• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
By the looks of it they spent all their time producing the video, which was pretty amusing.

But I am unfamiliar with the Tex Murphy series. I have never played any of them, so I am not sure if I would pledge to this one.

I played Under A Killing Moon for the first time last year and found it very playable. They are all on GOG, maybe give one a try.

megalowho

iQUxiuZk73WkJ.jpg

Dat Rook

mclem

But I am unfamiliar with the Tex Murphy series. I have never played any of them, so I am not sure if I would pledge to this one.

You know how in the early days of CD-Rom, FMV was all the rage and there were a ton of mediocre games with piles of FMV in to justify the use of the tech?

The Tex Murphy games were what you get when you do that *right*.

Wow. This shot out of the gate like a rocket.

Notifying people long in advance and getting the word to spread beforehand was a good move. The prize tiers also look pretty well thought out. The project description is perhaps a little slim as others have said, but given that it comes from an established franchise backers generally know what they're signing up for.

Frogacuda

Banned
Indeed. For a high profile Kickstarter announced weeks in advance it is pretty bare bones.
Well the pitch video is pretty epic, it's clear that's where their energy went.
Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive are both in my top 5 adventure games of all time. They were the complete package: Amazing presentation, top-notch puzzles and design, the best graphics on the market at the time... UAKM was really a landmark game for 1994.

If you don't back this, you hate adventure games, and you're a bad person, pretty much.
Is it actually planning on launching this December?
Well, remember they announced this game like 3 years ago, so a lot of pre-development work has surely been done already.

Bebpo

Banned
The stuff about DLC with more rooms/gameplay is going to turn off a lot of people :| $150 for access to the full game is asking a lot.

Also one of the few not supporting Kicking it Forward.

I really liked that pitch video. Very fun.

I'm not that happy about the recent trend in gaming kickstarters of the reward tiers being wildly overoptimistic.

Coop

I played Under A Killing Moon for the first time last year and found it very playable. They are all on GOG, maybe give one a try.

Agreed, I played UAKM and PD earlier this year and they hold up pretty well. I'm not a fan of the interface at all though.

Yuripaw

Banned
Between the time I went to bed, and the time I woke up...this thing doubled in pledges. Yeah i think this will be funded, heh. I'll be in once I have some money I think.

Really like the idea of a HD FMV game.

If the kickstarter video is a indication of the direction of the final game then I will be day 1.

I've backed Double Fine, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun earlier, but I can honestly say that this is the project I'm looking the most forward to.

I just finished replaying The Pandora Directive, what a fucking amazing game that is.

Chris Jones :bow

Digoman

And they just backtracked about the DLC on the $150 tier. Now "everything we had planned to do for the DLC will be included in the game".

It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but nevertheless, good news.

Lafazar

The stuff about DLC with more rooms/gameplay is going to turn off a lot of people :| $150 for access to the full game is asking a lot.

Fortunately they quickly realized it was a bad idea:
Project Update #1 by Chris Jones & Aaron Conners said:
INFO ABOUT DLC

We've seen a lot of concerned comments today about one of the rewards included at the $150 donation tier - specifically, the bonus downloadable content. Our intention was to give people some additional stuff, like the bonus content you get when you buy a movie DVD. We never intended to give people who donated less than $150 a "lesser" version of the game, but we now realize that that's how it came across.

For this reason, we will no longer offer the DLC as a reward. Instead, everything we had planned to do for the DLC will be included in the game – the same game for everyone, whether they donate $15 or $10,000.

We will be replacing the DLC with another reward at that tier and above. We hope this is acceptable to those who've already donated.

We apologize for our misunderstanding and hope you'll continue to support our efforts to bring Tex Murphy back!

Clipper

They just addressed this in an update (Edit: which I have been beaten to posting, but whatevs, I'll leave this here) . The 'DLC' was going to be Easter Eggs, makings of and stuff, not extra rooms/gameplay. However, due to the confusion, they have decided to include that 'DLC' in every tier now and add something else to replace it in the $150 tiers and up. You get the full game at any tier. No more worries, eh?

