• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamma

sshhhh... shhhh.. it's okay... VW, GM and Ford will eventually catch up. Shhhhhhhh, just go to bed, cry a few tears and wake up the next day with nice new ideas :).

Off center speedometers have been existing for a long time, like in the Mini or in Citroëns and they work fine.

Just... accept the future. It's okay.

You sure you're old enough to have a drivers license?

Draper

sshhhh... shhhh.. it's okay... VW, GM and Ford will eventually catch up. Shhhhhhhh, just go to bed, cry a few tears and wake up the next day with nice new ideas :).

Off center speedometers have been existing for a long time, like in the Mini or in Citroëns and they work fine.

Christ...this is embarrassing

TarNaru33

Banned

LOL, wtf man.

A screen is not a proper
A number on a screen is no substitute for a proper dial speedometer.

AWD, a proper speedometer, and (now) automatic emergency braking are three things that I insist on in any car I buy.

What? Dude, for the vast majority of people a speedometer is ONLY to tell speed, which is what that number on the screen is for. Stop being weird lol.

Anton668

I bought an Impreza sport with Eyesight 3.0 today for 25k to hold me for a few years. I wish Tesla well and hope to buy one someday; I don't think the initial 3 is the car for me.

This dash plus AWD plus emergency braking, adaptive cruise, etc.

3YUP5v8.jpg

hmmmm.. looking at that pic, I may have made your carpeting! lol

mcfrank

Features like changing cruise control speed should be at your fingertips without taking your hands off the wheel. I can tap up and down to change speed in 5mph increments, or hold up and down for finer increments, without even thinking about it let alone looking away from the road and taking a hand off the wheel, and with tactile feedback. A screen is not a proper replacement for all controls.

AWD, a proper speedometer, and (now) automatic emergency braking are three things that I insist on in any car I buy.

to-activate-autopilot-you-simply-pull-the-cruise-control-stalk-towards-you-twice-and-the-car-will-take-over-steering.jpg

Model S has an autopilot and cruise control stalk. I don't get why you are convinced all interaction on the model 3 will be through the screen.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Placement I'll accept is a subjective matter, but dial speedometers suck from an information density standpoint. It's bad UI. You only need to know how fast you are going now, you do not also need to see all the higher and higher / lower speeds you are not going right now.

Placement I'll accept is a subjective matter, but dial speedometers suck from an information density standpoint. It's bad UI. You only need to know how fast you are going now, you do not also need to see all the higher and higher / lower speeds you are not going right now.

A number doesn't visually show you how fast your speed and RPMs are changing and at what rate.

There's a reason even the newest airplane cockpits have dials for many of the readouts and always will. Some of these also include a digital readout but the dial remains and pilots insist on it.

Lots of cars in the 80s and 90s went back to dials from digital speedometers and tachometers for this every reason. Digital speed/tach existed way before color LCD screens in cars and flopped for good reason. Do not talk about digital speed/tach as a new tech.

Edit: Here's a really fun article depicting the terrible digital dashboards of the 1980s: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2013/08/flash-dance-digital-dashboards-of-1980s.html

ZIFUR4f.jpg

TarNaru33

Banned
A number doesn't visually show you how fast your speed and RPMs are changing and at what rate.

There's a reason even the newest airplane cockpits have dials for many of the readouts and always will. Some of these also include a digital readout but the dial remains and pilots insist on it.

Lots of cars in the 80s and 90s went back to dials from digital speedometers and tachometers for this every reason. Digital speed/tach existed way before color LCD screens in cars and flopped for good reason. Do not talk about digital speed/tach as a new tech.

Edit: Here's a really fun article depicting the terrible digital dashboards of the 1980s: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2013/08/flash-dance-digital-dashboards-of-1980s.html

ZIFUR4f.jpg

You are using old bad implementation of digital dashboards as a reason for digital not being "proper speedometers"?

Lol, okay, I guess no need to respond to you now.

EDIT: Just because something fell out of the market, does not mean that it was inferior to other choices btw (such as Plasma T.Vs for example). I would say that poor implementation of digital dashboards with a combination of people like you who fight future tech is mainly responsible for it. As I said before, majority of people only need to see the speed they are going with with fully digital dashes, it is possible to show everything you are asking for without it looking like the 1980s digital dashboards.

Its not. You can't do anything by muscle memory, you have to take your eyes off the road to do even the most mundane shit witch is equivalent of driving while texting since there is on haptic feedback. The iDrive systems and various dials and knobs of the world are there for a reason.

This is actually a real problem, but it's not really inherent with the tech.

You could have a "home screen" with the important stuff always at the same place, and with haptic feedback.

I'm not saying it's the best thing, I'm just saying it can be a great implementation.

Dehnus

Christ...this is embarrassing

I know it is, but I am just getting sick of Petrolfanboys doing the exact same thing on most cartopics and forums.

