• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TF2 Gun Mettle Update - CSGO style Skins for TF2 weapons and new maps

What the fuckles have they done to my Engineer!!
I am GLAD that buildings will redeploy faster, but increased metal for fixing is a bummer.
And RIP the short circuit, I made plenty a demoman upset spamming that lil thing when they tried to take down my sentry nest. Or just spam it in front of the team while the opposing team was pushing with soldiers and demomen. It always felt so good, but I knew it was wrong heheh. Now that they added a lil cooldown between bursts I wonder if it's gonna be more difficult to do so.

Picking up weapons on the field though, woah. That's gonna make things interesting for sure. I'm gonna have to see how this all impacts the tried and tested gameplay at this point.

AJ_Wings

Best change so far is Mini Sentry's base health when initially built is at 50% and needs to be upgraded.

Seriously, fuck mini sentries. Destroyers of fun. :(

Moobabe

Best change so far is Mini Sentry's base health when initially built is at 50% and needs to be upgraded.

Seriously, fuck mini sentries. Destroyers of fun. :(

That and the Loch & Load man.. so much rage. Happy to see them both nerfed.

Edit

So these skins - will they just sit on top of our current weapons and keep the stats we already have?

Bluth54

So I have never bought one of the mission packs in CS:GO so can someone clarify something for me.

Are these weapon skins ONLY for the mission? Can we still get these multi coloured gun skins via drops like we can in CS:GO?

Edit

Also the crates are exclusive to the missions, but then you also have to buy mission crate exclusive keys as well?

Eurgh

Based on this "For the first time, test your mettle on a variety of skill-based contracts, with one-of-a-kind weapons and exclusive weapon cases as rewards." I believe you can only get the weapon skins and creates if you buy the campaign pass.

And yes I imagine you will have to buy a special key for the campaign crates that drop.

A-V-B

No, my babyface :(((((

The most fun I've ever had were suicide runs with intel where I made it out with 1hp... now those will never happen again because boost is drained on damage.

Combined with a big boost reduction that annihilates any air mobility... babyface is just a novelty now

Damnit... why...

Metal-Geo

Not sure about the mini sentry buffs. The mini sentry has always been for the offending Engineer. Not for the defending. It being irreparable was one of its key 'features' that defined its uses.

The Spy buffs I can sort of understand though. That class was slowly becoming a bit of a joke. One of the few classes that I had no trouble killing. But on the other hand, the Spy has always been one of the 'tough-to-master' classes.

Those Heavy buffs though. Whoa.

Bluth54

Not sure about the mini sentry buffs. The mini sentry has always been for the offending Engineer. Not for the defending. It being irreparable was one of its key 'features' that defined its uses.

I wouldn't call the mini-sentry changes a buff, more like a rework.

Yes they can be repaired now, but they build more slowly and only start at half health when building, so it's much easier to destroy them while they are being built. Also the engie doesn't get metal from the gibbs.

derFeef

I wonder if TF2 is worth going back to, or if it feels even more alienated to me now :(
Gosh this game was so much fun.

As an avid TF2 player that's put quite a bit of time in the game and has recently started playing again, I'm excited for this update.

I almost exclusively use the dead ringer for my spy, so that nerf is going to force me to use other watches. It's a good thing they're buffing the other watches though.

The engineer stuff is most interesting to me. I don't really play as gunsling anymore so that nerf doesn't make me as sad as it would've before. Although, in my experience, a mini-sentry when used for fast deployment is only meant to distract an enemy while I go in for the kill. So maybe the nerf isn't as bad all things considering, especially now that you can repair them. But the faster build speeds seem great to me as an infiltration engie (putting teles and sentries behind the spawn points of the other team).

The new maps seem good. I'm always up for payload and this one being official will means people might actually play it.

I don't think the dropped weapons mechanic is going to change much of the metagame but I wonder how the mechanic will work with items like the eyelander that take your health. Will it reduce your health or will it just function like a stock melee weapon?

Weapon skins matter just as much to me as other cosmetic items. I'm sure some people find that stuff entertaining but I think it just makes the game look tacky.

Overall, this update doesn't seem too drastic. I'm sure that some of the more radical changes will be smoothed out after a week but if not, I'm fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, update sucks.

deleted

Since there is still a Part 2 on the site, does that mean that there could still be the ranked mode coming that's been announced?

Edit: Nevermind, It's too hot to realize that I can click part 2...

Since there is still a Part 2 on the site, does that mean that there could still be the ranked mode coming that's been announced?

Part 2 is already up. It's about the maps, new items, taunts, achievements and balance changes.

I'm thinking he has so many drawbacks in higher organized skill, same goes for spy.

It's leading up to matchmaking games with actual skill rating.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

TxdoHawk

Not thrilled with the whole "buy a pass to get the ability to get weapon cases you have to pay to unlock" thing, but at least there are also straight gun drops as well for contracts.

I'm still going to probably wind up buying case keys anyway. Two payola hoops to jump through = those cased guns are going to resell super nicely. I'm in it to win it, son.

Not thrilled with the whole "buy a pass to get the ability to get weapon cases you have to pay to unlock" thing, but at least there are also straight gun drops as well for contracts.

I'm still going to probably wind up buying case keys anyway. Two payola hoops to jump through = those cased guns are going to resell super nicely. I'm in it to win it, son.

If it's anything like CS:GO, case drops basically pay for the pass itself since people pay ridiculous money on the market for them for some reason.

The Spy buffs I can sort of understand though. That class was slowly becoming a bit of a joke. One of the few classes that I had no trouble killing. But on the other hand, the Spy has always been one of the 'tough-to-master' classes.

Those Heavy buffs though. Whoa.

Right? Glad I'm not the only one who sees what a nightmare that will be. Two Blu Heavies with Brass Beasts on Payload with a Medic will be unstoppable.

Spies, though... maybe I'm terrible at TF2, but some spies fuck my shit up constantly. I don't think that they needed a buff. They were always a Glass Cannon. Now they're a Plexiglass Cannon.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Right? Glad I'm not the only one who sees what a nightmare that will be. Two Blu Heavies with Brass Beasts on Payload with a Medic will be unstoppable.

Spies, though... maybe I'm terrible at TF2, but some spies fuck my shit up constantly. I don't think that they needed a buff. They were always a Glass Cannon. Now they're a Plexiglass Cannon.

A good spy is really annoying, especially on payload servers that have 30 players, because a spy will go mostly unnoticed while everyone bitches about nobody spy checking.

woopWOOP

Bushwacka
Changed penalty from +20% fire vulnerability to +20% damage vulnerability while active
Aw man, no more commando sniper, running around critting unsuspecting debuffed enemies, I guess.
Guess I'd better switch to Sandvich now I can't spam the chocolate bar no more either.

Other than that some nice changes imo. Think I'll try the Scorch Shot again now.

TxdoHawk

So is this out? When is it out? The site doesn't say. My Mac client didn't update yet.. so I assume it isn't out yet?

Supposed to be today. I wouldn't worry too much about the exact time, it seems like anytime TF2 does something this involved the servers break for the first couple of hours anyway.

Zubz

Banned
I never played any of the CounterStrike games, but I'll have to give this a whirl. Either way, there's a new comic out; no matter what happens as a result of an update to this game, the comics are always fantastic! And, of course, this one was no exception. I liked the lack-of-rapport going on between Ms. Pauling's serious/driven attitude and Saxton's boisterousness/audacity.

The TF2 comics and shorts are such a treat whenever they show up, I really wish they had people working on those more regularly. It's amazing what they've done with the characters - especially side characters that barely factor into the actual game like Pauling and Hale - from a multiplayer shooter.
Exactly, I love the comics and whenever a new one is released, its exciting.

Jumplion

I always forget about TF2 until these huge updates, and at that point I have no idea what the hell is going on. So many weapons, hats, crates, hats, now skins, hats, and another dozen weapons that I will never be able ot use because I don't play enough. And hats.

It's a mess balance/design-wise now. But damnit if it don't look shiney as all fuck.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Edit: Nevermind, It's too hot to realize that I can click part 2...

I don't know if its worth anything, but I saw something on reddit saying Ranked mode was planned for October.

I think I may pay up the $6 and put some time into TF2, the challenges sound fun. Plus, the new maps look like they could be enjoyable.

Forkball

TF2 inspired CS GO's item system, which then inspired TF2's newest update. Everything comes full circle!

I fear the day Valve makes a TCG. Nations will fall.

I don't know if its worth anything, but I saw something on reddit saying Ranked mode was planned for October.

I think I may pay up the $6 and put some time into TF2, the challenges sound fun. Plus, the new maps look like they could be enjoyable.

That was a misunderstanding. It was during the video discussion the competitive guys did. What they meant was how Valve having plans for competitive MM leaked around last October. Then they got in touch with Valve about it, got invited and said it's going to be months till it gets implemented, but no concrete timeframe.

Helznicht

Team Fortress Quake. Probably my most played game of all time. I ran a server and a clan with a buddy oh so many years ago.

I was so excited when they announced TF2 originally.
1202824-tf2_oldstyle.jpg

Too bad we never got that game. :(

Tried TFC, it was very clunky feeling compared to the smooth quake engine of the original.

I tried the new TF2 and, well, its not for me, and not remotely like the same game.

Hereis a nice article on the history of TF. http://www.giantbomb.com/robin-walker/3040-4508/

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man, I haven't played TF2 in ages and I have no idea what I am going to do with myself for a large chunk of this coming 3 day weekend. I may have to check this out.

Javaman

Not feeling the medic changes. The vaccinator is a PITA to use and the ubercharge nerf while overhealing sucks.

Some of these seem like changes just for the sake of changes.

fhqwhgads

Not feeling the medic changes. The vaccinator is a PITA to use and the ubercharge nerf while overhealing sucks.

Some of these seem like changes just for the sake of changes.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of them either. Most of the changes are good, but some of them like the Pocket Pistol nerf, the mentioned Medic nerfs and the lack of worthwhile Pyro changes are disappointing.

Top Bottom