• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
SpaceVenture has a few problems facing it.

1) It's following TWO campaigns that also involved Sierra game designers, AND it's running concurrently with another comedic adventure game, so people are spread a little thin.

2) The pitch video is as entertaining and natural as a PBS pledge drive, and contains no meaningful information about the game itself.

3) Their prototyping hook turned out to be a little confusing and underwhelming for people.
I just think not having access to the Space Quest/Roger Wilco thing is what kills enthusiasm for a lot of people. And without that to support it, they should've had something a lot more exciting than a couple of preliminary drawings of goofy aliens to get us interested.

Frogacuda

Banned
I just think not having access to the Space Quest/Roger Wilco thing is what kills enthusiasm for a lot of people. And without that to support it, they should've had something a lot more exciting than a couple of preliminary drawings of goofy aliens to get us interested.

It seems that Kickstarter is the art of giving "just enough information but not too much." You want people to be able to imagine the game getting bigger and grander with more pledges and have idealistic visions of what it could become, but you also have to give them enough to stand out from all the other games out there.

Back on topic, adventuregamers ran a really good piece on this
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/21348

The drive continues to do well. We could use more $15 backers, though, our backer count is low, but everybody's really giving big money. The average pledge is $90, which is insane.

Clipper

Some new tiers have been added with some new features. If you've already pledged, this might make you want to up your pledge. If you haven't pledged yet, see if these whet your whistle:

• Pledge $28.88 or above - New blooper reel of previous Tex games
  • Pledge $88.88 or above - Audio Book version of the Pandora Directive novel read by Tex Murphy... I mean Chris Jones.
  • Pledge $188.88 or above - Get six all new Tex Murphy Radio Theater episodes.

Of course, all three new tiers come with the stuff from the previous tiers as well, so you'll get the game and whatever extras you'd be entitled to at the lower levels (the older games, posters, t-shirts, etc.)

Check Update #11 to see the importance of the 888 theme...

Brick

Donated! So excited for this! :D

177169-pandora_directive_2_large.jpg

Frogacuda

Banned
The new rewards are kind of brilliant. All digital so they don't add a huge cost burden (like Double Fine's rewards), but all awesome things that any Tex fan would want.

Brick

Been playing through the old games since this kickstarter was announced. I'd forgotten how much I love FMV.

protonion

Downloading Overseer from gog at the moment for yet another playthrough.
Yes PD has the 3 paths and all but Overseer is still my favorite due to better pacing,puzzles and a couple of awesome set-pieces (Jim Slade). Also it is imo the only adventure game that has a truly amazing endgame. The climax, the final puzzle (the puzzle itself and what it represented) and the last cut scene. So good!

Come on people. Spread the word. Let's finish the project!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I though Mackie would be a little more enthusiastic in that Retronauts interview, maybe he wasn't originally a fan of the series. It was good to hear from Chris though.

Yuripaw

Banned
I wanna donate to this, but I feel like my one donation won't really help much because we're still so far away from the goal. I'd hate to donate to this, and it doesn't reach the goal, and the game is not made.

I hate sounding like a cheap skate, but I have to be because I'm a poor person right now.

ArjanN

I wanna donate to this, but I feel like my one donation won't really help much because we're still so far away from the goal. I'd hate to donate to this, and it doesn't reach the goal, and the game is not made.

I hate sounding like a cheap skate, but I have to be because I'm a poor person right now.

They only charge you if the project is succesful.

Clipper

Yeah, pledge away, your money is safe if it doesn't reach the goal. In any case, given typical pledge patterns, Tex should safely make it. They are not really in danger of falling short. And if the Two Guys' SpaceVenture falls through (which it is in danger of), then I suspect Tex will get a hearty bump too from people getting their money back. I don't want SpaceVenture to fail, I do want both projects, but Tex is definitely my choice if only one can gather enough support.

I currently have $165 pledged to Space Venture and $270 pledged to Tex and I'm certain I'll be upping the Tex pledge to $520 if SV fails to reach the goal.

Frogacuda

Banned

This is silly logic for a few reaons.

1) You don't get charged if it doesn't make its goal, so why would this matter?
2) Every pledge matters, that's how crowdfunding works.
3) So far from their goal? They're at like 85%.
4) No project with over 500 backers has ever failed with 85% in the history of kickstarter. It is basically guarunteed to make it at this point.

It's such a silly mentality. But a lot of people DO think that way, which is why donations always spike when projects get near their goal.