Yeah, I had kind of hoped they would show a little gameplay footage from the old games and not just FMV so people who have that bias might recognize that these were great GAMES as well.
The older gameplay interface might have been a bit confusing to people, especially if they don't realise that Tex has full control in that 3d environment and think he moves via some weird on-rails FMV as well. The reason why FMV works for Tex is it's only used to convey the story, with the gameplay being first person point-and-click in a 3D environment. It's hard to convey that in the timeframe, but I'm sure there'll be some updates and so on to flesh it out as time goes on. They did show some of the puzzles and so on too, the other key thing about Tex games, which I'm also fairly excited for, especially due to the fact that the Three Cards series has shown me that they haven't lost their knack for puzzles.

If the kickstarter video is a indication of the direction of the final game then I will be day 1.
It is, for the cutscenes at least. The video on the project definitely had a same feel that the old games had, while being a little more technically competent.

I watched most of the vid in the op and glossed over the description on the KickStarter.

I see there's a lot of FMV implemented. Is the acting expected to be this...bad? I was cringing a lot. Reminded me of a bad B Movie. Like one of those old SegaCD FMV games like Sewer Shark or Sherlock Homes: Consulting Detective.

Bebpo

Banned
Good they addressed the DLC issue early on.

I'm not against the kickstarter (I already donated), but I want it to do well and seeing ones struggle like Jane Jenson's, it's important to identify the problems with it early on and fix them so they can appeal to the broadest audience and get great numbers.

I thought the KIF campaign got pretty much killed by Kickstarter?

Interesting. Were there some articles about this? Almost all the game related kickstarters were supporting it up until last month. Jensen/Shadowrun/LSL all supported it.

I watched most of the vid in the op and glossed over the description on the KickStarter.

I see there's a lot of FMV implemented. Is the acting expected to be this...bad? I was cringing a lot. Reminded me of a bad B Movie. Like one of those old SegaCD FMV games like Sewer Shark or Sherlock Homes: Consulting Detective.

It's supposed to have the feel of an old dime thriller.

Watch some of the previous games on youtube to see what they'll be aiming for, search for "under a killing moon".

MrBud360

Good they addressed the DLC issue early on.

I'm not against the kickstarter (I already donated), but I want it to do well and seeing ones struggle like Jane Jenson's, it's important to identify the problems with it early on and fix them so they can appeal to the broadest audience and get great numbers.

Yeah, weed need help! Adventures gamers, help Jane Jensen Moebius! We will help Tex Murphy too!!!

Clipper

Speaking about more gameplay and extra rooms, how many of the Tex veterans in here went to the trouble of finding the secret Easter Egg room in Pandora Directive?

I was pretty amazed when I found out about it back in the day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A bit off topic, but there was an FMV adventure game with a pseudo-scifi noirish setting featuring a female detective that was released a few years ago... anyone remember it/play it?

Card Boy

Banned
This upsets me

"Additional DLC for “Project Fedora” featuring more game play, extra rooms, and 'Easter Egg' insights into Tex’s life and other citizens of Chandler Avenue."

I dont get why non-kickstarter people have to be punished. TB covers this in one of his mailboxes in regards to the Wasteland (i think?) DLC. Kickstarters are unproven and the vast majority of people don't even know if the end product will be good or come out for that matter. Why should people be punished by having a lesser product because they didn't want to take the risk?

Unless of course the DLC is available to all post launch for people to buy.

MBison

This upsets me

I dont get why non-kickstarter people have to be punished. TB covers this in one of his mailboxes in regards to the Wasteland (i think?) DLC. Kickstarters are unproven and the vast majority of people don't even know if the end product will be good or come out for that matter. Why should people be punished by having a lesser product because they didn't want to take the risk?

Unless of course the DLC is available to all post launch for people to buy.

You're late to the party, this has already been pulled. The game content will be the same for all. Read the update page.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Speaking about more gameplay and extra rooms, how many of the Tex veterans in here went to the trouble of finding the secret Easter Egg room in Pandora Directive?

I was pretty amazed when I found out about it back in the day.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to start playing this!

MBison

Ah cool. They are still selling it though as of this post.

They're trying to phase out that tier and make it 0 of 0 available. You cant edit the tiers once posted, supposedly.. I guess.

It was definitely a misstep but one they tried to remedy immediately upon backlash.

cj_iwakura

Really like the idea of a HD FMV game.

Me too. I truly miss FMVs. (Gotta make another FMV Appreciation Thread...)

May donate soon. Want to support the genre.

And Shadowrun Girl would look nice in a fedora, if anyone would be so kind.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That video filled me with pure joy, best kickstarter video ever.

Top Bottom