• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

Wiktor

An average pledge of $114 so far is pretty surreal. They're really successful with their higher tiers.

Same thing happened with Jane Jensen's KS early on. There were more 100+ pledges than 15 and 50 ones initially. It will even out later on in the campaign, but the first rush of adventure fans always seem to be very generous

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nooo but I'm interested if anyone can remember the game.
The only one I can think of was a freeware title -- it was FMV and in black and white -- but I can't remember the name.

Lemme research.

Found it: http://www.fatebynumbers.com/
Ah yes, that's it! I remember playing an hour of it before just getting distracted and moving on.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but there was a sci fi FMV adventure game called Darkstar that came out a couple of years ago. Never played it.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1265
Haha, I heard about this one but never wanted to spend money on it.

mclem

I missed this, but wtf, they let you download an HD version of UAKM for a $50 pledge? HORY SHET

Although obviously that wasn't true, I have to wonder if they've still got the source footage from their earlier titles - and if it's in a format that could perhaps be redigitised at a higher quality than we had back then.

Edit: Unless they're deliberately making a pun I'm missing, do you think someone should tell them that it's "foreword"?

bj00rn_

Banned
This is probably my favorite Kickstarter project and feel really good about backing it. Can't wait. Hope it gets funded and much more than that.

asa

Haven't played the games originally, I remember reading about it on a games magazine back then. And now, after watching the KS video I just feel like murdering my Visa card. So funny and original!

What is the sweet spot on this one, 100+ seems like it?

EmSeta

Seems like it's progressing kinda slowly, I'm worried. Though I haven't even had time to make my own contribution yet. Go Tex!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Seems like it's progressing kinda slowly, I'm worried. Though I haven't even had time to make my own contribution yet. Go Tex!

Slowly? The project is already 33% funded after just two days.

Bebpo

Banned
It'll make it with a slow trickle and then uptake over the last few days. They just need to keep at it with the updates and spread the word.

If Pinkerton road made it, this will make it.

Clipper

New update was made to ensure people the game is DRM free. Apparently there's some misinformation being injected from somewhere.

As for the state of the project, I'm very happy with how it's going so far. I think this thread has clearly shown that when they get around to putting an infodump from the video into the text description, there may be a massive rise in interest.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If anything in the world deserves funding this does.

This is the March of Dimes of video game kickstarters. Not donating should make you feel bad.

Frogacuda

Banned
I watched most of the vid in the op and glossed over the description on the KickStarter.

I see there's a lot of FMV implemented. Is the acting expected to be this...bad? I was cringing a lot. Reminded me of a bad B Movie. Like one of those old SegaCD FMV games like Sewer Shark or Sherlock Homes: Consulting Detective.
The vibe is definitely campy comedy. There is a B-movie sort of thing going on, but it's part of what makes the series fun.

Also, I hate how "FMV" has come to mean "live action". FMV used to be any video, whether it was a cartoon, pre-rendendered, whatever, and now it's just associated with these bad live-action Sega CD games, which is NOT what Tex games were. They were adventure games with very advanced 3D graphics and great gameplay that just happened to use live action cut scenes.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Might just have to do 50, was not expecting that bonus. So nice.

Clipper

If anything in the world deserves funding this does.

This is the March of Dimes of video game kickstarters. Not donating should make you feel bad.
Indeed!

Incidentally, have you ever wanted to add transparency to your avatar:
FERD_Haar.png

And while I was at it...:
FERD_Haar2.png

Watched the video.

I liked "worser" and The Piggy Bank, but everything else just seemed too overdone. I do enjoy me some SF Noir and PIs and Apocalypses, though.

Frogacuda

Banned
Although obviously that wasn't true, I have to wonder if they've still got the source footage from their earlier titles - and if it's in a format that could perhaps be redigitised at a higher quality than we had back then.
The don't, they lost the source :(
I liked "worser"
That was actually the last shot of Overseer. Two gun shots and a cut to black was how they ended the series. Part of why people are so rabid for a new one.
but everything else just seemed too overdone.
For a game, or for a pitch video? I mean judge it for what it is, I think it's gotta be one of the best KS pitches I've seen.

I could have benefited from some gameplay footage though, so people realize this is, in fact, a modern 3D game and not a Sega CD-ish FMV fest. They told me they're saving the gameplay footage for later though.

Medalion

Banned
Hnnngggg

more Tex Murphy FMV

More modern HD, tying into reality gossip shows, idealistic handheld portable technology video capture phones etc

It's weird to mix our current tech mindset to the UAKM storyline but damn if I am not excited

Yuripaw

Banned
Man, I wish this kickstarter was kicking off faster. Only at $200k, when it seemed promising to go high fast at first. I hope it gets enough funding for an xbox version, but I'm doubtful.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Indeed!

Incidentally, have you ever wanted to add transparency to your avatar:
FERD_Haar.png

And while I was at it...:
FERD_Haar2.png

Yeah, I know that little box makes some people crazy, so thanks for the transparency, oh king of homebrew.

The fedora is nice too, but one change at a time.

Frogacuda

Banned
Man, I wish this kickstarter was kicking off faster. Only at $200k, when it seemed promising to go high fast at first. I hope it gets enough funding for an xbox version, but I'm doubtful.

I think we should condsider ourselves lucky if a cult classic like Tex Murphy can muster nearly a half million from public donations at all. Frankly, this is doing far better than I expected.

