• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

Almighty

Never even heard of Tex Murphy. Will have to look into them. Bringing back more old classics is always good though.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a Darklands or Quest for Glory kickstarter myself.

Bebpo

Banned
Like the Doublefine one, I'll put some decent change into this one to support something I never thought I'd get in a million years and I REALLY WANT TO HAPPEN. If this doesn't hit its target I will be very depressed :(

Like the Doublefine one, I'll put some decent change into this one to support something I never thought I'd get in a million years and I REALLY WANT TO HAPPEN. If this doesn't hit its target I will be very depressed :(

It should be bolstered by the fact that the lead designer was also the actor and is spearheading it himself. That's instant legitimacy.

Wiktor

The cool thing about is that they're already working on the game, have been for quite some time. They need kickstarter to make it bigger/better. So when it launches in may they will propably have a lot to show already, which should make gathering funds easier.

Wiktor

I'm not sure where you're getting that from but if it's true the video is pretty misleading.

From decription of the video:
We made a decision within the past few months that now was the time to complete the Tex Storyline. We could not wait any longer. We agreed that we needed to finish the story, although it had to be a more "modest" game design since Big Finish Games is a small gaming studio.

However, with the recent Kickstarter success stories for other Adventure Games - Double Fine Adventure & Wasteland 2 - we saw an opportunity to create a game of a larger scale.

They've been dropping hints about Project Fedora for years actually and few months back they went silent, so plenty of people were hopping it has finally started to move.

Now, I doubt they have much to show yet (propably did pre-production and some bits), but they should have something from the game to show, which is much more than DF and W2 had.

Without kickstarter the project would either propably die out before completion or be turned into casual-styled game.

Mr_Zombie

Wonder how will the game look. Will they be using FMV again (they probably will), and if so, how will that hold up nowadays. After all, nowadays you can do really detailed virtual environments, and blend actors with background much more naturally.

Wonder how will the game look. Will they be using FMV again (they probably will), and if so, how will that hold up nowadays. After all, nowadays you can do really detailed virtual environments, and blend actors with background much more naturally.

FMV's what they're going for.

All of this would allow us to make a true Adventure game with Immersive 3D world, Full Motion Video, and longer game play.

It'll hold up fine as long as they record in the appropriate quality and don't compress the files too much.

Medalion

Banned
FMV shot with HD cameras and better CG and mattes... should be interesting.

I hope they have an updated rendering engine for the exploring mode obviously though

SparkTR

I'd love for this to happen, an FMV game with modern technology would be a sight to see in itself, but Tex Murphy is god-like.

Wonder how will the game look. Will they be using FMV again (they probably will)
No doubt about it.

and if so, how will that hold up nowadays. After all, nowadays you can do really detailed virtual environments, and blend actors with background much more naturally.

Blending doesn't matter too much, the games (much like grubby horror flicks Evil Dead ect) used the hokeyness to create a tone of self mockery and playfulness, and on a purely technical level both video codecs and 3d asset creation have become many time better and cheaper then back in the mid nineties.

Card Boy

Banned
What i want to see on the Kickstarter page. Something signed by Chris Jones, a fedora, or a signed fedora by Chris Jones.

I've never played these games, but I wanna. Where do I start?

Go to GoG and start off with Under a Killing Moon for $9.99

Rafaelcsa

Played and replayed Pandora Directive a shitload of times with a friend of mine. Amazing and hilarious dialogues, great puzzles. I do prefer this game to UDAK, but that one is good too. Never played Overseer.

This is an awesome project. Getting Chris Jones to do it has me pumped. Will consider contributing if it seems to go well.

vocab

I beat UAKM yesterday, and I will definitely donate to this project. I'm surprised at how well it aged. There's only a few objects that are hard to miss due to the graphics, but everything else is completely fine. For 1994, it was ahead of its time.

I beat UAKM yesterday, and I will definitely donate to this project. I'm surprised at how well it aged. There's only a few objects that are hard to miss due to the graphics, but everything else is completely fine. For 1994, it was ahead of its time.

I actually just finished UAKM and I agree with you. I'm definitely going to pledge to this.
Now I'm going to play The Pandora Directive.

MBison

I didn't donate to the DF one but should have but I will definitely give to this one. The Tex Murphy games are probably my favorite graphical adventures of all time. I have signed boxes for UAKM, Pandora Directive, and Overseer. I'd be in for a good amount based on the bonuses.

MBison

The Pandora Directive is very good so far. Is The Overseer as good as UAKM and TPD?

