• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas cop fatally shoots 15-year-old boy outside party

Derwind

There's just not much left to say that hasn't already been said.

Nothing will change unless the consensus in America is that their is a deep fundamental problem with Law Enforcement.

I'm so sick and tired of the utter incompetence to absolutely criminal conduct on display by those that are meant to "protect".

R.I.P... condolences to the friends & family of the young life that was cut short.

Why do people run interference for shitty people? Like, even if you somehow managed to prove that his intentions were pure~ with no racial motivation, we're still talking about child killer. What prize do you win? Why does it bother someone so much that the "r-word" might be applied to him?

Fucking racist gunslinger fascist cops, and fuck the racist, corrupt institutions that protect them. That enough adjectives to describe the protectors of our communities?

Jonesing for power, a lot of bullies and undesirables are gonna get recruited. A lot. Psychological and intelligence testing should be a barrier to recruitment, but then I remember that one article where they said they were turning away people that were too intelligent to be cops.

Fuck my life then.

Wiseblade

"What are the odds it's a... WHAT A SURPRISE."

Initial reports of the officer being threatened for his life by "aggressive movements" only for later clarification that the car was driving away and posed no threat simply prove that the cop involved is a disgrace and undeserving of any consideration. Throw the book at this murderer.

Kid did nothing wrong at all and takes a slug to the head, if there aren't firm legal consequences for it there will be a different type of consequence, this shit burns in people's minds for years and influences them to think and behave accordingly.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Wait so he just shot at children in a car because they didnt listen? Not at the tyre (still way to dangerous) or something? He straight up decided to shoot to kill at people that were not obeying him and were trying to flee?

What the fuck is up with the US justice system where that shit happens?!

How are US riots handled if cops just start firing at fucking CHILDREN for underage drinking?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sickening.... I don't even wanna know what would happen if a german policemen shot a child.

The US police force is a goddamn mess.

If it was in France, the cops would have (somehow) shot the driver in the leg, removing his ability to drive the car.

Instead of murdering the passenger........

that's because in countries like France and most European countries where cops are not routinely armed (and even in EU ones where they are), they are trained to be marksmen and make every shot count, and to where possible incapacitate and not kill - In the US they give them guns, put them in a firing range and make sure they can hit things

This is just depressing, 11pm looking for drunken teens, see a car driving off and immediately fire into it, because ya know it might be a suspect

Is the overriding policy in the US shoot first ask questions later?

boiled goose

good with gravy
It should be illegal for cops to shoot into s Fucking car.

If you are so close you can't get out of the way, shooting is not gonna stop a car.

Plus you cant see who you're shooting at.

This is gang like behavior. Not law enforcement.

BriGuy

Sounding more and more like straight up murder. What the hell was going through that officer's head? What's the justification?

Heavy article is a very good summary of what's going on here if anyone is looking for a single page to read.

Another awful story.

RIP young brother.

edit: oof at this thread.

R0ckman

Why is America so spooked at developing a system where cops have serious conseqiences for their screw ups? Hell even when seeing people ask about it online, people will respond with nonsense like -"There is corruption in everyone." As if thats an excuse to allow police corruption to continue.

The more authority you have the heavier the consequencies when you screw up. A elemtary student would know not to give them MORE leniency with their authority.

cameron

Update: https://twitter.com/BLBlackburn/status/859155838346330112

Bradley Blackburn‏ @BLBlackburn (reporter for local ABC station)

Stunning about face from Balch Springs Police Chief, no longer says car was moving aggressively. Moving away from officer when he shot.
The first police statement could've easily omitted the nonsense about an "unknown altercation with a vehicle backing down the street toward the officers in an aggressive manner", but they just had to poison the well with a reactionary auto defense that the officer did nothing wrong. Their explanation didn't make any sense, but who cares? Something something aggressive manner!

There were other police officers on the scene at the time of the shooting, and they couldn't be bothered to ensure that the initial reporting wasn't bullshit. The police chief couldn't be bothered, either.
However, Haber said in a press conference Monday that he "misspoke" the day before when he said the vehicle was backing up toward the officers.