When I saw the initial goal for this, I have to admit I had serious doubts that they could pull it off. Now it's looking like they're at least on track to make their goal (although it's not really a sure thing yet, I suppose, so GIVE GODDAMMIT).

scitek

I've never played any of these, but holy shit, Michael York was in one of them? The clips of them look fantastic. Can't wait to play a new one.

Clipper

For those who haven't played before, they just put up a video describing the gameplay. Aaron Conners does a great job of pointing out how Tex is not the same as the crappy FMV games. It's an adventure game in a fully explorable, 3D environment with FMV cutscenes and character interactions.

Frogacuda

Banned
For those who haven't played before, they just put up a video describing the gameplay. Aaron Conners does a great job of pointing out how Tex is not the same as the crappy FMV games. It's an adventure game in a fully explorable, 3D environment with FMV cutscenes and character interactions.

Yeah, they were really some of the first adventure games to start seriously thinking about the third dimension as a tool to make games better. A lot of games, even much later ones like Grim Fandango treated the third dimension like a concession to be tolerated rather than as something that could make a game BETTER.

The tex games were really cutting edge and if more games had taken cues from them in terms of 3D exploration, narrative pathing, hint system, etc the genre might not have been dumped for being dusty and old at the end of the 90s.

Frogacuda

Banned
By the way, they also revealed that the budget will be supplemented by $300,000 of their own money as well, so this is actually a bigger project that the goal would seem to indicate. I think it's going to be awesome.

tmarques

I'm not entirely convinced they can complete this game with 450k. I'll probably pledge $50 anyway, since I feel like I owe the guy.

I've never played any of these, but holy shit, Michael York was in one of them? The clips of them look fantastic. Can't wait to play a new one.

You should play some of the earlier games. I played through Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive for the first time last month and they were great.

Clipper

I'm not entirely convinced they can complete this game with 450k. I'll probably pledge $50 anyway, since I feel like I owe the guy.

Read the post two above yours. 450k from the Kick Starter means the game is actually going to be funded at 750k at least.

Frogacuda

Banned
They were making the game anyways. They need money for better equipment and hiring some actors.
From what I understand it's more for expanding the scope and the type of gameplay to be more similar to the old games. For a long time Project Fedora was concieved as a kind of low-budget compromise that would continue the Tex story, but feature more "casual" gameplay without the 3D exploration we've come to know and love. When double fine showed up, they saw an opportunity to make the game that they and fans REALLY wanted, rather than a watered down product.

El-Suave

Why isn't this game funded yet?!?!

It's not that easy anymore to raise that much money on Kickstarter. The initial enthusiasm for the platform is over, and some people wait for some of the games to deliver. I can't blame them - if Tex Murphy and "new Space Quest" weren't must pledges for me I'd probably hesitate to spend a lot of money on projects as well. But in these two cases it's now or never.

Still - if I were a developer that wants over 400k out of Kickstarter right now, I would make sure my campaign runs much longer than the ca. 30 days that seem to be the standard length at the moment.

Clipper

There's another new video and this one's pretty exciting (for me at least). Aaron discusses the story and it seems that the branching paths in Project Fedora are going to be even more diverse than the ones in The Pandora Directive. Entirely new goals seem to lie down this road, with the paths potentially well-deserving of another playthrough, something very rare for adventure games.

Whether you're a Tex fan or new to the series, you should really check it out to see where things are going, especially if you're one of the people that are suspicious of the project due to lack of written info in the project description. They are definitely focusing on putting most of the info in the videos this time.

Frogacuda

Banned
It's not that easy anymore to raise that much money on Kickstarter. The initial enthusiasm for the platform is over, and some people wait for some of the games to deliver. I can't blame them - if Tex Murphy and "new Space Quest" weren't must pledges for me I'd probably hesitate to spend a lot of money on projects as well. But in these two cases it's now or never.
Or it's a cult franchise that sputtered out with a whimper 14 years ago. I think it's going about as well as I ever could have expected. Better, in fact. Tex's following is small, but really very dedicated and they've come through big time.

I mean look, this thing is very much on target to get funded. They can't completely coast to the finish, but they're over the hump. If you reach over 50% on a six-figure goal in one week, it is very unlikely that you will fail in the end.

SpaceVenture has a few problems facing it.

1) It's following TWO campaigns that also involved Sierra game designers, AND it's running concurrently with another comedic adventure game, so people are spread a little thin.

2) The pitch video is as entertaining and natural as a PBS pledge drive, and contains no meaningful information about the game itself.

3) Their prototyping hook turned out to be a little confusing and underwhelming for people.

Clipper

Or it's a cult franchise that sputtered out with a whimper 14 years ago. I think it's going about as well as I ever could have expected. Better, in fact. Tex's following is small, but really very dedicated and they've come through big time.
The Tex series didn't really splutter out, though. Microsoft outright smothered it when they bought Access Software to exploit the Links golf license.

Frogacuda

Banned
The Tex series didn't really splutter out, though. Microsoft outright smothered it when they bought Access Software to exploit the Links golf license.

I meant more that the last game, Overseer, wasn't nearly as good as the previous two, and sold poorly.

I realize that they made a deal with the devil and had to make in 9 months and all that, but most people don't think about that, they just think about it being disappointed.

That said, I'd kill for even an Overseer-quality Tex now.

Top Bottom