Frogacuda

Banned
I currently have $165 pledged to Space Venture and $270 pledged to Tex and I'm certain I'll be upping the Tex pledge to $520 if SV fails to reach the goal.
SpaceVenture will make their goal. They have like 7,000 backers. If they fail it will be unprecendented in Kickstarter history.

Clipper

This is silly logic for a few reaons.

1) You don't get charged if it doesn't make its goal, so why would this matter?
2) Every pledge matters, that's how crowdfunding works.
3) So far from their goal? They're at like 85%.
4) No project with over 500 backers has ever failed with 85% in the history of kickstarter. It is basically guarunteed to make it at this point.

It's such a silly mentality. But a lot of people DO think that way, which is why donations always spike when projects get near their goal.
You're being a bit harsh here. It's not surprising that somebody that isn't familiar with Kickstarter would think that it works like traditional donations. Anyone like this clearly would not be aware of any of your other points either. Calling them silly when they are just uninformed is hurtful.

SpaceVenture will make their goal. They have like 7,000 backers. If they fail it will be unprecendented in Kickstarter history.
I admire your blind faith in history, but 6 days left to cover 30% of their goal is not a definite thing in my book. I want it to succeed, I really do think they have a good chance of succeeding, but I do not believe it to do a certainty by any means. The projection cone on Kicktraq only barely reaches their goal at its high point, so they need to do something to increase funding like crazy. Yes, they are scrambling like mad to add plenty of incentives and I hope it pays off, but sooner or later, one of these big projects is going to fail to meet its goal, despite historical data.

Also, the Multi-quote and Edit buttons are your friends.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This one will be pretty close to funded by the time the end push starts so it should have no problem.

Space Quest will squeak in.

Frogacuda

Banned
Calling them silly when they are just uninformed is hurtful.
I thought "silly" was a fairly gentle word to use. But yeah, I guess he was just misinformed, I wasn't even really thinking about it like that. Apologies

I admire your blind faith in history, but 6 days left to cover 30% of their goal is not a definite thing in my book. I want it to succeed, I really do think they have a good chance of succeeding, but I do not believe it to do a certainty by any means. The projection cone on Kicktraq only barely reaches their goal at its high point, so they need to do something to increase funding like crazy. Yes, they are scrambling like mad to add plenty of incentives and I hope it pays off, but sooner or later, one of these big projects is going to fail to meet its goal, despite historical data.
Well, look at Republique, Kinetic Void, or any of the other recent projects that people wrote off as doomed. Kicktraq doesn't account for where the goal is or when the deadline is, and both of those things motivate major spikes in funding. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed, it'll be down to the wire, but history really has shown when push comes to shove, backers make it happen.

In other news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stJy4XPNMkY

Basically for every $6,000 that backers throw in from now until the goal, one of their "secret" backers (probably investors), will match it with an additional $4,000. Which is a pretty good deal, and means this will probably hit its goal this weekend. Awesome.

Clipper

I thought "silly" was a fairly gentle word to use. But yeah, I guess he was just misinformed, I wasn't even really thinking about it like that. Apologies
Yeah, it wasn't very strong, but it was still an insult. I'm glad to see you took the criticism well, too.

Well, look at Republique, Kinetic Void, or any of the other recent projects that people wrote off as doomed. Kicktraq doesn't account for where the goal is or when the deadline is, and both of those things motivate major spikes in funding. I'm not saying it's a guaranteed, it'll be down to the wire, but history really has shown when push comes to shove, backers make it happen.
Fair enough. You did imply there was no chance of failing, which is why I had to refute it.

In other news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stJy4XPNMkY

Basically for every $6,000 that backers throw in from now until the goal, one of their "secret" backers (probably investors), will match it with an additional $4,000. Which is a pretty good deal, and means this will probably hit its goal this weekend. Awesome.
It's already jumped 20k in the last hour.
Yeah, it seems this Magnificent 7 thing is a huge success in only a few hours. Also, Chris' mention of stretch goals enthuses me too. Stretch goals were one of my holdouts for upping my pledge amount, so I'm very happy for the rapid rise...

Clipper

Sorry for the double post, but it's worth it!

The sixth magnificent 7 member's level just was reached (well, $6 away from it, so any second now). The goal is only 10k away, with 60k being earned today already. Bring on the stretch goals!

megalowho

Wow, that really jumped! Absolutely great news! I was getting fairly worried at how slowly the numbers were progressing for a while, not going to lie. Hope they can raise a nice little cushion with the week or so left.

Congrats to Big Finish!

mclem

So here's some arbitrary musing: Have we now reached a point in the games industry where it's actually *cheaper* to produce live-action FMV rather than to do the equivalent in in-game graphics?