After looking at body cam footage, Haber said it actually appears that the car was driving away from the officers when shots were fired.

Haber said after looking into the incident further, the details were "contradictory" to the original information that was provided to him on Sunday and he took responsibility for providing misinformation.

"I unintentionally, incorrectly said the vehicle was backing down the road," Haber said. "According to the video, the vehicle was moving forward as the officer approached."

Haber added, "After reviewing the video, I don’t believe that [the shooting] met our core values."

The video footage will not be released to the public, Haber said. The police chief also declined to answer questions as to what the video contained, due to the ongoing investigation.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-involved-shooting-teen-killed-rifle-left-house/story?id=47143551

Dude wouldn't have "misspoke" if he initially just said that he doesn't have any details because they're just starting their investigation and he hasn't seen whatever video footage, rather than parrot the "aggressive manner" rubbish.

It should be illegal for cops to shoot into s Fucking car.

If you are so close you can't get out of the way, shooting is not gonna stop a car.

Plus you cant see who you're shooting at.

This is gang like behavior. Not law enforcement.

Balch Springs Police Department's use of force policy recommends not shooting at an incoming car:
Balch Springs' official use-of-force policy encourages officers facing an oncoming vehicle to "attempt to move out of its path, if possible, instead of discharging a firearm at it or any of its occupants." The policy was posted online by 'Point of Impact,' a series on police shootings reported by freelance journalist Eva Ruth Moravec. It echoes the advice given by the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/In...ings-officer-involved-shooting-420851653.html

Par Score

The first police statement could've easily omitted the nonsense about an "unknown altercation with a vehicle backing down the street toward the officers in an aggressive manner", but they just had to poison the well with a reactionary auto defense that the officer did nothing wrong. Their explanation didn't make any sense, but who cares? Something something aggressive manner!

There were other police officers on the scene at the time of the shooting, and they couldn't be bothered to ensure that the initial reporting wasn't bullshit. The police chief couldn't be bothered, either.

Yeah, it's absolutely disgusting, and also totally unsurprising. This has been standard operating practice for a long time now.

If you can defame and malign your victim hard enough and fast enough, it turns out you can usually get away with murder.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-involved-shooting-teen-killed-rifle-left-house/story?id=47143551

Dude wouldn't have "misspoke" if he initially just said that he doesn't have any details because they're just starting their investigation and he hasn't seen whatever video footage, rather than parrot the "aggressive manner" rubbish.

Balch Springs Police Department's use of force policy recommends not shooting at an incoming car:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/In...ings-officer-involved-shooting-420851653.html

He's admitting fault here. I'm actually kinda surprised.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So his immediate reaction was to try to justify it before even properly reviewing what happened?

That's fucked, but not at all surprising.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Being Canadian I feel bad for minorities in America, does Canada have its fair share of problems? Of course it does however seeing stories like this used to phase me now it doesnt sadly, especially when the people of America can't do anything about it. God bless you all.

At this point anyone who still believes when police say "I feared for my life" or "They reached for a/my weapon", is willfully ignorant, at best. At worst, they sympathize with these cops who know they can get away with murder with simply phrasing

So his immediate reaction was to try to justify it before even properly reviewing what happened?

That's fucked, but not at all surprising.

Like I said early in the topic, it's lies upon incompetence layered on even more lies with police. It astounds me that people call us "outraged" or "unfair" when the default standard should be cops having to do everything thing they can to prove that a life was worth taking rather than just believing them from word one because they have a badge on. This job attracts some of the worst kinds of people who get off on wielding lethal power and has them put on a pedestal and protected not only by hero-worshiping citizenry but a legal system that defends them like a mother bear.

I honestly believe that this ins't all cops. However for the same reason I say this, is the exact reason someone can say the opposite. There is no national database logging all the complaints and incidents for cops. That to me is insanity, especially when you hear that some precincts have any complaints or incidents removed from an officers record.

Maybe there is systematic abuse of power among cops. However we have no way of proving this without the info.

Imm0rt4l

Why do people run interference for shitty people? Like, even if you somehow managed to prove that his intentions were pure~ with no racial motivation, we're still talking about child killer. What prize do you win? Why does it bother someone so much that the "r-word" might be applied to him?
They have a vested interest in white supremacy and it's artifacts ie:police.