Electric is the future, and the other brands will eventually follow. There is no need to be salty about it, your brand will have a nice one for you soon as well. I for one am pretty indifferent about brands, and will as likely take a Mazda as I take a Toyota (Japanese car fan, that I must admit, although I like some VWs and Peugeots as well). So I do think the Tesla Model 3 is a fantastic looking and futuristic car when I say it.

What others think is their opinion, and all I can say is "ssh..." because soon your brand will also get a car like that. Infact GM already had one, until they kidnapped the very first one away from it's happy owners in the USA :(.... shows you what fossil fuel lobbies can do.

On that note: That is why I'm acting immature about it, as I have to wade through post after post of Jeremy Clarcksson like hatred towards Electric cars and technology on most forums. But I'll embrace Tesla until brands like Mazda or Toyota decide to hope on the bandwagon.

Dehnus

You are using old bad implementation of digital dashboards as a reason for digital not being "proper speedometers"?

EDIT: Just because something fell out of the market, does not mean that it was inferior to other choices btw (such as Plasma T.Vs for example). I would say that poor implementation of digital dashboards with a combination of people like you who fight future tech is mainly responsible for it. As I said before, majority of people only need to see the speed they are going with with fully digital dashes, it is possible to show everything you are asking for without it looking like the 1980s digital dashboards.

Indeed, my mother drives a second hand Skoda Octavia (For you Yanks, that is a VW Golf, but bigger and cheaper, but more reliable.. just a bit more cheap plastic). And in the middle she always has her Maxidot showing the km/h. She doesn't look at the dials anymore, just uses the Maxidot for a speedometer. It all depends on the implementation and clarity of the screen.

Dehnus

LOL, wtf man.

What? Dude, for the vast majority of people a speedometer is ONLY to tell speed, which is what that number on the screen is for. Stop being weird lol.

I just get a bit sick of people acting like things are "bad" with the Tesla Model 3, simply because they can find another stick to hit that dog with. They've been doing it on many forums for ages, just because they were made to believe that :"Petrol/Diesel is always better". Remember that "It is too silent, pedestrians won't here you coming! that is dangerous!" craze? When most petrol engined cars at that speed are just as silent at lower speeds and many people have headphones on when they walk?

Or the "Range" argument, even though you can get at least 300 km in with a Tesla and recharge it during your downtimes? And you need to take a break every 2 hours anyway? Or the safety remark about the fly doors? Or that Mister Clarcksson and his friends took the first model for a spin... around town.. kept it unreported so that they could act that it ran out of battery? or that... well you get where I'm going at.

These people are just as immature and they will constantly ram that opinion down your throat whether it is valid or not. So for me it is just a bit of a tease in return. That they can "go to sleep and don't need to worry... shhh.. it's okay. A few more nights of sleep and then GM/Ford/VW will announce their Electric cars and they can drive them too".

Reading it back, it might sound a bit like a rape joke, that was not my intend. It is a "go to sleep, it'll be okay.". Joke. My apologies that it could be taken as the former. Not going to delete it though, as that would be misrepresenting history. And I do feel the way I feel. It is time car manufacturers started to get with the times!

Glasshole

Banned

ZIFUR4f.jpg

I get what you're trying to say (and I like me some dials), but your argumentation doesn't hold up. Flying an airplane is way more complex than a car, and the front windshields are basically useless anyway and offer no point of reference - so dials are critical for airplanes to keep the data in check.

With cars, you have a lot of reference points looking out the window, and the differences in acceleration are more nuanced than on an airplane. In short - if you need the dial to notice how fast you're accelerating, you're doing something wrong.

Dials are very practical for the display of swiftly changing numbers, like RPMs, which an electric car is also lacking, so there's no need for an RPM dial.

Last but not least, your example is irrelevant, too - these "terrible" (it's a matter of taste) dials have the exact same function as 'analog', classic dials. You can see how fast the 'needle' moves in those Alfa Romeo 80ies dials, too. I don't see your point.

EDIT: @Dehnus, maybe slow down with the quadruple-posts? Jesus man.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This is the "virtual cockpit" on my car. I can customize the display at the press of a button on the steering wheel - switching from Google Earth, to Apple maps, or 2D traditional ones, to entertainment, to car diagnostics, fuel efficiency etc. The dials are "analog" and perfectly animated (it has an nVidia GPU and is >1080p @ 60fps.) and I can shrink or grow those individual elements at will, in real time. There's a second display to the right that "contains" my Apple Carplay/phone display, and I can use it as a redundant display, switch elements or choose what I want to appear on either (there are some limitations).

I love it. The idea that a real analog dial is an any meaningfully objective way better is crazy to me.

However, cars are emotional purchases too, so I bear no malice to folks who prefer old school, as long as they don't try to make any faulty objective claims.

KdkMBao.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/05/audi-virtual-cockpit-technology-of-the-year-finalist-video/

Hate to tell you this, but it's apparently non-transferrable. You'll have to buy it under your name and then sell it to your parents (or just let them make your payments).