There was a time when live-action FMV adventures were the expensive things with the massive budgets, but I'm wondering if that's got inverted in the ensuing fifteen or so years.

protonion

So here's some arbitrary musing: Have we now reached a point in the games industry where it's actually *cheaper* to produce live-action FMV rather than to do the equivalent in in-game graphics?

There was a time when live-action FMV adventures were the expensive things with the massive budgets, but I'm wondering if that's got inverted in the ensuing fifteen or so years.

I read an interview where they said that the combined budget for UAKM and PD was 4 millions. And now they will need less money due to experience and that they do not have to build everything from scratch.

Frogacuda

Banned
I read an interview where they said that the combined budget for UAKM and PD was 4 millions. And now they will need less money due to experience and that they do not have to build everything from scratch.

A very large portion of those budgets were R&D. They had to build all their own tools, engine, and techniques to make that work.

Overseer, by comparison, only cost about a million to make. It's also a bit rough around the edges compared to the others, but its deadline was a hard 9 months due to their contract with intel, so it was a little rushed.

I think with an engine and better tools in place, it's not hard to believe they could do something similar for a little less now. Remember, they also have $300,000 of their own money they're putting into this.

mclem

Stretch goals are up; all strike me as pretty worthwhile. Although one of the 30% ones is a bit... out there. It makes sense when you bear in mind the background of the folks involved, but still...
Bolding is my additions.

If we exceed funding by 10% ($495,000): Additional story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters).

If we exceed funding by 20% ($540,000): Port the game to additional platforms Android and - pending approval - Xbox, provide Text translations for French, Italian, German, Spanish (English will already be included). Finally, more recognizable actors.

If we exceed funding by 30% ($585,000): Another expansion of the story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters), ingame golf game (!), and Live Orchestra for the games' music.

Paypal up on Friday.

Clipper

Oh man, I said to myself when I made my first pledge that I'd up it if I was enthused by the stretch goals, and I sure am. It's a pity I have to give up my position as the first $250 backer, but getting the picture in the game will be pretty cool... I'm really going to need to start budgeting my Kickstarter funds, though, this is getting really expensive :p

epmode

Stretch goals are up; all strike me as pretty worthwhile. Although one of the 30% ones is a bit... out there. It makes sense when you bear in mind the background of the folks involved, but still...
I really like the 30% stuff! After all of the awful MIDI soundbanks playing good music, I'd love to hear a real orchestra.

In other news, I hope the new game cuts the timed sections entirely. I've been playing through Pandora Directive and some of that stuff had me going for a walkthough so I didn't have to replay the same section thirty times.

Frogacuda

Banned
I'm really going to need to start budgeting my Kickstarter funds, though, this is getting really expensive :p

Man, I think after this and SpaceVenture are funded, I'm taking a loooong vacation from Kickstarter, secure in the knowledge that I played my small part in bringing adventure games back to life.

Unless they launch a Neverhood Kickstarter. Then I'm screwed.

EmSeta

So the tentative release date is Dec 2012 - that's not really realistic, is it? I wouldn't expect development to take less than a year, unless we want Overseer 0.5.

Frogacuda

Banned
So the tentative release date is Dec 2012 - that's not really realistic, is it? I wouldn't expect development to take less than a year, unless we want Overseer 0.5.
That's the delivery date for the physical rewards.

The game is slated for release in Q3 of 2013, with a 12-14 month development cycle. This is in addition to some skunkworks prototyping and pre-development that they've been doing over the last 6 months or so, so really it's pretty reasonable.

Clipper

A guy is doing a marathon of the Tex games on stream. It's currently on Mean Streets, so probably not the best time to watch, as it hasn't aged well, but here's the link for anyone interested.

megalowho

Lol. Loved me some Links back in the day:

1879126-51qygrgwofl_large.jpg

It was the best golf series on PC at the time, as well.

mclem

Well, exactly. It's crazy and insane, and then you think about it some more, and it suddenly makes *perfect* sense.

Chances of them following up Tex with a new full golf sim, once they've got a feel for it again?

Clipper

The Tex stream is up to Under a Killing Moon. If you want to see what Project Fedora will be like, take a look. Blair is trying to do every dialogue choice, every death and he'll be doing every path in Pandora, so even Tex veterans might see something they've never seen before.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Lol. Loved me some Links back in the day:

1879126-51qygrgwofl_large.jpg

It was the best golf series on PC at the time, as well.

God I'd kill for a good non EA golf game again. It was so nice having different golf games back in the day..Links,Pgatour, Greens..now all we got is incremental purgatory with Tiger.

Top Bottom