Overseer is very good also but probably not up to TPD's level. It is a bit rushed and was buggy back in the day because they were trying to finish it quickly for a pack-in with a video card I think. The story also isn't original, it's basically a rehash of one of the earlier pre-FMV Tex games, the story is told in flashback.

It's still good, don't get me wrong. Just TPD is like God-tier adventure game.

Overseer is very good also but probably not up to TPD's level. It is a bit rushed and was buggy back in the day because they were trying to finish it quickly for a pack-in with a video card I think. The story also isn't original, it's basically a rehash of one of the earlier pre-FMV Tex games, the story is told in flashback.

It's still good, don't get me wrong. Just TPD is like God-tier adventure game.

Thanks. Hopefully GOG will have it on sale soon.

Overseer is very good also but probably not up to TPD's level. It is a bit rushed and was buggy back in the day because they were trying to finish it quickly for a pack-in with a video card I think.

Actually it was Intel. They wanted a game to feature their new MMX technology. In the end Intel went with Rebel Moon Rising instead.

El-Suave

UGH - I want (and most likely will) support this, but the new 2 Guys from Andromeda space adventure game Kickstarter will most likely launch in that timeframe as well, if the latest Leisure Suit Larry video is correct. That's two (kind of) similar projects fighting for my money yet again.
I hope they don't cannibalize each other in the grand scheme of things.

I've never played a Tex Murphy game before, but this interview really makes me want to... Sounds like pretty interesting stuff.

I started playing the FMV ones at the end of last year, really enjoying them, no nostalgia or 'good for the time' real enjoyment.

But due to some of the actors blatantly reading cue cards (god damn Louie) I think you'd need to the type who likes MST3K.

UGH - I want (and most likely will) support this, but the new 2 Guys from Andromeda space adventure game Kickstarter will most likely launch in that timeframe as well, if the latest Leisure Suit Larry video is correct. That's two (kind of) similar projects fighting for my money yet again.

Since most of the time the 15 or 30 dollar tier is what suits me it means I can support lots of projects.
If you want physical extras and the game in a box I could see it being a problem.

Clipper

I can't wait to see what they have decided upon for the Kickstarter rewards. This is one project that I'm prepared to spend really big on.

I can't wait to see what they have decided upon for the Kickstarter rewards. This is one project that I'm prepared to spend really big on.

Same here. I ended up doing the minimum on the Leisure Suit Larry and Jane Jensen projects, and will probably do the minimum on the Space Adventure one, but this one I'm as excited for as I was the Double Fine project.

Clipper

Hmm... is anyone in for an avatar meme closer to the Kickstarter launch date? A Tex fedora seems like a perfect idea!

I'm going to try to find a good one we can use...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Will have to scrounge up $30 for this one,

Selected 15 for Jane and Al,

Gave 30 to Tim, and plan 30 to this.

Adventure gamers will have quite a few projects to play next year :)

Haunted

Here's hoping it's better received than the Sherlock Holmes FMV games kickstarter.

Something to read while waiting for Tex Kickstarter:

New Chris Jones interview at Adventure-treff
Hey, someone linking to Adventure-Treff, that's neat. The founder is a friend and former co-worker of mine. I really ought to check out the news and discussion section when the DFA news dropped, should be a fun read. The Adventure-Treff guys are pretty hardcore. :lol

Clipper

Hmm, I'm not sure the fedora alone is enough to convey Tex, but I guess if we get enough people going, it might work. Here's what I came up with so far for my own avatar:

texrimmer.png

Perhaps I might play with colouring his clothes like the trenchcoat...

This is the cropped hat for those at want to try it out:
texhat1.png

There's also this as potential source, but it doesn't really work without an avatar in the same orientation as Tex:
blackback.png

Made another one:
texrimmer2.png

from this source:
texhat2.png

Clipper

So, the Kickstarter is nearly here at last, just a day or two away. I've gone ahead and updated my avatar already in anticipation. I'll probably change the suit colour to that of Tex' overcoat when the actual Kickstarter launches. I certainly hope this turns out well...

That looks perfect! Can someone with actual photoshop skills try to Murphy my Venture? I can't make it look right no matter what I do...

Clipper

That looks perfect! Can someone with actual photoshop skills try to Murphy my Venture? I can't make it look right no matter what I do...

I went from a different source image as the background of your current one is a bit hard to duplicate:
texventure.jpg

If you want it to be greyed out a bit like the current one, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I can also dutch it (rotate to match the rotation in yours).

Edit: And I think I prefer that first one, but here's the other hat styles:
texventure2.jpg
texventure3.jpg

Top Bottom