• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

Wiktor

God I'd kill for a good non EA golf game again. It was so nice having different golf games back in the day..Links,Pgatour, Greens..now all we got is incremental purgatory with Tiger.

I wonder how new Links-like Kickstarter would do. THe community is extremely hardcore and willing to spend huge ammounts of money, kind of like FLight Simulator community. SO the pledges would be much higher than the average.
And people are starved for good PC golf game, especially after EA treated the community like utter crap recently by repackaging browser Tiger Woods and selling it as a retail product

protonion

The way he wants to show everything, make this not very enjoyable to watch.
However it shows the amazing depth of PD.
I've finished the game several times and I always had to exchange points for money because I took the good path (returning the wallet, letter etc). I wonder if it can be done without the cheat...

Clipper

The way he wants to show everything, make this not very enjoyable to watch.
However it shows the amazing depth of PD.
I've finished the game several times and I always had to exchange points for money because I took the good path (returning the wallet, letter etc). I wonder if it can be done without the cheat...

You mean getting the ultimate good ending without losing points? Yeah, you can. With the crossword bonus and stuff, there's still enough cash in the game to pay all your debts and buy everything you need without stealing any cash as far as I remember.

EmSeta

Hm, it's chugging along at a snail's pace. At this rate there's no chance of reaching the final stretch goal. Man, I really want that live music... couldn't care less about the golf stuff.

Clipper

Hm, it's chugging along at a snail's pace. At this rate there's no chance of reaching the final stretch goal. Man, I really want that live music... couldn't care less about the golf stuff.

There's plenty of time left, especially with the bump we'll get when SpaceVenture ends (regardless of whether it makes it or not). The current stretch goals should easily be made.

Clipper

The second playthrough of Pandora Directive has just started, this time on Lombard Street in Entertainment mode (Boulevard of Broken Dreams was the first run). This run doesn't have the repetition element, so it's a good time to join in if you switched off because of that. It will be a maximum point run, so there is still stuff you might not have seen before for the vets.

Link again.

Frogacuda

Banned
I'm sad this is tapering off while we have such tantalizing stretch goals. I'm sure we'll hit the second stretch goal, but we need to pick it up if we're going to get to the third.

The rewards for this project are bad ass. One of the few where the rewards themselves are motivation enough to go big.

Clipper

The two remaining stretch goals should be easily made with the last day bump as well as the resurgence in support now that people aren't splitting pledges between SpaceVenture and Project Fedora any more.

However, I guess some acceleration now would give us a chance of getting some new stretch goals announced earlier...

protonion

The stream is now at the final area of Overseer.
I finished it recently but I don't mind seeing again the epic endgame!

mclem

Stretch goal #2 met; $40k to go to hit the third, that's about $1k/hr. Needs a bit of a final spike to cover it (assuming the extra $8k is already factored in), but has a healthy chance.

D-X

Lets push this all the way to the 30% stretch goal. The campaign has been phenomenal so far let's not fall at the last hurdle! $15 is all it takes to buy the game and that's a steal, not to mention you get entered into that massive prize draw!

I've been wondering how they can create a game set in fully explorable 3D environments for so little money. Aren't graphics expensive as hell to produce nowadays?

I mean for classic point-and-click games I get it, but those Tex Murphy games always were pretty cutting edge in terms of visuals.

mclem

I've been wondering how they can create a game set in fully explorable 3D environments for so little money. Aren't graphics expensive as hell to produce nowadays?

I mean for classic point-and-click games I get it, but those Tex Murphy games always were pretty cutting edge in terms of visuals.

They're putting in some of their own money, as I understand it. More importantly, though, is the nature of how costs have changed; I'm fairly sure that FMV is now *significantly* cheaper to produce than an equivalent using computer generated graphics would be.

It's the difference between painstakingly modelling Jim Raynor sitting at a chair, asking the bartender for a drink and downing the shot in one and saying "Okay, Chris, we're doing the bar animation now. Action!... And that's a wrap, thanks folks".

With a massive reduction in costs for character assets, we're down to (mostly static) environments to be explored, not *as* expensive a prospect in any way.

(All that said, I wouldn't be too surprised if the environments don't end up being a little sparse, but we'll see)

18 hours remaining, $13k from 130%. As ever, I won't be relaxed until it's safely past the total, but it's looking very promising indeed. Also, the most recent video? Cheesy as hell, and ever so slightly disturbing :)

Edit: Oh, wait. On the Big Finish site, they've got an image that's periodically updated and includes Paypal. The latest from last night:

kickstarter_stretchtex.jpg

Update that with the current KS total, and we're within $4k. We may even be there depending on what Paypal's done since then.

Edit2: I've never really registered the content of the $45 tier, any opinions on Big Finish's recent work, since it looks like I'll be getting it all for free?

Clipper

Edit2: I've never really registered the content of the $45 tier, any opinions on Big Finish's recent work, since it looks like I'll be getting it all for free?
The Three Cards games have some great puzzles, almost Tex style in nature, and the hidden object stuff was different to most others, so they are interesting and fun. Plus, Chris Jones does some of the voices, which are cool. On the other hand, the Rita games are pure hidden object and you probably won't enjoy them unless you enjoy casual stuff.

mclem

The Three Cards games have some great puzzles, almost Tex style in nature, and the hidden object stuff was different to most others, so they are interesting and fun. Plus, Chris Jones does some of the voices, which are cool. On the other hand, the Rita games are pure hidden object and you probably won't enjoy them unless you enjoy casual stuff.
Not a problem, I'm completely open-minded to genres. Looking forward to that, then.

That makes sense, mclem.

I'm also wondering if there will be models of the characters, or if they'll insert bitmaps of them within the environments like in the old games.

megalowho

So glad this worked out for them, with a decent little cushion as well. I was in no matter what but I really enjoyed following the campaign. Underneath the silly video updates it was pretty clear how much this project meant to them, Chris and Aaron deserve to make another Tex game and now they'll get their chance.

4:19 am, just finished Under a Killing Moon.

Gotta love beating a game you've been meaning to play for almost 20 years. Loved everything about it, as I expected, so I'm not sure why I waited this long. The level of immersion is incredible thanks to the live-action characters, fully explorable environments, rich universe, smart often funny dialogue and great B-movie/sci-fi/film noir story.

The best part is that I have four more (five including PF) to play.

And now, to try and get some ******* sleep.

Oh who am I kidding, I have to buy Pandora's Directive and at least check out the intro.

Frogacuda

Banned
BUMP!

So a cast list has been revealed via an IMDB leak. This is apparently accurate, but incomplete.

Highlights include Olivia d'Abo, June Lockhart, Todd Bridges, Keven Murphy (Tom Servo), Larry Thomas (Soup Nazi), and Steve Valentine, as well as a lot of returning faces.

Do you have a link? I just looked through the blog but I couldn't find any video showing the exploration mode.

1:30 into this video you will see some familiar locations.

But my favorite environment so far is (not story spoiler)
a creepy, abandoned office space with giant plants growing through the building interior.
Unfortunately I can't remember in which of the video updates it was featured...

Aaron

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised at how much it's looking like the older games. Not a complaint, but many years have passed. Technology has gotten better for graphics and such.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised at how much it's looking like the older games. Not a complaint, but many years have passed. Technology has gotten better for graphics and such.
I don't know. Captures the essence of what these folks did. They were huge in the FMV scene. Go back and look at their older games. It's a huge step up in that regard. I think it looks fantastic for a Tex Murphy game. They may not be a team concerned with the latest technology and trends.

Top Bottom