I fully anticipate this, although a lot of stuff at Tesla happens on a case-by-case basis and it's possible they will look at my particular situation and decide it will be fine to let me transfer my reserved car to my parents just to let them buy it instead of having me buy it and pass it on to them because of how the tax incentives work.

I love it. The idea that a real analog dial is an any meaningfully objective way better is crazy to me.

Ideally I'd like to see 120fps for simulated analog dials for speed and tach on LCDs but 60fps is pretty good. Of course the telemetry that feeds it has to be sampled at at least that rate and with sub frame latency. I don't have any specific attachment to 'real' analog meters per se; just make them fast and accurate and available in front (through the steering wheel).

Aight, gonna wait for my next car and make it the Model 3.

What's a good estimated price to start saving for? Is it still around 30K or has that ship sailed?

pretty sure it sailed. i'd anticipate most out the door costs to be around $40k

Will probably move from my FR-S to an Impreza eventually then.

25-30K is about as much as I'm willing to pay for a car in this stage of my life, and I still have to pay off my FR-S.

Just eyeing what to get once I pay it off and trade it in. The model 3 has similar performance to an FR-S but with 4 doors, which makes the Impreza a nice alternative if I'm not going electric.

But I wanna go electric.

v0yce

What others think is their opinion, and all I can say is "ssh..." because soon your brand will also get a car like that. Infact GM already had one, until they kidnapped the very first one away from it's happy owners in the USA :(.... shows you what fossil fuel lobbies can do.

Huh?

You responded to a post about the dashboard design with an "electric cars are the future; blinded by fossil fuels" rant?

I mean...wha?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ideally I'd like to see 120fps for simulated analog dials for speed and tach on LCDs but 60fps is pretty good. Of course the telemetry that feeds it has to be sampled at at least that rate and with sub frame latency. I don't have any specific attachment to 'real' analog meters per se; just make them fast and accurate and available in front (through the steering wheel).

The Audi system is viewed through the steering wheel, but I think 120 fps would be overkill, since that should be more or less undetectable unless you're staring at it, which for obvious reasons, you shouldn't. Those dials are for glancing. The telemetry is sampled at a very high frequency and is likely much more accurate and timely than analog dials in similar cars simply because of the physics involved in actuating a physical meter from the throttle and drivetrain.

However, I assume future models will be 120fps just because, and more resolution won't hurt. 4K Oleds would look gorgeous.

FyreWulff

This is the "virtual cockpit" on my car. I can customize the display at the press of a button on the steering wheel - switching from Google Earth, to Apple maps, or 2D traditional ones, to entertainment, to car diagnostics, fuel efficiency etc. The dials are "analog" and perfectly animated (it has an nVidia GPU and is >1080p @ 60fps.) and I can shrink or grow those individual elements at will, in real time. There's a second display to the right that "contains" my Apple Carplay/phone display, and I can use it as a redundant display, switch elements or choose what I want to appear on either (there are some limitations).

However, cars are emotional purchases too, so I bear no malice to folks who prefer old school, as long as they don't try to make any faulty objective claims.

KdkMBao.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/05/audi-virtual-cockpit-technology-of-the-year-finalist-video/

that's the future right there.

funnily enough even older non-digital-display dials can have bad information... on our caravan, at one point the alternator went bad and was basically sending junk data via electricity surges around the vehicle, so the transmission would randomly shift up and down at red lights, and would spin around backwards or show obviously wrong speeds like 80mph while parked. Took us months to figure it out.

then again this is what it's readout looks like, so it probably has car dementia.

MG178sIl.png

I like physical needles, dials, switches, and buttons in a car. Purely for aesthetic reasons.

I strongly prefer this:

2004495038289137556_rs.jpg

Over this:

212339.jpeg

Still, I'm looking forward to the Model 3. I hope availability will allow me to buy one in ~3 years. I'm not looking forward to a car payments as I haven't had one in 5 years and I've never bought a car over $15k before - but I'm still pumped for this.

So uhhh have they finalized the design yet? Was first in mine at my local dealership over a year ago. What's the hold up?

The design is final. Literally nothing is the hold up at this point and production is going as scheduled. Have you paid no attention to the news about a car you have a thousand dollars down on?

Omlagus

Not really no. When is the release date?

They're anticipating starting production in July and deliveries will start first to Tesla and SpaceX employees. Then they will roll out from west coast of US to east coast. And then finally to outside of US. So depending on where you live you could still easily have another 6 months or more to wait.

Doodis

They're anticipating starting production in July and deliveries will start first to Tesla and SpaceX employees. Then they will roll out from west coast of US to east coast. And then finally to outside of US. So depending on where you live you could still easily have another 6 months or more to wait.

Also, a final reveal event will be held at the beginning of July where we'll presumably get all the missing details of the car. Don't expect to hear much between now and then.

So are we talking 2017 or 2018? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom