• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

https://electrek.co/2016/10/19/tesla-fully-autonomous-self-driving-car/?pushup=1

Self-driving vehicles will play a crucial role in improving transportation safety and accelerating the world’s transition to a sustainable future. Full autonomy will enable a Tesla to be substantially safer than a human driver, lower the financial cost of transportation for those who own a car and provide low-cost on-demand mobility for those who do not.

We are excited to announce that, as of today, all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory – including Model 3 – will have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. Eight surround cameras provide 360 degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength, capable of seeing through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with more than 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses.

Model S and Model X vehicles with this new hardware are already in production, and customers can purchase one today: https://www.tesla.com/autopilot[1]

Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over-the-air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time.
Yes.

But does this mean it won't be a software purchase?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Self driving is far bolder than autopilot, imo.

Doodis

While the self driving thing is interesting. Where the hell is the stream? LOL Garbage.

There's no stream. It's a press release announcement with a conference call going on right now where they're answering questions with press. We'll see the results of that call when it's over (assuming another 30 minutes or so).

And where is the Model 3 news?
And, yeah, I gotta say I have no idea how Elon thinks this is Model 3 part 2 without showing the car at all.

Wow they are going straight for full Level 5 autonomy. Nobody else is even close to this.

This means that no human input is necessary for these vehicles.

subrock

This is insane. I knew it was coming but "all cars starting now being lvl 5 capable is so fucking awesome

Wow they are going straight for full Level 5 autonomy. Nobody else is even close to this.

This means that no human input is necessary for these vehicles.

lvl 5 means it could literally not even have controls

GTI Guy

There's no stream. It's a press release announcement with a conference call going on right now where they're answering questions with press. We'll see the results of that call when it's over (assuming another 30 minutes or so).

Well that sucks. What's the dial in number?

giga

Here are the SAE levels.

Level 0: Automated system has no vehicle control, but may issue warnings.
Level 1: Driver must be ready to take control at any time. Automated system may include features such as Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Parking Assistance with automated steering, and Lane Keeping Assistance (LKA) Type II in any combination.
Level 2: The driver is obliged to detect objects and events and respond if the automated system fails to respond properly. The automated system executes accelerating, braking, and steering. The automated system can deactivate immediately upon takeover by the driver.
Level 3: Within known, limited environments (such as freeways), the driver can safely turn their attention away from driving tasks.
Level 4: The automated system can control the vehicle in all but a few environments such as severe weather. The driver must enable the automated system only when it is safe to do so. When enabled, driver attention is not required.
Level 5: Other than setting the destination and starting the system, no human intervention is required. The automatic system can drive to any location where it is legal to drive.

gamma

While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control.

hmm

Appleman

Wonder what the timeline is for actually enabling this, undoubtedly years, but I'm not sure how convinced I am that this will ultimately work as advertised

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LOTS more info on the order page.

NkLFTL3.png

M3CZlK5.png

KeRaSh

Woke up this morning and immediately checked the news.
- Announcement will be Model 3 part 2 --> "Oh my god, it's happening!"
- Announcement was exclusively about Autopilot 2.0. --> :/

Don't get me wrong. This is huge and I'm very glad I will have the full hardware for it installed in my Model 3 on day one. My fear was that the would only start adding AP 2.0 hardware via a Model 3 refresh sometime after the launch.
The price is a little steep and I hope it will be a little lower once the Model 3 is ready to configure. Musk said that Model S and X buyers are financing the Model 3 which could mean that they ask for a premium price there and are then able to offer similar features to Model 3 owners at a slight discount.
Initially I was sure to add AP to my configuration on day one but now I'll either just go for the middle tier or spend the money on a bigger battery and think about AP later.

I still hoped that we would see the final Model 3 interior during the part 2 reveal...

HyperionX

I'm gonna have a hunch and say that this will quickly end up being a very non-optional option and that nearly every Model 3 will have it by default. Basically, the Model 3 is a $43k car and up.

robochimp

sfedai0

Banned
Welp, that price to upgrade to full auto is cost prohibitive. Unfortunately, Tesla will market it as a huge selling point and people will get sticker shock as a result.

robochimp

Welp, that price to upgrade to full auto is cost prohibitive. Unfortunately, Tesla will market it as a huge selling point and people will get sticker shock as a result.

From which perspective is it cost prohibitive? The person buying a Tesla or preordering a Tesla 3 are not your average car consumer.

I don't think any self driving car in the next ten years will cost less that 40k.

