saw the other posts here about it. What do I need to make a bed? I have a furnace, workbench, anvil, sawmill, loom and keg. I can make a dresser but, I dont see an option to make a bed yet.

There are bosses, I was not aware of that. Just assumed it was a 2d minecraft clone. I think I'll have to give the demo another go.

Yeah theres quire abit of boss enemies. I was able to kill the eye of Cthulhu. I assume he is farmable if so he makes it much easier to get demonite ore

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've come around on this a little. It's not as bad once you right click and get full control ala a mouse. It's still a little clunky compared to PC controls but it works alright.

Retro

I've come around on this a little. It's not as bad once you right click and get full control ala a mouse. It's still a little clunky compared to PC controls but it works alright.

I can see some things (combat, grappling) being easier on a console. Platforming as well, maybe. But building with a controller sounds so much worse, and since building is the main draw for me in Terraria, it's really the only thing keeping me from playing (well, that and I'd have to go buy Microsoft points).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can see some things (combat, grappling) being easier on a console. Platforming as well, maybe. But building with a controller sounds so much worse, and since building is the main draw for me in Terraria, it's really the only thing keeping me from playing (well, that and I'd have to go buy Microsoft points).

Well, there is a demo on XBLA (which goes without saying, since that's a requirement for XBLA, haha). You could always try that and see how it works for yourself.

Top Bottom