Why is America so spooked at developing a system where cops have serious conseqiences for their screw ups? Hell even when seeing people ask about it online, people will respond with nonsense like -"There is corruption in everyone." As if thats an excuse to allow police corruption to continue.

The more authority you have the heavier the consequencies when you screw up. A elemtary student would know not to give them MORE leniency with their authority.
IMO it's a combination of ignorance and racism. From cradle to grave, in general, US whites are treated fairly by police. So when someone is a victim of police violence then they MUST have done something to deserve that reaction from police. Officers are given a huge benefit of the doubt.

Add racism to the mix and forget it. Blacks and Latinos have been successfully smeared as the criminal class for centuries here. US cities are heavily segregated and there are too many homogeneously white communities. Minorities are "otherized" and live on 'that side of town'. With no substantive contact there is a lack of humanization and all some people have to go by are what their communities say about minorities, and the stereotypes perpetuated by American society at large.

So Americans have no problem with police screw ups as long as the eggs broken are black and brown ones. Police are right 99% and once in a blue moon a "bad apple" screws up. I've never seen a deity face to face so for all intents and purposes, police are Gods for a large amount of white people in the US.

Opto

Banned
Every single cop show depicts the internal affairs department as either corrupt or foolish for following a false lead. Even in Brooklyn 99 they all complain if IA shows up.

So in part, american media has sold the story that investigating and penalizing cops is not "good" because it gets in the way of catching murderer/rapist of the week.

So has a hit piece been released on the victim yet? Maybe had detention one day for being late?

It's absolutely insane knowing that with our current justice department, any sort of police overhaul is out the window.

Zaphod

I honestly believe that this ins't all cops. However for the same reason I say this, is the exact reason someone can say the opposite. There is no national database logging all the complaints and incidents for cops. That to me is insanity, especially when you hear that some precincts have any complaints or incidents removed from an officers record.

Maybe there is systematic abuse of power among cops. However we have no way of proving this without the info.

The sad thing is we do have a new government funded national hotline to call if an immigrant causes harm, but we can hardly hold our public servants accountable when they commit crimes and murder.

So has a hit piece been released on the victim yet? Maybe had detention one day for being late?

Nothing that I've seen yet, but well see what happens. I expect a few now to run interference for the officers now that it's been shown they've bold-faced lied to the public. Media and citizens will warp what they need to paint it as the fault of a dead boy or create a narrative that he deserved to die.

The sad thing is we do have a new government funded national hotline to call if an immigrant causes harm, but we can hardly hold our public servants accountable when they commit crimes and murder.

It's just one example of the cognitive dissonance America has fostered since its inception.

Crocodile

Is it me or has there not been a lot of coverage of this in the media? Trump's America?

Anyway, RIP to this kid and my condolences to his family. I want to say how this played out and some of the info released recently was surprising but unfortunately its not :(

LOL So Naive. How about Black people constantly being the victims and telling you for over a century.

Got

Banned

It's absolutely insane knowing that with our current justice department, any sort of police overhaul is out the window.

We'll know if it has cuz '77 Shortbox will waddle in here to proclaim the more information he was waiting on showed up.

We'll know if it has cuz '77 Shortbox will waddle in here to proclaim the more information he was waiting on showed up.

Not just them. I don't doubt there are many lurkers grinding their teeth and refreshing their favorite "news" sites for a story about how Jordan made a 55 on a math test to toss into the topic. The sick pleasure people get out of painting dead black people (particularly children) as monsters makes me physically ill

Enzom21

They fired him, now let's see some charges.
Balch Springs police Tuesday fired the officer who fatally shot a 15-year-old as he was leaving a party.
Roy Oliver fired his rifle into a car of unarmed teens Saturday night as they drove away, fatally striking Jordan Edwards in the head. Jordan's brothers were also in the car. Originally, police had said the car was aggressively backing up toward officers.

The department said Oliver, who has been on the force nearly 6 years, violated several policies but would not elaborate. The department declined to identify the police officer's race.

Top Bottom