Nipo

People expect self driving cars to be under $40k within the next decade? People are smarter than that.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter

It will also enable you to have the car drive people around while you're at work and get paid for it. Hence the "Tesla Network" reference on the order screen. Kind of a huge announcement they snuck in there.

Xirj

It will also enable you to have the car drive people around while you're at work and get paid for it. Hence the "Tesla Network" reference on the order screen. Kind of a huge announcement they snuck in there.

To me this was the most surprising statement. It's an obvious application of their technology but I wasn't expecting them to focus so soon. Business and investors will eat this up!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't understand why people are not flipping out. This news is unprecedented. It is real auto driving. I am having a hard time believing it. It'll probably only work on certain roads for now. It's insane.

mf.luder

I don't understand why people are flipping out. This news is unprecedented. It is real auto driving. I am having a hard time believing it. It'll probably only work on certain roads for now. It's insane.

Did it seem sped up? Some of the acceleration seemed a little quick. Especially one of the first merges.

Crispy75

I look forward to a demonstration video from somewhere that isn't sunny California where the traffic is light, there are no pedestrians, the roads are wide and they all meet at right angles :D

I look forward to a demonstration video from somewhere that isn't sunny California where the traffic is light, there are no pedestrians, the roads are wide and they all meet at right angles :D

I think it's going to be restricted from areas that have bad weather or very difficult driving. They'll start where it's easy and then move to harder areas I think. Crazy that it's at this stage in a commercial vehicle in 2016.

bachikarn

Would most people want to do this? It sounds good in theory until some asshole takes a shit in your glovebox

gwarm01

Would most people want to do this? It sounds good in theory until some asshole takes a shit in your glovebox

I wouldn't want people in my personal car without me being there, but I can see people doing it just enough to make their monthly payment. Hell, people may buy several of these just to use for this.

I wouldn't want people in my personal car without me being there, but I can see people doing it just enough to make their monthly payment. Hell, people may buy several of these just to use for this.

Honestly at some point why even own your own car, just hail one of those self driving UberTeslas.
I can easily see a future where you just pay 200$ a month for unlimited or set amount of rides.

Jisgsaw

Tesla just posted a video of it in motion. It looks pretty cool, especially the self parking bit at the end.

https://www.tesla.com/videos/full-self-driving-hardware-all-teslas

Well, that is quite impressive. Especially how they handle stops and highway exits.

Did it seem sped up? Some of the acceleration seemed a little quick. Especially one of the first merges.

I certainly hope it's sped up, else the drive would have been quite uncomfortable

I think it's going to be restricted from areas that have bad weather or very difficult driving. They'll start where it's easy and then move to harder areas I think. Crazy that it's at this stage in a commercial vehicle in 2016.

While it is very impressive, what they've shown is not in a commercial vehicle.
Even their statement just says the vehicles will have the hardware from now on, not if the SW will be activate (which right now it won't, as it would be illegal)
And although it's very impressive, there's lots of situation I'd like to see the system in before I trust it, especially dense traffic.

Also interesting they don't have any lidar, and no radar (or lidar) looking to the back...

Doodis

It's sped up. Look at the movements of the person's hands and you'll be able to tell.

The car does a few things that aren't 100% safe (pulling out of the first driveway without stopping, pulling into the oncoming lane before the drop-off at the end), but remember, this is without the millions of miles of data it will be collecting and probably another year of improvement before it goes live. It's still pretty damn amazing where we're at now.

Barzul

Holy shit I've resolved to myself that my next vehicle will be the Model 3. Probably won't be ready to buy the first batch but at some point next year or in 2017....I'll probably pull the trigger.

TarNaru33

Banned
It's sped up. Look at the movements of the person's hands and you'll be able to tell.

The car does a few things that aren't 100% safe (pulling out of the first driveway without stopping, pulling into the oncoming lane before the drop-off at the end), but remember, this is without the millions of miles of data it will be collecting and probably another year of improvement before it goes live. It's still pretty damn amazing where we're at now.

This right here isn't true, we are talking about an autonomous vehicle, with more awareness than a human person can possibly have. Humans only have to stop to check both ways due to the fact humans can't see both areas at the same time and calculate the distance of oncoming pedestrians/vehicles.

I stop to say it was 100% safe, but I would argue that it being this aware of it's surroundings make things like traffic lights and stop signs near useless. The only reason we will still have such signs and lights is for the human drivers on the road with the autonomous vehicles.

At some point when U.S goes full autonomous, I would expect traffic lights, stop signs, and other such signs to be of no use as the cars will probably communicate with one another to determine who should go first. Of course, I am talking several decades worth of time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom