• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Gun Mettle Update - CSGO style Skins for TF2 weapons and new maps

A complete bankruptcy of ideas. They basically just took CS:GO's systems and applied them to TF2: weapon skins, contracts, weapon switching. Christ, this is bad. Where's the competitive matchmaking?

There hasn't been a good substantive update to TF2 in forever, and there probably won't be for a while. While it is nice there are new maps, where the fuck is Swiftwater becoming an official map? The one map that is played the most for competitive TF2? Or for that matter, what about Territorial Control? The idea is pretty good. All that it needs is some changes and a new map or two, and there'll be another great game mode.

As a guy whose sunk atleast 350+ hours in TF2, it feels like Valve has abandoned it for Dota and CS. Which is a real shame. Hopefully, there are at least 2 or 3 big updates in the works, culminating in something major for the 10th(!) anniversary of the game in 2017.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wait. No. I didn't read this earlier.

no

valve

valve please

What on Earth are they thinking? Did the Heavy need to be more of a tank? The Brass Beast is bad enough as it is.
I'm thinking he has so many drawbacks in higher organized skill, same goes for spy.

It's leading up to matchmaking games with actual skill rating.

Sold. Haters can fuck off. There are only a handful of games 8 years into existence that are still getting regular updates and TF2 is one of the few that is actually still fun. Artstyle and gameplay stand the test of time. Anything that brings players back home for awhile is fine by me, even if it isn't perfect.

So Valve and the community get another hearty "hell yea" from DV.

What on Earth are they thinking? Did the Heavy need to be more of a tank? The Brass Beast is bad enough as it is.
yes? he wasn't roundly considered the worst class for no reason. He needed buffs in the worst way.

Omega

Banned
None of these skins can be acquired without spending additional money, right?

Sometimes I wish TF2 didn't go f2p.

?

CSGO isn't free to play and has had this for about two years now. Has nothing to do with the pricing scheme of the game, it's Valve seeing a way to monetize the game.

Bluth54

A complete bankruptcy of ideas. They basically just took CS:GO's systems and applied them to TF2: weapon skins, contracts, weapon switching. Christ, this is bad. Where's the competitive matchmaking?

There hasn't been a good substantive update to TF2 in forever, and there probably won't be for a while. While it is nice there are new maps, where the fuck is Swiftwater becoming an official map? The one map that is played the most for competitive TF2? Or for that matter, what about Territorial Control? The idea is pretty good. All that it needs is some changes and a new map or two, and there'll be another great game mode.

As a guy whose sunk atleast 350+ hours in TF2, it feels like Valve has abandoned it for Dota and CS. Which is a real shame. Hopefully, there are at least 2 or 3 big updates in the works, culminating in something major for the 10th(!) anniversary of the game in 2017.

Other Valve games have taken a bunch of ideas introduced in TF2 first and ran with them, what's wrong with TF2 taking ideas from other Valve games and running with them?

The reason that they didn't add Swiftwater in this update was because they added maps that were on the workshop (as seen in the FAQ, it says if you want Valve to consider your map for future campaigns add it to the workshop) and Swiftwater wasn't added to the workshop until today (thanks to me actually, yesterday I emailed the author of Swiftwater and asked him to add it to the workshop, I got an email back today from him saying he's been meaning to do it and finally decided to because of my email). Swiftwater is such a popular map I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the maps in the next campaign they do.

?

CSGO isn't free to play and has had this for about two years now. Has nothing to do with the pricing scheme of the game, it's Valve seeing a way to monetize the game.

You misunderstand, I'm referring to that since TF2 went f2p we aren't going to see any marketable cosmetic drops even if we bought the game when it was a paid product in comparison to CS:GO which has been a purchasable product the entire time.

But hey, we all got a hat. :|

LDAF

Good timing for me, since I literally started playing again yesterday. I'm not really a fan of the changes I'm reading (a lot of this seems to be CSGO-ifying TF2), but I'll give it a chance.

jediyoshi

It is odd they'd spend more time and money on games with larger playerbases and return more money.

Good timing for me, since I literally started playing again yesterday. I'm not really a fan of the changes I'm reading (a lot of this seems to be CSGO-ifying TF2), but I'll give it a chance.

it's just a new way to make cosmetics interesting again. game isn't changing outside of the re-balance and a new mode offering a new way to play.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm not sure I understand the "-50% cloak meter on Feign Death" for the Dead Ringer Spy.

Isn't "Feign Death" the only way to trigger cloak with that loadout, anyway?
Why not just increase the meters depletion rate?

Is it saying that now you don't need a full cloak meter to "Feign Death" as long as you have more than half the bar?

EDIT: I am going to return for this update cynically, hoping I get a random drop or two that I can sell towards my Steam Wallet for sales and such.
Last time I used one of those "free Christmas keys" on a crate I ended up with an item that went for 50 bucks on the market and bought me a game.

Awesome additions. IF cosmetic weapon skins make cases worth money now and adds more funding for TF2 it's a win win. Now I hope they make all weapons available from the start.

joeblow

I play thousands of hours with four different classes hardcore and they nerf my favorite weapon, Loch 'n Load. =/

Zia

That Japanese themed map doesn't fit the TF2 aesthetic at all.

Hope they make the skins marketable. That'll really bring in the new players.

Dryk

TF2 had me for 5 years, but once I tore myself away I don't see myself going back. The game's great but I could be playing other games.

While it is nice there are new maps, where the fuck is Swiftwater becoming an official map?
Hah. I gave up on that ever happening like 5 years ago.

TF2 devs don't have to be on the workshop all day looking at what skins to add.

well, now they do. but not before

Wouldn't want to actually develop something themselves after all. Idiots are too busy throwing money at them for weapons colours.

It would be nice if they gave something meaningful, but it is a very old game. After 2500 hours, I doubt there is anything left for me in TF2.

Man, this game has changed so much. Does it even remotely play like the original?

Everytime I've played it in the past it's felt more like an episode of looney toons instead of a game.

Wouldn't want to actually develop something themselves after all. Idiots are too busy throwing money at them for weapons colours.

It would be nice if they gave something meaningful, but it is a very old game. After 2500 hours, I doubt there is anything left for me in TF2.

Why are people idiots for throwing spare cash at a game they like to buy cosmetics that don't affect gameplay?

Bluth54

We're getting a new Valve made map (in a new style that hasn't been done before, it's 5CP style but with 3 points) plus a ton of balance changes. That's fairly meaningful.

We're getting a new Valve made map (in a new style that hasn't been done before, it's 5CP style but with 3 points) plus a ton of balance changes. That's fairly meaningful.

Play more custom made maps, the valve maps haven't added anything new or original for years.The TF2 population has been very slowly decreasing the past 2 years, this update is a obvious attempt to squeeze a few last dollars out of the playerbase.

Why are people idiots for throwing spare cash at a game they like to buy cosmetics that don't affect gameplay?

Spare cash you say?

Play more custom made maps, the valve maps haven't added anything new or original for years.The TF2 population has been very slowly decreasing the past 2 years, this update is a obvious attempt to squeeze a few last dollars out of the playerbase.

Spare cash you say?

What this update did for CSGO is put it on the map and help fund the updates and tournaments that made the game a monster it is today when it was nearly doa. Because of the keys and cases we get a 250k major every few months. Does'nt seem like a coincidence we got the map workshop along with the skins and cases and a huge balance patch right before the rumored competitive mode update. Best part is if you don't care at all for skins you get free money selling these cases on the market. The operations pay for themselves and the community map makers and content creators all get a cut.

Bluth54

That's not true about the TF2 player base, it's actually been slowly increasing and hit the highest it's ever been at last November with the release of the last Halloween update.

I do play a lot of custom maps, I'm a member of TF2maps.net and play test various maps on their server. I love custom maps, which is why I'm so happy Valve is adding 3 new custom maps to the game in this update.

Also Valve has been trying new things with maps. Asteroid is a new gamemode that's a CTF variant and the final stage of Cactus Canyon has some things that I've never seen in any payload map before, either official or custom. This new map is also something different from any maps that we've gotten before. I'm not sure how you can say that Valve maps haven't added anything new in years when the last 3 new maps (that weren't redone maps for Mannpower) have all been new and different from previous maps in some way.

Other Valve games have taken a bunch of ideas introduced in TF2 first and ran with them, what's wrong with TF2 taking ideas from other Valve games and running with them?

The reason that they didn't add Swiftwater in this update was because they added maps that were on the workshop (as seen in the FAQ, it says if you want Valve to consider your map for future campaigns add it to the workshop) and Swiftwater wasn't added to the workshop until today (thanks to me actually, yesterday I emailed the author of Swiftwater and asked him to add it to the workshop, I got an email back today from him saying he's been meaning to do it and finally decided to because of my email). Swiftwater is such a popular map I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the maps in the next campaign they do.

I have no issue that something from CS:GO is being implemented into TF2. It's more like, the core ideas of this update are just direct lifts from CS:GO. TF2 updates used to have something cool behind their updates like Pyromania, Mann vs. Machine, or the Halloween updates. All of the major updates prior to End of the Line had something new, something worth jumping back into TF2 for. But, now, with the only things the new update brings are maps & CS:GO mechanics, it just feels like a let-down. That won't stop me from jumping back in for a couple of hours, but it's the third in a string of mediocre updates in my eyes. Halloween 2014 was nowhere near as fun as previous editions, End of The Line was supposed to be this big train event that ended up bringing new hats and a really cool Payload map that ended up being canned, and now this.

Also, woo! I guess I know what's going to get bundled into the competitive matchmaking update whenever it comes out.

Bluth54

I have no issue that something from CS:GO is being implemented into TF2. It's more like, the core ideas of this update are just direct lifts from CS:GO. TF2 updates used to have something cool behind their updates like Pyromania, Mann vs. Machine, or the Halloween updates. All of the major updates prior to End of the Line had something new, something worth jumping back into TF2 for. But, now, with the only things the new update brings are maps & CS:GO mechanics, it just feels like a let-down. That won't stop me from jumping back in for a couple of hours, but it's the third in a string of mediocre updates in my eyes. Halloween 2014 was nowhere near as fun as previous editions, End of The Line was supposed to be this big train event that ended up bringing new hats and a really cool Payload map that ended up being canned, and now this.

Also, woo! I guess I know what's going to get bundled into the competitive matchmaking update whenever it comes out.

Actually one of the maps in this update, CP_Snowplow was going to be the map to ship with the End of the Line update. Better late then never.

Edit: I wont disagree that a lot of the major updates recently have been disappointing, I just feel this one is much better then what we have been getting.

impact

Banned
Gotta try to get people back on the TF2 horse now that it's starting to lose some... Steam. (Pun totally not intended by let's run with it) Why not copy CS:GO which is gaining traction?

On one hand: I prefer this method. It's muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better than the (IMO) shitty class kit updates that ruined the delicate balance of TF2 for me. On the other: The animals have already bolted from that barn, so... not much good this is going to do to put the genie (class updates) back in the bottle for me. :/

Wait, you don't just play bots in TF2 as well? ;D

Neol

Haven't played TF2 in over a year.

Might bring out the strange ol' krtizkrieg for good times sake.

Blizzard

Banned
why is the server list still so ugly and archaic
I feel the opposite. I wish other games had as full-featured a server list as Source games. You can see actual, numeric pings. Once you get ingame, you can also see actual, numeric pings. You can search big lists of servers for keywords, names, sort by people occupying the servers, game type, etc. You don't have to deal with a flashier interface having slow user response, removing certain advanced features, etc.

There may be some issues where not all servers show up in search. Admittedly, I'm not an expert on that.

Moobabe

So I have never bought one of the mission packs in CS:GO so can someone clarify something for me.

Are these weapon skins ONLY for the mission? Can we still get these multi coloured gun skins via drops like we can in CS:GO?

Edit

Also the crates are exclusive to the missions, but then you also have to buy mission crate exclusive keys as well?

Eurgh

Top Bottom